PDA

View Full Version : Polk's Hobby Fokker DR1

watt_the?!
09-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi All,

this bird is pretty popular and a cool ARF, but for electric it NEEDS some serious attention to the CoG and placement of weight.

Theres a huge thread about how to at another site, but since i got me another i thought id post it as i go here.

The first pics show the plane fully recovered, rehinged (removal of 45 degree aileron/elevator leading edge and replaced with round one, and does not show that large amounts of material has been removed aft of the firewall to lighten the rear.

it's WIP at the moment.

the first one went down due to major loss of signal from Tx....

tim

pace_likethesalsa
09-30-2005, 01:05 AM
gotta give it style points. Very simple looking yet still sweet

NitroCharged
09-30-2005, 01:23 AM
Nice cover job! - looking good already and its not even finished :)

WWI Ace
09-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Great to see a new thread on this site!!! I've wanted to build one of these forever but it seems to be so expensive to convert to electric. Let's see how a pro does it!!!

watt_the?!
09-30-2005, 03:01 AM
lol... im no pro thats for sure, and had an advantage in already building one..

i often get my consultant in also, Dr. Emel. He has a way of making things fit.

Anyways, i did some weathering yesterday, looks alot dirtier now...

WWI Ace
10-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Is there a way to build one of these with a power system that doesn't cost twice as much as the plane??

WWI Ace
10-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Allright Watt The?! Where's some more building? You aren't finishing it without us are you?

watt_the?!
10-04-2005, 11:57 PM
bee n working on this ..plus 2 kids make it difficult to make fast progress.

watt_the?!
10-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Is there a way to build one of these with a power system that doesn't cost twice as much as the plane??

maybe... a geared 500 might do it and nimhs under the cowl.

WWI Ace
10-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Say!!! I've never seen a triplane like that before! Is that a GWS a-10? What are ya gonna use for power? Cool plane!!!

watt_the?!
10-05-2005, 01:12 AM
lol... yeah i bit of a tangent...

its completely stock with the 55 fans.

im getting a bit tired of chasing the super setups these days.

tim.

thanks for the comments too...

WWI Ace
10-05-2005, 01:12 AM
BTW, I have 3 kids and so I know what it's like!!! They always seem to need my attention when I have something I want to work on!

WWI Ace
10-21-2005, 12:17 AM
All right "Jetboy", finish your Warthog and lets see some more triplane building!!!

scalercflyer
10-21-2005, 01:09 AM
AMEN!!! WWI ACE! Martin

NitroCharged
10-22-2005, 03:07 AM
Did you find your rxer and servos yet Tim?

Iturnright
11-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Please tell me everything about it, I have been looking at them for two or three weeks, and it looks like it should be a good plane. However, I don't have any idea what I would put in it since their power estimates are certainly off. So please, I need some advice on what to use with it, how it flies, and maybe a price estimate. I'd love to put it on my list:) . Thanks.

watt_the?!
11-16-2005, 01:48 AM
ok..i have two of them...got sent one that went missing and then turned up about 16 weeks later afterf the replacement arrived.

so one has the axi 2820-10 and 11x7 prop at about 30A for nearly 1:1 thrust/weight.

the other ive decided to go for a geared speed 600 so that it has plenty of weight up front and might even go for the nimhs also. looking at 0.5-0.7:1 thrust/weight for it which should be fine.

it can be slapped together in hours, or if you're like me it can take months with recovering, lightening, repainting, scale details and little spare time...

i havent even taken the other one out of the box yet but got the electrics ready.

the trick with this plane is to make sure you get ALOT of weight up the front, or try to reduce weight at the rear.

or both.

my first Polk DR1 crashed due to a faulty Antenna at about 300 feet but after a few circuits and some impressive flying and takeoff characteristics...and that had about 14 oz of lead in its nose....yep you got it...14 oz.

so you get the idea. btw mine was heavily painted and at the time i didnt realise how much of a mongrel itd be to get the CoG right so didnt pay much attention to weight saving at the rear...

