PDA

View Full Version : 17th Not a charm...

tz250w
01-08-2007, 06:32 AM
J-3 Cub / Asphalt chisle...

With sixteen successful flights in the log book, the seventeenth was not so lucky.

Woke up at the crack of dawn, got my son out of bed and headed to "our" field to beat the wind. Found a constuction crew there working so headed to the alternate about 45 mins away. We noticed the wind had begun to pick up and waited a bit until it seemed to calm down. Launched got about 30 meters of alt and all of a sudden all hell broke loose. A huge gust of wind took it 200 yards down wind before I could get it turned around back towards us (upwind) and then even at full throttle it was getting pushed away like a kite without a string right towards a group of old folks playing "gateball" at the other end of the field (and all their parked cars). I finally managed to get it a bit off to the side away from them but as it was still getting pushed back and I was running out of visual I decided to bring it down before we lost it...

In the last 20 meters I pushed the nose down a bit more, the wind caught the top of the wing and it augered landing smack on the propshaft right in the middle of a paved access road. 10 more meters to the right and it would have landed in a river.

Damage. Busted cowling, firewall, gearbox and the supports for the radio gear. The fuselage is pretty much hosed from the cockpit forward. The motor appears okay and luckily the electrics survived. Everything works and the servos are smooth, tail intact and the wing only got a minor ding. I just checked and for a few dollars more than ordering the parts separately I can get the ARF version (minus radio gear, which is okay) so that's now on order. We will at least have plenty of spare parts.

Oh well, lesson learned. STAY OUT OF THE WIND IN A LIGHT UNDERPOWERED PLANE!!!

(Will post pics later, when I can find the doggone camera!)

Don Sims
01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Ouch TZ! Hate this happened to you!

stinkweed007
01-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Trainers dont dig the wind to much either..

But the cool thing is that you grabbed your son and went to the field!! now you will present him the lesson that whats broken can be repaired and you can fly again!!

Get back up!!!

tz250w
01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks! Hopefully we will be back up in the air next weekend, with a bucket load of spares... My son took it better than I thought he would. Fortunately the ARF kit is reasonably priced when you consider buying everything separately.

I've been on the phone with my local guru today about getting some more equipment, a brushless setup to mount in an old Cessna he gave me to get more stick time before I attempt to move on to my dream of aileron Warbirds. The theory is, buy the transmitter (6ch), receiver, battery, charger, servos, amp and a cheap brushless. Beat the crap out of the Cessna (foamy), well actually... learn more advanced moves on it (the Kyosho is more fragile, and with its film coating over the fuselage, harder to repair) and then step up to the aileron setup with a bit larger plane. My guru buddy is into the 3D stuff with flat foam models he builds but I'm more interested in scale.

"My son's" J-3 will be reserved for good weather conditions only... I flew it two days ago at the same place with very little to no wind and it was almost boring. I guess today I got a bit over confident and should have reconsidered... "Gottaflyitis" is the problem I suppose.

tz250w
01-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Another thing about my son. Fortunately with the sim time he's had, he knows what goes up must come down and that a landing is really a controlled crash. The only thing I'm really worried about right now is my wife finding receipts I forgot to burn...

firemanbill
01-08-2007, 05:21 PM
That's too bad Max... You should be able to get her fixed up in no time.

Wife finding receipts = bad... be more careful...lol