PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 Spitfire mk1a

19thsqn
01-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi you all Wattflyers!

I have built 2 months 1/4 scale spitfire plugs. fuse and tailplane plugs is almost woodready. so this will be full composite plane (wings too). i will hammer litho plate all over the plugs with all rivets and screws.
weight goal in this plane is 12-13kg so i will try some 'smart'laminating and put cloth only to places where its needed. 2-3kg lighter plane than gas version of 1/4 scale spitfire. so its extrem build. thin laminating and partially sandwiched.
motor will be AXI 5360 with Jeti 90+ or spin 99. propeller is 3-blade one from soloprops. landing gear option is still open. i'll maybe build those myself because there is not shorter mk1a type landingears on market.
same reason i have done with lathe also the spinner plug. backplate under process. so it will be done from carbon.
any comments is wellcome!!

CarreraGTSCS
01-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Wow. That's an ambitious plan but you're well on your way. Post more photos when you can.

19thsqn
01-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Hi!
yes there have been some progress here.
fuse plug is ready for litho covering. tailplane is allready litho covered and ready for molding.
wing panels uppersides is already sheeted with balsa. so soon bottom side and glassing. and then those are also ready for litho plate.
i will soon take pics from those also.
here some pics from progress...

cheers

CarreraGTSCS
01-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Very impressive lithoplate work. This will be a big plane at 12 to 13 kg (26.4 to 26.8 lbs). Do I understand that this is the plug that you are creating for molds?

19thsqn
01-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Yes, i will do molds from fuse, wings and tailplane.
laminates for plane will be 30% thinner than normally in gassers. lower vibrations allow lighter laminates.
i know its hard goal. going to use same kind of construction than some of composite hollow wing gliders. lots of carbon hybrid fabrics. stiff and strong.

19thsqn
01-23-2007, 07:10 AM
i have also worked with smaller gasser spitty.
and i just like the lithoplate material so much.
and i have noticed its a lot easier to do more accurate rivets and details in 1/4 scale. so i wait a lot from this project...

19thsqn
01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
wing panels are now sheeted. im happy how i got straight trailing edge to wing. it was a time when this was real issue to me.
when sheeting bottom surface, i placed 10mm x 10mm hard balsa to both sides and used many clamps to keep sheetings and balsa spars on place.
when i have glassed wing panels, i will cut ailerons away from wings. then i have ailerons with proper wash-out.
and of course there was jigs on both ends of panels to get that wash-out.
pics...

19thsqn
01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I received axi 5360 motor today!!
what can i say, its truly a giant.
my hand is not so thiny, the motor really is that big.
look the huge support bearing.
i will soon receive jeti spin99 controller.
there is few very good advantages in it.
like u can make throttle control a lot slowlier. from 0-to full speed 5-7 seconds. very cool thing when having giant 30inch solo prop.
and adjusting and reading inflight measurements(amps, volts, rpms)
from jeti box..

like a christmas....

fokke
01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
WOW!!!congratuiations :)
This is very big motor,how much VAT he have ?

CarreraGTSCS
01-29-2007, 10:16 PM
19thsqn-- Coming along nicely. You are certainly a master modeler.

19thsqn
01-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks from very kind words bros!
peak power will be with 10lipo around 3kw. watt/weight ratio will be about 90w/lbs or 200w/kg. should be enough for good performance.
specially coz it turns very effective huge prop.
here is pics from 1 huge plane with same motor.
aeronca champ
35lbs 168inch , 16kg 427cm span

so i believe its good choice for my very slim and a lot smaller spitty..:rolleyes:
(8lbs/4kg lighter,58inch/147cm narrower, and 1/2 thinner plane)

will run it with 10lipo first, but if i feel needing more rpm i will use 12lipo
, but i think it wont be needed.

cheers

19thsqn
01-30-2007, 12:45 PM
i got today outer wing panels done...
and im soooooo happy. these are my 3rd spitfire wings builded, and finally im happy with those. identical wings with straight and sharp trailing edge. and correct shape leading edge. i just opened a beer...
and i had to test a how it fits with fuse... at least one wing... ;)
some filler is drying in pics...

fokke
01-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Cheers :)nice progress :)

19thsqn
02-15-2007, 06:45 PM
now my surfboard is wood ready.
surfer (me) trying to reach the tip...
next i need to build mold from tail plane, after that installing the tailplane plug to fuse plug, and finally fin. then main plugs r ready for litho plate...
if working real hard this will fly at summer... :rolleyes:

CarreraGTSCS
02-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Wow! I had no sense of the size of it. That's longer than my surfboard!!

tenore
02-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Very cool. I like the Spits. I'm following with interest.

19thsqn
02-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks from kind words!
i have ordered vacuum pump and all the suplyes for vacuuming. should be here at any day. i will build this spitty partially with foam sandwich construction. i will do some test laminates with tail plane... practise is always needed... ;)

19thsqn
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Ok!
i just wanted to put pcs together and look what kind of monster is coming...if some one thinks why fin is not glued on its place, i will make first mold from tailplane, 2nd laminate centerpart of tailplane and glued it on its place, then fin on it and lithoplate. it will fit perfectly then.
and in pics u see mick reeves scale tapes for fabric reinforcing. elevator is not ready yet, some litho and trim controls still missing in pics...
pics r better than my english.....
on floor my relaxing plane... american ace old timer..

19thsqn
03-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Jiihhaa..
just got my Jeti 99spin controller and programming box. now waiting batteries.
that jetibox gives all the information from flight too. and one most important is slowing the throttle from 0 to full, upp to 7 seconds.
very important thing when turning 30inch propeller. easing the torque. all the gear on 4inch balsa, just giving idea from dimensions.

walts
03-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Hi,
I joined this forum some time ago but had not yet posted on here as i am still just tinkering with electric flight. But boy! this model has caught my attention big time! It is a truly stunning model and i will be watching with great interest as you progress. Well done with it so far.
All the best,
Walts

19thsqn
03-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi Walts! wellcome to forum! im so jealous, you guys on the otherside channel have soooo many beautiful spittyes there. maybe need to visit there in duxford or bigginhill in airshows. i was ill almost two weeks, and now i start working again with spittye. meanwhile i almost finished my relaxing oldtimer... ;)

cheers

walts
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi 19thsqn,
I know what you mean about the spits, we kind of just take it for granted. I was at Duxford a few years back for a special celebration show, I think it may have been a battle of britain celebration, and there was 22 spitfires doing seperate slots. Then the commentator Made an announcement over the P.A. He said "This has never been allowed before but if you look behind yourselfs you will see ALL! 22 Spits approaching in formation for a low fly by over the crowd...............Absolutely amazing sight & sound, Glad i went to that show:)
Take care,
Walts

19thsqn
03-12-2007, 07:05 PM
well back on spitty..
i started hammering panels to wingplug. i annealed first the litho plate, then hammered the rivets with sharpened tube. then glued with contact glue.
the leading edge of spitty wing is one of hardest to shape. coz of the double curvature and v shape of wing.
here pics...

19thsqn
03-21-2007, 05:06 AM
here how i work with litho.
-anneling litho with low cost torch. colorside of lithoplate works as a indicator, when its lightly brown its ready.
-then cutting panel to shape
-drawning the rivetlines with pen
-shaping the blister cores from balsa. then forcing tha alloy over the core with hard balsa block. glue the core to panel.
-hammering the rivets and small screws to panel
-contact glue to panel and plug. waiting 15minutes, then rubbing the panel to plug with balsa block.
-after all scotch brightening patch is good for smoothening the surface and killing the sharp edges lightly. better releasing for mold.
in pic i read factory blueprints and drawning the rivetlines...
cheers

19thsqn
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
..and wheelwell bumps looks like this in the end.

JoseLG
03-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi 19Sq.
Nice project and a lot of work;) . Is it a one model project?

I would like to have some spare time for a D190 that has been awaiting in the building board for a long time.

Cheers.
JLG

walts
03-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Truely amazing work :cool: I recently made the tail fairing front cover for my Hurricane from litho and it took a few attempts to get this little bit half decent! I don't think i would have the paitence to do what you have done, fantastic, keep at it mate.

Walts

19thsqn
03-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi!
realism is the goal!! so i think real alloy is the key.
in my smaller spitty it took 8 months to hammer those lithoplates. since then i have learned a lot, believing 3-4 months is truly realistic. trying to build all molds at summer.
so i know what kind of zen-buddhism is needed.. ;)

19thsqn
03-26-2007, 05:51 AM
Hi again.
i will do molds from all parts. and if it flyes well, maybe sell few planes to cover costs, like a limited serie. this is still a hobby for me...

Hi 19Sq.
Nice project and a lot of work;) . Is it a one model project?

I would like to have some spare time for a D190 that has been awaiting in the building board for a long time.

Cheers.
JLG

19thsqn
03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I will mold ailerons with wings. then i have proper wash out in ailerons too. left on is done and right one half away (upper skins)
mick reeves scale tape used on ribs... and reading blueprints all the time...

19thsqn
03-29-2007, 12:04 PM
..i was helping my friend with composites and on side laminated spinner mold.
it was extrem tight on spinner plug. but finally i got it off. mold is 8mm thick. so i think it lasts forever...
when im bored about hammering.. i will make carbon spinner. after that i working with backplate plug...

19thsqn
04-10-2007, 01:39 AM
..More panels.. on wing tips is less rivets. so panels are now kinda easy to do at this point.
2-3 more days and upper surface is ready...

walts
04-10-2007, 09:20 PM
This is looking really good, one of the best scale models I've seen for detail. Keep at it, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, Top stuff!!

Walts

19thsqn
04-13-2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks Walts! i cant wait either!! ;)
Time for a beer!!
upper surface is hammered. later i will smoothen the surface littlebit with scotch brightening pad. makes panels edges softer (you cant see with eye it, but can feel it by hand) makes mold release much easier.
i started cutting bottom panels....

drksyd
04-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Outstanding job! I doubt I could afford one but I'm sure you'd be able to sell a good amout of your Spits. Keep up the great work.

19thsqn
04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks!
i have ordered centering pins, inserts, bolts and special gelcoat resin for molds. so if the plane flyes nicely, those molds will last many pull outs as possible. and easy to use vacuum bags because its easy to take pins away from mold. hoping to start making tailplane molds in any day.. just because its nice change for hammering... ;)

will show that later....

19thsqn
04-16-2007, 05:36 PM
hello!
i started hammering bottom side of wing panels.
i think one of most diffucult part in spitfire wing is leading edge panels. and how to get those fit together.. this time im happy with result... it wasnt easy...
sorry about dirt... smoothening and cleaning undone... scotch brightening needed... ;)

mmmdowning
04-17-2007, 11:44 AM
This is an awesome piece of work. WOW!

19thsqn
04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for kind words!! those keeps me going! ;)
it was a time for break... about hammering.
i laminated spinner from carbonhybrid cloth. its very stiff. stiffer than any alloy spinner.
now backplate under process...

19thsqn
04-18-2007, 01:43 PM
just put spinner on scale... and weight is 106grams. slotted the spinner while i was hammering panels.....
soloblades in picture are too small, i need to order 30inch blades soon..

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
04-23-2007, 06:16 PM
working now on bottom side of wing... very easy panels only.. all the difficult panels is done. and making some drawnings before cutting panels. spinner backplate plug is under waxing...
when backplate is laminated i will smoothen it in lathe and cut huge lightening holes in it. and balancing too ofcourse.

19thsqn
04-25-2007, 02:40 PM
center part of wing hammered on bottom side. now gulwing is clearly seen here. id light.
just tell me if there is too many hammering pictures... ;)

there is much less details on early mk1 spitfire wing, because it was designed as defender. later mark planes was attackers with external tank, bombs, rockets etc.

19thsqn
05-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Jiihhaaa!
i got landing gear from Sierra Giant!! http://www.sierragiant.com/index.htm (http://www.sierragiant.com/index.htm)
these truly are pcs of art!!! perfect scale and feels very strong! i believe those will last life time. and one thing i like too, these are very light!!
now just need to try my best with spitfire and make justice for these retracts!
thank you Darrel!!

Jukka

19thsqn
05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
i hammered carburator intake and checked strut lenghts on wing for doors... just perfect!! now i keep hammering...

V6Goose
05-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Awesome stuff!

You have given me some positive reinforcement regarding large scale warbirds and electric flight.

Watching with great interest...

Keep going!

Goose

19thsqn
05-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks Goose!
in the last pic carburator intake scoops center panel was few mm too narrow... its now replaced with new one...
it was builder error.. it happens!

p.s. i believe future is electric... with real merlin sound... ;)

V6Goose
05-04-2007, 04:38 AM
As is my Mustang :)

19thsqn
05-08-2007, 07:04 PM
As is my Mustang :)

Nice!!!

fixed carb intake and oil cooler.... radiator under process....

Bill G
05-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Nice looking parts 19th!
Like the wing panel detail.

Bill

19thsqn
05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Ok!
radiator is done. i was working with it 4 days.. http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s8.gif
and 1st inner flap place on plug opened and panel hammered. it shaped around 8mm carbon tube, which will be laminated inside wing later. then i will have stiff and straight flap after dremeling. pics talking more...

walts
05-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi 19thsqn
I'm still here watching with great interest, I just don't know what else to say other than absolutely awsome..................Really just awsome mate!

Walts

Bill G
05-16-2007, 07:32 AM
I just did some painting last weekend (house, not planes:D) for an 84 year old club member who is working on an 80" Spitfire. He has the fuse and wing fully built up. Looking at the fuse, being all built up sheeted construction, was just incredible. No way of telling that it wasn't glass. He plans to add all the rivets, like this build here.

Bill

19thsqn
05-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Walts!
Hi Bill! rivets indeed make the difference. if you have pictures, please send it here! ;) i have made flap, aileron plugs ready today. now there is only flat plates left on wing.. i will take pictures tomorrow. not many days and wing plug is 100% done.
.... then start fuselage.

19thsqn
05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
ok flaps and ailerons done. next gear doors.
rest of wing panels are flat and easy.. and fast build.
soon wing plug is done..

19thsqn
05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
double message :blah:

19thsqn
06-04-2007, 02:54 AM
The wing is almost done!!! 2 small panels and 6 small details missing only... i was flying a lot at this weekend. very hot here at this moment. so i didnt have much energy for hammering. but i'll finnish the wing plug today!!! i put more pics then... sorry about the mess in my shop...

Grasshopper
06-04-2007, 03:01 AM
That is unreal! I'm amazed at the detail and the craftsmanship. I can't wait to see the finished plane.

xuzme720
06-04-2007, 03:28 AM
the absolutely amazing thing is this isn't the actual plane but the plug for the mold to be made from! that kind of craftmanship for the mold! amazing!

19thsqn
06-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks Bros!!
wing plug is ready!!! next fuse...

19thsqn
06-08-2007, 07:39 AM
i have made some sirious shopping again. in plane will be Benedini 50v/50w soundsystem with 130mm/5inch visaton speaker.
fuse will be partially sealed as a sound box. giving best possible sound. sound system weight with speaker is 568g/1,25lbs.
power will be taken from driving battery so there is no extra battery. sound system will give out 102db pressure.
thanks for information Tor Arne!!
and Carl Peter from Soloprops will build havilland type blades for spitty. i cant wait those!!! http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s2.gif
so all the hard wear is ordered for this project.
people have been extrem helpful on this project!! and there is no way to thank enough!

with all the support this project will together sooner and with out headaches!!

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi!
i have been working for while with fuse. tailplane placed temporary on fuse. its not glued. checking correct order for panels all the time. there is so many small details in tail..
lots of smoothening and cleaning need to be done... but later that..

mmmdowning
06-13-2007, 03:55 PM
If I didn't know better, I would think it was a real plane. Excellant job, wish I had that kind of time to spend on a plane. Keep it going, great job.

walts
06-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I wish i had that kind of skill to apply to the time i do spend on planes!::o
This is such an exciting project, still watching with great interest.
With respect,
Walts

19thsqn
06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks Bros!
rivet detail from fuse. many people is miss leaded to think spitfire have all rivets rised behind cockpit. thats false.
too bad any plans doesnt show that which are rised or flush. so all rivets is checked from photos. there is no random rivets... i'll be blind after all the research...

19thsqn
06-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Soundsystem arrived! now im waiting 5inch visaton speaker, so i can take 'smoke' out of merlin!! http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s2.gif
as u see its not big! and speaker will be in cowl were normally is firewall. so it doesnt add much weight! just working like living ballast. fuel tank area will work like soundbox for speaker.
i'll be back soon!

19thsqn
06-17-2007, 04:30 PM
hehe... smoke taken out of merlin!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SKJNvttwr8
cheers
Jukka

19thsqn
06-17-2007, 08:21 PM
and i have worked with partingboards. first half is waxed few times. inserts and aligning pins from r & g.
not worlds most beautiful partingboard with colorful clays and packing tape sealings.. but it works. ;)

CarreraGTSCS
06-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Really incredible work. What other models have you made? You'll be kitting this right?

Mike

19thsqn
06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Mike! i have practised with smaller spitty. but this will be my 1st kit creation. so this is my 2nd mold project. but this is my 4th spitty.. ;)
maybe later me-109 1/4 i have factory plans for it. some opponents needed..

19thsqn
06-22-2007, 12:44 PM
first half (birdbath) laminated. 3 days ago. tomorrow i will laminate 2nd part. 'legs' sidewalls are about 3mm thickness and bottom (mold) is about 5mm.
and insert detail..

Suncoaster
06-22-2007, 04:09 PM
I have just stumbled upon this build thread. All I can say is absolutely awesome, and these are only the plugs for the moulds. I will be interested to see photos and video of this bird in flight.:ws::ws:

19thsqn
06-22-2007, 06:29 PM
I have just stumbled upon this build thread. All I can say is absolutely awesome, and these are only the plugs for the moulds. I will be interested to see photos and video of this bird in flight.:ws::ws:

so if im fast enough.. at september or october will be youtube video link here.

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
06-25-2007, 04:18 PM
upper side of wing molds done! now you see how it stands straight on its sidewalls. bottomside will be without high side walls, making tightening molds littlebit easier and lighter to handle. these molds are heavy. bottom will be 5pcs mold for easier opening.

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
07-06-2007, 01:29 PM
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s8.gif phhyuuhh!
all the main molds for wing laminated!! only 1 small scoop mold need to be done. then waiting few days and opening ! so soon pics....
laminating molds are nerve braking loooonngg days... beer helps! http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s49.gif

19thsqn
07-06-2007, 01:38 PM
soon i might laminate first wing.. trying to do similar construction like in composite-arf planes have.
very light sandwich.. ;)

19thsqn
07-09-2007, 12:58 PM
now pictures!! molds for wing are done. im very happy with result.
specially how solartex looks like in ailerons. now i can continue hammering fuse plug...

cheers

Jukka

fokke
07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Ohoooo very ,very nice :)

19thsqn
07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
i just reached canopy area in fuse plug hammering...
pics..
ill be in ireland for 5 days, after that sirious hammering.
cheers
Jukka

fokke
07-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Hy Jukka
On how many parts will be splitted the mold of fuse?

19thsqn
07-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Rumen!
minimum is 4 pcs! but i believe in the end it will 7 or 8. depends what i decide... not ready with my mind yet! but i will tell that when i know.
how its going with bigger me-109? or is there too hot?
its been too hot to work here few days. but molds will be hard for sure! heat is good for those.

cheers

Jukka

fokke
07-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm not working on my big project at the moment. You know that I start smaller BF109 in 1:10 scale..
After one week I will finish the little Messer and I'll continue on the big one
Yes,here is very hot,but I think to goo on the black sea :)for epoxi that weather is very suitable,my epoxi dry very good and quickly.
I don"t use oven for my molds:)

19thsqn
07-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Holidays are behind... back to hammering. not so many panels anymore... http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s1.gif

19thsqn
08-07-2007, 10:37 AM
canopy frame, 3 panels to bottom, cowl... then im done!

19thsqn
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
some progress... i think in one week start making parting boards.
still missing canopy hood+ front canopy frame, some fairing panels and 4 cowl panels and blisters and fasteners from it.
sorry about blurry pictures! i should take the plug out when its done. its almost impossible to take pictures inside. bad light and always too close her. she really is huge...next time better ones! http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s49.gif

cheers

jukka

Grasshopper
08-13-2007, 03:30 PM
That thing is BEAUTIFUL Jukka! Can't wait to see a finished one off the mold. You do fantastic work.

19thsqn
08-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks Tom!
2blisters and 2small scoops to cowl and its done. fasteners ready.

19thsqn
08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
lots of pictures... plug is done... ;-)

wilmracer
08-24-2007, 04:39 PM
beautiful :silly:

CarreraGTSCS
08-24-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't recall ever seeing such an accurately detailed and constructed model. This is simply amazing.

Suncoaster
08-25-2007, 04:15 PM
That will be an awesome model if the detail in the plugs is anything to go by. Truly museum quality workmanship.::o:D:cool:

Dave

19thsqn
08-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks bros!
Today i will push the project forward and start building partingboards.
and applying release agents. i also made 2 days ago spinner backplate mold. sorry no pics yet... soon.

19thsqn
08-31-2007, 06:10 PM
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s8.gif 1st bigger fuse mold part laminated... took 7 hours to laminate that! not single coffee brake! i still feel gasmask on my face. for fuse will be 7pcs of mold. no sharp angles for easier opening. will take some extra days to make the mold, but i believe its worth it. hardest part will be wait that opening day... http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s49.gif
cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
FUSE MOLD LAMINATED!!!!! IM SOOO TIRED... last 2 weeks been waxing and laminated almost every day... yes i still have my full day job. long days. tomorrow i will clean the edges and after that few days waiting. let the mold cure in peace. its not easy to wait the results..... http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/image/s2.gif
no im not going to rest... i will cut the wing ribs and spars... and apply frekote to wing molds...
at this point 80kg epoxy is used and 20liters chopped fibers, hundreds meters of glass, 2boxes of nitrile gloves, 3 cans of wax, 2 liters of frekote, list goes on........
just let you know what it takes to build mold for 1/4 scale bird.....
soon pics!!

cheers

Jukka

mmmdowning
09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Jukka,
Can you direct me to a sight that teaches the steps to do something like this. I would like to attempt this with another plane for UAV use to make multiple parts.

Thank you
Marty

19thsqn
09-11-2007, 06:57 PM
http://www.su27.de/

Hi Marty!
above perfect link to create full composite plane! i used Harolds way as a guide line for my project. i used some different release agents. if u have any questions and if i can help, i try.
its hard enough with help too. ;)

cheers

Jukka

mmmdowning
09-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Jukka
Wow!!!!! What a link, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Marty

Bundy
09-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Jukka

Congratulations on some truly inspiring work!!

I'm about to start my 3rd all electric 101" B-25 Mitchell and would love to try your building method. My previous ones have been around 35 -36lb AUW. Do you have any idea or guesses as to what weight savings might be possible using your construction over traditional balsa/ply construction?

Thanks
Richard

19thsqn
09-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Hi Richard!
1st let you know fuse mold is opened and its good! ;)
my home internet connection wasnt working yesterday, when its working pics! #1 fuse will be laminated at monday!!
Richard, if you want build lighter than traditional build, its really need to be sandwiched. if building full glass plane with out sandwich materials, it will be littlebit heavier but can take much more hits coz it will flex littlebit more and bounce. example comp-arf 2,6meter planes using 80g/m2 glass on both side of 2mm herex. and those planes really are light!

Cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
09-14-2007, 02:33 AM
and here good link for manuals and how to do's!
helps a lot designing model planes too. happy readings!

http://www.r-g.de/en/downloads.html

cheers

19thsqn
09-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Ok! Very dirty unwashed mold pictures... just opened!

19thsqn
09-19-2007, 07:02 PM
#1 fuse laminated!!

cheers

Jukka

fokke
09-19-2007, 08:03 PM
ОООООООООООООООО Jukka this is supeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr:D:D:D:D:D
Do you use some dye in epoxi ?

EXELENT.......!!!!!!

19thsqn
09-20-2007, 03:11 AM
Thanks Rumen!
i mixed gelcoat from sp115 epoxy,west systems colloidal silica and alloy grey pigment. 50g/m2 cloth+ coremat xi 1mm+ 50g/m2 cloth. sandwich.
not lightest version but should be strong. ;)

cheers

Jukka

fokke
09-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi Jukka ,I think for my Messer to make whit 2 layer 160 gr. glass only,what you think ?

wilmracer
09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow. I love this... absolutely inspiring

19thsqn
09-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi Fokke!
i think 2x160g behind balance point is perfect and frontside of BP it should be good with 3x160g. then it will be light. small stripe styrofoam or airex between clothsin back fuse adds a lot stiffness. or just make 2-3 light formers.
hope this helps.

Cheers

Jukka

fokke
09-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Thank you Jukka
Yes this informacion will help me ,tomorrow I'll start to laminat my fuse :)

19thsqn
09-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi!
just needed to do something small and relaxing....
so i start making exhaustplugs. carved from balsa... filler. need to sand more before primer, then siliconemolds for those.

cheers

Jukka

fokke
09-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi Jukka
It is very nice :)

jymster
09-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Jukka,

I have been reading through your posts with awe! I to am wanting to cover a model with lithoplate, but don't really have any idea where to start. Are you able to please explain the lithoplate forming and application processes in a little more detail, perhaps with some photos too? What tools do you use? Do you actually "hammer" the metal, or do you rub it and stretch it into shape with a wooden tool? Any tips and/or info would be much appreciated.

Regards,

James.

19thsqn
09-25-2007, 02:17 AM
http://www.su27.de/

Hi James!
in early page is some pictures from tools too.
at first i cut the panel to shape. then i heated the lithoplate from clear side (with butane/propane torch) so the colorside of used lithoplate turns lightly brown. colour works as a indicator. heating takes only few seconds per area. then let it cool down, it stays soft after that. then hammer the rivet lines with correct size sharpened tube. rub the ready made panel with balsa wood block on plug. then apply contact glue for both sides, wait for 10-20mins. then put the panel on plug to correct place, stays permanently right away. if it goes wrong use torch and heat the panel and pull it off. rised rivets was hammered first from backside of panel with dremel small ballend tool then flip the panel and hammer down with sharpened tube those rised rivets.
hope this helps!

cheers

Jukka

jymster
09-25-2007, 02:36 AM
Jukka,

Yes, I did see that, thanks. However, how do you do the complex compound curves, such as the leading edge and cowl? Do you have to keep re-annealing the panel because of it work hardening? Do you rub it to shape with the balsa block onto the plug before you apply the glue? If so, how do you hold it in place while shaping it?

Thanks,

James.

19thsqn
09-25-2007, 02:55 AM
in long panels example leading edge i start rubbing from centre of panel. and keeping the panel on place with painters tape. and adding more tape all the time with progress. the glue comes after the rivets are done and panel shaped to curves. in cowl area i hammered those panels almost to shape (on solid balsa block with round hammer) and then rubbed it on plug. then rivets, and rubbed again. then at last glue.

;)

jymster
09-25-2007, 04:58 AM
Great, thanks for your help. I am looking forward to trying it out myself.

James.

19thsqn
09-27-2007, 12:24 PM
started cutting spar and rib templates. servo places and lightening holes need to be done....
but you get the idea of simple construction. http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/image/s49.gif lots of sanding and testfit still..

cheers

Jukka

Bill G
09-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Nice project. One of my club members, a WWII vet who served in Britain, is building a large Spitfire. I think Ziroli. Your project just reminded me that I need to stop over there and see the progress. When I last saw it, he had the fuse fully sheeted and was sanding coats of primer.

These large Spit fuses are just beautiful to look at. The pics don't do them justice. You really gotta see them in person to get the real effect.

19thsqn
09-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi Bill G!
spitfires shape is just so hot... its nice to seat for a while and take beer and watch those curves... ;) next week she will get wings!!!!

cheers

jukka

Matt Halton
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
That is the most beautiful and realistic Spitfire I have ever seen! Now I'm subscribed (only just found this thread) Your work is breathtaking and truly inspiring.
Can't wait for more!

19thsqn
10-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks Matt, i try my best.

before starting laminating wings, i will make lot of small innerparts. goal will be fast installions and easier wing laminatingday... those long days are soooo hard.
here pic from 2mm hard alloy horn for flaps.... just made those. no cnc-machined, cutted by hand.

cheers

Jukka

kyle1745
10-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Just found this thread and all I can say is WOW. That is some amazing work. Please post more pictures. Truly amazing work.

19thsqn
10-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Hi Kyle!
i closed yesterday wing mold. so 1# wing is laminated! at weekend will be opening day, and more pics then! i just need patience to let the wing set in peace! im like 6years old kid waiting for christmas at this moment. if the wing is good, only tail control surfaces, exhausts and canopy frame, spinner backplate... and all the main parts is done.
ill be back at saturday!

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
10-11-2007, 02:19 AM
hmm... its kinda early weekend, isnt it?
#1 wing is done!!!!! and surfaces are much better than ever hoped!!
soon lots of dremeling fpr all the openings.

pics! later better ones in daylight and with fuse!!

cheers

Jukka

fokke
10-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Beautifully :)
Jkka ,thal me how you make the wings,how manu layers of glas have there ,and do you use coremat?

19thsqn
10-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi Rumen!
50g/m2 glass+coremat xi+50g/m2 glass. 1inch wide UD-carbon spars. lots of carbon fabric and hybrid fabrics on high stress areas. coremat xi is made from fibers so it takes lots of loads. wing and fuse is 100% sandwiched.

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
10-11-2007, 08:04 AM
http://www.lantor.nl/pdf/61105_datacard-XI.pdf?bcsi_scan_DDB36C624E014AC8=0&bcsi_scan_filename=61105_datacard-XI.pdf

here some info from it. vacuum is not needed. rubbing by rubber gloves on surfaces.

cheers

Jukka

fokke
10-11-2007, 08:20 AM
"""""""""""
http://www.lantor.nl/pdf/61105_datac...atacard-XI.pdf (http://www.lantor.nl/pdf/61105_datacard-XI.pdf?bcsi_scan_DDB36C624E014AC8=0&bcsi_scan_filename=61105_datacard-XI.pdf)

here some info from it. vacuum is not needed. rubbing by rubber gloves on surfaces.

cheers

Jukka
"""""""""""""

WOW nice mix of composite :)
Vakuum is not needed????????? interesting tehnik

19thsqn
10-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Rumen!
the method i used was:
gelcoat by brush. let it gelled. it doesnt stick to your finger but you can push your finger print on it, then 50g glass. let it gelled again so its lightly sticky. rub the dry coremat xi on it! then saturated it with epoxy by rubber gloves. rubbing for while to shape. with paper take away excessive resin. apply inner glass 50g. then carbon spars and reinforcings. when gelled well cutting edges.

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
10-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Lady is streching her legs very first time!!!!

http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/image/s4.gif

Grasshopper
10-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Words can't say enough about how beautiful that looks Jukka. Your skill and patience are amazing! I can't wait to see it painted and flying.

19thsqn
10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks Tom!
I just cutted free right wing aileron. skin hinge works perfectly. free movement. no slob. and hidden linkades.....
im happy with it....

19thsqn
10-14-2007, 11:57 AM
i just applyed thin layer alloy color on fuse. reason, now i can see clearly what areas still need some filler and water sanding. and final dremelings for fuse.
its really so much easier see the faults now.

cheers

Jukka

fokke
10-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Fantastik Jukka ,nice job
Now is very easy with the mould
cheers
Rumen

19thsqn
10-16-2007, 02:48 AM
i started yesterday working with tailcontrols.
almost finished elevator plug, only trim covers missing.
today rudder plug...
;)

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
10-17-2007, 01:55 AM
6 hours working with rudder....
only navigation light cover still missing... tomorrow release agents and parting board for elevator and rudder.

cheers and good night

Jukka

19thsqn
10-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Good morning.
coz weight of the plane will be around 20kg 40-44lbs, i will update the motor...
it will be hacker A200 + master spin 300 opto. 15000w =20hp.
my soloprop adapter fits perfetly on it. (dehavilland blades arrived to finland today,pics later)
and it turns easily 3 blade scale propeller...

cheers

Jukka

wilmracer
10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Is my math correct???? 340+ watts per pound??? ::o::o
I've never worked in this large of a scale so I don't know if the whole watts per pound stuff is still aplicable at this scale, but it seems to me that this will have PLENTY of power.

You trying to outrun a full scale spit with this thing??? :p

19thsqn
10-17-2007, 02:40 PM
;) just want use motor which is capable to turn scale size propeller.

19thsqn
10-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi!
i got my scale blades from Carl! He did absolutely beatiful job!!! i love these blades!!!! THANK YOU, CARL!!! soloprops rule!
and i was testing my tires. rims are from glennis aircract. i putted airfilled tires on it. littlebit soft but ok.
too bad spinner backplateplug wasnt at home... but for sure all is coming together slowly...

cheers

Jukka

p.s. sorry about the dust... im cleaning now... http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/image/s14.gif

fokke
10-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes ,I think that 250 -300 Wat for 1 kilo will be great .The real airplan Messerschmitt E 4 fly with 250 Wat of 1 kilo

19thsqn
10-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Yep, its 3x than needed for scale like flying. lots of reserve.
but i have programming box for controller, its very easy to limits for it. maybe around 8000 to 10000 watts.

;)

19thsqn
10-18-2007, 06:59 PM
i started working with last molds!!!! partingboard made and release agents applied!!
tomorrow laminating those! when both sides is laminated i will separate those 3 molds with band saw.

so... i''ll be back!

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
10-23-2007, 05:38 PM
some rudder mold surface detail in bright light... molds are good...

http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/image/s4.gif

19thsqn
10-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi!
started opening molds today. and vacuum formed canopy (http://www.rcuniverse.com/buynow/keywordclick.cfm?bid_id=5011) too. i need to clean parts and cut openigs, but not until tomorrow.
tomorror more pics from canopyframe and spinner backplate too.

Jukka

19thsqn
10-29-2007, 08:15 PM
hi!
i was working for while today with spitty. cutting hinge places for tail controls and opened canopyframe.
canopy on place by few pcs painters tape. next thing with my spitty is make scale detail molds. and fill all imperfections with car putty. there is small bad places in some corners.
too bad i still dont have skills to make 100% perfect parts. there is always room for filler... http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/image/s7.gif
some pics from my slow progress.
sorry about that, i had some problems with my lounge... tomorrow to doctor..

cheers

Jukka

Rugar
10-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Awesome project! You've put in so much detail its unbelievable. Great Job!

19thsqn
10-30-2007, 10:32 AM
here pic from heavy duty carbon backplate. 7mm thickness.
i will cut lightening holes for electric one. and will work like a spinner weight for gasser.. 210g backplate.

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
11-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Flaps epoxied to wing. when epoxi is dry, final edge sanding and movement check. and pics from skinhinge in action.

cheers

Jukka

Matt Halton
11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Jukka, that is just sooo cool!!

Can't wait to see more of this beautiful model. How close are you to completion?

19thsqn
11-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Hi Matt!
i will give this wing to my friend, who try to maiden his spitty at this weekend. he have zdz 100 inline engine inside.
i will try to make lighter wing for myself, hoping to get the plane inside of F4C rules. not desided when she will be maidened. makind details will take another year i think. but will be maidened before she is finished.

Cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
11-23-2007, 06:14 PM
ok!
i got some batteries (http://www.rcuniverse.com/buynow/keywordclick.cfm?bid_id=5285) for my spitty. i have now:
4x5s5000mah + 4x6s4500mah batteries. so i can make test with 10,11 or with 12s lipos (http://www.rcuniverse.com/buynow/keywordclick.cfm?bid_id=5388). and for sure have all the ballast for nose i need.
i have laminated bottom of wing. and epoxied spars and ribs in it. it will be lot lighter now. here i come f4c... some installions need to be done still, before laminating upper skin and closing the mold. here is something to finish my outfit... http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/image/s49.gif

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
12-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi!
long time since last time..
i laminated second wing. and just opened the mold. and put everything on scale. including everything with out driving battery. and the weight is 12,8kg. so i believe i have very good changes for f4c. just need to do installions very light and painting too. will see but now i have changes for under 16kg flying weight with battery.
so pics soon... need to think light all the way now...

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
12-04-2007, 10:32 AM
exhaust plugs sanded, white glue simulating welding seams. glue will shrunks some.. when the glue is dry i'll apply high glossy black paint on it. after that i will but plugs in box and make the silicon molds for those. we'll see results later.

mmmdowning
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Man your work is just amazing. You definitely need to be in a builders "Hall Of Fame".

19thsqn
12-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks, :) !
Ok, now plugs are ready for mold making... im happy with plugs.

19thsqn
12-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi!
molds for exhausts done.
i made simple boxes for plugs. glued plugs on bottoms. then simply put 1kg (2,2lbs) silicon on those. hardened over night. then cutted molds open with paperknife..
easy business...

cheers

Jukka

CarreraGTSCS
12-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Jukka-- Really coming along nicely. Looks like this will be the definitive Spitfire model, meaning the best ever made. What makes it even more special is that it won't be a one off thing. Very cool.

I'll be out of touch until after Christmas so a very Merry Christmas to you! I hope that Santa brings you some big lipos and a nice set of retracts!

Mike

The Swede
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi Jukka!
Found this web site and your thread today... just sitting here stunned!
Amasing job!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be crime against mankind if you don't produce and sell your composite Spit...
I WANT ONE!!!:$

Absolutely awesome!

Benny "The Swede"

19thsqn
01-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Bottle in pic is empty now... ;) thanks for kind words bros. and better new year for every one!!!
just laminated new set of tailcontrols for replacing those heavy ones. and its made under vacuum with tear of fabric.
will see the result later...
Cheers
Jukka

19thsqn
01-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Controlmolds finally opened..
unsmoothen controls in pic...

cheers

Jukka

Hedlro
01-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow.....

There is nothing more to be said.

If you do decide to sell a few of these, let me know as I would be definately interested. Despite trying to convince myself I could, I just don't have enought skills to build one of these to this standard. Makes my plan built 1/8 Scale Sopwith Pup look like I have just thrown a load of wood together and glued it.:blah: Unbelievable detail and accuracy.

Fantastic plane, following this thread with great interest.

Keep up the good work:tc:

Rob

19thsqn
02-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks, Rob! will see later about that...
...too much work, but i finally made 1st set of exhausts. 3 more to go... one for me 2 for Tero....
i made exhausts with alloy filled resin. so when steel wooling is done it will look like real metal. need to work little bit with seams too.
im happy anyway with those.

cheers

Jukka

KIMBERWHIP
04-02-2008, 09:49 AM
any updates? this spit is going to be awesome!

