PDA

View Full Version : Electrifly in Australia

DamianWalker
01-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Does anyone in Australia know if you can get either the Fokker D.VII or the SE5a kits here in Australia? My LHS rang the Australian distributor Dawn Trading and they didn't seem to know anything about them.:(

I may just have to order one directly from the US.

OzSloper
02-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Apparently not yet Damain. Just like a lot of the planes our American buddies talk about on this forum, we can't get them easily unless you're willing to order from overseas and take the chance of getting hit with import tax.
cheers,
Oz

DamianWalker
02-10-2007, 01:43 AM
The more I investigate what models we can and can't get here in Oz the more confused I get.

Anyway, I may put up a thread to see if anyone in Australia is interested in doing a group buy from the US for these Electrifly models.

kaindub
02-10-2007, 05:45 AM
For any of my Oz friends (Im in Sydney) here is my experince inporting stuff to Oz from US.
1) Wherever you can use US post. It's a great service. Use their Global Express mail (EMS).
Very reasonable price and you get your item at your door in a few days (really).
However their is a size limit. The package has to be less than 42 inches long and maximum length and girth has to be less than 79 inches. (Some kits might exceed this figure)
You will be charged GST and an import tax ONLY if the posted items are more than $1000 in value. This does not apply if you use a courier/freight/Fedex/UPS etc.
2) Use Fedex/UPS etc
Very expensive since they work on the assumption that you want it yesterday.
You will be charged GST and inport duties on any shipment over $250.
The freight agent will try to contact you to arrange payment of duties so make sure the sender clearly puts a contact phone number on the documentation, though if they can't contact you by phone they will mail you.
You can pay these charges by credit card to the freight company. No use in trying to get out of this - they are acting as agents for customs. No payment no goods.
Also don't try to get the sender to underestimate the value. I had a guitar shipped and they went on the internet to check the value. Remember that they will look at the internet which generally has retail prices. If they think you are scamming them then they will provide their own valuation based on THEIR research.

Deal with a reputable seller and it will all be good.

kevo
02-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Damien - My LHS in Tassie has had the SE5a on order for me from Dawn Trading since last November. They have been keeping on their backs about it and the latest news I was given is they should have some arriving at the end of Feb.
Pathetic service by Dawn. If I'd known I would have ordered from the US but I like to support the LHS as much as possible.
Its time Great Planes/Electrify found themselves a better distributor over here.

Mighty Wings Australia
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm a retailer in Aus, and I have a few of each on order, and was told by my rep that I would see my electrifly ww1 warbirds in the next couple weeks,
Hope this helps,
regards
Alexis

kevo
04-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Does anyone know where I can get the Rimfire motor and prop adaptor in Oz or overseas if a decent price. Plus I need a new radiator for the plane and I haven't even flown it yet.:(

I put a new Ultrafly Frio 12 motor in it as I had it doing nothing at the time. Made a ply mount for it and put the recommended (by ultrafly) 9 x 4.5 prop on.
Decided to test the install today and get it ready to fly.
Ran up the motor slowly and only got to 3/4 throttle when the motor shaft broke and sent the prop bouncing around the workshop:eek:
In the process it shattered the radiator cowl:mad:

Any help would be appreciated.

Mighty Wings Australia
04-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Dawn have brought in the Rimfire series of outrunners, they had them on their stand at toyfare, I'll be carrying some of them and I'm sure most Hobby shops have access to Dawn product, ask your local one he should be able to help, otherwise drop me a line of the group and I'll see what I can do.
Regards
Alexis

Fly In
Shop 4 Von doussa mall
Mt Barker
S.A

kevo
04-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks Alexis, I went to my LHS today and they phoned Dawn with the details of the motor and the part no. for the cowl. As usual they didn't seem to know what we were talking about and just gave their usual answer of 'someone will get back to you'. I'm not holding my breath. My LHS have had this problem with Dawn a lot.

Kevin

kevo
05-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Well the story of supply from Dawn gets worse.
3 weeks ago they told my LHS they had the motor in stock and would do a special order to get me the cowl.
Still waiting, the LHS phoned them today and was told they don't have anything and it is on backorder!!!
No wonder people just order from overseas.
Time for some emails to Greatplanes I think to let them know of their distributors poxy service. Don't know if it will do any good, can only try.
Sick of waiting.