PDA

View Full Version : Gws Floats?

donjiskra
10-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Has anyone had any experience with these floats?
I'm thinking of installing them on my new Stolp Starlet from Hobby Lobby.
AUW is 24 ounces, powered by an AXI 2208/26. The GWS float length of 21" seems ideal for this plane.
I didn't like the landing gear provided, it seemed to flimsy for our grass field so I installed the 6.5" carbon finber one from HL with 2.5" wheels, which will accept the floats nicely. It attaches to a 1/8" plywood epoxied inside the fuse. No modification was made to the fuse except for the two holes drilled for the bolts that attach the gear and snug up to tighten in place. simple and effective. Also made ailerons, for better control....this is easy to do. The servo mounts under the center wing section simply by cutiing out a recess for it. Photo at left unmodified HL version, at right with 1/8" aluminum tube struts painted white and with carbon fiber gear installed.
Prop is a folding 7.5 x 4 Graupner CAM.
Battery is HECELL 1100mah 2/3A NiMh 8 cell 9.6 volt at 5.5 ounces that provides power for 8.5 minute static run time
Would appreciate your comments and experience about the GWS floats.
Thanks. :)
Don

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/starlet.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/landinggear.htm

Jim Casey
10-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Some people love GWS floats. Others don't. Apparently if you get a set that fits together well with a leakproof seam, they're OK, but if you get a set that's not well fitted (either by production variation or by lack of assembly skill) then you won't be happy. More people seem to like tham than not. My personal crusade is to save the world through styrofoam floats. They CAN"T leak. foamfloats.com seems to specialize in floats for small models.

Edit: Foamfloats.com stopped taking orders YESTERDAY (30 sept.05). Sigh. I know several other float cutters out there, but none that make floats for little/lightweight models.

donjiskra
10-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks Jim,
I went to www.foamfloats.com (http://www.foamfloats.com) they look nice and worthwhile with much helpful information and how-to's but they won't be back for orders until March. They do look good but no prices shown for ordering/
Appreciate your reply,
Don

bc-slowflyer
10-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Don;
I think you will be happy with the GWS floats. As Jim said, as long as they are put together carefully they will perform well. i have them on my E-Starter and am in the process of building a GWS Beaver with floats. Hope this helps.

Rod

donjiskra
10-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks Rod,
Good to know that you are pleased. GWS floats look good and the price is right!
Don

willyb
10-02-2005, 02:27 AM
I have a set of GWS floats on a GWS Beaver. They took almost as long to assemble and set up the floats as the Beaver plane did itself!!! When I was finished they were fine and they have worked out fine since (about 6 months). One thing to be sure to do is when you are cutting the plastic ABS forms out, be sure to keep the overlap all the same with no excess plastic turning out away from the float body. Then, before joining, rough up the inside surface of the plastic so it will hold epoxy. Use 30 Minute epoxy to do the joint, and scotch tape to hold them tight to each other (foam & ABS plastic). Then when you are done put them under water (bath tub), squeeze and look for leaks. You may find a couple as I did; seal with more epoxy. From there on one just has to check them occasionally for leaks. It is a narrow joint, about 3/16" or so. Solid foam floats would be a lot quicker to build but once the GWS floats are done they are real neat with the decals and all.
Good luck!

Bill

donjiskra
10-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Bill,
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!!!
Don

Here's how the Starlet will look on the GWS floats, COOL!!!:) :) :)

FunFlyer
10-07-2005, 02:12 AM
I have a Formosa on GWS floats, and they are fine. However, I used plenty of acrylic contact glue for the join seal. Also, I have spaced them wider apart because of the sensitivity to the model being blown over while turning across the wind.

I have a spare pair for a future project, but I must confess to being influenced to make future water-planes only in flying-boat form for stability.

