PDA

View Full Version : Dare Hobby Fokker DVII

watt_the?!
09-29-2005, 11:44 PM
thought id post the pics of my last flight of this plane....a real hotrod!

scalercflyer
09-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Oh No!! Not another red biplane!!!!??? :eek: Doesn't anyone do any research anymore? There are other colors you know! Just kidding. :D Nice job! How's it fly/land? Martin

watt_the?!
09-30-2005, 01:04 AM
yes but its not a red triplane!

and has candy stripes on the tail too.

i had to get something red...my tripes are blue and black..

:D

WWI Ace
09-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Okay children, stop fighting!!!!

scalercflyer
09-30-2005, 02:00 AM
I'll bet you have a red airplane somewhere WWI Ace!!! :D BTW, are your little guys interested in RC? Martin

WWI Ace
09-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Okay scalercflyer you got me!! I have a red triplane!!! But it has a black cowl with the Werner Voss eyes and mustache on it!!! My oldest boy is 15. All he worries about are girls and wrestling, although I did teach him to fly a couple of years ago. My middle one is 13. He has a B2 looking wing and we fly occasionally. My youngest is 7. He wants to fly. We play on the simulator some. He likes to help me "build". Since he isn't completely tainted by girls and video games he's my only hope!! He knows about the difference between biplanes and triplanes. He even knows some of the triplane aces names by the colors of their planes. They are all good boys they just all have different interests. I have one of those little Wattage Micro Flyers laying around. I'll probably give it to him so he'll have something to "take to the field." I'd have alot more money for planes if it weren't for all these kids!! Oh well, I guess now that I think about it, they're worth it!! OOPS!! Gotta go to bed. Five in the morning comes early!! I thought when I became a CNC machinist I would work "normal" hours. The hours right now are just like when I was a Combat Engineer in the Army!!!!

watt_the?!
09-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Okay scalercflyer you got me!! I have a red triplane....

classic.:rolleyes:

even i dont have a red triplane.

:D

my boy is nuts about planes, like a walking aircraft recognition scanner...but not interested in RC flying...

timocharis
09-30-2005, 04:42 AM
I thought about building one of those. What motor did you use?

Dave

watt_the?!
09-30-2005, 07:13 AM
hi Dave,

i used the mpjet combo from icare. cant remamber which one. its got a high gear ratio and pulls max 12A at WOT on the 13 inch prop.

flies great. it is aileron converted though.

tim.

timocharis
09-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks, Tim! I had considered something a little more modest...

Dave

watt_the?!
09-30-2005, 10:00 PM
np. my friend has one too and flies it on geared sp 400 and nimh. also flies great.

tim.

WWI Ace
09-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Man!! You guys need to quit being so harsh about my red triplane!! Your going to give me some sort of complex!!!

scalercflyer
10-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Real men have different colored DRIs!:D Guys, let me tell you a little about myself. I am 54 years old with 4 children (3 Boys and a Girl). 2 of my boys are married and 1 is expecting their first child (First Grand Baby!):D . Their ages are: 24, 23, 22, and 19. I have raisied them all the same (lotsa love). Funny, only one showed a mild interest in RC. I am getting to the point in my life where I now have more time to devote to this hobby. I spent most of my working life as an automobile technician (Mechanic). I have absolutely no interest in cars other than to maintain my own. Kinda funny Huh? I now run a Techline for a major aftermarket automotive parts supplier. My first love is WWI aviation. I got bit with the WWI bug when I was in high school and never lost it. My "other" hobby is collecting reference material about first WWI aviation and doing some research (The Red Baron is my favorite subject). Hope some of you will share a little bit about yourselves. It's great to have new Friends. I appreciate all of you. All the Best, Martin. PS, Big and small I fly them all. How about you?

turnwaldw
10-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Ive been looking at the dare planes for awhile how do they go together and how hard is it to get the radio gear in one of thous small birds most of my ww1 stuff is 1/4 scale. But I want something to fly at the house in the back field area.
Dave

watt_the?!
10-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi Dave,

the planes go together well, but you need to adjust your build style knowing that all the gauges are very small and therefore subject to bending. not as bad as the guillows type models, but extra care is needed to get things squared., and free of warping. for instance it isnt too hard to warp the wings whilst covering.

theres plenty of space in the fuse for radio gear in fact...be sure to select your setup prior to building though, so you can make up the mount and gear platforms etc.

Tim.

ps i had a 1/5th scale eindekker and would rate these little babies very highly in a lot of ways.

