PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Built Foamy DR1 Fokker 30" WS

CHELLIE
01-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi Everyone

I told a few of the members here that I was going to try to build a DR1 Foamy Fokker, so David1234 and Kosh egged me on, they wanted me to start a build thread, dont know if I am Good enough for that, but i will give it a try, I am using 5mm foam from BP , it will have a 30" wing span and length of about 28" for power it will get a Towerpro 2409-12 outrunner, 30 amp ESC, 9x5 prop, 1800mah lipo 11.1v, I will use Towerpro 9 gram servos and a Hitec Micro 05S receiver, It will probable take a little while to get it done, but thats half the fun, the foam will be scored and folded, for the fusalage and the wings, the wings will be reinforced with bass wood, so i will have something to mount things to with screws, I have looked at some pictures of the DR1 and have searched the forums for ideas, and I am still looking :) here are a few pics of what has been done so far, I started today on it, Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
01-21-2007, 10:59 AM
A little more progress being made, got the rudder and elevator made and installed :) its getting there.;) Chellie

wannafly
01-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Is the last pic in the first post (bottom right) just one peice of depron?
If you need 3mm "pre-ribbed" depron let me know.
I have a 2meter x 1meter sheet which I will gladly send you (in peices ofcourse :) ).
It's green though (Italian flag green).

david1234
01-21-2007, 01:14 PM
A little more progress being made, got the rudder and elevator made and installed :) its getting there.;) Chellie

Very nice!! Do you have a pattern, or are you just winging it off of the pictures? What are you projecting for an AUW?? ;)

CHELLIE
01-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Very nice!! Do you have a pattern, or are you just winging it off of the pictures? What are you projecting for an AUW?? ;)

Hi David. I am just winging it off the picture, getting ready to go flying this morning, its a beautiful day today, lipos all charged :) I am going to try to keep it under 24 oz, the power system is good for 33 0z of thrust, take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
01-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Is the last pic in the first post (bottom right) just one peice of depron?
If you need 3mm "pre-ribbed" depron let me know.
I have a 2meter x 1meter sheet which I will gladly send you (in peices ofcourse :) ).
It's green though (Italian flag green).

Hi Wannafly :) the body is folded,the top & sides are one piece, then i cut some sections and glued them on the bottom, the rudder & elevator & body were cut out of one sheet of 5mm depron thats 36x10, i bought the depron from BP hobbies, its taking shape now, the wings I am not sure if i am going to use 5mm or 3mm depron or if I will fold them or just curve them, I am just winging it, thank you for the offer, your Sweet, I will just see how it goes :D and see what seems to work, take care, Chellie

david1234
01-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi David. I am just winging it off the picture, getting ready to go flying this morning, its a beautiful day today, lipos all charged :) I am going to try to keep it under 24 oz, the power system is good for 33 0z of thrust, take care, Chellie

Awesome CHELLIE, Have fun at the flying field!! I was out this morning and maidened my Formosa 1 with good results, then tried my UF BAE Hawk with less than stellar results. Needless to saw it is back to the drawing board with that one...:cool:

CHELLIE
01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Awesome CHELLIE, Have fun at the flying field!! I was out this morning and maidened my Formosa 1 with good results, then tried my UF BAE Hawk with less than stellar results. Needless to saw it is back to the drawing board with that one...:cool:

O well that happens, had a problem at the flying field today, I think someone turned onto my channel while flying, I lost all control over the plane and it went in, there are just to many people at that field flying, and its hard to control whos on what channel, thank goodness foam bounces :D a little 5 min epoxy and 10 min time and it will fly again :rolleyes: I think i will take off the landing gear and just belly land it, that way I can just take it to the park thats close to me, with the landing gear , I cant take off in grass, :o Take care, Chellie

rcav8r
01-22-2007, 03:52 AM
Chellie; Looking good! Too bad it isn't Pink ;) About how much time do you have in it so far? Must be nice to know what power system your gonna use before the building starts. I still don't know what I'm going to power my C123 w/, and I'm almost at the stage of construction where I NEED to know to set firewall distance, nacelle length, etc...

CHELLIE
01-22-2007, 06:19 AM
Chellie; Looking good! Too bad it isn't Pink ;) About how much time do you have in it so far? Must be nice to know what power system your gonna use before the building starts. I still don't know what I'm going to power my C123 w/, and I'm almost at the stage of construction where I NEED to know to set firewall distance, nacelle length, etc...

Hi RCAV8r :) I have got about 5 to 6 hrs in it so far, I am just taking my time, this will be my second build, my first was really easy, it was a bobcat pusher, all flat, here is a pic of it, I ran into a little snag on the wing for the DR1, but i think I got that solved now, I looked for pink 5 mm depron, but no luck :D :rolleyes: ;) Take Care & have a Great Week, Chellie

CHELLIE
01-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi Everyone :) ran into a little snag with the wing, I am trying to use 5mm depron for the entire build plus some balsa here and there, Well, I found out that 5mm depron does not like to bend more that 90 Degrees :D was trying to form the leading edge, with no luck, back to the drawing board ;) by scoring two seperate pieces on the inside, then glueing the leading edge on, I was able to form the shape of the wing, the picture is just a (proof of concept ), or see if the silly thing is going to work :p I knew this was going to be a challenge, but its fun, Take care & have fun, Chellie

flypaper 2
01-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Try putting 1 in. wide Scotch tape or hockey tape on the outside of the bend. It will help keep the foam from stretching and breaking. You can leave it in or take it off after your done, although leaving it on does add strength. Hope this helps :p

whizzard
01-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi CHELLIE

I am building a 72" Piper Cub using white fan fold foam that has a thin plastic sheeting on both sides.

I just use a built in fold as the leading edge and score the foam through the plastic coating on the inside to help form the curved leading edge curves of the flat bottom wing. Using a ball point pen on the plastic coating keeps it from tearing as I make the scores.

To keep the plastic covering from tearing at its pre-serated folding line I use 2" wide fiber reinforced packing tape over the outside of the leading edge. This gives a lot of strength to the entire wing and since the foam is white the white tape just blends in.

I just cut through the plastic covering and remove it anywhere I need to glue any piece of foam to another piece of foam.

I am not trying to build a "hanger queen", just trying to build a large Cub to help me train myself for my electrified Great Planes 81" Cloth Covered Cub :D (see my avatar!) without destroying a $700 investment:eek:

Watching your build of the DR-1 with anticipation since I also want to build a WWI bipe of some sort.

Bill

CHELLIE
01-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Flypaper2 , Hi Whizzard , Thank you for the tips, those will be very helpful during my build, this is my second foam build, so its going to be interesting, good luck on your builds too, I will follow them, Chellie

GITech001
01-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Hi Chellie and everyone else!!!

Nice build! I didn't know the pusher cat was your first flat foamy build! WOW! I was amazed and I thought you were a pro at building foamies already! This new project looks GREAT and challenging!!! "Props" to you!

I will get notification of noew posts here now and I can't wait to GIT involved in some new projects. For me it's building my Miss Hydro 1.5's (http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/p/complete-miss-hydro-v15.asp)everyday. I love it though!!!!!

Hey Chellie, would you like to mention my thread to your friends? I will leave it up to you! You have been soooo much help to me! I wish I could return the favor someday!!!

Well, I'll talk to you latter!

