PDA

View Full Version : Accu-Cycle Elite Li-Po Discharge Rate

larrymcg
09-29-2005, 10:58 PM
This charger will discarge Li-Pos. It's default rate for 1, 2, or 3-cells is 0.3A. Seems like it would take a real long time to discharge a 1500mA pack at that rate.
Why is it so low?
Is a higher rate safe? The discharge rates when flying are much higher than that.
Curiously,
Larry

timocharis
09-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Larry,

Why do you want to discharge LiPos? Generally, there's no need unless you want to use the packs up faster ... at least, no reason I know about!

Dave North

larrymcg
09-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Discharging before disposal seems like a good idea (but I see that not everyone agrees on that). But you wouldn't be in a hurry unless you thought you should watch the discharge process for safety reasons.

My question was mostly curiosity. One thought I've had is that the charger can't dissapate the energy very fast, especially if you are doing two packs at once.

Larry

timocharis
09-30-2005, 04:45 AM
The pre-disposal discharge drill (at least popular around here) is to put some water in a jar, add some salt to taste, drop the dying li-po in it, and leave it until you remember it's there and throw it away.

My understanding is they're trash-can safe at that point.

And I think you're right about the charger.

Dave

Matt Kirsch
09-30-2005, 02:18 PM
The reason packs are soaked in salt water is to discharge them. There's no need to do it beforehand.

There are two reasons it's done in salt water:
1. The discharge rate is slow and gentle, to minimize/eliminate any heat buildup in the cell.
2. The water absorbs and carries away any heat that does build up.