PDA

View Full Version : Sniff Sniff, I'll miss you guys!!!

Crash Test Dummy
01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
I started a new job last week. They have the internet locked down tighter than an Alabama tick!!! No Wattflyer for me at work anymore.:(
I wish I was a Techy guy I'd find a way around it, but I'm not so I just have to deal with it, sigh!! I work an average of 49 hours a week so my posting is going to slow WAY down.:mad: Don't get me wrong, I am very glad to have this job, but there is a lot of down time where I have the time to surf and post, but NOOOOO! I can only go to industry related web sites and the weather.com site. At least I can see if the winds are down so I could go out at lunch for a flight or two. Now I have to recon the aera for a good flying site.

CTD

EpoweredRc
01-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Dang, that bites, I only wished to have a job that involded a computor, lol, Well Hope you will get some flying in and take care, at this point I am not able to post much either. few times a week now.... take care of yourself.

rea59
01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I started a new job last week. They have the internet locked down tighter than an Alabama tick!!! No Wattflyer for me at work anymore.:(
I wish I was a Techy guy I'd find a way around it, but I'm not so I just have to deal with it, sigh!! I work an average of 49 hours a week so my posting is going to slow WAY down.:mad: Don't get me wrong, I am very glad to have this job, but there is a lot of down time where I have the time to surf and post, but NOOOOO! I can only go to industry related web sites and the weather.com site. At least I can see if the winds are down so I could go out at lunch for a flight or two. Now I have to recon the aera for a good flying site.

CTD

CTD,

Most "IS Nazis" are pretty good at locking down systems. One trick they miss though especialy in industrial system is the Google Translator. Google will translate web-pages when you type in the URL. Just set the translator to convert from English to English. As far as "IS" is concerned you went to the translator page not the end web page.

Here is the URL for translating WattFlyer from English to English.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wattflyer.com&langpair=en%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Ray

radralph
01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Hoot! Cool idea.

CTD. I would never have taken that job. :)

Grasshopper
01-24-2007, 12:49 AM
We'll miss you CTD. Sometimes it's a curse having a job where you sit in front of a computer all day. Especially because Wattflyer is WAY more interesting than the Job.

Tireshred
01-24-2007, 12:59 AM
CTD,

Most "IS Nazis" are pretty good at locking down systems. One trick they miss though especialy in industrial system is the Google Translator. Google will translate web-pages when you type in the URL. Just set the translator to convert from English to English. As far as "IS" is concerned you went to the translator page not the end web page.

Here is the URL for translating WattFlyer from English to English.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wattflyer.com&langpair=en%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Ray

That is brilliant! I have to tell my brother that who works for the most locked down place I've seen, and I should know, I worked there for 24 years. Thankfully my new job of 4 years not only knows about my web habits, but encourges them.

Keep your head up CTD, the job must be worth it.

vax6335
01-24-2007, 02:48 AM
That's what it's like at the base I work at. They used to only block rcgroups, then for some reason they become unblocked. Now both WF and RCG are blocked, so I spend my time surfing wikipedia. :o

firemanbill
01-24-2007, 02:50 AM
That's funny Andy cause the only one I can get to is WF. RCU is blocked at our base...

Crash Test Dummy
01-24-2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

rea59,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give that a try. I cant even get to Google or Yahoo or nothing. However I'll try to plug in the address and see.

CTD

rea59
01-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

rea59,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give that a try. I cant even get to Google or Yahoo or nothing. However I'll try to plug in the address and see.

CTD

Now how is a company supposed to survive in a "Global Economy" without giving employees access to search engines.:confused: Although I've never tried it the same trick can probably be used through Alta Vista's Babel Translator.:)

On a different note I hope you enjoy the new job. After all if your not having fun, Why do it?:D

WingTips24
01-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Be strong my brotha we'll find another way, pigeons work well so it may be slow but we'll find a way!

Tips

WaldoXerxes
01-24-2007, 04:29 PM
http://www.anonymousfreeproxy.com/
You could try this, if it is blocked there is quite a long list of other ones here http://www.prospector.cz/Free-Internet-services/Web-proxy/

Crash Test Dummy
01-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all the links. The job is very much worth it. I made my 1st sale Monday it was good for an 800.00 comission!! Yea Baby!!

CTD

Grasshopper
01-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Congrats on the first sale CTD! Are you still in the car business?

Tinman
01-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Good luck at your ned Job CTD! I'm on Watt Flyer all day at my current job BUT i got a new job to that will be away from the computer. Its going to be really tough.

Good luck to you!