Your friend,
Jay

CHELLIE
01-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Hi Everyone :) had to go the LHS today and get a few things, like 1/4" triangle balsa and 1/4 x 1" balsa ailerons. Thank to Flypaper 2 and Whizzard I got some great tips that I used, thanks Guys ;)
here is what was done.
1. cut 2 pieces of 5mm depron foam 3 1/2" x 28" for the top wing.
2. scored the inside front half of the foam with a ball point pen.
3. tapped the front insides of the wing to make like a hinge when folding
and to keep epoxy from going inside of wing. used 3/4" tape.
4. added 2" scotch storage tape to the outside front of wing where it
will bend at.
5. glued 1/4 balsa triangle to front edge of wing with 5 min epoxy, had
to work fast :D
6. added ruler to back part of wing to hold open, to aid in shape and
curve of wing, while drying.
7. temp taped back of wing to see results, looks ok. top wing at 3 oz
plus fuse, rud.& elevator at 1 0z . 4 oz total so far ;)
8. almost forgot, used 3/8" x 3/8" bass wood for inside of wing to give
shape and strength. will be sanding the leading edge of the triangle balsa to give a rounded off leading edge, here are some more pics. Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
01-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi Chellie and everyone else!!!

Nice build! I didn't know the pusher cat was your first flat foamy build! WOW! I was amazed and I thought you were a pro at building foamies already! This new project looks GREAT and challenging!!! "Props" to you!

I will get notification of noew posts here now and I can't wait to GIT involved in some new projects. For me it's building my Miss Hydro 1.5's everyday. I love it though!!!!!

Hey Chellie, would you like to mention my thread to your friends? I will leave it up to you! You have been soooo much help to me! I wish I could return the favor someday!!!

Well, I'll talk to you latter!

Your friend,
Jay

Hi Jay, If you want to return a favor, just keep building a top notch product like you are already doing and giving great customer support, that will be enough thanks for me :) or you can add me in your WILL :D just kidding, you know what? I have a son your age he is going on 30 and a son 28 and another son 26, I adopted you, so you are my 4 son :D
I does my heart good to see a young person starting their own buisness, and make a go at it, I know what your going through, as I had my own buisness too, and long hours and sat and sundays sometimes to catch up, been there, done that, I know I dont look my age :) :) :)the Lord has been good to me, Take care & have fun, Chellie

MISS HYDRO 1.5 the best of the best

http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp?page=policy

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=125312#post125312

CHELLIE
01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi Everyone, At it again :) here is what has been done on the wing & Ailerons

1. cut some thin balsa sheeting for the covers on the wing tips and glued in place using 5 min epoxy.
2. sanded wing tips to match wing
3. cut aileron and tip for aileron and glued together.

trying to make it look a little like the finished picture,
here are some pics of the progress.

Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
01-27-2007, 03:20 AM
Hi Everyone, Got a little more done today, have the top wing done :D Now just 2 more to go :eek: Oh Well, Thats half the fun, here is what was done.

1. installed hinges on the ailerons, sanded a half moon on the inside of the ailerons,
2. cut a strip of balsa 1/4" X 1/2" and glued on trailing edge between ailerons.
3. Painted Wing, used Krylon Short Cuts paint in Red Pepper, this paint is the best ever on foam, leaves a nice shiney surface & is foam safe, but first test on your foam to be safe.
4. applied mono coat white tape on wing, cut out X from paper and colored black for pattern, need to buy some black mono coat tape to apply X on wing.

Take care , Chellie

Grasshopper
01-27-2007, 03:36 AM
That's really looking good Chellie! Can't wait to see it finished!

CHELLIE
01-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Thank You Grasshopper :) I am trying, I have received a lot of help from other members & support, and that really helps, working on the 2 last wings, the top wing and the second wing will get ailerons, I dont think I will need them on the bottom 3rd wing, correct me if I am Wrong, top wing 30in WS counting the outside tips of the ailerons , 2nd wing 24" WS, and bottom wing 20" WS , Wish me luck :) Take Care, Chellie

Airhead
01-27-2007, 07:56 AM
That is Awesome Chellie,
What a professional looking job you've done.....Good for you...:)
Can't wait to see your next project!

CHELLIE
01-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Thank you Bruce :) its getting there, little by little, need to go to the LHS Again :) need some more mono coat tape and bass wood, :) have you been following the C123 Build by rcav8r, thats is a big build, its awsome, I tease him a little about it being Pink :) Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
01-28-2007, 03:49 AM
Hi Everyone :) I have all 3 wings built now, what a pain :D I would rather be flying :rolleyes: here is what has been done so far.

1. fitting bottom wing to fusalage , made sure that the elevator is level
and made a sliding level for the wing to get it level too, the level
holds the wing at the leading edge and the trailing edge.
2. the two other wings were made the same as the top wing pictured
above.

Thats where I am at at this time, will try to get all 3 wings fitted tonight, Maybe ;) take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
01-28-2007, 04:31 AM
That is Awesome Chellie,
What a professional looking job you've done.....Good for you...:)
Can't wait to see your next project!

Hi Bruce :) my next build if i am sucessfull with this one will be another pusher jet, hopefully it will look something like this :D A little Ambitious I know, but i will give it a try, Take care and have fun. Chellie

GITech001
01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Jay, If you want to return a favor, just keep building a top notch product like you are already doing and giving great customer support, that will be enough thanks for me :) or you can add me in your WILL :D just kidding, you know what? I have a son your age he is going on 30 and a son 28 and another son 26, I adopted you, so you are my 4 son :D
I does my heart good to see a young person starting their own buisness, and make a go at it, I know what your going through, as I had my own buisness too, and long hours and sat and sundays sometimes to catch up, been there, done that, I know I dont look my age :)the Lord has been good to me, Take care & have fun, Chellie

MISS HYDRO 1.5 the best of the best

http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp?page=policy

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=125312#post125312

Awwwwwww!!!!!...Thank you Chellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am speechless...I have avoided replying for a few days because I just don't know ..... how to respond ... I recieve no support from my mother or old friends (and altimately I am doing this for them). It is mind boggling how nice YOU are and the people and neihborhood kids are who help me at the store!

:) It's a different world from where I come from! :)

I accept your adoption...;) I would be happy to be a part of your family and be your friend too. Mine has really left me out to dry. That is OK though! They will enjoy their new cars someday!;) (We all drive old cars now)

Tell your Sons I say HI!!!!!!!!!! I am 29 and my birthday is 4/20! so I am going on 30 too!!! :D Cool!

The Lord has been nice to you! It is good to see someone relaying some(LOTS) of that kindness on to others! :)

Ok, got to go! On to my next duty!

Your build and skills are incredible Chellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTYL,
Jay
GITaHobby.com (http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp)

Airhead
01-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Chellie,

I can't wait to see it! Good luck:)
A little late with this post, wouldn't ya say?

wannafly
01-30-2007, 06:58 PM
CHELLIE....what can I say , you da bomb babe.. :)
Nearly done , hang in there it's going to be stunning I'm SURE.

CHELLIE
02-01-2007, 03:35 AM
Hi Wannafly :) Its almost there :), I will be working on it some more this weekend, and maybe just maybe I will get it done :)

Hi Airhead :) I just want to fly it now :) Now I remember why I like ARF planes so much :) :) :) Take care everyone, Chellie

CHELLIE
02-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Hi Everyone :) I am at it again, here is what has been done so far.