My flying buddy has an estarter on balsa home-made floats which goes nicely too.

lindart aviation
12-06-2005, 04:18 AM
I have modified 2 sets of GWS floats by omitting the lower plastic parts and making them flat bottomed. The bottoms are 1/16 med balsa and the side profile of the foam top parts is preserved. They are glassed with 3/4 oz cloth and Min Wax polycrylic gloss clear water based paint.
They are on GWS Beavers and have water rudders. Performance is excellent. The planes do blow over easily in a cross wind of over 5 mph.HTH

lindart aviation
12-06-2005, 06:06 AM
Justin,The MinWax polycrylic doesn't add as much strength as epoxy. It is cheaper and more user friendly. Kind of a trade off situation.The 3/4oz cloth is supposed to be flexible. It needs to be attached to a rigid surface to add strength. Nylon works for open areas,but takes more paint to fill. The looser weave in the 3/4oz cloth allows it to work better on compound curves,in my opinion. The nylon will be heavier. HTH art

ORION49
02-12-2007, 10:51 PM
This is my first Slow Stick, and my first atempt with floats. Almost finished building the SS and just orderd the floats.
Have you flown from snow on floats?

donjiskra
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes, they work great on snow, much better than skis.
Don

ORION49
02-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes, they work great on snow, much better than skis.
Don

Cool! I'll have to finish my SS and order the floats. :D

benovisoff
11-07-2008, 01:38 AM
I just got my GWS floats today in the mail after being on back order for almost a year. A YEAR!!!! Anyway, i'm gonna see how it goes. They are only ten dollars. And seems they are made two be sold at five. I kinda dissapointed because they are cheap plastic on the bottom.

Bill G
11-09-2008, 12:55 AM
I just got my GWS floats today in the mail after being on back order for almost a year. A YEAR!!!! Anyway, i'm gonna see how it goes. They are only ten dollars. And seems they are made two be sold at five. I kinda dissapointed because they are cheap plastic on the bottom.
The smooth plastic is what makes them look so nice. With the molding lines as reinforcers, they hold up well and are strong. Built a set for a Beaver that have done well.

benovisoff
11-09-2008, 04:12 AM
The floats are not made for the slow stick. I tried to put them on to the fusealage, but the are no hooks, groves, or holes to put then in. I ended up using 4 zip ties to secure them. They seem to move and collapse on the wire and fall forward. This makes me nervous about flying it because it might ruin my top notch Eflite 480, 36 amp esc, 3s 2100 lipo, and ar6100 reciever. The sticker fell apart so I used CA to seal it, but water still leaks in.

Bill G
11-09-2008, 06:58 AM
There's a thread here where someone put these floats on a Slow Stick, if I remember correctly.

benovisoff
11-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I kinda glued the floats so they won't slip, and they are permanent. I was thinking of cutting the stock wheeled gear for the slowstick, and glueing the wheels to the side of the floats.

nascarwings
11-09-2008, 07:21 PM
with gws floats if you fiberglass them inside before you glue them together the floats will last a long time if you dont the seems will let go after a couple of hard water landings...

benovisoff
11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
I fear the floats will add too much weight and drag to the slowstick. But and don't want to upgrade my motor from a 480 to a power 10, and have to get a new esc.

Bill G
11-10-2008, 06:39 AM
They add weight, but on a rudder plane it actually adds to stability due to the low mounted weight, which gives a pendulum effect. The Slow Stick can handle the weight. On my Beaver, it did require substantially more power than a non-float Beaver. It has a Himax 370-4100 GWS "C" geared bl setup and has plenty of power. A 480 will still be massive power for a float Slow Stick, and you will not need more power. I wouldn't even run a Eflite 480, and would just use a Eflite 400. Save the 480 for a warbird that really needs it.

One easy way to brace the floats is to tie either CL string or very thin .015" music wire, from the fuse mounting points of the front float mounts, to the float mounting points of the front rear mounts. Works the same way as rigging does on a biplane. This will brace the floats unless you are going backwards, in which case you would need to also run wires in the other direction to make complete X-bracing on the float mounts.

