PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird 18 w/ 4 servos???

alienx
01-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Can I run this ESC with 4 HS-55's? I did recently with no problems on the first flight. But I got a brown-out of sorts on the second flight. The motor wouldn't spool up to full power. It may have nothing to do with the 4 servos, but I am trying to find out from the people that know. I plan to use this ESC with a Park 450 (190 watts), 3S lipo, and 4 Hitec HS-55's.

Am I expecting too much from the ESC?? Any CC ESC's that meet this power and servo requirement by design??

Thanks. Andy

Phoenex
01-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I have been using the same ESC with 4 servos, but less total watts(140) without issue for a couple of years. I suspect there is another issue. At WOT throttle you are really pushing the motor and ESC, make sure you have plenty of cooling on both espcially in the Summer or you'll smell something burning. You may need to prop down just a bit.

alienx
01-23-2007, 04:01 PM
I have been using the same ESC with 4 servos, but less total watts(140) without issue for a couple of years. I suspect there is another issue. At WOT throttle you are really pushing the motor and ESC, make sure you have plenty of cooling on both espcially in the Summer or you'll smell something burning. You may need to prop down just a bit.
I agree on the motor/prop issue. I fly it in the E-flite P47, which loosely translated, suggests this as an OK combo (e-flite 20 amp ESC in place of the CC 18).

I put that set-up in the air on my data logger recently, and fortunately, it spikes at launch at 17 amps, but never significantly broke 14 in flight. I feel better about after that, but I think it needs the 10x7 prop instead of the 10x8. Who knows, maybe an even smaller prop will work. Waiting to see what the weight of the plane ends up being.

And this is going in an Ultrafly P40 which is completely open in the front. Should be great for the ESC and motor.

Thanks for the comfort!

EDIT: I bailed to the E-flite 20 amp for this plane. It is designed for 4 servos. But I would still be interested to getting an education on this ESC's capabilities, or ESC's in general as far as 4 servo set-ups are concerned.