1. made 2 U Brackets to glue into the fuse to hold the wings on, for the
bottom wing & middle wing.
2. made some prick holes in the inside of the fuse foam so the glue will
hold better to the foam, where the u brackets will be attached to.
3. used levels to keep every thing straight, I hope :D glued the bracket
mounts in place using 30 min epoxy, with the wings attached to the
brackets.

CHELLIE
02-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Hi, Again :) went out and had dinner, then had to rush back home to work some more on my DR1 :D :D :D ok ok , just kidding, I am making some taps and glueing them in for the wing supports, had to make 8 of them, then the wing supports will be screwed onto the taps, the wood shown in the picture is a guide, to align where the tap on the upper wing needs to be at, started from the bottom wing up, so far so good, the foam wing was notched into the bass wood brace thats in the wing, and the tabs were epoxied in place, Chellie

CHELLIE
02-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi Again :) Its getting there, attached the wings with the struts on the outside of the wings, still need to make the supports for the top wing in the middle, After a marqarita or 2 or 3 to help me THINK :D I should be able to think of something that will work :D :rolleyes: ;) hey its the weekend, and I am not flying :p at this point the weight is 13 oz, I think I should be able to meet my goal of 24oz AUW, take care, Chellie

GITech001
02-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Hi everyone!!! :D

Sorry for the late reply!!! My internet has been down for three days and coupled with the move to my new store this week I haven't had the time to do anything else for several days now.

I have 35 emails to respond to and many threads to catch up on tonight!

:D Your build is looking AWSOME Chellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Talk to you soon!!!

CHELLIE
02-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Everyone :) did a little more to the DR1, its got a paint job now :)
I need to install the electronics, and wheels, build 2 machine guns, and time them, so they shoot through the prop :D :D :D I am using a cowl from my retired F4U corsair, that GWS foam plane had a twisted wing, it was twisted so the right wing was down, I was wondering why it pulled real bad to the right, and Left trim and left thrust did not help, It was hard to see with a gull wing, oh well, I will be adding the decals to the DR1 today, and make a motor mount, and try to figure out how to make a landing gear for it, Take care & Have fun, Chellie

aviatordave
02-05-2007, 05:11 AM
I like that level, pretty neat!!

looks like everything is coming together nicely with great detail. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Dave (whens the kit coming?)

CHELLIE
02-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi Everyone :) Its getting there, Painted the fuse today, added decals,
installed the cowl temp. made some supports for the middle to top wing, and epoxied them in place, made them from bambo rods, just need to make the machine guns and time them so I dont shoot the prop off :D
make the front landing gear and add the electronics, Its a ARF now ;) the weight at this time is 14 oz, here are a few more pics.

CHELLIE
02-05-2007, 06:12 AM
I like that level, pretty neat!!

looks like everything is coming together nicely with great detail. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Dave (whens the kit coming?)

Hi Dave :) well its a ARF now, on the level I had to make something that would attach to the wing and show when its level, so I made that up, it works good, it slides for different size wings, and has a v notch to center the level, I saw something like it, so that gave me the idea on how to make it, this was a lot of work and was a challange, it took everything that i had learned to do it, but it was fun, maybe by next week, I will get a chance to fly it, Take care, Chellie

aviatordave
02-05-2007, 06:14 AM
wow...very impressive

Dave

Airhead
02-06-2007, 05:25 AM
What a great job Chellie!

Everything looks great!:D

Spoonwasher
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Nice Build Chellie....Looks like it will be a nice plane. I did notice that you are using a symetical airfoil on your DR1. I thought the folkers used undercamberd airfoils ? Was this choice for ease of build, or ease of flying ? Just wondered what led you to use this type of airfoil for your tripe....Plane looks great though...nice job
DM.
Ps..I pylon raced the GWS warbirds last flying season...I ended up picking the Corsair as my Me109's had wing warp that I couldn't get out.It also turned out to be a more stable flyer in light winds.

CHELLIE
02-08-2007, 04:27 AM
Nice Build Chellie....Looks like it will be a nice plane. I did notice that you are using a symetical airfoil on your DR1. I thought the folkers used undercamberd airfoils ? Was this choice for ease of build, or ease of flying ? Just wondered what led you to use this type of airfoil for your tripe....Plane looks great though...nice job
DM.
Ps..I pylon raced the GWS warbirds last flying season...I ended up picking the Corsair as my Me109's had wing warp that I couldn't get out.It also turned out to be a more stable flyer in light winds.

Hi Spoonwasher :) I used the symetical wings for ease of flying and doing mild aerobatics, it was also easier to build it that way too :) I built the wings on the thin side too, so I would not have a lot of drag, thank you on the complements, I tried ;) I had a GWS F4U corsair that I built, and it had a twisted wing too, I did not notice it at first, because its a little hard to see that with a gull wing, it kept pulling to the right, and full left aileron trim did not help , and left thrust did not help too, I found it , finally :)
I retired that plane and built this DR1, the F4U did not go to waist, I used the cowl from it :D Take care & have fun, Chellie

Spoonwasher
02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Hello Again Chellie....Thanks for the feed back on your build choice.I just wondered if there was some "other" advantage that I may have missed.Most of my builds have been flat bottom high lift and some undercambered builds. I try to consider the slow flight traits of high lift wings for landings and a more relaxed sunday flying.With that said, I have a pile of models that get one's blood pumping too when I need the fix...Lol
When leaving for work yesterday afternoon i noticed a small package in the mailbox...my servo's & speed controls are here...ye haw...back to the build board to get some projects finished....with the extra servo's I can now look to starting a "Flat-out" Tripe of the folker for some indoor flying I do.One of my fellow flyers here built one and I saw him fly it indoor last month. He gave me a link to the build here in wattflyer and it flew well and looked great for a flatty.I think the tripe wings take your eye away fron the flat fuse used and the tripes have a wide variety of scale colours to finish these in.Flatout tripes look great in Hoover...lol...If the Red Baron only new...LoL..we may never have shot him down....

GITech001
02-09-2007, 03:55 AM
WOW...WOW...WOW...that's incredible mom!

If I didn't see you building it...I wouldn't have believed it!!!!

I want one just to look at...nevermind flying it!!! Hehe:D

It is beautiful!!!!! Can you GIT a clear pic of it? I want to use it as a desktop background!

TTYL,
Jay
GITaHobby.com (http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp)

CHELLIE
02-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Hi Jay :) Ok, I am not that great at taking pics as you can see :) I will break out my tri pod to hold the camera still :) :) :) will GIT back to you soon, I want to send you one with the landing gear installed and the machine guns, Take care, Chellie

rcav8r
02-09-2007, 04:17 AM
Hay Chellie; It's really coming along!!!! Love the paint job. Hope I can get mine on the C123 1/2 as nice ( thanks for the plug BtW), then again it's looking good in pink :D

CHELLIE
02-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Hi Everyone :) I am attempting to make a landing gear for the DR1, I am making it out of wood dowels and thin plywood, the landing gear will be glued in with 30 min epoxy, here is what I have So Far, wish me luck ;) Chellie

proffcharlie
02-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Looks GREAT !!! I wish I would ave seen your post sooner. Somewhere in my storage I have one of the Stick And Tissue kits from either Gillow or Comet (I think Gillow). Could have possibilly saved you some headaches. I have to work tomorrow but on the way home I'll try to stop by the storage center and pick up the kit. From there I'll try to scan the plans and attach the file to an email for you. I would use an email because I have no idea of how to put them in this forum. Shoot me a quick email at proffcharlie12@yahoo.com so I have your address. With the plans you can see how the gear is set up. I know you already have the basic gear set made but it might have been lighter if you had used either carbon fiber rods or thin piano wire sandwitched between balsa or foam planks.Don't forget to make the airfoil that goes between the wheels. I always wondered why it was not called a Quadplane instead of a Triplane.