Let me know of any questions and ill do my best to answer.

ill post a pic of the new in hangar plane also...

tim.

Iturnright
11-16-2005, 03:36 AM
OK, sounds good, 600 size motor, 2-3.8 geared, suitable ESC, battery, and it flies good.
Thanks.

edit: On second thought, I could use some suggestions on what kind of Ni-Mh battery to use.

watt_the?!
11-16-2005, 06:36 AM
apparently it flies ok with a geared 400 brushless also.

but the concensus seems to be a 500 class motor minimum, with 600 preferred. the axi is a 500 class i think but brushless of course so does the job very well.

im using the 11 x 7 prop for around 44oz thrust. id prefer to go for a 13 x 6 or so for scale appearance so that being said, a 480 with large reduction might do the trick.

the comments ive also heard is that this plane responds well to speed. i cant comment on that one but can comment that my other dr1s dont handle great at low speed.

ive never used nimh before myself, so am getting some advice. Apparently the GP3300 might be the answer as they are older generation than the newer 3700 (3800) cells and are alot cheaper now. wire them together with wire (not tabs) and they can be velcroed to the shape of the cowl.

that weight right up there might not be needed though and they might be ok in the batt compartment pushed right up to the firewall.

anyone care to chime in on the nimh selection please?

Tim.

watt_the?!
11-16-2005, 08:50 PM
ok i mocked it up...found that the recent hot weather kinda wrinkled the covering a bit....

Iturnright
11-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Something like this maybe?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGBM7&P=0

watt_the?!
12-13-2005, 09:57 PM
sorry ITurn, i missed your last post for some reason.

took it out yesterday for the maiden.

rolled out on grass beautifully...tail lifted, slowly fed in elevator and it climbed out easily and under control.

a bit of down trim and right ail trim and it was flying perfectly.

i had to add a bit of down elevator though as it wouldnt outside loop...but did fly very well inverted.

rolls were reasonably fast, but not pretty....to do a nice roll in the dr1 is to have alot of speed and to combine opposite rudder with both sides of the roll and the down elevator...not worth the effort me thinks..

tried some slip (rudder) turns and was surprised that the rudder didnt seem to have huge authority even with 50mm deflection. ailerons at 8mm though were plenty enough.

loops need to be done a bit different than the regular plane, as it hits the apex and then kinda falls downwards in no particular order..kinda like a dart thrown upwards then turning back towards earth. so you need to apply power right past the top of the loop before powering off.

now the speed was very good. even on the 11x5 prop which i thought might be too slow. flew it mostly at half throttle, and had to throttle back even downwind.

alot of elevator and a bit of power needs to be fed into the turns also, to keep the nose, airspeed and altitude up.

What was surprising also was the landing...i did it relatively fast as i was wary of stalling..as it turned out i couldve come in alot slower. i kept the glidepath at about 5 degrees and throttles back to about 1/8th and she came right in nicely..rolled on the grass with the front wheels then i cut the throttle..maybe shouldnt have...it came to a stop with full up elevator and then a very slow flip a the end ..no damage at all.

overall very pleased..if flies very well.

Cheers,

Tim.

zappedalaskan
12-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Very nice Tim, great looking bird! I am glad this one had better luck on it's maiden! Just wait til the little one starts walking! When my 2&1/2 year old started walking, my whole RC collection went :eek: LOL!
Take care,
Jay

Iturnright
12-14-2005, 05:18 AM
Thanks for reply, I managed to find a solution for myself. I'm going to keep the 600 geared motor, but use Li-Po batterys. In the end I figure it will just be easier, plus it is really the better way to go. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Iturnright
12-26-2005, 01:48 AM
Wow, it is a nice looking bird no doubt, but no instructions...:(
I could use a few general tips on how to put everything together correctly. So far I believe that the general setup is right, but I'm just not sure where to start, how to attach the rudder, and just what is what in the structural hardware.

watt_the?!
01-02-2006, 08:52 AM
hey mate- i can scan and send you the instructions if you want?

in the mean time ive finally got around to video-ing this baby fly....

a couple of tips....it doesnt like inverted much...and the rudder has very little authority....that might be why it is so large...its great on the ground..

heres a link to the video...

http://www.totalerc.com/videos/polkdr1lowrider23.wmv

about 7mb.

