PDA

View Full Version : Best flying GWS Warbird “stock”

tommytorino
07-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Guys

I’m entertaing the thought of trying to get a GWS Warbird combat club going. Having only flown the Spitfire, Corsair, and Zero <all on brushless power> I’m looking for the best flying model on stock 350 2S power.

Thanks

Tommy

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-29-2005, 07:42 PM
From everything I have read, the Corsair is the best flying of the bunch at slower speeds that the stock setup would mandate. If trying to keep costs down though, why not go to the 400C motor by GWS and bump up to a 3S pack? I have seen this setup perform as well as my Himax 2015.

tommytorino
07-29-2005, 08:18 PM
The idea is to keep a level inexpensive plating field. I would rather have a “old” 2S 1500 take a high altitude dirt nap, then say a 3S driving the 400.

Though the 400 and 3S would balance the plane a lot easier then the 400 the idea is to have “slow” combat.

Thanks for the comments.

Tommy

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-29-2005, 08:20 PM
That being the case - I stand by my original comment. I would recommend the corsair. I have personally flown one on a stock GWS setup with the 350 motor on B gearing, a 9x6 prop and a GWS 8.4 730mah nimh pack. The plane did fly. Albeit not with much authority.

tommytorino
07-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Put a avatar up just for you NA. With an Axi 2212/20 on 3S my corsair is all about authority!

Gullwing
07-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Mine flys real good with a MP Jet outrunner(red) and 3 cells :D

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Ha - on that setup, I bet it does!

Where is the avatar?

tommytorino
08-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Ha - on that setup, I bet it does!

Where is the avatar?

Hmmm I can see it. Right under my name :)

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Oh - I gotcha - yeah, nice corsair!

i clicked your sig link, thinking it was in there. Sorry, early this morning still.

stuff
08-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Corsair Himax 2025 4200 Gws D box 10/8 hd prop 3cell 1500 or larger lipo pack. Keep your eye on it or SPLAT.This setup keeps up with 40 gas plane.Low passes and verticl rolls Turns heads etc.etc. Stuff

supi7
08-08-2005, 06:02 AM
I have a GWS p51D Mustang with a TowerPro 2408-21 brushless motor.

Great plane to fly on 8x6 or smaller prop, handles well with slow speed but you have to tape or fill in the "authentic looking" lines and rivets on the lead edge of the wings. otherwise it tends to stall in slow turn.

I use our 1200mAh 3S packs or 1500mAh 2S pack mounted in the bow under the motor for perfect balance.

for Stock motors and gear box would go with a 2 cell pack and a 1080 or 1047 prop

Dan

WWI Ace
08-08-2005, 04:12 PM
As far as stock power, the GWS Corsair is the best of the bunch!! Mine had the 350 in it. Not a powerhouse but definitly a flyable airplane!!

flypaper 2
08-08-2005, 05:05 PM
GWS Zero. Himax 2025-4200 withe C drive, 10-8 prop, TP 2100 batt. Modified the saddle so it wouldn't climb with power. Lots of poop. I fly with STUFF and we sometimes fly mock combat with thw Corsair and Zero. Only time we had a midair is when we wern't flying combat.:confused: Both planes flew away from it. Saw something flutter down I thought it was my canopy. Did a flypast and it was still on. Corsair did a flypast and half the stab, elevator was missing. Is this considered a damaged:D I made a new one for him from pink foam. still flies as good as ever. Tough little birds.

FinnFlyer
08-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Mr. Lin from GWS has a new recommendation for the warbirds. He said to use the 400C with a D gearbox, with a 9x5 dd prop, on the GWS 1300mAh 3-cell Lipo. I ordered the F-4U w/400 a while back, and built it WAY to heavy. I retired it and ordered the Me-109 slope glider. I managed to cram the motor in with slight modifications. I will let everyone know how it flies, but reports are that it should do very well.:cool:

RacerPaul
08-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey Tommy! Great Idea!

My GWS A-10 just needs a lil tweakin to be ready. Scored it from RC Groups swap area. I'm considering upgrading the stock fans.

Paul

Aerowhatt
08-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Sounds like you are looking only at GWS warbirds. IMO you are really limiting yourself. Having flown all of the GWS warbirds (they are all owned by others so I can't vouch for their setups, balance etc.) I found them all various degrees of aerodynamically inferior. Sure you can make just about any design fly decently with enough thrust.

The absolute best electric warbirds on the market come from S&B models from down under.

Build quality - excellent
durability - excellent
Speed range - very wide
low speed handling - excellent
General Flight characteristics - absolutely unbelievable (the spitfire is my favorite but it's tough to choose between them) Put a mega 16/15/7 with a 7x7 speed prop on it and every other plane will bore you. It does great on a speed 400 too.

About 3 times the price of a GWS kit for 20 times the airplane

I always replace the chloroplast tail feathers with balsa because they are much cleaner through the air.

http://www.sbrcmodels.com/

Aerowhatt

vicman
08-11-2005, 10:15 PM
:cool: I have been flying mine bone stock with both a 8cell 930 NiMh and a 2s 1350 for over two years now. I would love to post a pic because it is a unique racing scheme but all my pics are too big:( .

irone
09-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Just to answer your original question. Which GWS warbird flies the best?

If you are interested in flying combat you will need a plane that is very easy to fly with no bad characteristics. Trust me, when the adrenilyn is pumping you don't need a plane that tip stalls when you over-control and jerk it up too fast. There is a lot of difference between a sport plane (GWS) and a combat plane. Also when you say stock 350 motor you are talking GWS dog plane. It truley needs more power than what comes in the box unless you run it on a 3cell lipo. I suggest you read through the combat threads located here on Wattflyer.:)

I love the smell of Lipos in the mornings!