Templars
02-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Is that music from Chariots of Fire? I think it might be if not maybe Galipoli. So how well does the Dare DVII fly? Would you say it would be ill advised as a first 4 channel? Again, I love the music choices. I think another good choice for your next video would be the theme song from Clockwork Orange.

watt_the?!
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
what music?...at the dare site?...gallipoli.

watt_the?!
02-08-2006, 10:09 AM
So how well does the Dare DVII fly? Would you say it would be ill advised as a first 4 channel? .

ummm, sorry...not a chance. it is quite twitchy and very light in the wind.

go for something like the gws tiger moth first..

it flies really well, but at times takes me by surprise with a wind hit. It also has some interesting flight characteristics... id say it is a plane that is nice to fly when you are proficient at 4 channel and can respect each individual planes flight envelope and keep it in that.

Cheers,

Tim

Templars
02-09-2006, 08:29 AM
I saw the video here that you posted as well as the one with Orf and Wagner in it. Carmina Burana was the Orf piece and we all should know Ride of the Valkyries. You should be impressed that a yank could place music from a 1981 Australian war movie. I see many have discussed how goofy they think it sounds but I find it strangely interesting and at the very least unique. I believe the song listed on the video is background music for the footrace.

On another subject, how much better or worse is the Dare Fokker DR1 or DVIII. You seem to fly the DR1 very well? THanks!

Craig

watt_the?!
02-09-2006, 09:00 AM
I saw the video here that you posted as well as the one with Orf and Wagner in it. Carmina Burana was the Orf piece and we all should know Ride of the Valkyries. You should be impressed that a yank could place music from a 1981 Australian war movie. I see many have discussed how goofy they think it sounds but I find it strangely interesting and at the very least unique. I believe the song listed on the video is background music for the footrace.

On another subject, how much better or worse is the Dare Fokker DR1 or DVIII. You seem to fly the DR1 very well? THanks!

Craig

Wow i am impressed, although that movie is a must see no matter where you are from...probably the one that put Mel Gibson really on the map.

the music is eerily used at both the start and end of the movie...in the footrace, and as Gibson runs a message (gauntlet) to the Officers that their troops are machine gun fodder...i think..

thanks for the comments on the dr1. the dvii is defintely easier to fly than the dr1- i think it is to do with the longer rudder coupling.

however the dr1 is far more maneuvrable. If you love scale, and have to have one of them, go for the dvii. keep in mind that the kits come as RET only...so if you want aileron, you have to make them yourself.

Tim.

Crashalott
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
thought id post the pics of my last flight of this plane....a real hotrod!

Real nice looking plane.

Here is mine, a scratch built out of Elmers Foam Board from Walmart.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/Olddog1/th_Foker009.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/Olddog1/Foker009.jpg)

She has full house with a Brushless outrunner and is a real blast to fly.:)

Virgil Kee
06-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Here is mine, a scratch built out of Elmers Foam Board from Walmart.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/Olddog1/th_Foker009.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/Olddog1/Foker009.jpg)

So, Crashalott, how'd you make an airfoil? Undercambered, using the series-of-foldlines-on-the-underside method? (As shown in the March, 2006 issue of Backyard Flyer - the "WEDGY", as well as the May issue, same mag, on Bob Aberle's "THE FIRST STEP"?)

I'm curious - the white backgrounds of the upper wing insignias look FLAT! True? And it flies? If so, what are the wing incidences, upper and lower?
Also, any DOWN and RIGHT thrust?

Nice looking plane ---- Share your secrets! :D

Virg.

Crashalott
06-15-2006, 12:21 PM
So, Crashalott, how'd you make an airfoil? Undercambered, using the series-of-foldlines-on-the-underside method? (As shown in the March, 2006 issue of Backyard Flyer - the "WEDGY", as well as the May issue, same mag, on Bob Aberle's "THE FIRST STEP"?)

I'm curious - the white backgrounds of the upper wing insignias look FLAT! True? And it flies? If so, what are the wing incidences, upper and lower?
Also, any DOWN and RIGHT thrust?

Nice looking plane ---- Share your secrets! :D

Virg.

No airfoil on this one- flat wings braced with 3/16 dowel.
I have used the folded wing method on several planes but not this one.
Don't know what the wing incidences are, i just used what was on the plans and it flys great. I have all four ailerons hooked up and it rolls very nice and loops etc. I fly in a small area surrounded by jackpine trees.
About 1 deg. right and one down thrust.

FlyingMonkey
09-23-2007, 11:58 PM
where are the plans?