Tim.

WWI Ace
01-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Way too cool!! Great plane Watt!!! Steve

Jeff Boyd 2
01-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Nice model, Tim.

Can you post a spec list for it ? Span, weight, Electrics . .etc?

Iturnright
01-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Well, turns out there are instructions with it, just didn't see them before recently. Good thing I didn't throw out the box.

Luckily, it seems pretty straightforward, except I'm having a little trouble with the cabane struts, but other than that quite simple. I brought it out to the field as a mock-up preview version. I'm awaiting my battery and ESC, but once they arrive I'll be up and flying. With the 600 up front, I'm confident it will balance, and I saved about 70 bucks. The ailerons will need to have more throw I assume, since their motion is very, very, limited. Hopefully, I can fly it by the end of this week, and if not then, next week. I will be sure to give flight report when I do.:D

Also, congratulations on the video, it looks like quite a good flyer!

update: only waiting for the motor mount and gearbox to arrive now, then it is ready to go.

Iturnright
02-04-2006, 07:36 AM
First flight should be tomorrow/today, I saw one fly at the AZ electric fest last weekend and it looked pretty good, I asked some questions and they said that it was a pleasure to fly and really didn't need lots of throw. Also, quite amazingly, it balances without adding any weight. The 'old fashioned' 600 size brushed motor looks to be a good deal, correct balance, and preliminary power looks quite good. I'll try to post more details afterwards, can't wait!

watt_the?!
02-05-2006, 09:54 PM
so did you fly it ITR?

whats the news?...looking forward to your comments...and pics!

Tim

Iturnright
02-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly the DR1. On Saturday, when I normally fly, the field we fly in was full of water since they were irrigating or some such, and then I just didn't have very good luck on Sunday. Only one of the four planes I brought flew correctly. My foamie had a rudder issue which resulted in one of those 'just hoping to land' flights, and then when I had finally worked out everything, the strap on the radio bumped the throttle and it went straight into a chair:mad: . Then, my other new plane had trouble getting off the ground, so I walked all the way across the field to a baseball diamond and realized that it wasn't getting enough power to takeoff at all. Also, the expert flyer at the field has been busy building and didn't show up, so my plans for him to test fly didn't work out either. I've only been flying for about a year, and don't have any real experience with scale planes so I didn't want to risk a first flight on my own with such a nice plane. Well, maybe next time.

Iturnright
04-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Sorry I haven't reposted for so long, if anyone cares. I've been through a long series of troubles, usually filled with the phrase "maybe next weekend" In summary, it did manage to fly once, but only for about 15 seconds or so. Coming back around to the runway the pinion gear slipped and the plane lost power. An experienced pilot was flying it, and the landing wasn't terrible, but I think I seriously underestimated the strength of the homemade motor mount I used, and it fell off, while the plane kind of ran over it. Luckily no serious damage done.

It was a real beauty for the few seconds it was in the air though. So, I've got the pinion gear back on, and we are planning to test the crap out of it making sure there isn't any problem down at the field. So, you never know, perhaps this weekend.

Just a sidenote, the other plane has managed to get into the air, (mostly thanks to the runway we recently put in) although being all stock power equipment it's performance is rather poor.

WWI Ace
04-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Glad to hear that you saved the plane!!! We all know that mistakes happen. That's how we learn. So are you still happy with the plane? Was the quality of it worth the money? I'd still like to have one even if the rudder is way too big for scale!!! Guess I could always build a new, smaller rudder. I use outrunner motors most of the time now because I too had gear problems once. With outrunners, no gears, no problem!! Please let me know more about planes build quality. Happy flying!!! Steve.