Charlie

CHELLIE
02-11-2007, 03:03 AM
Hi Everyone :) Finally got the landing gear done :p used some aileron balsa for the wing between the wheels, using the wheels from my retired F4U corsair,Well thats the best I can do :) It seems to be strong, but time will tell and so will my flying ;) here are a few more pics of the finished landing gear, Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
02-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Hi Charlie :) your sweet :) I finally got the Landing gear together, I think it will be ok, it seems to be very strong, only time and my flying will tell :) I dont want you to go out of your way, I Greatly appreiate your offer, Thank you very very much, Thank you for the complements :) Take care and have fun, Chellie

degreen60
02-11-2007, 04:53 AM
I posted some pictures of the landing gear on my triplane on the other thread for you.

My triplane wants to meet your triplane over the Western front.

Don

CHELLIE
02-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Hi Don :) Thank you for the pics, I used your plane as a pattern for my landing gear, It gave me some good ideas, Our triplanes will meet over the western front, If I can just figure out how to make the machine guns shoot through the prop :D :D :D Take car & happy landings to you, Chellie

degreen60
02-11-2007, 05:08 AM
I been expermenting on how to make a good looking lite wheel. I made some from foam and had trouble foam breaking at the axle bearing. I think I have solved that problem. Each wheel is made of 4 disks from thin foam dinner plates. It seems to be a lot stronger foam and has a coating on both sides. I glued everything together with Gorilla glue. Axle bearings are hollow plastic stick from cotton swab. Tires are foam tape weatherstrip. The weather strip is rather soft so I hang my plane so it don't flatten one side. Thought you might like to try making better looking wheels for your triplane. I landed hard enough to break a bamboo landing leg but it did no damage to the wheels. Another idea I had about wheels was to just glue the foam disk on each side of GWS wheels but I haven't tried it sence I like the ones I made. Don

degreen60
02-11-2007, 05:13 AM
I found somewhere on the net about making guns from foam. Take a tube, I used brass, sharpen it on the end and push it through some dense foam. Push the foam out of the tube and use it to make the front of the gun. You maybe able to see it on mine. I don't go all out to make it look real just something on there in case you fly where someone can see it. If you want to take time you could even make it look like it has holes in the cooling jacket.

CHELLIE
02-11-2007, 05:26 AM
I found somewhere on the net about making guns from foam. Take a tube, I used brass, sharpen it on the end and push it through some dense foam. Push the foam out of the tube and use it to make the front of the gun. You maybe able to see it on mine. I don't go all out to make it look real just something on there in case you fly where someone can see it. If you want to take time you could even make it look like it has holes in the cooling jacket.

Thats a good Idea, Thank you Don, those will be very light weight, I am trying to keep the AUW to 24 oz, I think I Might Make it :) I like my planes a little on the heavy side, so it will not just stall and fall out of the air if i turn off the throttle, I like my planes to glide some with throttle off, not always possible, but i try, to make it that way, Thank you for all of the Ideas, thats what I like about this Forum, Everyone is so helpful & sweet, Take care & happy landings to you, Chellie

degreen60
02-11-2007, 05:40 AM
I don't know what my planes weights but sence I fly outdoors over a hill side I want enough weight I can fly in a light wind and enough power to pull up out of a down draft which I always have from the trees or hill. I was using a 350 with D gearing but wanted to try brushless. I tried a 2410-09 but didn't have the power I wanted. I installed a GWBLM005B with B gearing and 8 nimh. I just had to try it today. 12F but it flew ok. I think the pilot in the triplane hates me now. HAHA Oh yea, gear and wheels held up to my landing on frozen ground.

CHELLIE
02-11-2007, 05:53 AM
I don't know what my planes weights but sence I fly outdoors over a hill side I want enough weight I can fly in a light wind and enough power to pull up out of a down draft which I always have from the trees or hill. I was using a 350 with D gearing but wanted to try brushless. I tried a 2410-09 but didn't have the power I wanted. I installed a GWBLM005B with B gearing and 8 nimh. I just had to try it today. 12F but it flew ok. I think the pilot in the triplane hates me now. HAHA Oh yea, gear and wheels held up to my landing on frozen ground.

If your looking for brushless motor and esc. servos etc. Give Heads Up Rc a try, he is a EBay seller, a lot of the members here, have had a lot of good luck with jeff at Heads up rc, and his prices, you just cant beat them, he has a lot of info on his pages as far as thrust of his motors with different props, Check out his store, you will be glad you did, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/2836-10-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric-Motor_W0QQitemZ220069000424QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3405 6QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-12T-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric-Motor_W0QQitemZ220068729013QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3405 6QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOUR-SERVOS-Tower-Pro-SG90-9-gram-Mini-Servo_W0QQitemZ220077963576QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3405 6QQcmdZViewItem

degreen60
02-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Why don't you try making a cowl to fit the plane. The fokker tri had "eye" openings in the front. Some were even painted to look like eyes. Here is how I made my cowl for my triplane. I hold it in place with 2 tooth picks as guide rods and magnets hold it to the plane. I cut a disk of foam the outside dia I wanted the cowl. Then I cut a strip of foam the with I wanted the cowl minus the thickness of the disk I just cut. Now I cut 2 disks the dia of the cowl minus the thickness of the strip I made. Glue the large disk and one of the smaller disk together for the front of the cowl. Now wrap and glue the strip you cut around the smaller disks, one at the front, one at the back. After glue dries sand front of cowl to shape. Cut away everything not needed. I made mine from meat tray foam. Ditn't even have to paint it. If you need I can scan in the shape of the Fokker tri cowl and attach here. Don

degreen60
02-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Wonder how close these free plans match the DR1 you built.
http://www.totalerc.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=24

proffcharlie
02-11-2007, 07:35 PM
You can make really light weight cowls and canopies from 2 and 3 litre soft drink bottles. Find something sturdy in the shape and size you need or carve the shape in balsa,make a plaster cast or something of that nature. Cut the bottom off of the soda bottle and slide the rest over the "plug" you made and then heat it with your head gun. The soft drink bottle will shrink around the plug just like electrical shrink wrap. I leave the bottle neck on before shrinking and after heating it to shape I put a small hole in the cap and blow compressed air in to release the casting from the plug. You can sand the casting with fine sand paper and almost any paint will stick to it. Wipe down the inside of the casting with alcohol and you can paint the inside with the lexan paints the car guys use and you have a high gloss finish. Use a 7-Up bottle and you have a tinted canopy. Oh, by the way, it does not have to be a soda bottle. Any of the polycarbobnate drink and food bottles will work. The hard part is carving the "plug". When the bottle shrinks it displaces a pretty firm pressure on the plug. A sheeted balsa plug would likely collaspe under the pressure. Styrofoam plugs would collaspe due to the heat if not the pressure. Another little quirk of this method is the polycarbonate does not readily form around a concave surface. It just wants to stretch accross the cavity. If you have this type of area you have to use a "negative sub plug" to push the heated polycarbonate into place as it cools but it can be done. Well that's it for now, back to work before the lights go out. I would hope that by now Y'all have figure out that you have to overlook my spelling sometimes. That was my worstest subjake in skhul ya!!

