PDA

View Full Version : Poked Hole in Neighbors House

Ribcracker
01-19-2007, 03:04 AM
It was so quick, I don't really know what happened. It just went squirrely all of a sudden while over my neighbor's house. I normally stay away from his house but there it was. I heard a loud thunk and knew that wasn't good. When I got over there my heart sunk when I saw the Mini Funtana sticking out of his house like an arrow.:eek: It was buried up to the wings. How horrifying! I got a ladder, went up there and pulled the remains of the plane out. I looked into the hole and saw furniture. Yep, I actually penetrated the house. The sheathing on his house is some sort of foam board and the drywall in the bedroom was cut away in that area because of some project he was doing. Luckily, my neighbor is a good humored fellow and took it pretty well. I spent two hours patching things up (both inside and out) and promised that I would re-side (vinyl) that area in the spring.
I felt like such a schmuk. Never will I fly over someone's house again! I doubt that I'll ever live this down.
So does anybody know where I can get another MF now that they've been discontinued?

peterkron
01-19-2007, 03:15 AM
ne sail.com http://nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3336
and sorry to hear about the death of your plane!

firemanbill
01-19-2007, 03:17 AM
OMG!:eek: Good for you he is a good natured fella! I bet it was a hoot though seeing that plane sticking out of his house...:rolleyes: Once you got over beeing sick to your stomach that is...:(

Now those would have been some good pictures!

I hadn't noticed they've been disonctinued... bummer... Hope they keep making parts. That's one of my favorites to fly!

lshadow2005
01-19-2007, 03:51 AM
It is a good thing you have a great neighbor,otherwise you may have hit a house of someone who could have sued you for what you have and will have in the future.
Find a AMA sanctioned flying field and avoid any future heartaches for you and your neighbors, PLUS meeting some great flyers.
Take care
Bob

Ribcracker
01-20-2007, 03:11 AM
Peter,
Thanks for the link. Horizon no longer offers it and the half dozen distributers I checked were out of stock. I knew I could count on you guys.

Bill,
Yeah, I'm still sick to my stomach and I want to just crawl in a hole. We took brownies over there tonight as a token of my contrition and he kept saying "It's no big deal". Well, it is to me.
He and his family are perfect neighbors. My acreage is wooded but his is pretty open so in the summer he mows a landing strip for me in his big field. They like to watch me fly out their back window. Sometimes in the winter I fly from down on my frozen pond for a change of scenery but he says he'd rather I flew up where they can watch the planes. I'll bet he's sorry now. Just kidding!

Ishadow,
Sometimes freak accidents happen to the most careful individuals. In order to avoid risk in our lives we would have to not get out of bed in the morning and even that can be dangerous.
We denizens of WattFlyer gather as a friendly group to share our experience or ask for advice. My post was of the former type. Most of us would prefer not to be admonished or preached to. I like my life and I plan on making no changes.
Peace,
Bud Beeler

TeslaWinger
01-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Hey, accidents happen at AMA insured fields too- you might get hit by a JET- but first you have to leave home to drive to one- and maybe have to wait your turn to fly- which is the part I'd like to skip if I could fly my larger planes right at home among great neighbors!

THAT'S as good as it gets, Rib!

You'll accept their forgiveness and learn to laugh about it sooner than later and feel better about it. They know what kind of a man you are, so unlax! Just adjust the edges of your pattern!

You can fly into my place anytime! :D
I wanted a window there anyway... :D
There! You've been punished enough. Grant yourself a pardon.