Iturnright
04-29-2006, 02:29 AM
The quality of the consruction is very good, details very nice as well. For example, the wings' trailing edge includes the small dips and ridges, simulating the fabric covered appearence of the real thing. Even the landing gear strut with the 'fourth wing' looks very scale and has the same trailing edge as the other wings.

The only thing I've really had any trouble with is the wheel collers. They aren't really big enough, and when glued, (without sliding onto the axle as I think they are supposed to) they come off rather easily. Just taxiing they fell off. Also the cowl is prone to cracking, but its only a nuisance.

The mount wasn't very accomadating unless you used an undersize tin can motor. I ended up still using a tin can brushed motor, but a 600 size one rather of the ludicrous suggestion of a 400 size brushed. Putting a stick mount on probably wouldn't be too hard, but I just decided to go a different way to save money and have the plane balance correctly.

For the short time it was in the air it was a great sight though.:D

watt_the?!
04-29-2006, 10:13 AM
great to hear from you ITR!!!..

this is an excellent plane...well worth the money IMO. The only tricky bit is fitting the cabane struts to the top wing as you need to get a screwdriver in between the wings.

i love it..one of the best DR1s out there- kit or ARF.

Tim

watt_the?!
04-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Sorry I haven't reposted for so long, if anyone cares.

absolutely we do..and have been waiting for your comments/results.

please keep us up to date!

Tim

Iturnright
05-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Alright, good news!

I had two good flights on the DR 1:D

Mine is very scale flying, it doesn't have excessive power, but from what I've heard, and what I've seen from gaming models of DR 1's it is about right. It has scale stall characteristics also, I'll have to turn down ailerons and add more rudder.

Its great just to see it cruise around though.

Time to add some details I think:cool:

scalercflyer
05-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Excellent news ITR! :) :cool: Glad to hear you have flown her! Keep us informed. BTW, what's next? Another WWI model I trust. ;) Martin

Iturnright
05-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, now that you suggest it, I suppose the way to get the largest scale plane at the least cost is to go with WW1 Airplanes. Not to mention they aren't as hard to fit into sedans as long winged or long fuselage aircraft, and they are just fun to cruise around the sky.:cool:

So even though it would probably be a long time before I could buy another airplane, I might as well ask for ideas for a next plane. :)

In that case, I'm looking for something 1/8th scale, either side, 1917-1918, to fit with the Dr 1. Suggestions?

As for the Dr. 1, my goal is to put some scale machine guns on it, then find an aerial video system to shoot some footage looking forward down the guns. Now that would be sweet!:D

I've got a bit of a tight budget, but if I can scrounge up enough and get everything set up, I'd love to post some AV's on the web.:)

watt_the?!
05-09-2006, 01:27 AM
try ok models in Japan. They have a neiuport and others to go with the dr1.

Tim

WWI Ace
05-09-2006, 02:34 AM
www.aerodromerc.com (http://www.aerodromerc.com) has some great WWI planes too!!! Steve.

Iturnright
05-09-2006, 05:40 AM
Wow!

Thanks for the site WW1 Ace! That will be a great help looking for another airplane.:D

WWI Ace
05-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey, www.manzanolaser.com (http://www.manzanolaser.com) is another good site. If you want to build your next plane that is. Steve.

walterk
05-20-2006, 11:47 PM
I haven't been at the site for a while but was glad to hear that someone else has the Polk's DR-1. I am curious to know why you decided to recover the plane? What did you do to lighten it and what motor did you finally decide on using? I am not sure if I am going to make it electric or a 30 four stroke. Sounds like it flies well.

Walt

watt_the?!
05-20-2006, 11:50 PM
it flies very well indeed..no problems there.

i recovered it so i could lighten the rear to avoid adding too much lead up the front.

also, i wasnt fond of the ''covering'' hinges, so wanted to re-hinge.

i ended up going for the axi 2820-10 and use about 30A or so max.