Charlie

CHELLIE
02-12-2007, 02:42 AM
Thank you Don & Charlie for the Ideas, they will come in handy, The plans that you sent and the picture looks a lot like my plane :) cool , this was my first WW1 build but not my last :) I learned a lot from the Members here on Wattflyers, and will use that info on future builts, I like the ideas on the cowl, my next build will be a sopwith camel, or a SE5A , i like the SE5A, it only has 2 wings :) that should be fun, but first lets see how well I did on this DR1 :) Take care & Have fun, Chellie

aviatordave
02-12-2007, 05:52 AM
The plane looks great Chellie! I just gotta ask - how nervous are you going to be flying this?

(I'd be nervous!)

Dave

CHELLIE
02-12-2007, 06:12 AM
The plane looks great Chellie! I just gotta ask - how nervous are you going to be flying this?

(I'd be nervous!)

Dave

Hi Dave :) I am always nervous taking off a plane, I dont get settled down, untill its trimed out, and on a maiden even more nervous :D
I normally settle my nerves with a margarita or 2 or 3 after the flights, not before :D Take care, Chellie

proffcharlie
02-12-2007, 07:05 AM
I went back and read your Dr-1 build from the start. Just a few thoughts on weight savings. Did you say you used bass wood in the wings to have something to screw into? Use a hard piece of balsa drill the hole for the screws one drill size smaller than the screw. Gently thread the screw into the hole a few times then remove it and dribble CA quick set glue down the hole and let it cure for about 10 minutes. Then gently thread the screws in and out again a few time. The CA will harden the balsa to the point of being almost as hard as the bass wood and the balsa is WAY lighter. If you have a high stress spot that a screw needs to anchor drill a hole at least twice the diameter of the screw then glue a plug of pine wood dowl rod in the hole. Then do the same threading trick with the CA. This pine wood plug trick also works well anywhere a control horn has to attach to a foam or thin balsa surface.

On my Ultrafly 300 foamie I pulled the landing gear out of the fuse on a hard landing. This is a hollowed out styro chunk fuse not a flat foamie. They use a .065 bent music wire main gear that slips into a plastic slotted receiver plate that is epoxied into the fuse. Well the thin wire actually tears through the plastic and breaks the receiver block. The plastic is too thin to handle the stress. To cure this I slotted a 3/8x3/8 section of balsa stick then glued it to a 1/16 thick lite-ply plate. Now here's the trick. Soak the balsa with CA so that it completely saturates the balsa and let it dry. Then I wraped the balsa block section with kevlar thread and then soaked it with CA again. After everything was dry I epoxied the assembly into the fuse. Now I can fly the plane off of the grass runway at our field and the gear takes the stress of taxing out of and into the pits as well as landings with no problem. According to my micro scale my wood design weighs less than the plastic unit that came with the plane.

For light wheels make the wheel center out of a balsa disc. Use the head of a pop rivet for the hub and glue it to the balsa. You can find revets with a center hole down to less than 1/16 at a good auto supply house or hardware store. While you're at the hardware store get a section of foam water pipe insulation. You can find some of these insulation tubes that are seamless. Cut a thin "donut" of foam off the end of the tube and glue it onto the balsa wheel and there you have a light wheel. If you want to get crazy you can slot the balsa wheel to make spokes or paint it silver then draw the spokes in with a Sharpie. Boy O Boy I love me them Sharpies!!

Charlie

CHELLIE
02-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Thank you Charlie :) your right, after I got all the wigs done and all secured together, the 3 wings tied to one another, makes for a very solid assembly, I did not have to use bass wood, I mostly make mono wing planes, and thats a different story, but having 3 wings and connected together, I now see thats its much stronger than it has to be, I learned,
to save some weight next time I will use balsa on a multi wing plane, live and learn :) Take care, Chellie

degreen60
02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Another thing that makes multi wings stronger is to add flying and landing wires. I think it makes the planes look better too. But I don't think the DR1 used wires. One thing I have found about first flight with a foam airplane is how well they bounce and how fast and easy to fix the breaks. Don

CHELLIE
02-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Hi Everyone, well I had a glass of wine to steady my nerves, so i can take some more pics :D :D :D ok ok so I just had a glass of wine then :rolleyes: here are some more pics of the DR1, Its done, except for the servos, and I should have that done tomorrow, the machine guns were made from some straws, and the black lacing around the cockpit, came off of my old Girdle :D :D :D Really, Take care, Chellie

Balil
02-14-2007, 06:15 AM
great looking DR1 chellie some of us are expecting a full set of plans ;)

CHELLIE
02-14-2007, 06:29 AM
great looking DR1 chellie some of us are expecting a full set of plans ;)

Hi Balil :) Degreen60 sent me these plans of a FOKKER, they are even better than my scratch built, Take care,Chellie

http://www.totalerc.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=24

Balil
02-14-2007, 06:34 AM
meh i hate getting stuck in the middle of a midnight build :( i also hate 2 channel planes, but ive burned out all of my friggin ESC's attempting to get my profile yak-54 off the ground... apparently i bought a motor that draws more amps than the ESC allows..

CHELLIE
02-14-2007, 06:45 AM
meh i hate getting stuck in the middle of a midnight build :( i also hate 2 channel planes, but ive burned out all of my friggin ESC's attempting to get my profile yak-54 off the ground... apparently i bought a motor that draws more amps than the ESC allows..

Hi Balil :) I always over kill the ESC, use a bigger ESC than you battery or motor is, that way, your ESC will never be a point of resistance, and get hot, I always use a 30 amp ESC, my lipos and motors are not that high, the ESC IS JUST CRUISIN. and the motor will take what ever the battery can give it, Cheap insurance, also check out Heads Up Rc, he is a safe E Bay Seller, you cant beat his prices, and the shipping is only 2.00 if you buy 1 item or 100 items the shipping is just 2 bucks :) here is his links, and tell jeff at Heads Up Rc that, Chellie sent you :D Also, if you have any questions, Jeff is very very smart, and can answer your questions and point you in the right direction, Take care.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-12T-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric-Motor_W0QQitemZ220068729013QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3405 6QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14499&highlight=HEADS+Up+Rc

Balil
02-14-2007, 06:48 AM
i think i went with a 15a esc, meh i dunno its burnt so bad you cant even see the writing on the thing. and as far as prices my LHS gives me lower than retail prices on most everything... ex. people buying the Hz supercub for $160, i pay $100 for it.

Airhead
02-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi Everyone, well I had a glass of wine to steady my nerves, so i can take some more pics :D :D :D ok ok so I just had a glass of wine then :rolleyes: here are some more pics of the DR1, Its done, except for the servos, and I should have that done tomorrow, the machine guns were made from some straws, and the black lacing around the cockpit, came off of my old Girdle :D :D :D Really, Take care, Chellie
Morning Chellie,

Your plane came out excellent!! Thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. :)
Myself, with my current track record would be afraid to fly it....
Good Job!