MacMyers
01-24-2007, 07:20 PM
CTD.... you might check with the "pros" to see if this still works... but there used to be a thumb drive version of Mozilla Firefox (portable Firefox). It ran from the thumb drive and the typical Internet Exploiter software couldn't spot it. I used it for 2 years. When you shut it down and pulled the drive... no trace. It may be that now they lock things down tighter or through a different IP logging method or something. I'm no longer current enough on networks to tell you.

TeslaWinger
01-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Best not to have your surfing or typing recorded anyway by trying to fool the system. There would still be a record that could get you fired. Everything you say- and the time it took to do it- can be used against you- sooner or later. Free speech takes place on your own time! :O

Congrats on snagging a biggun! That kind of commision can keep your attention and fortify your flying budget! I 'compartmentalize.' At work I am fully there- but the downtime is such a waste of life... with those puffy CUs drifting by the window... Make a killin, man! Then GO FLY!

Crash Test Dummy
01-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Tom,

Yup, I'm selling Lexus for the largest dealer in the midwest region. They are TOP in sales in the aera. Last month they sold out all of there inventory!!! Over 207 new cars and 100 used certified cars!! WOW!! The place is really BIG. In the back we have a 5 story parking garage where they store all the new inventory. Here is a link to our web site, anybody need a new car?? Sorry I had to say that, LOL!!

http://www.woodfield-lexus.com/en_US/

Thanks for all the tips on getting around the IT dept, however I think I'll cool it until I have been there a few months. Then after I prove myself and get past the 90 day trial period.......well maybe then I'll push the envelope a bit. We have 3 computers in the guest lounge. However we are not supposed to use them at all, but every night I see 2 or 3 of the guys there [after service is closed] checking there E-Mail rite in front of the manager and he don't say boo to them!! Hummm!!

My focus is really on my job and making a living, but it would be nice to surf a bit on really slow nights. January is really dead but after the Chicago auto show we start cranking.....BIG TIME all the way through summer into fall and the X-Mas season.

CTD:D

EpoweredRc
01-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Sounds like you have a great job, and thats good advice for yourself, wait untill you have been there for a while before hackign there systems LOL..
Guess you just went to that dealership after being at another one, I alays thought it would be funt o sale car's but then again I dont like pushy sale men LOL ...

Anyways good luck at your new job and well Looks like you still have a pc at home so you wont totallt be gone witch is good.

Tom,

Yup, I'm selling Lexus for the largest dealer in the midwest region. They are TOP in sales in the aera. Last month they sold out all of there inventory!!! Over 207 new cars and 100 used certified cars!! WOW!! The place is really BIG. In the back we have a 5 story parking garage where they store all the new inventory. Here is a link to our web site, anybody need a new car?? Sorry I had to say that, LOL!!

http://www.woodfield-lexus.com/en_US/

Thanks for all the tips on getting around the IT dept, however I think I'll cool it until I have been there a few months. Then after I prove myself and get past the 90 day trial period.......well maybe then I'll push the envelope a bit. We have 3 computers in the guest lounge. However we are not supposed to use them at all, but every night I see 2 or 3 of the guys there [after service is closed] checking there E-Mail rite in front of the manager and he don't say boo to them!! Hummm!!

My focus is really on my job and making a living, but it would be nice to surf a bit on really slow nights. January is really dead but after the Chicago auto show we start cranking.....BIG TIME all the way through summer into fall and the X-Mas season.

CTD:D

Airhead
01-25-2007, 02:47 PM

CTD
This is great news about your new job. Sounds like it will work out really well for you. Interesting stuff about the computer..eh. Well, We'll look forward to communicating with you during your off time.
Good luck...:)

Mike Freas
01-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Because your a sales person one of those expensive phones with web access could be written off on your taxes!

MacMyers
01-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Because your a sales person one of those expensive phones with web access could be written off on your taxes!

There ya go.......:D

Crash Test Dummy
01-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Thats a good Idea Mike. However I just got a new phone, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe down the road I'll look into that.

Now for the news!!

I found a AMA field about 3 miles from the Dealership!! I know what I"m doing on my lunch hour. It is in a HUGH Forest Preserve. I knew it was there years ago before I started flying and I guess I forgot about it until the other day. At least I can go out and get my RC fix from time to time. My regular work week is 49 hours, unless I get stuck working a late sale.

Just a note to all you car buyers........we hate it when you come in to buy a car at the very end of the night. I dont want to seem ungrateful for my cutomers business, but after sitting there ALL DAY LONG the last thing I want to do is work an extra couple of hours. I think people think they will get the transaction over faster or get a better deal if they come in rite before we close. This is not true.

CTD