PDA

View Full Version : Wha happen?

simibill
01-10-2007, 09:21 PM
My UltraStick 25e committed suicide this morning. On the second flight of the day it suddenly went nose down and I was unable to make any corrections including power. This was the second flight with a new AR6100 receiver. I range checked it before the first flight and everything checked OK.

Post mortem check showed everything still working, the battery had 50% of its capacity left, so I am completely baffled as to what might have happened.

I think had it been an out of range problem, (I was about 1500 feet out at an altitude of 200 feet) that the system should have gone to fail safe.

Any clues here?

Sparky Paul
01-12-2007, 07:12 PM
I had the same thing occur with the receiver from the Blade CX-2 and the Blade LP5DSM transmitter, but at 300 feet away.
With the DX-7 transmitter range was normal.. at least I could control the plane at the furthest distance I would take that sort of plane.. Cheapie SS knockoff.
I just picked up an AR6100 receiver, and note its physical similarity to the CX-2 receiver.. and there's a few warnings in the documentation about range.
I'm pondering what plane to try the AR6100 in..a TD plane for lots of altitude, or a fun flier for distance while close to the ground.
The 6100 appears to have the same guts as the AR7000, which has no range limit..

simibill
01-12-2007, 08:37 PM
What bothers me is that a loss of signal should put the AR6100 in a fail safe mode, i.e. neutral controls and idle power.

Sparky Paul
01-13-2007, 02:07 AM
With mine, the plane nosed in.

simibill
01-13-2007, 03:02 AM
Mine too, and that's what has me puzzled. Should have gone to fail safe. I'm going to do some more extensive range testing.

Dorsal
01-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't know about that specific receiver, but most of them wait 2 seconds before going into "fail safe" mode. At 30 mph, 2 seconds equates to 88 feet - - - up, left or down.
"Fail safe" mode normally means the surfaces are returned to neutral positions, and the throttle is shut off. The receiver has no sensors built in to understand if the plane is upside-down, full right aileron with full down elevator after that 2 seconds of "no signal" is over.
So, if the plane is heading for the dirt, it will neutralize the surfaces and go in like a dart.

Also, if you have metallic or carbon rods on the plane, and your antenna is running parallel to them, you could have flown the model to an attitude where the antenna is "hidden" behind the electrically-conductive rods, causing the "no signal" condition.

tclaridge
01-16-2007, 03:30 AM
Is it possible that at 1500 ft you weren't sure which way was up? If you got inverted in a turn, then "pulling up" would put you in the dirt. 1500 ft is 5 football fields!! How can you see that far?

Just a thought. I put a 40 size trainer in the dirt only 150 yds away at sunset. The lighting fooled my eye into thinking the plane was going left when it was really banking right.

simibill
01-16-2007, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=tclaridge;138583] How can you see that far?

After reading your reply, I have to agree that the model was probably 500 feet out and 200 feet high, rather than 1500 feet. I did have a good view of the model so I am sure I didn't make an incorrect input.

K CLOSE
03-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Lost my P-47 in a similar fashion. The best answer I was ever able to come up with was bad battery connectors. I WAS using Tamiya style (like in a Parkzone) connectors. Battery dis-connected in air, freezing everything in place. All turned back on when it slammed into the runway 'tho. Worth a look anyway.
Cheers

tclaridge
03-10-2007, 02:35 PM
A guy at my LHS reported a few crashes with bad Tamiya connectors. Now, he only uses the PowerPole Anderson. Me too. They are great, and I only use them. If I get a new model like a Parkzone, I switch out to Andersons before any flight. I highly recommend this, and I almost always fly things stock because I don't like to fuss muss too much. This connector is worth the effort though.

crxmanpat
03-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Add another vote here for replacing Tamiya connectors with anything else (I prefer Deans myself).

Also, I have two club members that have reported problems when using the AR6100's. I won't trust them until Spektrum looks at them closer. Maybe it was a bad production run or something.

Although I'm not too worried about it anyway as I'm going to get the XPS 2.4gHz module system (www.xtremepowersystems.net/xtremelink) and receivers for my JR XP8103.

tclaridge
03-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Pat,
I grew up in AZ! Anyway, I would be interested in hearing what the problems were with the AR6100 (loose antenna wires, range problem, horizontal lock up?)

crxmanpat
03-14-2007, 05:06 AM
Horizontal lock-up, according to the members in my club having problems.

simibill
03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Horizontal lock-up, according to the members in my club having problems.

What exactly is "Horizontal lock-up"?

I recently spoke to a tech at Spektrum and told him of my crash with a AR6100 receiver, and that I had heard of other reports of problems with them. He said they have not heard of any particular problems with the AR6100 receivers. They offered to check my receiver that was involved in a crash, so maybe I will send it to them.

Philscbx
03-24-2007, 11:44 AM
This may be unrelated as a cause, but while at an RC show in the Netherlands. While on tour for 3 months in Europe.
Surrounded by corn, and vegetable fields on one side and trees behind us. 1 - 1/4 scale, one heli, and several smaller crashed near the vegetable fence line. Granted Dutch is the language used there, I didn't pick up any chit chat.

I have some photo's, but haven't tried posting any here yet.
But I really wanted to sniff out what may have caused this in that area.
Do we have this device available?
I asked a couple people at random at the event, but didn't get any info.
I didn't walk across runway to test to see if fence was electrified, and may not have. But in my observation, it was looking like a black hole if anyone got within 200 feet above that spot. It really hit home when my Son lost 2 in the area.
Is it possible that field sprinkler systems have some radio control? Are farmers going high tech? A loose underground connection? There are also large power line towers at a good distance, but seem to be no effect. Very strange though.