Tim

walterk
05-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Tim

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I may change the color on mine. There are too many red DR-1 models around. I am thinking of using an Axi 2826-12 in mine. I don't know how anyone could fly this plane with a speed 400.

Walt

scalercflyer
05-22-2006, 02:40 AM
How refreshing!!!! :D :D Someone else who feels the same way I do about red triplanes! :) Walt if you need any help with a camo scheme, just ask!!! Martin

WWI Ace
05-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Ah ha!!! See even Marty approves of this plane now!!! As long as it isn't red!!! Steve

walterk
05-26-2006, 01:37 AM
Martin

Thanks I am always looking for references. I am not in a hurry to assemble the DR1 so I have time to decide on an alternative color scheme.
Walt

Iturnright
05-29-2006, 04:32 AM
I've got a video of one of my Dr 1 flights, but I'm having some trouble getting it from the camera to the computer, so it might take a while before I get it up. I didn't do anything spectacular, but that was one of my most 'comfortable' flights. Hopefully it will be uploaded in a week or two.

WWI Ace
05-29-2006, 07:45 PM
So it flew well? Did the plane show any bad habits on either the air or the ground. Anything to watch for that could become a problem? Can't wait to see the video!!!! Steve.

Iturnright
05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, it has plenty of torque with the 12x7 prop I have on it now, so on takeoff it needs to build up speed and only lift off when well ready. Taking off too soon results in a hard roll to left which is hard to counter without crashing.

Also, (similar to what I've heard and seen of the full size) stalls are not something you want to get into. It sort of locks into a bad attitude, (like nose up) and then falls and torques left. Its not too pleasant.

Therefore, its best to soften up the controls with a good amount of expo, especially the elevator and ailerons. The ailerons are actually quite effective banking the plane, contrary to what some might think.

Once you have everything set up though, and with settings that you like, it looks great and is a joy to fly. :cool:

WWI Ace
05-30-2006, 11:32 PM
What about landings? Are they fast or slow? Does it try to flip over like the other DR1's I've flown? Steve.

watt_the?!
05-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Steve, have you seen my video?

they land great!

a pleasure to fly.

WWI Ace
06-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah I saw your video. Looked easy enough for a professional pilot!!!! Steve.

watt_the?!
06-01-2006, 09:48 PM
dunno about a pro pilot...i dont think i ever get to a ''mastered'' stage with any of my planes as i dont get to fly much, and prefer to fly a number of different types rather than the same one over and over.

fwiw i was amazed at how unresponsive the massive rudder is in the air, but great on the ground, even that being said, it still helped nicely in stall spins.

it (the plane) didnt like being upside down much though. I would put in extra down elevator and only do inverted stuff at higher speeds and heights.

WWI Ace
06-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Hey Watt. What size servos did you use in this plane? Were they like Hitec HS-55's or what? Thanks, Steve.

watt_the?!
06-03-2006, 02:49 AM
hs56.

CraigO
06-09-2006, 07:56 AM
it would appear that the handling characteristics of DR1's vary heaps.
the one i designed levitates off the ground, doesnt have a nasty stall infact it is a really useful manouvre if you are in a dog fight. throttle back, pullup, stall and at the top of the stall throttle up to add a torque roll into a spin. the Rudder was really really effective.
landings can be done at walking pace and i was usng a speed 500 BBVZ with a 2.8:1 box turning a 12x6 off 8 cells and it was a real blast. the total weight of the model ready to fly was only 42oz. i changed it over to a 2820/10 with an 11/7 prop and a 3S lipo so i lost a bit of weight and now it unbelievable, and totally unscale like, and the rudder is effective enough to knife edge.

cheers

Craig

WWI Ace
07-13-2006, 02:00 AM
Okay guys here is mine. I have a Eflite Power 25 outrunner, 40amp Eflite ESC, 2 TP 1320mah lipolys parallelled, 12x6 APC prop, 4 S75 servos, and a AR6000 rx. Yes, I have this plane set up on my Spektrum DX6 radio and have had no problems with glitches or range. I had to put 3.25ozs. of lead in the nose for balance. It takes off with authority in about 6-8ft. and climbs like a monkey!!!! I put the bottom hatch and the cowl on with rare earth magnets. That way if I nose over the cowl just pops loose and doesn't break. I'm guessing that all up weight is about 49ozs. I've only flown it about 4 times so far but it flies great!!! It lands fairly easily for a tripe. The face on the front is cut from black Monocote trim. Steve.

watt_the?!
07-13-2006, 02:03 AM
i never get tired of dr1s....

this one is particularly nice to look at.