I would put the ESC in a balloon and RTV the opening, like the boat people do.

benovisoff
11-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I can't even use my floats anyway. It is too hot in OC. There isn't water any where. And I'm not flying it at the beach. :cool:

max-nix
11-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Not everybody does it.

benovisoff
12-06-2008, 02:46 AM
still no water! :(

Ribcracker
12-06-2008, 03:53 AM
I can't figure out how to attach the rear float gear to the plane - any plane!
Does anybody have a secret method for attaching the back gear?

stevecooper
12-06-2008, 04:07 AM
I can't figure out how to attach the rear float gear to the plane - any plane!
Does anybody have a secret method for attaching the back gear?
Do you have the black plastic wheel adapt for it?? I got a few extra if you need one, If I mail it Sat, it should get there Mid-week, bub, steve

Ribcracker
12-06-2008, 04:33 AM
Steve,
Wow! You're right! Why didn't I think of that? Sure, I've got plenty of those from all the old GWS planes that I've loved and lost over the years. I've prolly got a dozen of those black plastic trees with all the little parts on them.
But, my bub, do you think that simply epoxying it in place would be strong enough or would I have to tie into the frame somehow?
Thanks for your generosity!

stevecooper
12-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Ribcracker (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=786)::If your put'in um on a SS you can demel out a 10mm slot in the top of the adpt,and epoxy it in, I like to drill a little hole or two in the fuse so the epoxy goes in the hole and makes a little button that helps hold it firm on the fuse, you can use thread to bind it to the fuse and super-glue the thread, this works great too ,bub, steve

benovisoff
12-06-2008, 05:15 AM
TIE WRAPS!!! (or some people call them tie straps, whatever the little clearish fastener strips are called) AND A BUTT LOAD OF THEM!!! I works great for me, and it will stay in place during flight. worst case is if the floats slide at an angle foward or back before landing on water and your plane is pretty much waterlogged and ruined. But, it works. :)

Ribcracker
12-06-2008, 02:42 PM
benovisoff,
Any chance you could show a picture of your tie-wrap adaptation?
A good temporary mount would be nice so we could try the floats on different planes.

Bill G
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
SteveCooper these floats have massive possibilities for making seaplane hulls. Looks good.
Ken Spencer on RCG used one on a GWS Islander. Turned out well. I thought about doing one, and actually had a NIB Islander at the time, but promised a buddy to build it as his aileron trainer.

stevecooper
12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
SteveCooper these floats have massive possibilities for making seaplane hulls. Looks good.
Ken Spencer on RCG used one on a GWS Islander. Turned out well. I thought about doing one, and actually had a NIB Islander at the time, but promised a buddy to build it as his aileron trainer.
Two foam Chunk-Gliders and some barbieskewers and 3/16&1/4" dowels, and you got a seaPlane:ws: HaHaa!Thanks, your bub, steve

TDisaster
12-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I like to take a small strip of Econokote (or the like) and put it on around the seam between the foam and the plastic of the float (after gluing them first of course). Makes them look nice and become water tight!

benovisoff
12-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Steve the green seaplane looks very impressive and I would love to know how you made it, or plans. Anyways, the gws floats LIE!! they are not really made for the SS. It is a weird setup but i'm going to stick with tie wraps and CA.
I have made them with wheels too. Just take the SS stock wheels, CA, and the landing gear or similar wire. glue the wire 1/4 back on the floats, above the plastic, so that it sticks out horizontally about 1/2 inch. (Little wire is actually needed). Then put on the wheels with the little rubber stoppers that come with the SS and your all set. When you land on water the wheels are hidden. But, you can still take of from grass, even gravel or a sidewalk, without damaging the floats. After repetitive use with the floats off of hard ground without the wheels the thin plastic gets holes, and water will get in it. You don't really need the plastic because the foam will float it, but it is nice for it to stay smooth. You can also float it out of the water right onto dry land and the wheels will take over on hard ground. I am sorry to say that wattflyer won't let me upload pictures for some strange reason. They look OK but work even better. Best of Luck!:ws:

stevecooper
12-07-2008, 03:10 AM
It's just two of those 5$ styrofoam gliders you get from the store I chopped and shaped up from pixs on the net of Old Sea-planes,(20's-30's) It's not any one but a hodge-pauge of um, I'm gonna try your float wheel idea out on my Zebra this week, it sounds like a hoot! your bub, steve PS, moderator's ::Any of my mod bub's want'a help benovisoff get so pix's up??thanks

