PDA

View Full Version : nose heavy or tail heavy?

Rhondas
09-28-2005, 12:37 AM
I MOUNTED A GAS ENGINE in a arf super stick , the plane fly's but ,when in flight it seems to have a tail sag,however I have to give it slight UP at times in fligh when its in a slower flying mode.I dont know what to do take some lead out of the tail or add some,What do you suggest?
noted the plane lands in on set up nice but wants to take off again with a smig of throttle , Its hard to keep it down,yet if I stop the motor it will drop? I tried taking some weight from the tail, I didnt test fly it yet.:confused:

Nitro Blast
09-28-2005, 03:53 AM
Sounds less of a balance issue as an AOA (Angle of attack) issue.
Is the wing sitting in its saddle correctly? Is the vertical sabilizer straight and true?

Changes in angles in the airframe cause flight changes at speed changes. If your wing is at the wrong angle, it may fly better at slow speeds that it does at a good clip.

Warped wings also have that affect on flight with speed changes.

Rhondas
09-28-2005, 04:38 AM
Sounds less of a balance issue as an AOA (Angle of attack) issue.
Is the wing sitting in its saddle correctly? Is the vertical sabilizer straight and true?

Changes in angles in the airframe cause flight changes at speed changes. If your wing is at the wrong angle, it may fly better at slow speeds that it does at a good clip.

Warped wings also have that affect on flight with speed changes.
yes the wing is secured with 4 bolts and its perfect in the saddle the tail is pretty much straight mounted to the fuse.:confused: , one person claims he hd a super stick and it flew that way with slight tail hang and he saw others just like it, could it be an inheritant chacteristic of the design

Electroman7
09-28-2005, 06:08 PM
The plane should fly with the fuselage level, not tail down. You may have excessive down thrust in the motor. Check to see that the motor thrust line is 0 degrees or no more than about 1 degree negative to the thrust line of the fuselage.

cropduster
09-29-2005, 01:22 AM
This is a little late in coming, but I had a Super Stick and it flew " hands off " with no added ballast in nose or tail. I used a Super Tigre .45 for power and it landed without any tendency to keep flying. If your plane seems "squirely", then I would venture to say you have a tail heavy condition. You didn't say how the CG was. I would suggest slightly nose down attitude with an empty fuel tank. Hope this helps.

Rhondas
09-29-2005, 01:44 AM
This is a little late in coming, but I had a Super Stick and it flew " hands off " with no added ballast in nose or tail. I used a Super Tigre .45 for power and it landed without any tendency to keep flying. If your plane seems "squirely", then I would venture to say you have a tail heavy condition. You didn't say how the CG was. I would suggest slightly nose down attitude with an empty fuel tank. Hope this helps.

[[[[[I think your right because the plans say 1/8th inch reward of the main spar,well most planes I have built use the spar and thats what Im trying, I had to take tail weight out of it to get it level, now the test flight comes next.;)]]]

cropduster
09-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Good luck on your test flight. I'm sure it will be a good one. A rule of thumb on CG location is to locate aproximately 30 percent of the wing cord back from the leading edge and you should be near the mark.

GeraldRosebery
10-02-2005, 05:26 PM
I MOUNTED A GAS ENGINE in a arf super stick , the plane fly's but ,when in flight it seems to have a tail sag,however I have to give it slight UP at times in fligh when its in a slower flying mode.I dont know what to do take some lead out of the tail or add some,What do you suggest?
noted the plane lands in on set up nice but wants to take off again with a smig of throttle , Its hard to keep it down,yet if I stop the motor it will drop? I tried taking some weight from the tail, I didnt test fly it yet.:confused:

Simple dynamic balance check. Do a pass into the wind and pull up into 45 degree upline and then flip inverted continuing the climb. Neutralize the elevator. If the model drops its nose, it's nose heavy, if it drops its tail it's tail heavy. Change the CG until the 45 degree angle of climb inverted does not change with the elevator neutral.

Rhondas
10-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Simple dynamic balance check. Do a pass into the win and pull up into 45 degree upline and then flip inverted continuing the climb. Neutralize the elevator. If the model drops its nose, it's nose heavy, if it drops its tail it's tail heavy. Change the CG until the 45 degree angle of climb inverted does not change with the elevator neutral.

Thanks, I got it right, it was tail heavy,now my landings dont hop up again, and it tracks smoother and inverted perfect, thanks again:D