PDA

View Full Version : Sig 1/5 or 1/6 scale Cub w/E-Flite 46?

Scratch
01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
I have an E-Flite 46 lying around I want to build a plane for. My first choice would be a Taylorcraft, but can't seem to find a kit in the right size. My next choice would be the Cub and am looking at the Sig line.

I don't want a 3D Cub as this plane will be mainly for touch and go's with the occassional mild aerobatic routine thrown in, so crazy power isn't the answer. I've never flown a Cub so I have no idea how they act on mild power but have read they don't need a ton of power.

I'd rather have the 1/5 scale, but would I be better off going with the smaller version?

1/5 scale:
84.5" span
6.5 - 7#

1/6 scale:
71" span
5 - 5.5#

I'm planning on using Lipo - haven't bought it yet so any help there would be appreciated as well. I'm looking for 12+ minutes per charge. As for the ESC, my thought was to go with the CC60a ESC and a UBEC.

Thanks for any input.

TheOldGuy
01-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Now that you mention it, does anyone know where to get an electric taylorcraft?

Taylorcraft_ASEL
01-19-2007, 02:05 AM
I am currently building the GP Taylorcraft to be electrified. So far, I have not deviated from plans except to omit the "muffler box" beneath the firewall. All wood is as provided in the kit. At present, the weight of fuse, wing, landing gear, wheels, and tail surfaces is 25.6 oz. I have not sanded the structure yet but dont think it will remove a significant amount of weight. I am shooting for AUW of 64 oz.

I plan to power the Tcraft with an E-FLite 25 and 2x2000 li-po from Commonsenserc. I have the same setup on my Ultra Stick 25 e which weighs 51 oz. and has PLENTY of power for mild to wild aerobatics.

Part of the reason I like the Taylorcraft is because I own the full size version.

Ken
W4SWK
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65 (please dont call it a t-cart...it has never delivered tea or any other beverage that I know of...its a Taylorcraft thing ya know?!)

Jollyroger
01-28-2007, 06:42 PM
The E-Flight 46 should be just fine for that plane.Keep it light and use a 5S lipo pack, or even a 4S pack would work.
This is a very nice kit from Sig as they don't make junk. Someday my Cub will come, but until then I have the Dornier DO 217 to build.
Good luck jollyroger

Dereck
02-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I have an E-Flite 46 lying around I want to build a plane for. My first choice would be a Taylorcraft, but can't seem to find a kit in the right size. My next choice would be the Cub and am looking at the Sig line.

I don't want a 3D Cub as this plane will be mainly for touch and go's with the occassional mild aerobatic routine thrown in, so crazy power isn't the answer. I've never flown a Cub so I have no idea how they act on mild power but have read they don't need a ton of power.

I'd rather have the 1/5 scale, but would I be better off going with the smaller version?

1/5 scale:
84.5" span
6.5 - 7#

1/6 scale:
71" span
5 - 5.5#

I'm planning on using Lipo - haven't bought it yet so any help there would be appreciated as well. I'm looking for 12+ minutes per charge. As for the ESC, my thought was to go with the CC60a ESC and a UBEC.

Thanks for any input.
I had a 1/5th J3 and am building a 1/6th clipwing. The two kits are decades apart!

The 1/5th is first class engineering with laser cut parts - everything fits, and I reckon it has to be the best kit I've built - more so on account of its sheer size. BTW - its 84.5" span is really 1/5th, unlike the legions of 80" BARFs that are that span because its "IMAA legal".

Mine flew just fine on 16 x 3000mA NiMh with a geared MaxCim brushles. I never bothered to measure the current draw but calculations suggested it was only around 30- 35A flat out, which was only needed for take offs and the odd loop. It weighed 8lb 2oz like that and floated around slow as you could want - If you ever get the chance to see a real Cub fly, they move across the sky incredibly slowly, though I have seen a J3 do a sloppy loop, an incredibly slow and barrell-y roll and even a one turn spin.

Your Eflite 46 would be fine for the 1/5th, way OTT for the 1/6th unless you develop a need for an odd-shaped UglyStik ;) I'd suggest you keep the weight down on the back end if using LiPos - I had my NiMh pack right up tight against the firewall to achieve the design CG.

In case you're wondering - the 1/5th flew fine right from its first test flights, but it was a pain to carry around. Assembly at the field was as quick as you'd expect for a large scale model, but putting it all into my little wagon was a real nuisance. So, I sold her and am about to finish up my 1/6th as a clipwing for a Mega 30 series on direct drive.

The 1/6th is a diecut kit from the 70's. maybe even the 60's - well before my days in RC and the US! The instructions mention how to build it as RC, FF or CL, but there's no sign of radio gear on the plan. Guess it assumes anyone who contemplates building one would know how to do it! Definitely not a kit for the short attention span cheque book modeller!

Shame they don't re-do the 1/6th to the same standards as the 1/5th

Regards

Dereck