PDA

View Full Version : I Wish It Was Spring!

Tinman
01-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Anyone wish it was Spring time? Winter really stinks!

How many more days?

Grasshopper
01-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I do I do!! We just somewhat dug out of the worst ice storm in over 20 years and now the snow is coming down! Supposed to get another 6" today and tomorrow. My wife and I were out delivering lunches to the electric linemen that are still trying to get power hooked up to people that have been out for a week now.

gsk11740
01-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Considering what some of you are having to put up with out in the midwest, I'm not going to complain. Well, not too much anyway! :D

I did manage to get out yesterday and fly for all of about 5 minutes before the winds started to kick up. Better than nothing I guess.

EpoweredRc
01-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I do I do!! We just somewhat dug out of the worst ice storm in over 20 years and now the snow is coming down! Supposed to get another 6" today and tomorrow. My wife and I were out delivering lunches to the electric linemen that are still trying to get power hooked up to people that have been out for a week now.

wow. i wouldnt want to be there, we are wishing for just a day of ice here to play with our 4 wheelers and all and you guys have way to much snow...
i really hate winter i wish it was 70 all year round other then a week or 2 of 90's to warm the lakes and pools

Tinman
01-20-2007, 10:32 PM

Oh my! Yeah im ot going to complain either. I live in Western PA but we actually are having a pretty mild winter till about last week.

This will be my first season flying RC planes and I can't wait for the weather to break....

:)

aviatordave
01-21-2007, 02:13 AM
I think I find myself flying more in the winter than when its super nice out !?!

I think I just do it to defy the fact that you cant fly in the winter. I'm looking forward to spring too, anybody tally up the days yet?

TLyttle
01-21-2007, 05:32 AM
'Course, you could be in the UK; try flying in 120mph breezes! Oh, and make sure to watch for flying bricks/rooftiles/etc...

gsk11740
01-21-2007, 02:22 PM
'Course, you could be in the UK; try flying in 120mph breezes! Oh, and make sure to watch for flying bricks/rooftiles/etc...

Well, that sure beats the 40mph "breeze" we were getting yesterday!

CaptKAOS
01-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Fourteen days till spring....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Airhead
01-21-2007, 03:04 PM
We have pretty mild weather here, I understand about some severe and cold weather, We come from New Hampshire, We've been fortunate to be in the sunny south for the last 5 months. :) Still, it has been kinda wet and windy here lately. Not too much flyin'.

Tinman
01-21-2007, 03:08 PM
I hear that Airhead, windy weather stinks...

spitace
01-30-2007, 01:46 AM
How i envy you
I Havent seen snow since i was 3, and i am told i cried the whole time.

Tinman
01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I wish I could send you all the snow that is here Spitace..

gsk11740
01-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I spent some time tinkering with one of my planes this morning. Little things like tweaking the landing gear, adjusting the battery holder, checking control surface trim....

Then I look outside and see the trees blowing around and all I can do is hang the plane back up in my room.

Snow I can deal with (I think flying from skies would be cool). I can even deal with the cold. It's that #@$&*! 20+mph WIND that never seems to stop blowing until April that I can't stand! I WANT TO FLY DARN IT!!!! :mad:

Oh well, there's always Realflight G3.5 on my computer I guess.

Tinman
01-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I spent some time tinkering with one of my planes this morning. Little things like tweaking the landing gear, adjusting the battery holder, checking control surface trim....

Then I look outside and see the trees blowing around and all I can do is hang the plane back up in my room.

Snow I can deal with (I think flying from skies would be cool). I can even deal with the cold. It's that #@$&*! 20+mph WIND that never seems to stop blowing until April that I can't stand! I WANT TO FLY DARN IT!!!! :mad:

Oh well, there's always Realflight G3.5 on my computer I guess.

I want to fly too! I feel your pain! Ive had my Super Cub for close to a week! Still in the box!!!!!! AHH

I'm getting really good at flying my CX2 though. Glad I got that!!!

Yeah the snow is ok, its the wind thats a killer!

gsk11740
01-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I want to fly too! I feel your pain! Ive had my Super Cub for close to a week! Still in the box!!!!!! AHH

I'm getting really good at flying my CX2 though. Glad I got that!!!

Yeah the snow is ok, its the wind thats a killer!

That would drive me nuts having my first brand new plane, still in the box and not being able to fly it for the first time. At least I did get in a little stick time a couple weekends ago.

I have a CX2 also. At least hovering around the living room helps a little.

I really need to get started on that little "AcroCub" kit I bought. It'll take my mind off not flying.

Tinman
01-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Do you have a link to the AeroCub kit?

Yeah it is killing me..... should of waitied abd got it in March but i didnt kow how long the free battery was going to last.....

oh well the box is pretty!

gsk11740
01-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Do you have a link to the AeroCub kit?

Yeah it is killing me..... should of waitied abd got it in March but i didnt kow how long the free battery was going to last.....

oh well the box is pretty!