benovisoff
12-07-2008, 04:10 AM
If you look at the last pic you posted, thats kinda like what the wheel setup looks like. I havn't found the foam planes to make the seaplane. I'm gonna make my own floats because I am already using the gws floats for the SS.
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:kE_acNzXTjLZ2M:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/chaz345/attachment.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/chaz345/attachment.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D10806&usg=__9iL7XhLIPHeX3eI5XMgNqKdYvFA=&h=593&w=769&sz=76&hl=en&start=32&um=1&tbnid=kE_acNzXTjLZ2M:&tbnh=110&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSlow%2BStick%2Bwith%2Bfloats%26start% 3D18%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%2 6rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SUNA%26sa%3DN) Next time.

benovisoff
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
steve, is there a specific website for these foam planes or store, because there are a trillion of them on the web? I am also working on rudders that work on the bottom with hs-55's. It's gonna be sweet!

Bill G
12-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Steve I just love that trademark airplane photoshoot wheelbarrow of yours.:Q

benovisoff
12-09-2008, 02:27 AM
I like the look of the floats much better than the wheels. It looks sleaker, and more magestic. It helps the CG by distributing some weight.

benovisoff
12-31-2008, 05:19 PM
I am sorry to say that I am getting rid of my floats. They work ok in water, but it is dry as a bone here. I only land on grass, and every time the floats come off on landing. The wheels maybe arent big enough because the grass is so long and thick where I fly. They are so full of epoxy by now anyways, and have been giving me nothing but trouble. If you want em, you got em.

stevecooper
12-31-2008, 07:00 PM
I am sorry to say that I am getting rid of my floats. They work ok in water, but it is dry as a bone here. I only land on grass, and every time the floats come off on landing. The wheels maybe arent big enough because the grass is so long and thick where I fly. They are so full of epoxy by now anyways, and have been giving me nothing but trouble. If you want em, you got em.
benovisoffBub: Mail um to GreenAce! he's in need with all the snow, PM him, He'll be tickled! your bub, steve

benovisoff
12-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Man! that plane there looks so nice, how do you get the floats like that, to work!? I don't know GreenAce, but i'll try. Thanks

stevecooper
12-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Man! that plane there looks so nice, how do you get the floats like that, to work!? I don't know GreenAce, but i'll try. ThanksI take off and land from grass, no prob, I use the GWS land'in adpt's that come with-um , Don't give up, hang on to um and wait for a E-Starter or something later on:ws:, your bub, steve

benovisoff
12-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I just got done flying. I might just give up all together on flying. It just keeps becoming a money pit. Today, I burned out in one flight a brand new e-flite 480 motor after I just had it fixed, and a castle 36 amp esc 3amp bec. I can't afford anything right now, especially flying. My easystar doesn't work for reasons unknown to mankind, and it has a six series bl inrunner, 54 amp esc, the whole shabang. Everytime I fly, something goes miserably wrong. :(

stevecooper
12-31-2008, 09:53 PM
I just got done flying. I might just give up all together on flying. It just keeps becoming a money pit. Today, I burned out in one flight a brand new e-flite 480 motor after I just had it fixed, and a castle 36 amp esc 3amp bec. I can't afford anything right now, especially flying. My easystar doesn't work for reasons unknown to mankind, and it has a six series bl inrunner, 54 amp esc, the whole shabang. Everytime I fly, something goes miserably wrong. :(
You can get a 36Oz thrust outie&25AmpESC at Hobby-city for less than 20$, I've got some with100's of flights on um and they work like new, The stuff you got ran you a 100$ easy, Shop around, If theres any thing I got that help keep you in the air let me know as I'm about to put some stuff up on the Free'bee thread,:ws:bub, steve

benovisoff
12-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks alot steve, but Ive had bad experiences with electronis that aren't top notch brand names. you get what you pay for. But its not just my SS thats really screwed up. This time was my fault though. I hit my back coming in, even though I had stalled it and was barely moving with no power, it still went wrong. This 480 with 2100mah lipo, 10X10 prop pulls about 30-32 oz. and pulls 31amps.