Balil
02-14-2007, 07:05 AM
bruce the ONLY bird i have that hasnt met the ground in a way that it isnt designed for is my giant yak, and that thing literally floats in for landings. so my track records on the smaller birds isnt that great either

CHELLIE
02-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Good morning Bruce :) thank you for the complements :) I am not afraid to fly it, It was ment to fly :) just need to get the servos in and adjusted, and take her out, I say her, because this build was a real B :)
it should be fun, Take care, Chellie

Grasshopper
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Very nice job Chellie! I'll bet it will look great in the air. Make sure and have someone take some pictures of it in flight and let us know how the maiden goes.

degreen60
02-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Nice thing about foam plane, they bounce and repair easy. My Albatross has broke in two twice just behind the cockpit, had one wing tip broke off. Had both wings broken off the other side and the nose crushed. All at differant times. Gorilla does wonders if you want to wait on the repairs a day else use 5 min epoxy and go back to flying. And I have 3 more that have about the same tales to tell and they are all still flying. Its not the falling out the sky, its the sudden stop. HAHA

aviatordave
02-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Quite a plane. You have super powers...:eek: the way you can levitate that thing to take pics. I'll have to try the wine when I do pics..lol :)

Good luck on the maiden...hopefully you can video it for us all!

Dave

CHELLIE
02-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Hi Tom ,Hi Dave :) thank you for the complements, I sure will take some pics of the maiden, wont be drinking any wine on the maiden thats for sure, :) maybe after, Ok Ok I will have a drink or two after the Maiden to celebrate :) Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
02-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Hi Don :) I hope I dont break it in two, thats for sure :) :) :) Take care, Chellie

Airhead
02-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi Chellie,

I think a little wine would help my maiden flights and maybe would help me not to whine too much..
Good luck with yours...;)

all_up_in_the_air
02-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Love the plane Chellie. I look forward to hearing about the maiden. If it were mine, I'd sit and look at it for about a month before I risked it! :)

CHELLIE
02-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Love the plane Chellie. I look forward to hearing about the maiden. If it were mine, I'd sit and look at it for about a month before I risked it! :)

Hi Jeff :) thats a good idea, but all of my planes are ment to fly, if they dont fly very well, then they see the big round file outside :D :D :D I am installing the servos today, so maybe tomorrow it will see some sky ;) Take care and have fun, Chellie

aviatordave
02-17-2007, 02:45 AM
So tomorrow is D-Day.......umm I mean thats when are you going to fly it!

So Cal always has nice weather...right? Sunny, warm, no wind.....good luck and stay with it!

CHELLIE
02-17-2007, 03:37 AM
So tomorrow is D-Day.......umm I mean thats when are you going to fly it!

So Cal always has nice weather...right? Sunny, warm, no wind.....good luck and stay with it!

Hi Dave :) Yes tomorrow is the day :) wish me luck, I am making a foamy delta wing plane to take with me too, never flown a delts wing before so it should be fun, its one of those quick build foamy combat planes, building it from pictures too :) here is a pic of how it should look like after I am done with it, It was a beautiful day today, 85 degrees, no wind, hope its like that tomorrow too, Take care, Chellie

ps my quicky Delta build

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16298

degreen60
02-17-2007, 12:28 PM
If you would attach wires to all the deltas in the picture so they would fly as one large plane, it would look like they were flying in formation.

Hi Dave :) Yes tomorrow is the day :) wish me luck, I am making a foamy delta wing plane to take with me too, never flown a delts wing before so it should be fun, its one of those quick build foamy combat planes, building it from pictures too :) here is a pic of how it should look like after I am done with it, It was a beautiful day today, 85 degrees, no wind, hope its like that tomorrow too, Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
02-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi Don :) Yes that would look Kewl, all flying together, I wanted to fly my DR1 today, but its a little windy, about 10 mph winds, I dont want to chance a maiden with a multi wing in the wind, I will see how it is later today, Take care, Chellie

ps Don check out my Super Quick Delta wing build

WingTips24
02-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Chellie,

Fantastic work, very impressive!

Tips

degreen60
02-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't remember what mag I saw the artical in but a long time ago I did see an artical where someone did hook up several deltas with a gas engine and they flew attached like they were in formation. It was propably in the 70s or 80s. It had an engine on the front and it flew like one large plane.

Hi Don :) Yes that would look Kewl, all flying together, I wanted to fly my DR1 today, but its a little windy, about 10 mph winds, I dont want to chance a maiden with a multi wing in the wind, I will see how it is later today, Take care, Chellie

ps Don check out my Super Quick Delta wing build

CHELLIE
02-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Don :) it was raining yesterday, and I had nothing better to do, Soooo I built a SlowStick, it was fun, i wanted something to putt around with, and later take aerial pictures with, I had some odds and ends around here, so i threw them all together :) and came up with this, here is the link to my build, Enjoy, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

degreen60
02-21-2007, 06:06 AM
I don't have to worry about what to build when it rains. Seems like everytime the weather gets nice enough to fly I spend the next day repairing my planes. HAHA. Maybe one of these days I will learn how to land on grass and not hit things. It was kind of nice today, overcast, no wind, and in the 40s so I took the triplane out. It really flew nice with the brushless motor. It started to rain so I was in a hurry to land and hit the martin house pole. So I spend my free time today repairing the cowl. This summer I can land easyer, Ill just dump in the the hay field and let the tall grass catch it. HAHA

Hi Don :) it was raining yesterday, and I had nothing better to do, Soooo I built a SlowStick, it was fun, i wanted something to putt around with, and later take aerial pictures with, I had some odds and ends around here, so i threw them all together :) and came up with this, here is the link to my build, Enjoy, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

CHELLIE
02-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi Don :) just get yourself a big lawn mower and cut yourself out a nice landing strip, and take off in the hay field :) bet the neighbors would love you :) Take care & have fun, Chellie

JWilliams
02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
That looks spectacular, very nice work[wo]manship!

Maine_flyer
02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
awesome looking fokker!:D the maiden should be a hoot!.. nice work

CHELLIE
02-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Thank you JWilliams, Thank you Maine Flyer, for the complements :) I will Maiden it soon, and get some video of it too, I just ordered a cannon powershots video camera with a 12x zoom, movies be soon,Soooo break out the popcorn :) take care, Chellie

aviatordave
02-21-2007, 11:47 PM
aww man.....I was hoping for a maiden today.....

oh well - I'll check back....often!

Dave

CHELLIE
02-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Hi Dave :) you will be the first to know how the maiden went :) or second. I will be the first :) Take care, Chellie

degreen60
02-23-2007, 01:29 AM
Have you seen the decal that looks like a engine spinning? Thought you might like to install one in your DR1. You can find it on the net. I got a Wattage Camel and one comes with it. I am starting the Camel build now with mods. Glueing CF strips in wing instead of using the fiber glass rods that came with the kit. I think the CF will be stronger and lighter. Watch out next time you have the DR1 in the air I may have snoopy looking for you.

Hi Dave :) you will be the first to know how the maiden went :) or second. I will be the first :) Take care, Chellie

bowtie hi
02-26-2007, 02:17 AM
Hey Girl ! I'm sill waiting to hear about the maiden. Guess your weather has been as bad as here. Seen lots of clouds on TV at the Nascar race. Woke up to heavy rain here and when it went away the wind blew hard.

Happy Landings

Ken

aviatordave
02-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Geez...I've been without electricity for a couple days and figured you would have flown. So I didnt miss anything during the Iowa Blizzard? Hope you are enjoying the So. Cal sun as we have none here! :p

Dave :)

CHELLIE
02-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Geez...I've been without electricity for a couple days and figured you would have flown. So I didnt miss anything during the Iowa Blizzard? Hope you are enjoying the So. Cal sun as we have none here! :p

Dave :)

Hi Dave :) glad to hear that you got you utilities back on, Camera has not come in yet, just ordered a cannon powershot S3IS, should be here by this weekend I Hope, and a 1GB card for it,Is Been raining off and on here, but not to bad, I came down with a Flu Bug, so that has me inside,making a mess building some more planes :D soooo have not maiden the DR1 yet, soon, I want to see it fly too, but I want to have video of it too, working a little on my Slow stick, I just need to get some bigger wheels for it, to take off in the grass with, and install the servos, thats about it with that, and my F111, I might try to come up with a automatic, wing retract, something like Rusty at RC Products did on his prototyps, so Rusty gave me an Idea on how to go auto retract at half throttle, I will just need to think about it over a glass or 2 of wine to get my mind clear :D I think its just a matter of getting the right tention with springs, to hold the wings open, then air pressure and G force, will close the wings, i Hope :) Take care, Chellie

degreen60
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I nosed the triplane in a little too hard and busted the foam cowl I had made. Instead of repairing it I thought I would try making one by shrinking a 2 liter bottle. I found an old metal cowl that is the right size. I filled it with plaster so the bottle could not collaspe it. I then tried the heat gun but the bottle would not shrink enough to form the front of the cowl so I put it in the oven. I had to raise the temp to 500 before it would shrink around the front of the cowl. Now I have a nice looking light plastic cowl.
Don

You can make really light weight cowls and canopies from 2 and 3 litre soft drink bottles. Find something sturdy in the shape and size you need or carve the shape in balsa,make a plaster cast or something of that nature. Cut the bottom off of the soda bottle and slide the rest over the "plug" you made and then heat it with your head gun. The soft drink bottle will shrink around the plug just like electrical shrink wrap. I leave the bottle neck on before shrinking and after heating it to shape I put a small hole in the cap and blow compressed air in to release the casting from the plug. You can sand the casting with fine sand paper and almost any paint will stick to it. Wipe down the inside of the casting with alcohol and you can paint the inside with the lexan paints the car guys use and you have a high gloss finish. Use a 7-Up bottle and you have a tinted canopy. Oh, by the way, it does not have to be a soda bottle. Any of the polycarbobnate drink and food bottles will work. The hard part is carving the "plug". When the bottle shrinks it displaces a pretty firm pressure on the plug. A sheeted balsa plug would likely collaspe under the pressure. Styrofoam plugs would collaspe due to the heat if not the pressure. Another little quirk of this method is the polycarbonate does not readily form around a concave surface. It just wants to stretch accross the cavity. If you have this type of area you have to use a "negative sub plug" to push the heated polycarbonate into place as it cools but it can be done. Well that's it for now, back to work before the lights go out. I would hope that by now Y'all have figure out that you have to overlook my spelling sometimes. That was my worstest subjake in skhul ya!!

Charlie

CHELLIE
02-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Don :) You Rascals have all kinds of neet tricks up your sleeves :D that neet, that your able to make a part that gets broken, I am waiting on my video camera to come in so i can take some maided videos of my DR1, I did not make it to be a hanger Queen by no means :rolleyes: its was ment to fly and fly it will, soon, maybe by this weekend, it will be here, take care and have fun, Chellie

aviatordave
03-02-2007, 03:45 AM
I think you will like that camera you ordered, I have the S2IS, prob the model before yours. I only get ~3 min video on a 512 mb card, but it is awesome video - the best compared too my optios. You will like it, I take mine to football games and with the 48X zoom in movie mode you can tell what the other coach is planning.

where did you get it from?

Dave

CHELLIE
03-02-2007, 07:23 AM
I think you will like that camera you ordered, I have the S2IS, prob the model before yours. I only get ~3 min video on a 512 mb card, but it is awesome video - the best compared too my optios. You will like it, I take mine to football games and with the 48X zoom in movie mode you can tell what the other coach is planning.

where did you get it from?

Dave

Hi dave :) I got my New camera online at wisetronic.com for 279.99 and I picked up a 1 GB ultra II secure ditital card for 20.99 at Amazon .com, here are the links, the camera went up 10.00, still not bad. and the card, went up 4.00, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wisetronics.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=s3is&Extensive_Search=Y

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDH-1024-901-Secure-Digital-Package/dp/B00065AO0K/ref=pd_sim_p_1/105-0796059-0824408

syberjunkie
03-02-2007, 01:59 PM
oddly enough, I am currently in the market for that same cam, did you have good luck with that store you ordered from? My sis has the 3S and loves it.

CHELLIE
03-02-2007, 07:14 PM
oddly enough, I am currently in the market for that same cam, did you have good luck with that store you ordered from? My sis has the 3S and loves it.

Hi Syberjunkie :) I just ordered it a few days ago, and they said it should be delivered in 7 to 10 days, so far so good, say away from digital espo, spelled espo wrong on purpose, they had the canon PS s3is for 279.00 I called them, they said that was there refurbish price and a new camera was 349.00, it does not say refurbished any where on the digital espo web page, bait & switch tactic, they did not get my money, wisetronic was the same price for new, I called on the camera, so far so good :) camera is not here yet, only been 4 to 5 days, also found a great deal for a 1 GB card too, take care, Chellie

bowtie hi
03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Chellie
I was going to ask you if it was a refurb. or new. I'm looking myself but don't want to spend 2/3 of my disability check. But I sure like what I see on yours (camera) DOM . Happy Building & Landings

Ken

ElectricFlyGuy
03-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Another very nice job you are doing!!!!!!!! Scott;)

GITech001
03-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi Chellie,

How is your DR1 maiden coming along? It is such a beutiful build I want to see it in the air!!! ;) :D

Hey everyone...lets encourage Chellie to GIT on it! :D

:p Just kidding! :cool: Did you GIT to fly durring your vacation day...or was that today? I don't remember :o :D

Anyway...how are you?

CHELLIE
03-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi Chellie,

How is your DR1 maiden coming along? It is such a beutiful build I want to see it in the air!!! ;) :D

Hey everyone...lets encourage Chellie to GIT on it! :D

:p Just kidding! :cool: Did you GIT to fly durring your vacation day...or was that today? I don't remember :o :D

Anyway...how are you?

Hi Jay :) I am still waiting for my cannon powershots camera to come in, its on back order, it has a nice 12x power zoom so it will be able to take videos very well, it will be soon, take care, chellie

FlyingMonkey
04-22-2007, 03:39 AM
Hi Jay :) I am still waiting for my cannon powershots camera to come in, its on back order, it has a nice 12x power zoom so it will be able to take videos very well, it will be soon, take care, chellie

I registered, just so I could ask how the maiden went......

CHELLIE
04-22-2007, 05:09 AM
I registered, just so I could ask how the maiden went......

Hi Photohikedive :) And Welcome to Wattflyers, Well finally my camera came in, and I am having a hard time trying to find someone that is able to keep my airplane in the camera lens when flying it, Sooooo, what I am doing now is making a helmet cam, I am using my bicycle helmet, and mounting my camera to that, I am using a old tripod that I had and using some of the camera mounts/swivel stuff from that, to mount the camera to the helmet, wish me luck, I am doing that right now, waiting for the glue to dry, so i can test it, it will also have a sight from the helmet to the front of the face, so I will be able to aim it better, I spent about half the day today, researching helmet cams, from stores and DIY helmet cams on google, and I think I got enough info to try to make one :D Take care, and check back latter, I should have some video of the DR1 soon, Chellie

Balil
04-22-2007, 05:13 AM
chellie you gonna zoom in on the bird, or are you gonna keep it at a semi low altitude?