Here ya go: Micro Acro Cub (http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/store-type-tem.html?item=products:k-61&sid=0001ruIEC1WR0DkQ843L6c1)

Tinman
01-30-2007, 05:30 PM
House of balsa? Thats great!

I onder how hard this would be to build....
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/store-type-tem.html?item=products:k-62&sid=0001ruIEC1WR0DkQ845N459

gsk11740
01-30-2007, 05:52 PM
House of balsa? Thats great!

I onder how hard this would be to build....
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/store-type-tem.html?item=products:k-62&sid=0001ruIEC1WR0DkQ845N459

I don't know but I'm going to find out! Actually, building them doesn't look too hard. The big Cub looks even easier (from the instructions anyway) than this little one. It's the covering that I worry about. Never done it before. I'm hoping if I join a local club that I can get someone to show me how.

Tinman
01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Covering would scare me to, never did it as well. Maybe you can pick up some of those cheap ruber band models for a few bucks and cover them...

might be good practice

gsk11740
01-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Really, just about anything would work for practice.

Airhead
02-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Hey guys,

Start to feel better because I just counted.......48 days to go !!!:D

Grasshopper
02-01-2007, 04:37 AM
48 days too long. It's 12 degrees and snowing again. At this rate, I'm going to have about 4 planes to maiden before I get to fly again.

Airhead
02-01-2007, 04:45 AM
48 days too long. It's 12 degrees and snowing again. At this rate, I'm going to have about 4 planes to maiden before I get to fly again.
Right now....I look at that as a positive thing.. My new planes that aren't damaged yet..Woohooo:)

Grasshopper
02-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Good point Bruce. I think I'm going to have to hire an instructor to teach me to fly again though. :(

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Right now....I look at that as a positive thing.. My new planes that aren't damaged yet..Woohooo:)

You have a point there. I mostly finished putting one of my ARFs together. Just need the receiver (backordered). It sure looks nice and as long as I can't fly it, it'll stay that way. :D

Tinman
02-01-2007, 04:24 PM
You guys make some good points!

Now I dont feel so bad that my Super Cub is still in the box.

Can't crash an airplane if its still in the box!!!

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 04:43 PM
You guys make some good points!

Now I dont feel so bad that my Super Cub is still in the box.

Can't crash an airplane if its still in the box!!!

The same holds true for helicopters. In my case, I not only wish I'd left my helis in the box, I wish I'd left the box on the shelf at the LHS! Well, not the CX2. It's actually fun. :D

Tinman
02-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Yep! I love my CX, I wouldn't trade it for another heli. Way to much fun!!

Tinman
02-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Gary I found the perfect kit for me, I'm going to order this one :)

I think its a good starting point.

Cant wait!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss-stikjr.htm

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Gary I found the perfect kit for me, I'm going to order this one :)

I think its a good starting point.

Cant wait!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss-stikjr.htm

There ya go! I looked at that one too. Then I went crazy and got the "Monster Cub". :rolleyes:

Like I said before, I plan to build the "Acro Cub" and then maybe get a couple more kits, one of which will probably be the "Miss Stik Junior" and there's a "SA - SQuiRT Speed 400 Trainer (http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/product.php?productid=16492&cat=254&page=1)" I want to look at too. I need to get some experience in before I even think about tackling that 80" Cub. When the Cub shows up, I'm going to check for shipping damage and any missing parts and if all's well, seal it up and stuff it in the closet until I'm ready for it. I've been reading the 97 page thread over on RCG and the big Cub is no beginners build by a long shot. At least not if I want it to turn out right anyway.

Tinman
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Thats a great idea to build some smaller tings before you build your cub! Yep im going to get the miss stick, i decided to suck up a little pride :( and get something that I can learn from.

then i might go for this.... j/k

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster12.htm

watch the video it is great! I cant belive it is "legal"

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Thats a great idea to build some smaller tings before you build your cub! Yep im going to get the miss stick, i decided to suck up a little pride :( and get something that I can learn from.

then i might go for this.... j/k

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster12.htm

watch the video it is great! I cant belive it is "legal"

I actually looked at the 12 foot Telemaster once as a possible AP plane (I'd bet that monster could carry one of those old VHS camcorders without much trouble :D ). When I started adding up what it cost to build and fly and also how to transport it to where I could even fly anything that big, well it just didn't make as much sense. Sure did look cool though!

Tinman
02-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Wow i never thought about transporting it!! I guess you would have to get a trailer!!!

I would love to see one of these fly in person!!!

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Wow i never thought about transporting it!! I guess you would have to get a trailer!!!

I would love to see one of these fly in person!!!

That's one problem I haven't quite worked out with the Super Cub. That 6' 8" wing is one piece. All I have is a ratty little '89 S-10 Blazer 2 door. I'll have to leave the tailgate window up to haul it (it'll look like a small surfboard sticking out). Who knows though. By the time I get it built, the Blazer will have died (it's got 235,000 miles on it now) and I'll have something bigger I can carry things in.

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 06:02 PM
What an I thinking? I have a VW bus. It'll fit in that! (and look way cooler too! :cool: )