PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Cheap, new radio gear (3 or 4 channel)

pace_likethesalsa
09-27-2005, 09:10 PM
So I am gonna start building my own planes from plans and expiraments. I need either a 3 or 4 channel radio. Due to my own history buying things, they need to be new, sorry. Because its going to be a lot of slow flight/indoor or expiramental (as in high risk of serious crashing) I need it to be cheap. I know i should splurge, but I cant spend a lot of money with school and stuff, espescially when I cant be sure that this stuff wont get roofed or run over or anything.

Need: 3 or 4 channel transmitter
Receiver
Servos (the more the merrier)
Speed Controllers (see above)
anything else you got.

Transmitters with rechargeable batteries are a plus, but not necessary

MaxAdventure
07-30-2009, 05:08 AM
If you want cheap, and you want new, just order this:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8338&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_4Ch_Tx_&_Rx_(Mode_2)

dbcisco
08-01-2009, 02:48 PM
That has got to be the least expensive 2.4Ghz system in the world! If I had the money I would by their 6ch TX and a dozen receivers. At that price, it is cheaper than FM. Now if that company can do that, why are Spektrum and Futaba 2.4g systems going for 10 times that price ?

idealhobbies
08-01-2009, 02:59 PM
That has got to be the least expensive 2.4Ghz system in the world! If I had the money I would by their 6ch TX and a dozen receivers. At that price, it is cheaper than FM. Now if that company can do that, why are Spektrum and Futaba 2.4g systems going for 10 times that price ?

I have to agree with you (don't faint). Especially on the receivers. I can understand the transmitters with the programming, and the screens.... but the receivers make no sense to me.

pd1
08-01-2009, 04:03 PM
A friend just bought that setup. The switches for servo reversing are right on the front and are very easy to hit and move by accident.
Get the six channel one.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9041&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_&_Rx_(Mode_1)

It's only $3 more.

Paul

dbcisco
08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
A friend just bought that setup. The switches for servo reversing are right on the front and are very easy to hit and move by accident.
Get the six channel one.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9041&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_&_Rx_(Mode_1 (http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9041&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_&_Rx_%28Mode_1))

It's only $3 more.

Paul

Agreed!!!!!!!!!

MaxAdventure
08-02-2009, 02:56 AM

10X the quality?

If I had it to do over, I would still buy my X9303 - but for cheap experimentation, Hobby City is nice - provided you don't mind stimulating their economy.

I've sent my Spektrum receivers in for repair, had a brand new one within the week - only cost me postage one-way. Those cheap ones at HC are pretty much disposable.

firemanbill
08-02-2009, 03:00 AM
WOW! Talk about digging up old posts!

just shy of 4 years old. I doubt this guy is still around.:rolleyes::ws:

gramps2161
08-02-2009, 03:06 AM
He posted not to long in someone elses thread Bill, but LOL just noticed when this was posted 9/27/05, finaly he gets some advice.:cool::)

dbcisco
08-02-2009, 03:15 AM
10X the quality?

If I had it to do over, I would still buy my X9303 - but for cheap experimentation, Hobby City is nice - provided you don't mind stimulating their economy.

I've sent my Spektrum receivers in for repair, had a brand new one within the week - only cost me postage one-way. Those cheap ones at HC are pretty much disposable.

So I can throw away 10 of them, keep the RXes and still come out way ahead.
I won't believe there is any better quality without relevant specs. Anyone claiming better quality should be able to back it up with proof.
I am willing to bet that they are all made in the same electronics factories in Asia (there are only a handful, most Asian companies are contractors, not manufacturers).
Now, does it have more features in the TX? Yes. Is it worth 10x the price? to some. Considering people will pay $100 more for helicopters from Eflite rather than the 95% identical Esky model, people may just be paying alot of money for a Spektrum, JR or Futaba sticker.
If they can sell an RX for $15 then Spektrum could do the same, if they had to. Sadly, people will always throw money at brand names even if they have no "real reason" to do so (IE: proof).

dbcisco
08-02-2009, 03:19 AM
...If I had it to do over, I would still buy my X9303 - but for cheap experimentation, Hobby City is nice - provided you don't mind stimulating their economy....

Where do you think JR radios are made? Not in Champaign, IL. that's for sure.

Twmaster
08-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Where do you think JR radios are made? Not in Champaign, IL. that's for sure.

The difference of course is much of the money spent on a good brand radio stays here in the USA.

As to price difference, as Idealhobby said I too can understand the big delta on transmitters. Receivers make little sense.

As to the transmitters... Until you've had a true top end radio like an X9303 or X12 in your hands the difference, even over mid level radios from good makers, is amazing. (for the record I have owned an X9303 and an Assan 6 ch 2.4GHz radio)

The price paid to a maker like Futaba or JR etc is paid to cover marketing, R&D, better quality components, manuals, warranty (try to get that ASSan 2.4GHz repaired) and real wages to their staff.

I'm not defending or disparaging any firms here. Just pointing out that there's more to just grumping about a selling price.

Don't forget to take your laptop to the flying field if you buy one of those 6 channel things from Asia. You cannot reprogram anything without that laptop and data cable. Not even servo reversing.

Twmaster
08-02-2009, 09:24 AM
And one more note about price. (this is strictly from my perspective)

Some say they'll just buy 10 and throw them away as they fail. Ok, fine. How many planes did you lose as your cheap radio failed?? How much aggravation did you go through trying to sort out some silly issue with your setup? Is it the TX, or is it the RX? Argh!

If I'm fighting with crap gear I'm not flying or having fun.

Ripping through the sky without worrying about your radio gear failing... priceless.

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” -- Aldo Gucci

sam94
08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
This sounds stupid but could anyone tell me how to start my own thread

firemanbill
08-02-2009, 01:51 PM
PM sent Sam.

pd1
08-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I've held the transmitter from the Hobby King radio.
Is it worth what they're asking?
Yes.

Will I consider buying one for a small low cost foamy?
Yes.

Is it as good as my DX 7? Not even close.
My DX 7 IS worth 10 times the price.

Comparing the two is apples and oranges.
Just the feel of the sticks and the resolution are not even close.
What I can do at the field with the computer memory for servo control is worth the extra money.
So No, I won't be exchanging the DX 7 anytime soon.

But the Hobby City radio is a low cost solution where price is more important than features.

Paul

dbcisco
08-02-2009, 03:37 PM
You are missing the points.
1. You have no "proof" about your claims of better quality.
2. I already acknowledged that the TX is very basic.
3. My remarks centered on the RXes (apples and apples)

You say that much of the JR cost stays in the US. Same with China direct products. 90% of the money stays in my US pocket.:D Again though, you make claims without much proof. For example, how much of Horizon Hobby's JR budget is spent on R&D?

This reminds me of the T-rex vs clones threads. Everyone claims Align "quality" but never backs it up with proof. "Feel" means nothing, one man's " nice and solid " is another's "too stiff ". Give me some actual data and I'll be convinced. :sad: