PDA

View Full Version : How much water can a motor take?

BobbyDog
01-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Hello everyone,

Well my favorite plane is now at the top of the highest tree in my field. Doh! My 6 year old son was flying my Magpie sport and somehow found one of the only trees in about 40 acres lol. It was at the very top of the tree, about 125 ft, but I rammed the tree with my backhoe a bunch of times and managed to knock it down to about 100 ft. Of course the damned lipo came loose and fell off the plane so now I wont be able to glide it down being so unbalanced. More than likely the plane will be up there untill the next wind storm so my question is, what does everyone think will happen to the servos / esc / motor / reciever in the rain?? They will all get wet the way the plane is sitting right now. If anyone's got any ideas of how to get it down I'd love to hear them. I would just fall the tree but the plane would definately get smashed. The tree is half dead and there are no branches that could support my weight so climbing is not an option. Thanks in advance.

Bobbydog

cbatters
01-07-2007, 04:15 AM
I have had 2 of my sons planes spend as much as a week aloft including rain storms and all was well when they finally came down.

There are a couple threads about retreiving planes from trees. I have a rubber launched projectile and string that I have perfected shooting up to ~70' Have never tried goigng higher (most of our trees are 50-70') but it should be possible.

Or just wait for the Wind to do it's magic.

Clint

Crash Test Dummy
01-07-2007, 05:40 AM
As long as you let the ESC receiver motor dry out 100% you should be fine. Just be sure to test everything to be xtra sure before you put a plane up in the air. The servos should also be good after some drying time and some more testing. Now if the servos were in a creek submerged that might be a different story. Water won't hurt Bl motors but it could dry out your motor bearings. The motor wires are insulated so a bit of water wont hurt the motor. Except the afore mentioned bearings. Let things dry out for a few days.

CTD

BobbyDog
01-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Its back! Your not going to believe this but it started to poor down rain at about 8:00pm, I went to bed at 10:00pm and couldnt sleep thinking of my poor plane getting soaked in the tree. The wind started to pick up at midnight so I get up and put on the rain gear, walked out in the field with a spotlight and there it was on the ground! Only damage is a broken prop and motormount. There is no water in the ESC or reciever at all, the wing must have shielded them, but the Himax motor was full of water. I've blown it out with compressed air and have it drying by the woodstove now. I'm hoping it will be ok and by the sounds of others experiences it should be fine. Thanks for the input guys, I think I got away lucky this time :)

Bobbydog

Rugar
01-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Its back! Your not going to believe this but it started to poor down rain at about 8:00pm, I went to bed at 10:00pm and couldnt sleep thinking of my poor plane getting soaked in the tree. The wind started to pick up at midnight so I get up and put on the rain gear, walked out in the field with a spotlight and there it was on the ground! Only damage is a broken prop and motormount. There is no water in the ESC or reciever at all, the wing must have shielded them, but the Himax motor was full of water. I've blown it out with compressed air and have it drying by the woodstove now. I'm hoping it will be ok and by the sounds of others experiences it should be fine. Thanks for the input guys, I think I got away lucky this time :)

Bobbydog

That's good to hear! Now go knock down that vicious plane eating tree! :D

Sparky Paul
01-07-2007, 05:24 PM
They dry out quickly..
Getting the water out of the wings is the hardest part..:)