PDA

View Full Version : Power Cuts Out For Some Reason

Jatkiss
09-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey Guys,

Very new to flying. So, I have gone through a few planes. Although I have been fairly successful at the builds. I have had great difficulty in flying. So...I decided (each time I crashed) that I needed something even simpler to fly with.

I eventually have landed with an EasyStar. I have my 20A ESC and NiCadd Battery Setup (8 Cell). What I am finding is that at times nothing works. I plug it into the Receiver (which I think may have an intermittent problem), and it will work for a few seconds and then just stop. Then I hear a beeping sound ( I think from my castle studios ESC ). I then disconnect everything, make sure the battery is charged (which it is) and then hook it back up and then it works fine. The problem seems to stem from the receiver that I am hooking it into.

This intermittent failure has been the cause of at least one of my crashes (which sucked...man I liked that reflection).

Any suggestions? Is it common for those receiver things (the black box where you plug all the servo's into) to go bad?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would really like to FINALLY get into the air...and stay there for at least a few minutes =- ).

- Jeff

aeropal
09-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I then disconnect everything, make sure the battery is charged (which it is) and then hook it back up and then it works fine.
If the ESC is "seeing" the low-voltage-cutoff and cutting off the motor . . that would be normal. If elevator and rudder controls are also cutting out, that would indicate a connection continuity issue or possibly a defective receiver crystal. Have you slow charged the battery to ensure all the cells are equalized?

Jatkiss
09-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Yup,

I have slow charged the battery. The elevators and rudders are cutting out also. They work for a few minutes and then stop. It has also happened in mid air. It has happened not only with the ni-cadd but also the li-po's. I have pulled out the servos controls to double check to make sure everything is connected correctly and it doesn't help.

- Jeff

Twmaster
09-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Yup,

I have slow charged the battery. The elevators and rudders are cutting out also. They work for a few minutes and then stop. It has also happened in mid air. It has happened not only with the ni-cadd but also the li-po's. I have pulled out the servos controls to double check to make sure everything is connected correctly and it doesn't help.

- Jeff

Has the receiver you are trying to use been in a crash previously? If yes then it is possible that it has been damaged as a result of a crash. I have also seen bad crystals cause this sort of behavior.

It sounds like you need to try another receiver.

Jatkiss
09-29-2005, 03:02 AM
Yes,

It has been in a couple crashes, but never fell off or took any sort of a direct hit. I have been thinking something is wrong with the receiver though. Although I did see a little erratic behavior before any crashes took place.

Thanks for the advice guys !

- Jeff

Duster52
10-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Yes,

It has been in a couple crashes, but never fell off or took any sort of a direct hit. I have been thinking something is wrong with the receiver though. Although I did see a little erratic behavior before any crashes took place.

Thanks for the advice guys !

- Jeff

You may have had a bad crystal from the start. If so, any crash could have made it worse. If you can get ahold of another crystal, I would try that. Doesn't hurt to keep a spare.

Sky Sharkster
10-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Hi Jeff, I have a couple of suggestions that may help narrow the problem down, althouh I suspect, as others do, that it's your receiver.
(1) Range Check; With antenna lowered, walk 100 feet away from the plane. Have a flying buddy hold the plane. Check controls, have buddy confirm (hand signals) that everything works as intended. At that range there should be NO twitching or movement of the controls without TX input. If the servos start buzzing or the controls flutter, you've got either TX or RX problems.
(2) Do you have a receiver battery? If not, maybe you can borrow one. It's just a 4.8V (4 cell) battery, any mAH capacity, with a connector that will fit the receiver port, like a servo connector. Hook the RX battery up to the RX port labeled "Batt" or the 5th port on a 4 channel RX. Don't hook up the motor battery, unplug the ESC from the RX. The elevator and rudder should work. Do a range check with this set-up. If everything works without flutter or unintended movement, the RX and TX are likely OK, the problem may be ESC programming (with a "Castle Creations", re-set to default setting) motor-to-ESC connection, or ESC-to-RX connection.
(3) A new crystal. For less than $ 10.00 you can find out if this is the problem. If it still glitches, I'd return the RX to the manufacturer and maybe buy another one in the meantime. My favorite is the FMA Direct M5, next favorite is Hitec 555. Also make sure the RX antenna isn't nicked or cut, this is often overlooked and will cause major problems.
Good Luck! Ron

Smeghead
10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
One other thing it could be is if the esc is overheating, this can be caused by a number of things, such as no airflow or a partial short in the motor, or even if the esc is underrated for the current the engine is drawing.