Geoffrito
05-14-2008, 04:05 AM
oh, just- WOW. this is incredible! You should either be locked in a mental institution or given a Nobel Prize. Maybe both?
looks brilliant- I love the lines of the spitfire. Maybe it had to do with growing up living under one: my father built a 1/5 scale spit from a kit by Pica years and years ago. He's never flown it, which seems a tragedy. The work is beautiful... if i'm not mistaken, he even cast his own functioning manifolds from alumnium so that the exhaust (glow engine) would 'look right'.

And to think i used to believe he was crazy for putting that level of work into something.
keep up the work, this is astonishing! :D

crxmanpat
07-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Jukka,

Any further updates on this beautiful project?

jymster
08-29-2008, 02:39 AM
G'day Jukka,

Did you get the Spitty finished? Would love to see some more pics, mate.

Regards,

James.

MD_Zebo
09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Walts! wellcome to forum! im so jealous, you guys on the otherside channel have soooo many beautiful spittyes there. maybe need to visit there in duxford or bigginhill in airshows. i was ill almost two weeks, and now i start working again with spittye. meanwhile i almost finished my relaxing oldtimer... ;)

cheers if you come to duxford, look out for the IL2 squardon (virtual) Mighty Demons, we'll ALL buy you a beer if you bring that spit for us to drool on!!

19thsqn
09-19-2008, 03:46 AM
Hi! long time since last time...
lot of things happened.... i sold molds to england where they are building electric one for top gun 2009. and maybe later production, but too early to say. and gasser version was almost maidened few days ago but cancelled coz propellor exploded during engine running on the ground... good it wasnt in air... so building continues after 6 month brake coz of my healt issues... i let my lounges rest for a while, coz i have a nasty asthma.. now im in better shape. but not going to work too much with epoxies... he pics from last few days....

cheers

Jukka

jymster
09-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Looking great, Jukka! I had not realised how big it was until seeing this picture. It is a very good sized model.

19thsqn
09-25-2008, 05:22 PM
elevator, rudder work... some pcs of balsa and trimtabs still missing....
but progress anyway.... waayyyyyyyyy lighter than molded ones...

cheers

jukka.

pvtzemerak
09-25-2008, 08:58 PM
great looking spitfire.
~pvt

19thsqn
10-01-2008, 07:19 AM
6500watt peak power motor is coming on the nose... looks like the flying weight will be under <19kg (<44lbs) ...
so estimated weight power ratio will be= 343watt/kg or 147watt/lbs... i think its enough.
pics and details later from motor when its arrived...

cheers

Jukka

The Swede
10-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi Jukka.
Have to agree with all the others: an absolutely awsome build!!! Want one of these too!!

What power/battery set-up are you going to use with that motor? Got one myself to drive a 4-bladed 24" scale airscrew for my TF GS Mustang. Using a JETI SPIN 200 and 4x6S, 5000mAh LiPo's two paralell and two in series for a total of 10.000 mAh and 44,4V.

Don't know yet what kind of flight time this will give but bench tests have been very positive so far. Sure is that it will be a very powerful machine...

Benny

19thsqn
10-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Hi Jukka.
Have to agree with all the others: an absolutely awsome build!!! Want one of these too!!

What power/battery set-up are you going to use with that motor? Got one myself to drive a 4-bladed 24" scale airscrew for my TF GS Mustang. Using a JETI SPIN 200 and 4x6S, 5000mAh LiPo's two paralell and two in series for a total of 10.000 mAh and 44,4V.

Don't know yet what kind of flight time this will give but bench tests have been very positive so far. Sure is that it will be a very powerful machine...

Benny

Hi Benny! your mustang will be like bullet!! lots of power!!!
electric kilowatts is claimed to be 30 % stronger than gasoline versions.
so depending what motor u will be using, u will have endless vertical power. i will try first with jeti 99 spin same kind of battery sett than u have! jeti spin 99 gives 110amp bursts and designed 90amps continous.
4000watt continous power, 4900watt bursts... if this is not enought i change the controller to spin 200. but it should be enough! for scale like flying.. more amps shortens the flight time... will see how it goes!
let us know hou your mustang works!!

cheers

Jukka

19thsqn
10-02-2008, 10:43 AM
here is the motor running with xoar 32x10..... more pics and info when motor is at home...

http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/image/s49.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YNZfssk3wk&eurl=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903307&page=2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YNZfssk3wk&eurl=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903307&page=2)

CHEECH
10-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Truly Amazing. Its the Major Leagues of WattFlying.

Cheech

19thsqn
10-13-2008, 10:32 AM
7kw motor arrived! 1800g with mount! axi 5360 looks small next from it. speaker testfit in next pic. soon motor and battery tray installion...

cheers

j.

19thsqn
10-13-2008, 01:27 PM
firewall made and filled the fan with epoxy. (taken from old pc fan). and when its dry, going to drill perfect hole for axle and tightening screw.

j.

John.G
02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Ok can across this thread a while ago and forgot about it but just checking and I see its had no new post hows it going or haas it stalled.Got a question as I'm not to sure in the youtube video I was watching of the motor runup which one is it.What power setup was being used with that as you make tell of a few motor setups.Love what has been done so far.John

wilmracer
07-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Was just thinking about this thread and wanted to dig it up for an update! Anything new?

Matt Halton
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Didn't the builder/designer develop an allergy to epoxy,and sell the moulds to fighteraces.com?
Ali Machinchy I believe,has one up and running made by Phil Clark in the UK, with a big Hacker and sound system-assuming the model is the same one?

Is that correct?

Edit: Just read back a page, yes it is the same one.
I've seen pics in a UK mag,and it is darned beautiful!

KIMBERWHIP
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Bump?

crxmanpat
07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Jukka's last visit was 11/7/08. I doubt we're going to get any more updates on this thread. A shame too, I was looking forward to seeing the final product!

Although I think I may have found a video of one. I belive this is Ali Machinchy flying one with a Wren turboprop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2D6KRcm48