SBR_RV
11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
hi, my p-51 flew well on the stock set up and came in resonably slow. i never had the experience of stalling in a turn.

now that i have upgraded it to brushless (himax 2025-4200) iam deciding on which gears would be better. i cant remeber which ones i have, but i have three sizes, which one would be better.

big daddy
11-17-2005, 01:19 AM
hey not to change the subject but what happened to the GWS P 40? Was it ever released?:confused:

qban_flyer
11-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Just to answer your original question. Which GWS warbird flies the best?

Also when you say stock 350 motor you are talking GWS dog plane. It truley needs more power than what comes in the box unless you run it on a 3cell lipo. I suggest you read through the combat threads located here on Wattflyer.:)

I love the smell of Lipos in the mornings!

I agree with you 100%. My Zero without landing gear and the stock power plant flew on the verge of a stall all the time. Definitely not suited for a combat event unless it gets a "power lift".

I replaced the stock set up with a Great Planes 370 affair from my first (now defunct) Cap "Road Kill" 3D foamy flatso (3 cell 900mil Li-Pos). It now flies off my hands, rolls like the best and even loops from level flight.

A total different flying animal altogether. AUW is 13.6 oz.

SBR_RV
11-17-2005, 05:19 AM
ah, i just had a flahsback and realised that my mustang never flew with a 300, i could not even get it of the ground.
all those flights was with a GWS 350, lol no wonder i never stalled her on turns.

mechrick
11-19-2005, 04:11 AM
How would you want to determine the "combat" winner? Flying banners to chop off or get on the other guys tail and yell d-d-d-d-d-dit?

If you want it to be competitive the flying gear (motor, battery, etc.)needs to be the same or within some strict guidelines. Having tried to chase a stock Corsair with a stock Zero (I have both), my B geared Zero needs to fly at full throttle to keep up with my C geared but wider battery pack Corsair at 3/5 throttle. My other experience was my Corsair chasing a much more powerful scratchbuild foamie with brushless and Lipos. Not a chance to catch him but what fun! Until I forgot what I was flying and stalled in too tight a turn and put it into the ground and 5 pieces. Lesson learned.

And yes, more power will keep you out of trouble if you pull too tight a turn, but isn't that the point of competition, to keep your vehicle under control whie pushing it to the limit?

My previous electric vehicle experience (I'm new to RC planes) was with slot cars many years ago. It was far more fun to "drive" the ones with loose rear ends that would slide through turns than it was to race the unlimited class that were glued to the track - literally. Invariably we would put the more expensive hot cars with all the extra performance enhancers (glue, wings, side air dams, magnets) away and race the old ones with skinny hard rubber tires that fishtailed all over the place.

Rick

BUCKSHOT
11-26-2007, 06:23 PM
E Flight P-47

K CLOSE
11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Tommy,
Let me get this straight, you asked which GWS warbirds fly best on a can motor for cheap (I assume) full contact fun. All other kit manufactures and brushless/warp/rocket drive systems aside here's my useless input.:p
I've flown the F4U, Zero, and the ME109 on stock 350 B drives. F4U flyes best right out of the box, ME109 a close second, the Zero is all messed up-but fixable. I've found that all have their issues, as follows;
F4U- best "out of the box" flyer- but mods needed to battery bay for 7.4 lipo's. Lovely bent wing profile has hampered my visual tracking of the plane when really tossing it around hard ( but that's the nature of the airframe-not the kit. Like a tip stall prone P-51 ;-)).
Zero- requires the most work to sort, but is well worth the effort. Lipo mods to the battery bay are tricky. Mine needed a 400 D drive to stay competive with the other birds, but that might be due to excessive epoxy :rolleyes:.
ME109- In my opinion the best of the three I've flown stock. Not as fast as the F4U (which suprized me, I thought for sure that bullet nose on the 109 would have give it the edge-maybe it was just my builds:confused: )Battery compartment mods are fairly straight forward. Performance on a 350 B drive is pretty good.
Of course just adding a BP-21 on 11.1 takes these planes to a whole new level of performance--but thats not the point of this exercize, right?;)
As a side note- it's really amazing how much damage one of these little hunks of foam can take and stay in the air. One of my GWS 109's got attacked mid-air by a goose (not the one that flew w/ Mavrick;-)). Lost huge chuncks of foam and control surfaces. Landed in a panic, but I was still able to grease it in.:D

BUCKSHOT
11-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I Hope It's The Gws Fw 190, I Just Got It Today......

BUCKSHOT
12-11-2007, 10:57 PM
It Is !

fr4nk1yn
12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Holy Thread Resurrections Batman!...

MD_Zebo
04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
you can get BL bell motors for £12.99 with ESC, http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&item=184
pretty cheap? tried it on a zero and had the same problems as every one else! sand down TE wing saddle. you can also give some downthrust.
LiPo's are cheap too, if you get them shipped from hong kong and treat them as high explosive!! think i got 2x 11.1 @1500mah for £20 (£15 of that shipping) the leads are poor and eventually fall off but easy to replace, not failed yet.
Best GWS? only ever had a zero, and I'd say if power is the same for all the range, Zero has to be the best DF'er as it was the most manouverable plane (try dogfighting a F4u in a zero in il2 1946,he's toast before he can make a pass)
If you get this club off the ground, please let me know, I'd love to see a few fights on video!!!!!!!

Fidy$Trainer
05-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I currently have a PZ F4U and wanted to get a smaller Warbird for the park. Anyone got a good combo from HobbyCity for these? Like a Turnigy Motor and what size battery and ESC. I Don't want to make it to heavy.