PDA

View Full Version : what program to edit video?

Walter Laich
09-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Assuming I have downloaded a video from my camcorder (CVS) how to I go about editing out all the "boring" stuff?

thanks
walt

ForestCam
09-29-2005, 11:15 PM
How about Windows Movie Maker?

John Seidelman
09-29-2005, 11:21 PM
It comes with XP and it's free

EpoweredRc
09-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Assuming I have downloaded a video from my camcorder (CVS) how to I go about editing out all the "boring" stuff?

thanks
walt

I have a question for you,how did you download the video from your camera to your computor?

John Seidelman
09-29-2005, 11:44 PM
I have the Dazzle Video Creator sold in Computer Stores. I got mine over a year ago and wored with some Video tapes I had made in 1980 and put them on DVD.

watt_the?!
09-30-2005, 12:03 AM
i like video edit magic...

admin
09-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Pinnacle Studio 9! www.pinnaclesys.com (http://www.pinnaclesys.com) is great. used it for all my review videos. should be around $100 but does it all.

Walter Laich
10-01-2005, 12:03 AM
FRF,
I haven't received the CVS camera yet. Just wanting to cover my bases ahead of time.

Walt

EpoweredRc
10-01-2005, 12:27 AM
FRF,
I haven't received the CVS camera yet. Just wanting to cover my bases ahead of time.

Walt

I didnt even notice you said a CVS cam recorder but still,how do you plan on getting the stuff you took from it to the computor? I am asking cause I am looking for ways of doing this myself.just exporing all the choices I have.

Walter Laich
10-01-2005, 08:48 PM
There is supposed to be some sites sent with the camera that will have the programs needed to download from the camera. He set it yesterday so as soon as I get it I'll post them

walt

EpoweredRc
10-01-2005, 11:11 PM
There is supposed to be some sites sent with the camera that will have the programs needed to download from the camera. He set it yesterday so as soon as I get it I'll post them

walt

Oh CVS is going to put it on disk for you? Or am I wrong.

Walter Laich
10-05-2005, 02:35 AM
The idea is you can download the vids and reuse the camera which, by the way, came today but other commitments kept me from opening the box. So we look towards tomorrow for the big day.

w

EpoweredRc
10-05-2005, 05:29 AM
The idea is you can download the vids and reuse the camera which, by the way, came today but other commitments kept me from opening the box. So we look towards tomorrow for the big day.

w

Oh alright, I have only heard about it never seen one or asked about one before,let us know.

Walter Laich
10-17-2005, 01:46 AM
I finally got my camcorder and killed it the second day! Took about a week but it's back from the grave.

Try www.camerahacking.com (http://www.camerahacking.com) to see what it's all about. There is a programs Ops .13 that does the downloading to the PC and you take it from there. I've got a couple done (on the ground) and I am planning on building a tray to carry the camera.

stay tuned.

w

tkilwein
11-12-2005, 03:06 PM
I have the CVS setup and made a download cable. I have used it several times with no problems downloading video. it is in AVI format.
You can get ~50 minutes with a new bin file.

I would upload a video but they are several meg.

Tony

nakelp86
11-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Well guys I get the video from Nikon 3700,
I was able to convert it to play in WMPlayer but the avi files are enormous.
Tried the Bink compression but quality went down drasticly.
Anyone knows easy way to convert and compress Qick time videos??

nakelp86
11-13-2005, 03:56 AM
Also my MagAPie met the tree this morning so back to shop it goes :-((

EpoweredRc
11-13-2005, 09:33 AM

Ouch, should keep it away from them trees, the tree rats might get it.

KarlB
11-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Well guys I get the video from Nikon 3700,
I was able to convert it to play in WMPlayer but the avi files are enormous.
Tried the Bink compression but quality went down drasticly.
Anyone knows easy way to convert and compress Qick time videos??
I use Windows Media Encoder to convert .mov to .wmv. These files will still be large, so I use Windows Movie Maker to edit and compress .avi or .wmv files.

qban_flyer
11-13-2005, 07:25 PM

Sorry to hear about that close encounter of the not so good kind. Hope it did not damage the video equipment. :o

nakelp86
11-13-2005, 09:36 PM
I use Windows Media Encoder to convert .mov to .wmv. These files will still be large, so I use Windows Movie Maker to edit and compress .avi or .wmv files.
I was looking for wm encoders and have no clue where to find them and how to use them. I assume its a download and attaches automaticaly to WM player??
Its really tough to get 1 GB of video chopped into pieces to fit 10 MB or less, max alowed on most sites (RC Groups).

nakelp86
11-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Sorry to hear about that close encounter of the not so good kind. Hope it did not damage the video equipment. :o
Thx for kind words.
I attempted to got to work on the plane today but ever closer ispection tells me that it may not be worth the effort :-(.
Tail parts are glued solid and pretty banged up (cracked foam, if not cracked -bent -wont get into straight lines).
I will see tomorow when I have some time but it appears that fixing it may be just waiste of time, unless I use it for practice:-)).
probably would take me same amount of time to make a new plane.....wel a bit longer but close.
No other equipment ( except motor mount) was damaged.
Pics of damage on RC groups (magpie thread).

KarlB
11-14-2005, 12:50 AM
I assume its a download and attaches automaticaly to WM player??
No, it's a separate program; still free though. Do a search for "Windows Media Encoder."

qban_flyer
11-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Thx for kind words.
probably would take me same amount of time to make a new plane.....wel a bit longer but close. May be the way to go.
No other equipment ( except motor mount) was damaged.
Good thing.
Pics of damage on RC groups (magpie thread).
Don't visit there often. Same user ID as here and RCU, just don't visit RCG. :rolleyes:

TeslaWinger
12-13-2005, 12:07 PM
There are a lot of devices out there to get from cam to computer. I used the Dazzle Video Creator for yrs with great results. There is no substitute for dedicated video processing hardware to do it right. Pinnacle bought them out and offers the DVC80 which is a simple SVHS and Composite input device but has no onboard hardware to render to the size/quality you want so then you need something like Studio9 or MovieMaker to render everything to the target media you want.

The Studio9 AV/DV is about $100 and includes Vin and Vout and a slotboard that does the video processing so you dont need to render everything with software only- a time consuming and crashprone endeavor.
My favorite solution is an ATI video card with in and outputs for video and an ATI friendly version of Studio9. I used it today to render out a video with 150 vid clips, and 200 pictures and music and titles and it worked perfectly, unlike other attempts with previous versions! The target media was DVD-R so uploading THAT would be impossible, but it sure is pretty.

Yes. Video is HUGE! Its 30 pictures per second flying by in normal video or fancy code to only redraw the stuff that moves from frame to frame. The worst quality results when EVERYTHING in the picture moves- like with aerial video, in the case MPEG. The files are already crunched down as smal as possible. Zipping them is pointless.

If you start with low quality video then make an MPEG of it, the quality is not real impresssive. If you make AVI files it looks much better but is far too large to upload and show anyone. Sometimes a single picture grabbed from the video tells the story better than a low Q video and you CAN upload that easily. Too many choices? Yep! Enjoy!
TW
PS: As for editing, my theory is that it is like deciding which of your children to sell for medical experiments- but decide you must- or you end up with a Gone with the Wind saga that no one will ever see! Keep the best exposed action sequences and keep the clips short. Like Vlad the Impaler, get to the point quickly, lose the rest! OUCH! :D