CHELLIE
04-22-2007, 05:19 AM
chellie you gonna zoom in on the bird, or are you gonna keep it at a semi low altitude?

Hi Balil :) I think i will try a medium zoom on the camera and keep it at a semi low altitude, that might work, I will just have to try different things, and see what works the best, Chellie

Biplane Murphy
08-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Hi Chellie.....Sweet Tripe.....I like all your building tricks....and custom tools!!:)

It's neat to see the foam stuff (all my planes are balsa built-up arfs and kits...except my 2 glow power combat planes)

When you get yours in the air, and I finish my tripe, We'll have to fly some sorties against those peske SE5a's:Q Oh wait:< I have one of those too;-)

If it flies 1/2 as beautifully as it looks...........:)

CHELLIE
08-10-2007, 04:04 AM
Hi Chellie.....Sweet Tripe.....I like all your building tricks....and custom tools!!:)

It's neat to see the foam stuff (all my planes are balsa built-up arfs and kits...except my 2 glow power combat planes)

When you get yours in the air, and I finish my tripe, We'll have to fly some sorties against those peske SE5a's:Q Oh wait:< I have one of those too;-)

If it flies 1/2 as beautifully as it looks...........:)

Thank you for the complements Murphy :ws: the tail would not lift up on a taxi test, so i need to make the elevator a little bigger, no problem, Take care, Chellie

Voyager2lcats
08-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey Chellie,

I can't believe I missed this thread. You have done a spectacular job of documenting your build. Outstanding work. I have seen some of your other posts, so I know how proficient you are. Did you fly it yet?

Bob

CHELLIE
08-28-2007, 03:42 AM
Hey Chellie,

I can't believe I missed this thread. You have done a spectacular job of documenting your build. Outstanding work. I have seen some of your other posts, so I know how proficient you are. Did you fly it yet?

Bob

Hi Bob :) Thank you for the complements :) I did some taxi test on it, and could not get the tail to come up, Soooo i need to make the elevator a little bigger, hope to get that done soon, I am running out of receivers for my planes :ws: having to borrow receiver from one plane to get another one to fly :Q Oh well, I was thinking about trying the corona receivers, have you tried those, I am using the hitec Micro O5S receivers right now with a JR Comp. radio, it works very well, but have heard from some people that the corona receivers are just as good, for less money, maybe i will try one soon, to find out, Did you get a chance to see my Mavrick Bi Plane build, I am almost done getting the Bi Plane adjusted and flying the way I would like it to fly, Its made by RC Products, Rusty does a real nice job making foamy kits that are great fliers, here is the build if your interested, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23408

Airhead
08-28-2007, 04:47 AM
It is a sweet plane Chellie. Its nice to hear from you. So, you are going to knock off a receiver store.. huh? I can't wait till you fix that elevator and stab so you can get her in the air......
Have fun:ws:

Voyager2lcats
08-28-2007, 04:50 AM
Chellie,

I haven't used the Coronas or the Hitec receivers, but I have read good reports on the Coronas. I am using GWS, and Blue Arrow receivers at the moment- they are relatively inexpensive (Got the Blue Arrow 5-channel on sale; yeah baby!). I have seen your Mavrick, and it is something that I would definitely be in the running for. It's a biplane, so that gives it a thumbs-up from me right there. My flying skills are worse than FlyingMonkey's, so it might be a while (FM is going to have some severe punishment for me after that last remark; probably catching little FlyingMonkies and washing them with my tongue- ugh!). I am working (if you can call it that) on a very slow construction of a foamie 32" wing span SE5a from a build thread on RCG. More on that at a later time. Once again, you do superlative work.

Bob

CHELLIE
08-28-2007, 04:53 AM
It is a sweet plane Chellie. Its nice to hear from you. So, you are going to knock off a receiver store.. huh? I can't wait till you fix that elevator and stab so you can get her in the air......
Have fun:ws:

Hi Bruce :ws: Nice to see you here again ;-) Hope you got most of that unpacking done, I hate moving, its such a pain :< But i must admit, i do find a lot of stuff, I knew i had :Q Take care and Stay Sweet, Chellie

CHELLIE
08-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Chellie,

I haven't used the Coronas or the Hitec receivers, but I have read good reports on the Coronas. I am using GWS, and Blue Arrow receivers at the moment- they are relatively inexpensive (Got the Blue Arrow 5-channel on sale; yeah baby!). I have seen your Mavrick, and it is something that I would definitely be in the running for. It's a biplane, so that gives it a thumbs-up from me right there. My flying skills are worse than FlyingMonkey's, so it might be a while (FM is going to have some severe punishment for me after that last remark; probably catching little FlyingMonkies and washing them with my tongue- ugh!). I am working (if you can call it that) on a very slow construction of a foamie 32" wing span SE5a from a build thread on RCG. More on that at a later time. Once again, you do superlative work.

Bob

Thank again Bob ;-) Here is a very tough plane that is a great trainer, its the Mavrick 2 mono plane, you can power it with a cheapy 2408-21 and a 7x6 prop and a 1200mah 3 cell lipo, the plane cost $12.00 for a foam only kit, and a little more for a complete kit, Rusty is going to be selling a ARF version of the Mavrick 2 and the Mavrick Bi Plane also, starting Sept 1,
the Mavrick 2 will really sharpen your flying skills, and is very forgiving, I apply 2" strip of fiberglass strapping tape on the top and bottom of the wing, from wing tip to wing tip, and it is very very strong that way, you will have a hard time trying to hurt it :ws: here is a thread and info that will tell you more about it, if your interested,Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16298&page=24

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16298&page=26
TppJR aka Thomas :ws: did a video on the Mavrick II on this page, towards the bottom, check it out, he did some nice flying with it,

proffcharlie
09-08-2007, 10:53 AM
If I have the dates correct between the threads, you more than likely ordered your receivers but I'll throw this out anyway. I have a Corona but have not put it to use as yet. I have used the FMA Quantum receivers and they are bullet proof as far as I can tell. Put one in my U CAN DO 3D 46 glow when I had problems with the Futuba receiver. The range check was 250 ft with the trans. antenna all the way down. That was with the 4 stroke running and the plane on the ground. Best thing was that at 250 feet when it did loose signal every thing just stayed where it was as if a failsafe took over. No gliching or jumping control surfaces. Took one step forward and everything responded like I would have been 5 feet away. I had problems with a Hitech in a Zaggi and used on of these FMAs and now it is rock solid. The only reason I bought the Corona was because it was at the LHS and the price was right. I received an email from FMA last week that their Quantum is now $39.95 for the 8 channel and that's a dual conversion unit. If you have not bought yet check them out at FMA Direct.
Charlie

FlyingMonkey
09-08-2007, 12:26 PM
My flying skills are worse than FlyingMonkey's, so it might be a while

Bob

just rremember...

SEFF 08........

Geoffrito
09-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Nice job! Don's is probably cooler, but that's just because it's british (and has to be =P). That's a nice looking plane though, hope you can get it to fly :D

CHELLIE
09-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Hi Geoffrito :) Thank you for the complements, Its been on the back burner for a little while, I need to make the elevator a little bigger then do some more testing with it, as far as the wing load , a chart that I used said it was in the sports flyer category, Take care, Chellie