Peace... and Good Depth Perception.
TW

peterkron
01-20-2007, 04:39 AM
happy to help ribbcraker

lshadow2005
01-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Ribcracker,
Sorry if I sounded like I was preaching
You have some wonderful neighbors and have a great flying location.
Some of us do not
Enjoy and may the winds be calm.
Bob

Ribcracker
01-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Bob,
I'm sorry that I snapped at you. You just caught me at a vulnerable time. I guess I was looking for some empathy and the last thing I needed was a lecture. I feel better now (thank you, Tesla) and realize that you meant no harm. I'm grounding myself for a couple of days but plan on plying the great blue again soon. After playing it over in my mind, I've decided it was pilot error. I was using a 300 watt motor on a pound and a half plane with the control surfaces maxed out at nearly full throttle. I was hot-dogging when things went funny and I instinctively pulled up to get away from the house. Trouble is, when I pulled up the plane was inverted. You know the rest.
Honestly, I think of you guys as my buddies and I sure meant no disrespect.
Peace,
Rib

TeslaWinger
01-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Bob, I've been to Sun City AZ and understand your point of view! I was amazed that they were driving golf carts on the streets! I liked the atmosphere there. But it truly is concentrated and liability would be the first thing to come to mind. In such a well populated area a designated field has real advantages- but that pales when you can fly at home!

max-nix
01-21-2007, 07:45 PM
As my flying instructor pointed out "Any system can fail at any time::eek:

DickCorby
01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
You might look into E-Flightline .

http://www.e-flightline.com/

Their Edge 540 is a pretty good flyer as well. And the BME Yak is an awsome little plane.

Airhead
01-29-2007, 06:40 AM
As my flying instructor pointed out "Any system can fail at any time::eek:
You are soo right Max.....

Dick, thanks for that link..:)

Sorry to hear about you crash Ribcracker..You have some good neighbors.:)

spitace
01-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your crash, wont ever happen to me tho, i never eavem plug the batery in untill i get down to the feild.

DickCorby
01-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Just for information. The latest Model Aviation has a new and improved Mini Funtana from E Flite listed on page 127.

Looks like your timeing couldnt have been better.

Ribcracker
01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah, Max. And the system that failed this time was me.

Bruce, Thanks for you sympathy. Things worked out fine.

Dick, Thanks for your ideas. I couldn't find the MF so I got the next closest thing...the Mini Edge 540. In case anyone's interested, they're on sale for $50 at ehobbies .com.

Spit, Don't be so sure of yourself. The attached photo was taken at a "sanctioned" field.
Peace,
Rib

DickCorby
01-29-2007, 08:54 PM
The little EDGE 540 is a good flyer as well. WE had a couple of them, and they did as well as the MF. Be sure and beef up the landing gear right off the bat. We tore it out a few times.

spitace
01-29-2007, 09:31 PM

Ribcracker
01-30-2007, 01:55 AM
You are correct, sir. It is certainly not my photo and I'd be a fool to claim that it was. I did in fact get it from the WattFlyer AP thread and of course you saw it. We all did. It was meant to illustrate what can happen at any flying field (sanctioned or not) whether it is in Youkaslavia or your home town. Why is your back up?

spitace
01-30-2007, 05:13 AM

TeslaWinger
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I dont care about you useing it, but i quote "sanctioned flying feild" how could you know if it was sanctioned? for all you know it could be in youkaslavia.

It's my understanding that INSURANCE doesn't PREVENT accidents, it just helps to clean up the mess afterwards. It could have happened ANYWHERE regardless of the pilot's intentions. If this was a jet, the car could be totaled by fire and impact damage.

Looks like this guy better bake up a few hundred brownies to compensate for the punctured windshield!!

"Youkaslavia?" No, its clearly Crashylvania!

DickCorby
02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Cmon Guys!

Certainly crashes and tradegies occur at sanctioned fields. People get hurt, people have been killed, cars and other property damaged. The list goes on.

Which is why we fly at sanctioned fields - there is insurance to help clean up the mess when it occurs.

But nowadays with the immediate gratification you can get by buying an ARF at the hobby shop, and go fly it within 20 minutes, if the batteries charge that fast, is what our society wants. So only those who have been around awhile, or have had an accident like this gentleman mentions even think of a sanctioned field.

Sometimes by then it's too late..

EpoweredRc
02-01-2007, 08:25 PM
WOW what a story, well thats one you can tell people for years to come lol , a picture would have been great, i cant belive it autally made a hole in the roof, any other time the plane would have just went into pieces.
well at least hes a good guy about the whole thing. Luckly I never had one go down i fly over my neighbors all the times, not them but there houses.