PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex Main Gear Bearing Removal?

Sako
01-02-2007, 07:59 AM
I stripped the main gear in my Trex. I can't seem to get the bearing out of the main gear. I've already ruined it with a hammer and screw driver, but would like to know for future reference how it comes out?

thanks in advance!

Adrian
01-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah good question, Ive got an Se, had a few bumpy landings, but not major one's (yet) But I hear the bearing can pose problems-fore warned would be a good thing.:D

ovalwindr
01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
If you go to the Readyheli website in the tool section, the is a bearing removal/install tool for the trex. Used mine once and it works like a champ!

Tom Lambert
01-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Readyheli website? Can you be more spasific on the link?
Thanks
Tom Lambert

Tom Lambert
01-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Never mind. I miss-spelled the word when entering it in the address bar. Another senior moment.
Thanks again for the link. I added it to my long list of, "where to spend my money".
Tom Lambert

PilotDane
01-08-2007, 09:10 PM
I have a 1/4" drive metric and english socket set. I found one socket that almost perfectly fit the outter race of the bearing and another that supported the gear housing. The bearing is so small and fragile that you will kill the bearing if you pound on the inner race. The original bearing from the factory was in there VERY tight. It took a rather hard hit with a 16oz hammer to get it moving, but it did come out without damage. Start with light taps and get harder and harder until it starts to move.

I used the socket again to tap the bearing into the new gear. It is difficult to get the bearing to start straight but you can do it if you are careful. I think you could also use a long bolt, a nut and several washers to assemble it, tightening the nut on the bolt to pull/push the bearing into the gear.

Tom Lambert
01-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Hello All.
I have a better way to remove and install any bearing in small flat objects such as the main gear.It requires a drill press.
NOTE: You DO NOT turn on the drill press for the following method. You only use the drill press as a press.
1. I made several round pressing tools, of round brass stock, or ground down bolts with the heads removed, that is about .003 inch smaller than the OD of the bearings I will be working with.
2. I took a piece of 1/2 inch thick wood board, and drilled a series of holes, about a 1/4 inch deep, that the sockets and round tooling would snugly fit in. This provides a good base support for the tooling.
3. I selected a series of sockets, which fits the outer race or surface material, the bearing is in, and who’s ID clears the bearing.
4. To install a bearing, I install the appropriate size, round pressing tool in the chuck of my drill press. I install the correct socket in the right hole in the bottom wood support. I carefully align the tooling, material and bearing, then turning the handle of the drill press, press in the bearing.
5. To remove the bearing, I simply chuck up the socket, use a board that supports the bolt and again carefully align the bearing with the tooling and material, press the bearing out.
No hammer, no pounding, no damage.
Hope this makes it easer for someone.
Tom Lambert

ovalwindr
01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
The drill press idea would work great also. You should also look at grandrc, another great place to spend, plus if you are a first time customer you get 10% off. Just added a newborn to the household, a trex600 or as my 4 1/2 year old calls it, a whopper chopper. You can build as you want and just add your tx.