PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Bee Conversion

threetruck
01-18-2007, 07:12 AM
I am new to e-flight and new to this forum so I will say in advance - you all have a great thing going here. Very impressive.

I have a 40" Lazy Bee that's been hanging in the garage for many years. I've decided to take it down and try to convert it to electric. I've pulled off the OS .15 that was on it, removed the tank, battery & receiver. All that's left is the 3 Futaba S3003 servo's and wiring. With the plane gutted, it weighs just under 1-1/2#.

I've got some experience flying - somewhere between beginner and intermediate in terms of ability. Can I get some direction on retrofitting at this point? I don't want a particularly hot airplane, just a middle of the road flyer to get started flying again.

Thank you in advance,

Ted
Hillsboro, Oregon

Elfwreck
01-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey Ted,
I've seen Bees flown with everything from speeed 400s on up to 500watt drives. In your case with those full sized servos I wouldn't go with the S400 or even 540 sized "can" motors, you wouldn't Bee happy.

I think the least power system I'd suggest would be a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motor, 3:1 gear box (Master Airscrew, Great Planes, or MPI 3.3:1 planetary), APC 11-7 E prop and either ten big round cells or 3s LiPos.
Nicely over powered for me (you can always throttle back) was a Jeti Phasor 30-3, 3s LiPos and 11-7 prop. Not vertical preformance, but huge loops, lots of rolls and nice inverted. Good long flights too if you go easy on the throttle and just cruise.

In the best of all possible worlds I'd look for about 350 watts in, but that's just me.
RobII

threetruck
01-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Rob. That's the kind of advice that I needed. I'm not well versed in all of the lingo yet but this is a good starting point for me.

Thanks again,

Ted
Hillsboro

phil007
01-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Ted,

You can do a search on google video or uTube.com to see a few videos of Lazy Bees flying. This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnvKhnsISPY) is a Lazy Bee using MPJet 28/20-7 Outrunner, 3s1p 3100mAh Lipo with a APC 11x6 prop. I'm sure you can find other conversions. I'd love to get a Speedy Bee (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3078673730172093743&q=speedy+bee&hl=en).

Phil

Al_M
01-26-2007, 01:46 PM
One word of caution. If you find the Bee to be prone to tucking, reduce the prop pitch. It doesn't like to fly too fast.

threetruck
01-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Sorry but what's 'tucking'?

freecrashlessons
01-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Hey Ted,
I've seen Bees flown with everything from speeed 400s on up to 500watt drives. In your case with those full sized servos I wouldn't go with the S400 or even 540 sized "can" motors, you wouldn't Bee happy.

I think the least power system I'd suggest would be a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motor, 3:1 gear box (Master Airscrew, Great Planes, or MPI 3.3:1 planetary), APC 11-7 E prop and either ten big round cells or 3s LiPos.
Nicely over powered for me (you can always throttle back) was a Jeti Phasor 30-3, 3s LiPos and 11-7 prop. Not vertical preformance, but huge loops, lots of rolls and nice inverted. Good long flights too if you go easy on the throttle and just cruise.

In the best of all possible worlds I'd look for about 350 watts in, but that's just me.
RobII
are you talking about using the 3cel lipo that a cp pro heli uses or the heavier bigger one that has a deans plug ? i have a low wing bee i wana change to electric as well as some other planes.....

Al_M
01-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Tucking is when you add just a touch of down elevator and the plane reacts a lot stronger in the down direction than you would expect. It usually happens to me when I am recovering from a maneuver( such as a loop) and I want to stop the planes tendancy to climb because of the excess speed. My Bee only did it with one combination of prop, gear ratio and cell count out three that I used over the years. Changing the prop from an 11-7 to a 11-5.5 cured it.

eduk8r
02-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I know this post comes a little late, but thought you might enjoy seeing my conversion. Unfortunately, on the way home from SEFF 2007, I was involved in a car wreck which destroyed my Speedy 8^( .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4386900/anchors_4386900/mpage_1/key_eduk8r/anchor/tm.htm#4386900