WWI Ace
07-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Thanks Watt!!! I used the information from you guys to decide whether or not to even buy it. Now I'm glad I did. Even though it's sport scale it sure breaks up the sea of 3D planes owned by the guys I fly with. And when people see a line up of planes my red tripe seems to draw the most attention. Guess everybody loves a triplane!!!! Steve.

tommytorino
07-25-2006, 03:54 AM
I was going to wait for the NEAT fair ,to save a couple of bucks> but I think Im going to take the plunge before now!

Looks great!

Tommy D

vision
08-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Here are a couple photos of my Polk's Hobbies DR-I that I stripped and recoverd to look like the tripe at the EAA Museum in Osh Gosh, WI. I love the way it flies although I need to be careful with the rudder control on our blacktop runway!

PJS 3D 900
MDrive 36amp ESC
Poly RC 2150mAh 3s battery pack

I always say, "The only thing prettier in the air than a biplane, it a triplane!"

Jerry

WWI Ace
08-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Hey vision that looks good!!! What kind of flight times do you get with that setup? Steve.:D

vision
08-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Hi WWI Ace,
I get up to 15 minutes flying time with my tripe per charge. Of course, this depends on the type of flight that I have...scale or ripping around!
Jerry

WWI Ace
08-28-2006, 11:20 PM
I have alot of fun with mine. Caught a bad crosswind on takeoff once and nosed it in from about 5 feet. Cracked the cowl (which I had put on with rare earth magnets just in case!!!) and pulled the motor mount loose. No other damage. Tough airplane!!! By the way do you use those stupid little washers to hold the wheels on? Steve.

vision
08-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Steve,

Yup! I used the little washers and a little bit o' silver solder. WHAT A PAIN!!! The wheels have stayed on...so far, so good!

Jerry

TerryE
09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Well, after finding and reading this thread I am psyched about getting a DR-1 myself.

For those of you out there flying with a brushed 600 size motor / gearbox and NiMH batteries:

What gearbox / gear ratio did you use?
What size batteries?
How much nose weight did you add?

I really cannot afford b/l at this stage, so if I'm gonna fly ...

Thanks a lot

Terry

alienx
09-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Nice looking birds! My dad would like to build a plane like this, but a few people told him that they are hardwer to fly (than a single-wing I guess). Is there any truth to this?? Why?

TerryE
09-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Alien;

I have heard they are harder because there is so much weight in the nose, and it id so short that the plane tends to nose over on landing....

alienx
09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks. If that is the case, I think every plane I buy from now on is going to have more than one wing. I can never get enough nose weight to balance a plane!!!

WWI Ace
09-22-2006, 11:26 PM
alienx, the triplane needs alot of attention when they're on the ground. Takeoffs and landings require both practice and luck. Basically use a little right rudder and up elevator to keep it straight on the takeoff roll. Let her get up some speed, ease off the elevator and she's in the air!!! To land keep a little throttle on, I try to just barely flare if at all, then as soon as she's on the ground I cut the throttle and hold up elevator while I work the rudder to keep it straight till it stops rolling. Hopefully it doesn't flip over but sometimes it does. It's a tough plane though and on a grass field there is no damage. In the air, as long as you don't get slow enough to stall (which with mine is almost no throttle at all) she is a real *****cat!!! One of the best flying planes I've ever flown!! And it looks great in the air. Everyone that sees mine flying stops to watch. Steve.

alienx
09-23-2006, 01:07 AM
alienx, the triplane needs alot of attention when they're on the ground. Takeoffs and landings require both practice and luck. Basically use a little right rudder and up elevator to keep it straight on the takeoff roll. Let her get up some speed, ease off the elevator and she's in the air!!! To land keep a little throttle on, I try to just barely flare if at all, then as soon as she's on the ground I cut the throttle and hold up elevator while I work the rudder to keep it straight till it stops rolling. Hopefully it doesn't flip over but sometimes it does. It's a tough plane though and on a grass field there is no damage. In the air, as long as you don't get slow enough to stall (which with mine is almost no throttle at all) she is a real *****cat!!! One of the best flying planes I've ever flown!! And it looks great in the air. Everyone that sees mine flying stops to watch. Steve.

OK, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out why it would be harder to fly. I guess it's harder to start and stop flying!!

My dad used to build these when I was a kid and we're both getting into the RC part of the hobby now, so I think he will have a tough time avoiding this one. The ones in this thread are beauties!

I actually like the WWII planes myself, but I saw a guy fly a very inexpensive GWS tiger moth a little over a week ago, and I think that might be my next project. It was very nice to see fly.

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy

WWI Ace
09-23-2006, 03:24 AM
alienx the GWS Tiger Moth would be a great biplane to start with. It's a very forgiving little bipe. Sometimes WWI planes are not so forgiving. But two and three wings look great in the air. And as long as you've flown an aileron plane before WWI birds aren't really hard, just different. Steve.

Iturnright
09-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Well, Dr. 1's do take some work on takeoff and landing, and I'd say definetely benefit from extra power. With my Dr1, I don't have an excessive amount of power, and a large propeller, so torque is a big factor, just like the real thing.

Of course, with a different motor and smaller propeller, the plane might do a little better, but at the moment, it flies quite realistically, if not wonderfully, and I don't quite have the money to buy an entirely new setup for it.

Overall, it can be a challenging aircraft to fly, but it certainly has that 'cool' factor around it.

chaz345
09-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Did someone say DR1's like extra power? Maybe like this one?
www.visionhobbies.com/files/20144000.wmv

WWI Ace
09-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Great video!!! That flies like mine does with the Eflite Power 25 outrunner on it. I kinda like the extra power. That way I can get out of trouble if I need to. It really is a good flying plane and it's built well too!! Steve

scalercflyer
09-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Look at the size of that rudder!:eek: It's WAY TOO BIG! :eek: Anthony Fokker is turning over in his grave! Or maybe the designer was sniffing to much CA! Martin

Iturnright
09-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Well, mine could use a bit more power, although I don't quite think vertical is nessesary.:D

The main thing IMHO is not to have too little power, as this plane has some really nasty stalls if you can't get out of them fast enough. On the plus side, I've found this plane to be surprisingly durable.:rolleyes: Two weeks ago I was coming in for a landing and caught a glitch that nosedived it right into the hard dirt runway from about 20ft. The only damage was a strut that had already broken before, and one of the strut holders popped out, but other than that nothing!

Speaking of which, is there anywhere I can purchase replacement struts? One snapped and now even small impacts/bounces causes it to break again. I can probably fashion my own, but it would take some time and hardly look as good.

WWI Ace
10-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Try sending a email to Polks. They seem like really good people!!! Steve.

huskyhumper
10-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Well Ive had my dr1 for a year now love it and its a show stopper. I used a brushless 600 mega motor 22-20-3e. has 550 watts to a 9.5 4.5 graupner prop and a phoenix 80 amp esc mounted to firewall and 2 thunderpower 2100s 3 cells inside underneath behind landing gear. the first landing bent the cheap wire landing gear had to make new ones from heavyer music wire. that was hard. then beefed up landing mounts which broke . I put on 3 inch fokker wheels but it still likes to trip in tall grass and I have busted the rudder hinges twice. smooth grass is best. I added 7 oz of lead to either side of engine mounts (gas mount) and added a spring steel tail skid as the one it comes with is too short and rudder drags on the ground. also watch for anhedral in bottom wing opposite of di hedral. outboard struts were to long. Mine is way over powered and I love it. does huge inside or outside loops and endless knife edge. I also adde the dx 6 2.4 ghz spectrum radio and havent been hit yet screw 72 mhz forever!! also add wires criss crossed to cabane struts or the top wing will flex back and forth. there is no way to lighten the tail just have to make up for lost wheight form the .25 glow and tank of nitro. I talke to polk hobbies and they said I needed a geard brushed 400 and a 600 mah nicad and I ll get a full six min out of it! yay but with the recomended setup it still needed 12 oz of lead in the nose. Im so brushless and lipo now I had to squak at his suggestion. Defintly a brushless 600 and heavy lipo plane. after the modifications its my fav plane and hits about 70 mph! ask me anything about it if you need Todd the fokker

huskyhumper
10-05-2006, 03:50 AM
make you own strut out of balsa but used 1/8 ply wood and just trace the old one and wrap it with black econcoat only took and hour for both! dig in its easy. before you drill the holes assemble the wings mount them and make sure space is even all the way across the wing and add smidge of diheadral to bottom wing the mark new holes and drill them out of the plane. youll be glad you did. more pwer lad more power!!! brushless 600!

huskyhumper
10-05-2006, 03:55 AM
its a reall mother fokker to land power on and give full up when wheels touch down around 25 mph not a good first plane!

tommytorino
10-05-2006, 04:54 AM
there is no way to lighten the tail just have to make up for lost wheight form the .25 glow and tank of nitro.

Really Now... you sure about that??

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/6/8/0/9/a385988-140-P1010792.JPG

I do agree with the DX6 comment. Rock solid!

Tommy D

Punky3025
06-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for a great thread. I have just got my Polks Dr1.

I am using a .30 4 stroke in her. I have noticed that the downward movement of the aerolons is restricted. I cannot get the required 6 mm of movement.

Do the aerolons sit flush with the wing in their neutral position or slightly upwards ?

Advice please

watt_the?!
06-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for a great thread. I have just got my Polks Dr1.

I am using a .30 4 stroke in her. I have noticed that the downward movement of the aerolons is restricted. I cannot get the required 6 mm of movement.

Do the aerolons sit flush with the wing in their neutral position or slightly upwards ?

Advice please

my advice to everyone is to remove all covering, remove as much weight as possible at the front, remove the aileron and other surfaces' leading edges and replace with your own rounded edges then remount with real hinges- not just covering.

Then you get full range, smooth movement- more room to move for balancing, wrinkle free covering and can check the ARF joinery.

Big job for some i guess...but well worth it as she IS a beauty...flies great...i was surprised as to the lack of rudder authority in the air though considering the size of it (the rudder)...maybe i dont have enough throw..

Tim

Punky3025
06-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. My aerolons only move dow to the point where the top edge of the aerolon in level with the bottom edge of the wing. This is really very little .

Secondly I noticed when I tested my engine that the rudder tends to sorta "flap". Is there a way to stiffen this up ?

It is a mission to get models to South Africa so I really dont want to mess this one up due to poor setup.

walterk
06-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I carefuly cut the covering with an exacto knife and rehinged the ailerons with CA type hinges. This allows the required movement in the up and down directions. I did not have a problem with the rudder.
Walt

Punky3025
06-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks Walt appreciate the input

Punky3025
09-30-2010, 08:46 PM
After a long time on the shelf I have pulled this plane out and gone electric.
I put in a Eflite 25.

Can anyone please tell me what the C of G is please. I have long since lost the manual.

Regards

Punky

scalercflyer
09-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Will look tonight and PM you Marty

walterk
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
The CG for the Polks DR-1 is 1 1/4" from the front edge of the center wing . I have the manual if you need any other info let me know.

Walt

WWI Ace
10-02-2010, 08:07 PM
They fly great with the Eflite 25 in them. That's what I use.