PDA

View Full Version : Yorkie Rescue Charity Fundraiser

admin
01-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi everyone. I don't normally do this but I know there are a lot of avid animal supporters here on WattFlyer just as I am.

THE STORY
My wife and I both help out several animal rescue organizations along with making donations to ASPCA and the HSUS each year. One of the organizations we are fairly active in is a Yorkie Rescue that takes in surrendered or abandoned Yorkie's and then works to place them in a good home.

All the people who help are unpaid volunteers who pour their heart, souls and time into saving these little guys with no praise other than the satisfaction they get knowing they saved each and every dog they place.

The rescue provides and pays for the medical expenses required by the dogs taken in whether it be just a checkup or more involved such as a surgery. All the money raised from fundraisers and adoption fees goes back to the cause to pay for future medical and other related expenses.

We recently took in a dog that had the same condition my dog (pictured in my avatar) had 9 years ago called a liver shunt. We had the surgery done on this little guy who otherwise would never have had a chance. The surgery was about 6 weeks ago and he's doing great. The cost for this however was over $5,000 and paid for by our rescue. I'm told there may be a 2nd shunt dog coming in too now. :(

To help pay for all this each year the rescue does a handful of dog trade shows to raise money for the year to help pay for these "whopper" expenses that come up. They sew by hand dog beds, leashes and collars one by one and sell them at the shows to raise money. Again, nobody gets paid for the 100's of hours to create these products for sale. These women are all saints in my book.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
The booth cost each year for one of the big shows coming up next month we try to get covered which is about $1500. If anyone here can donate to the rescue any amount to help defray the booth cost that would be fantastic. Whether you can do just $5, $25, $50, $100 or more...it all helps.

Your donation is tax deductible and you can be assured that all proceeds go towards the animals. Not only do the volunteers not take a dime but they continue to put out their own time and money to help these dogs who would otherwise be put to sleep or abandoned for no reason.

The rescue can take paypal or checks. You can get more info on the organization as well as view the paypal links right on the website. The paypal link is on the left side of the rescue's homepage. If you make a donation please note it is to help cover the booth cost.

Thanks to everyone in advance who donates and your generous contributions will be put to good use.

www.yorkierescueme.com (http://www.yorkierescueme.com/)

Marc

aviatordave
01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Good cause! If you have never experienced the fun a yorkie brings into your house then your missing out! :)

Very unique dogs, nothing like I have ever owned before. I'm glad I have one but I can still donate rather than adopt another.

Give it a look guys, show your significant others....

Here is ours, 'Jake' - 5 year old Yorkshire Terrier

Dave

admin
01-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Dave,

Hi. Thanks for sharing! Here is a snapshot of my 3. I've had quite a few in my house at one time besides my own as we foster some rescues until they find a home and we also babysit (dogsit?) for many of our friends.

Everyone else please remember you can't assume that the "other guy" is going to donate so you don't have to. Truth is too many people assume this and then so few end up donating to various good causes. I know alot of people often want to donate to this website but instead of giving support for our operation, please donate to this charity or one of your own selected ones instead. They need it much more.

aviatordave
01-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Nice looking crew there. Is the wise one on the right looking off at something? lol

I like that blury effect around them, good photo!

They own the house and let you live there.....

Dave :)

jrb
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Yorkie lovers!

Here’s mine/ours; well my daughter’s!

Her name is Jackie O; born 8/31/06; jumped out of box and into our hearts on Christmas morning! The dream Christmas morning of most kids – the breeder loved me coming very early to pick her up – really.

We lost our Schnauzer at the beginning of Nov; she followed our 1st Schnauzer – my wife and I’s 1st “kid” – 4yrs before our daughter.

My dilemma – maybe I’ve gotten tired, but this little girl (2# 9oz @ 5months) is full of spunk and doesn’t seem to have an attention span for training.

Housebreaking isn’t going good; not nearly as well as I remember for the Schnauzers.

What’s the best training treat?

She’s eating a little over cup of Royal Canin Puppy 33 Formula (suggested by breeder – website says should be BabyDog 30 Formula?); so I’m I don’t want to give/use a training treat that interferes with good nutrition.

Any and all suggestion welcomed!

TIA,

Jim

e-mail is jim DOT blanner AT catpumps DOT com

admin
01-22-2007, 03:58 AM
Aviator Dave - thanks. that was taken with a telephoto lens which gave the blurred background effect. 200mm with canon digital rebel 35mm. I had a perfect shot that day. That photo I have blown up into a huge poster too! Yes they do own this house and just let us live here!

jrb - Jackie O is great looking! Looks so much like our first yorkie as a pup too (and they can vary a bit in look as pups). For training use whatever works. Go to petco and buy 10 kinds of treats and find one that she responds to. Yorkies can be tough to housebreak. Couple of mine took couple weeks and one took a year. Not uncommon for them to be stubborn and take awhile so don't get discouraged. You really just have to be on top of them. Try and paper train them AND outdoor train them. That way when the weather is bad or your not home you have the option play. :)

Thanks for sharing the great pics

marc

Wireless
01-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi Marc,

We have four Yorkies and two Tonkinese cats. They really are great pets and living in Yorkshire, well, what other breed could we possibly have...? :D I have made a donation through the rescue site - if it helps pay to help some of those little guys that give so much unconditional love then that's all the better. Makes me sad to think that people throw those guys out. They are really great. I will try find some pics of ours...

Rup

PS : Not sure of your affiliation to Rescue Me Yorkies but the donation thank you page threw an error. Page not found or similar.

admin
01-29-2007, 03:02 PM
thanks for the support Rup. I'll let them know the donation page at paypal is tossing an error. I actually donated my time and helped them build their website but I didn't do the paypal piece.

Post some pics when you get a chance :)

Wireless
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Here's Molly and Bebe :D Can't find one of Tyke & Tilly at the moment.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/RupertKent/Misc/molly_bebe.jpg

AEROMOD
02-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Really it is a good deed.
Animals makes the environment moderate and liveable for man in a nice way.Exibits the creative phenomine of God.

SAVS
03-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I got Chloe for Christmas 2001 and she has been a blessing. I worked out of my home for the first 5 years of her life and we were inseprable. The picture also has my other best friend, I have had her 24 years :D.

smokejohnson
03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I got the same error after payment. According to my pay pal acct the payment went through. Hope it helps.:)

Pay it Forward;)

admin
03-22-2007, 03:18 PM
thank you for the support. I will check with the rescue organization to confirm they got it and see if the error after the payment was a paypal or other code issue. if you remember the errror please PM me.

Also they are now officially 501c3 status so payments to this charity are tax deductible. All the proceeds go to the rescue animals. All the people who help in the organization are 100% non salary and volunteer (I call them saints).

marc

aviatordave
12-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Heres a bump for a good charity.

And here is our 'Jake', our 6 year old Yorkie. Make sure you keep them warm in the winter (my wife did this)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/aviatordave1967/IMG_4803Small.jpg

Mike Parsons
12-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Heres a bump for a good charity.

And here is our 'Jake', our 6 year old Yorkie. Make sure you keep them warm in the winter (my wife did this)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/aviatordave1967/IMG_4803Small.jpg

He is freakin cute! My aunt has 6 yorkies (she breeds them). I still cant get used to how small they are.