PDA

View Full Version : Best Brushed 600 Motor out There?

Scratch
09-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I am looking to upgrade a GP S600 brushed motor geared 4.5:1. I should obviously go the brushless/lipo route, but really don't want to dump $300+ into this plane doing it either.

What's a good, or best alternative for a brushed motor?

watt_the?!
09-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Alot of the rc boat guys use the 500,600,700 size brushed motors and swear by them.

apparently they go for the 700 as it is robust and gives great performance.

swing by an rc boat forum, or email the owners of micro hydro or fast electrics and they'll be able to give you the low down.

sorry, i dont have such a motor myself.

Tim.

Matt Kirsch
09-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Next step up from a 550/600 can motor is a "stock" or 27-turn buggy motor with ball bearings and replaceable brushes. The best alternative to a brushed motor is of course a brushless.

There's a false economy with brushed motors, because even the best buggy motor with ball bearings and replacable brushes will still wear out relatively quickly. The weak link is that commutator. It can only be turned so many times before it's shot, then you have to replace the armature, or the entire motor. Do that once or twice with these top-end buggy motors that cost $40-$80, and you're close to the cost of a brushless...

You've got the same problem with Speed 700 motors. They cost $50-$60 each. They won't bolt up to the 500/550/600 gearboxes, so you need to purchase an expensive gearbox like the MEC Superbox at ~$60. Seems cheap until you add it all up and take a look at what's available in brushless these days.

Now, there's no law saying brushless and LiPoly have to go together... That's only if you want the maximum performance gains. Electricity is electricity; a can motor can run on a LiPoly, and a brushless motor can run off of NiCd/NiMH packs. You can do either upgrade by itself and the improvement will still blow your mind.

If you're going to pick one upgrade, I'd recommend the brushless motor. The Great Planes Silver Series 45A ESC is only $60. An AXI 2820/10 is $90. That's not $300; it's $150.

Terry Till
09-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Going brushless should not cost you more than $160, especially if you look for sales. Plus brushless motors last forever.
Additionally, 600 brushed motors are SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than brushless motors for a given power input.
There are very good NiMh batteries out there; subC's up to 3800mah. You don't need to go lipo unless weight is absolutely critical.
Terry

Scratch
09-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Matt, that makes sense.

I didn't realize the more expensive brushed buggy type motors would not last that long.

I was thinking the ESC you suggested (GP) and a Himax 3516-1350 ($80). This is for my GP Ryan STA EP which now weighs 3.5# with the stock 600 on an 8 cell 2400 NiCd pack. The motor/gearbox is 10oz., so I'd lose about 4oz going to this set up. I would think that'd fly ok, you think? It's a Ryan so 3D is obviously not an option, I just want good sport performance. Currently the ROG is around 400':eek:.

Twmaster
09-30-2005, 02:32 PM
I am looking to upgrade a GP S600 brushed motor geared 4.5:1. I should obviously go the brushless/lipo route, but really don't want to dump $300+ into this plane doing it either.

What's a good, or best alternative for a brushed motor?

While what others have said regarding replacement of brushed motors and the benefits of brushless I'll offer you three good suggestions from my boat racing days that won't cost a fortune.

1. Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem 22 turn goes for about $20 from Tower
2. Traxxas Stinger. It is a 20 turn motor IIRC and also sells for about $20
3. Tamiya Sport Tuned motor. 23 turns also cheap in the $20 range.

Yes these motors do wear out. But if you take care of them they can last a very long time making them cheap to keep over time. Boats are incredibly hard on motors and I have had a Magnetic Mayhem last an entire season before needing an armature replacement.

One thing to remember. Speed 500, 540. 550, 600 and motors called 05, are all basically the same. The can type motors are the same more of less with the exception of differing winds on the armature.

Ideally replacing your motor with a brushless would be the best way to go.

rcers
09-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Kyosho endoplasma was the ticket - they are hard to find now, but will take up to 50 amps (yea that is right boys). I run one at 35 and it pulls my eDawg with authority. At the mid-30 amp range I suspect it will go 150 flights before new brushes or a comm turn.

Check the LHS for them, they have BB instead of bushings and have HUGE brushes. That allows those power rates. They are perfect for the GP Ryan STA.

Mike

Scratch
09-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys. There's a LHS right up the road from my house - they are mainly a car shop, so they might have something lying around.

mesty
06-07-2006, 08:49 AM
LRP big blok
and check the trinity site.
there are a bunch of new 550 can size motor with hot winds 12-turns.
that are dedicated for e-maxx and other monstertrucks. these motors can swing large props on low reductons. between 1:2 and 1:3.
TM