PDA

View Full Version : ACCEL Katana GS 40 conversion

Mr. Baggins
01-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Little something I've been playing with recently.

Mr. Baggins
01-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Just ripped around the yard a bit to see what she does. Seems to have great power and jumps ahead with just a bump of throttle. If the weight is decent should be a fun "little" plane.

nk1851
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
I recently acquired a Accel Katana 35 and am contemplating which motor to use. What did you use in your 40? Also, i like the way you modified your fuse to mount the motor.
Nick

Mr. Baggins
01-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks Nick

My buddy also has a kat 35 that will be electrified eventually. The motor we used was the 42x50mm. It is basically this one in a 650KV. https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2099
Friend of mine that owns the plane gets them straight from China. You will definitely not need this motor for the 35.

Here's a video of the motor on the stand with a 14x6 glow prop. With the APC 14x7 it did 52 WOT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v331Q4FyVD0

Mr. Baggins
01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Here's the finished mount btw. Took off some of the extra dead weight.

nk1851
02-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Wow, the motor almost blew his shirt off.
He said almost 40A at half throttle will require more research. What did he mean?
Also, did you mahe the motor mount or buy it?
Thanks

Mr. Baggins
02-01-2007, 01:56 AM
The belly behind the flapping shirt was mine. I am doing the conversion for my buddy. The 40 amps was at half throttle with the glow prop. End result it only pulls 52 WOT so all is well.

Motor mount was made by me from aluminum angle stock purchased at Lowes with the crudest of tools. Dremel tool, hack saw and a buffing wheel to try and mask the flub ups. Broke 4 or 5 cutting wheels on that little project.

I'm hoping she flies as good as she looks. Might even get to twiddle the sticks for the maiden.

nk1851
02-01-2007, 02:12 AM
I certainly can't say anything about bellys - LOL. Say, I'm new to all this, so I appreciate your answering my dumb questions.
I looked up the motor on the url you sent and I read 43A maximum. Doesn't that conflict with you saying 52A at WOT?
Nick

Mr. Baggins
02-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Ratings are merely suggestions sometimes. :) Seriously though, the motor at 52 amps is worse case. Sitting still (strapped to bench) with no air flow and at maximum current draw. In the air the prop will unload due to movement through the air and most flying will be done at half throttle except brief bursts for up lines and punch outs.

No stupid questions man. It's all good and glad to help in any way that don't cost me money. :D Plenty of folks answered what I thought were stupid questions for me when I started in the electrics. Besides I have no life and this is how I occupy my time:rolleyes:

Mr. Baggins
02-11-2007, 04:36 AM
Tomorrow may be the day. Will let you know how it goes if weather cooperates.

Mr. Baggins
02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
She flies! Flies really well as a matter of fact. 3 flights and everything looks good except she's a little on the heavy side. If we can get some lighter batteries I'm thinking this will be a lot of fun. As it is the power is really good but it takes about full throttle to hover. Didn't try any other props but I think reducing AUW is gonna be the ticket here. Anyway we're pretty happy with the result and looking forward to more big electrics as things keep getting cheaper.

nk1851
02-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Congratulations. Thanks for all your help.
Nick