PDA

View Full Version : Trex 450S CF w/ DX6 or DX7?

Mike_117
01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Will the DX6 be a good Tx for the 450?

Does it make a huge difference in controllable flight versus the DX7?

Also, I liked the features and look of the 450S with CF over the 450XL I was about to buy.. both are eCCPM.... any thoughts.

I'm a newb to Trex, just played with the Blades.. (which is why I like the spektrum)

Thanks,

Mike

PilotDane
01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, the DX6 will fly the 450, tons of people are doing it. The manual for the 450SA is even written for the DX6.

A couple months ago I was having to make the same choice you are going through and I ended up getting the DX7. I had several people say that the DX6 worked great but they traded up as they became better pilots and wanted more control over their pitch and throttle curves. Now that I've had the DX7 for a couple months I really like it and all of it's adjustments. The programming in the radio (exponential, rate, travel limit, 5 point curves) allow you to tone down the TRex to make it easier to learn the basics.

I don't think you can go wrong with either radio but if you have the money I would go for the DX7. Some stores will remove the servos that come packaged with the DX7 (they are too big for the TRex) and lower the price.

Mike_117
01-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm going to stick with the DX6 for now.. The DX7 is $150 more and then you have to buy servos.. and good ones seem to total up to about another $150.. so I'll save the extra $300 for now and just learn this thing.. Maybe I'll update later when the DX7 comes out without the servos for a lower price...:)

KRAKERJAK
01-17-2007, 12:18 AM
PILOTDANE
Hi
Would you post Tx settings that you are using on your DX7 for the Trex, I am waiting for the LHS to get some more 450S kits so that I can get started. I already have the Sektrom Dx7, flown it may times in Aero mode and have flown choppers about 30 years ago. Need to get away to a good start and programming the Tx with proven settings will be a big help

Thanks

Doug

PilotDane
01-17-2007, 01:09 AM
I have a TRex 450 SA with Hitec HS65mg servos on the head and a Futaba 401 gyro and 9650 digital servo on the tail. I am running the Align 3550kv 430L motor with 11 tooth pinion and the 35amp ESC. I have the gyro plugged into the rudder channel and the gyro gain is on the gear channel.

Here are some of my DX7 settings:
REVERSING
ch 1:normal
ch 2:reversed
ch 3:normal
ch 4:reversed
ch 5:normal
ch 6: normal

NO subtrims (especially no sub-trim on the rudder, subtrim on the rudder screws-up the 401)

All travels are at 100%.

CCPM mixing is 3 servo 120 degree.

SWASH MIXING
aile: -60
elev: -60
pit: -60

NO revo mixing

gyro sens
0: 70%
1: 40%

all program mixes: inhibit
---------------------------------
Don't flame me for the lack of a symetrical pitch/throttle profile for 3D. All of the program features below are good for starting from the very beginning and learning basics like how to hover and orientation. These profiles are totally useless for 3D.

The throttle and pitch curves create a big fat sweet spot for hovering and upright flight while keeping a high headspeed for good tailholding and cool ESC. There is no negative pitch to help prevent power driving the helo into the ground if you panic and chop the throttle. Hovering is right about mid stick. The throttle and pitch curves are the same for all modes to prevent a crash if you accidently hit the flight mode switch.

D/R & EXP (same for rudd, aile, elev)
Exp: 45%
D/R: 75%

THROTTLE CURVE (same for normal, ST-1, ST-2)
L: 0
1: 85%
2: 90%
3: 95%
H: 100%

PITCH CURVE (same for normal, ST-1, ST-2)
EXP: on
L: 50% (which is 0 pitch physically on my Rex)
1: inhibit
2: 70%
3: inhibit
H: 95%
------
With the above curves I have never needed the upper 1/3 of the throttle stick movement so you could flatten out the pitch curve even more to make holding altitude even easier.

KRAKERJAK
01-17-2007, 01:22 AM
PILOTDANE
Thanks for the quick and informative reply.
I will program the TX now based on your settings and link the Tx to my G3.5 sim then use the Heli-Max axe cp heli as the model to get started.
I read somwhere that is the nearest model to the Trex in the G3 sim
Doug

flstf13
02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
PILOTDANE
Thanks for the quick and informative reply.
I will program the TX now based on your settings and link the Tx to my G3.5 sim then use the Heli-Max axe cp heli as the model to get started.
I read somwhere that is the nearest model to the Trex in the G3 sim
Doug

If you go to heli-freaks.com and look at the flight simulator posts, you will see t-rex 450 and 600 downloads for your G3.5...I downloaded them and they are awesome. I had to do a little tweaking to the gyro on the 600, but it's now the best flying heli on G3(my opinion)!:cool: