PDA

View Full Version : My Cessna 140-Nearly Ready For Maiden

E-Challenged
01-24-2007, 04:13 AM
Built from a Pat Tritle short kit ( See "One For Tea" thread on RCGroups, E-Zone, Scale Electric forum). Pat's designs are intended to be extremely light for slow scale like flight and landings at near walking speed. Pat doesn't mind stringers showing instead of a smooth skinned aluminum "spam can" look . The C140 is an icon from my childhood so naturally, I inlaid all the stringers and formers from nose to back of cabin area with 1/16 balsa sheet for strength and smooth appearance. I added a basswood "roll bar" structure inside the cabin to strengthen the wing mount/windshield/cowl area. I made a sorta-scale instrument panel. The fuselage is covered with chrome monokote rubbed with a green Scotchbrite scouring pad. I added a carbon rod to stiffen the wings. Wings are covered in much lighter silver Microlite to simulate 1946 silver painted rag wing. The ailerons are operated by two Blue Arrow 4.3 gm servos. The rudder and elevator are operated by two HS-55 servos, rudder is pull-pull and elevator is pushrod operated. Should be ready for maiden in another week.

diablo
01-24-2007, 04:46 AM
Wow, that looks really shiny :)

looks good

dmmalish
01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
that is awsome looking post some video when you maiden it would like to see that chrome in the air:)

E-Challenged
01-25-2007, 06:06 AM
Why are there just 3 little dashes instead of thumbnail pics in my first post, should I tweak something??:confused:

It was my #$% E-Z firewall blocking thumbnails from appearing!!

diablo
01-25-2007, 06:08 AM
They just didn't load, try to refresh the page

E-Challenged
01-25-2007, 06:30 AM
They just didn't load, try to refresh the page

No that didn't do it. Maybe my firewall or other setting is blocking pics. Doesn't do this on RC Groups/E-Zone:confused:

Eric_N57105
01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
No that didn't do it. Maybe my firewall or other setting is blocking pics. Doesn't do this on RC Groups/E-Zone:confused:

Photos look good to me. I'm just finishing up a Tritle Super Cub. I wasn't going to bother with an instrument panel, but after seeing yours, I think I'll add it to the "still to do" list...which never seems to get any smaller.

I made a few concessions to Pat's ultra-light design as well. The Super Cub is a fabric airplane, so I didn't have to worry about planking it. But I must have repaired the 1/16" balsa stringers a hundred times before I got the covering on. So just before covering, I replaced them with basswood and never broke another one. The extra weight was minimal. I "beefed up" a couple of other similar areas because I fly off dirt, and need it to be a little more rugged to fly as a bush plane.

Great job on your C140.

Eric

Tinman
01-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Thats a fine looking plane!! Is that a kit?!

griffin
01-26-2007, 12:52 AM
E-Challenged,
All I can say is that is one of the finest Tritle kits I have seen. Just an amazing good job. How did it come out weight wise with all that fancyness?
Good luck on the maiden--try to get us some in flights if you can. Steve

Tinman,
It's a short kit sold by:

http://www.manzanolaser.com/id51.html

AmpAce
01-26-2007, 02:20 AM
E-Challenged, Great looking 140! You really got that aluminum skin looking "right". Hope she flys as good as she looks!

Best of luck with the maiden flight!

AmpAce

E-Challenged
01-26-2007, 04:11 PM
My Cessna weighs 17-19 ounces depending on whether I use 2S 800 or 2S 1200 lipo. Battery compartment is on the cg so changes in weight don't affect balance. Pat's prototype weighed 12.7 ounces with 2S 1320 pack. Pat is a lightweight model fanatic, his sport scale models are designed to land at a walking speed an use inexpensive small, light power systems. They can be beefed up a certain amount and still be floaters able to take off and land in a ball diamond.

Pat's short kits include only the plans and laser cut part sheets. You have to buy or cut your own stringers, sheet stock, covering , wire, acetate sheet for windows, wheels and accessories. Short kits do not include written instructions or illustrations except for notes on plan sheets. They are much cheaper to produce than full kits so it's not necessary to sell many to break even or make a little profit.They are available from Pat's Custom Models, Callie's Graphics and Chuck Manzano. Go to links page on Manzano's website for everybody's links.

http://www.manzanolaser.com/

Tower Hobbies sells some Tritle designs as Dumas full kits which have more extensive instructions and typical contents. I like the Waco YMF-5

http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-a.html

Enter "electric" in the search block and look for Dumas line.

Almost all Tritle's designs are covered in detailed "build " threads on RC Groups/ E-Zone/ Scale Electrics forum .Pat gladly gives advice on E-Zone or by contacting him at his website. A really great guy, prolific designer , and avid hobbyist.

Tinman
01-26-2007, 04:32 PM
E-Challenged,
All I can say is that is one of the finest Tritle kits I have seen. Just an amazing good job. How did it come out weight wise with all that fancyness?
Good luck on the maiden--try to get us some in flights if you can. Steve

Tinman,
It's a short kit sold by:

http://www.manzanolaser.com/id51.html

Thanks for the website Griffin! I'll have to check them out!

griffin
01-27-2007, 12:01 AM
E Challenged,
17-19 oz is super light for a 48" plane. About half as much as many ARFs in that size.... good luck! -Steve

AmpAce
01-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Steve, I agree about the weight, I built a Herr 48" Cub that weighed 32 ounces all up! It still flew whenever I could get it off the ground, it was a beast for ground looping. In fact it was so bad that I no longer fly it.

AmpAce

E-Challenged
01-27-2007, 04:39 AM
E Challenged,
17-19 oz is super light for a 48" plane. About half as much as many ARFs in that size.... good luck! -Steve

Did some taxi testing in the back yard today, it wants to lift even in short grass. Shold be a piece of cake.

E-Challenged
01-28-2007, 07:51 PM
I found pics of venturis for gyros on a aircraft supply website and hogged a fair representation out of dowel, 1/16 ply and tiny aluminum tubing. I used a my Dremel with sanding drum and 1/16" drill bit, X-Acto knife, swiss files and fine sandpaper, then painted it with silver dope. I cut away some Monokote and CYA'd it to the fuselage. Then I sprayed the little "sucker" with accellerator and fogged part of the windshield badly. After trying various polishing agents, Turtlewax white liquid chrome cleaner rubbed on with T-shirt material the acetate became clear as new. Phew!!!!:) I think I'll leave the skylight windows open on top of wing for better cooling on hot summer days. When I get wing numerals from Callie's Graphcis and tail logo decals from our club president, it'll be finished and finally ready for viewing by the peanut gallery and maiden flight at Fairview Park, Costa Mesa, CA.

Tinman
01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Nice looking venturi!

Did you draw flaps on the wing? That is one fine looking airplane! Very nice job!

alienx
01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Very nice bird!! Good luck.

E-Challenged
01-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Nice looking venturi!

Did you draw flaps on the wing? That is one fine looking airplane! Very nice job!

Plane has ailerons, one Blue Arrow 4.3 gram servo for each using a Y cable. This '46 model had no flaps, they were added later on the 140A model but were not very effective.

ShuttleRG
01-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Plane has ailerons, one Blue Arrow 4.3 gram servo for each using a Y cable. This '46 model had no flaps, they were added later on the 140A model but were not very effective.

Actually, the 120 didn't have flaps, the "D" window behind each door, or an electrical system. The 140 did have flaps, the "D" window and an electrical system. The 140A had the early version of the all metal 150 wing with flaps.

By the way, very nice bird!

E-Challenged
01-31-2007, 03:52 AM
Thanks Shuttle RG, just re-read some history info and it did indeed have skinny flaps. Guess I may have to ink them in when I add the trailing edge fairings.

BTW, I'm having a friend make me up some Cessna 140 logo decals for the tail fin. The stylized bird must face toward the nose and the "140" goes in back of the bird's wing. I have seen a number of full scale Cessnas where the logo bird is flying backwards apparently the owner didn't know that there are right and left side logos.:)

E-Challenged
02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Just installed wing numerals from Callie's Graphics. They are very thin vinyl and come with a heavy rear backing sheet that must be removed to expose the semi-sticky backed carrier sheet with stickier numerals. Next, you position the entire sheet of numbers on the wing and smooth it down. Next, I carefully rubbed the individual numerals onto the wing with the side of a spoon to adhere them. Finally, I carefully peeled the carrier sheet away and most of the numerals adhered to the wing covering, I had to help come free from the carrier sheet. There were a few small air bubbles which I had to pierce with a pin and smooth down. On the underside of the left wing, I had to cut the carrier sheet apart to position the "NC" behind the triangular jury strut and the remainder between the other lift strut attachments and wing servo linkage.

These are very thin numerals and look painted on. Callie made a perfect color match with the sample of trim film that I sent her.

NYCstevo
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Very nice plane - impressive! I am building a Cessna 150 skyhawk but haven't quite finished yet... can't wait for my maiden flight - keep us posted!

AmpAce
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Wow, E-Challenged, that's a very nice looking airplane, looks very much like the real thing! Can't wait to see some in-flights, then I suspect we'll really see "real looking"!

Hope she flys as good as she looks, and best of luck on that first flight!

AmpAce

MacMyers
02-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Wow, E-Challenged, that's a very nice looking airplane, looks very much like the real thing! Can't wait to see some in-flights, then I suspect we'll really see "real looking"!

Hope she flys as good as she looks, and best of luck on that first flight!

AmpAce
Really... it been said before... but that model is beautiful.

E-Challenged
02-02-2007, 10:19 PM
First flight, straight ahead ground run, easy lift off, nose heavy, not enough elevator trim, landed and did a 3 pointer ( can't usually do them ) :) I taped a tiny piece of lead to the tail and it grooved. Ailerons are effective. Flies well with aileron/rudder mix or separately for coordinated turns. 15 mph winds came up, hovered with nose into wind at cruise rpm. Looks and flies like the real thing. Couldn't ask for more.:D

AmpAce
02-03-2007, 12:31 AM
E-Challenged, that's great news, congratulations!! Those are great pic's, and it surely does look like the real thing in the air!

You did a great job on this one, and now it looks like you have a real winner!

AmpAce

E-Challenged
02-03-2007, 05:20 AM
And thanks to Pat Tritle, Charlie Manzano and Callie all of that hard to spell town of Albuquerque, NM. They are making a number of good flying, seldom kitted scale models in short kits. Thanks to Dumas for producing some of Pat's designs as full kits and for Tower Hobbies for selling them.
:)

griffin
02-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Glad you had such a smooth maiden. Nice shots too. If I were to build another Cessna, I think this is it--just love those elegant rounded wings and tail feathers. -Steve

E-Challenged
03-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Model continues to be a joy to fly. It is so easy to fly that I sometimes get carried away horsing it around in a non-scale-like manner using coupled ailerons and rudder. Not really an aerobatic model, it will do figure 8's within about 20 feet and loves to inside loop after a shallow dive. For a 48" wingspan model, it can fly in a fairly small area like a ball diamond.
This kind of flying is made possible by light weight and adequate thrust available from small outrunners on small 2S lipos and relatively large GWS direct drive type props.

Bill G
04-13-2007, 06:18 AM
Nice vintage appearance EC. I like it!

Bill

Tinman
04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
TRight on that is beautiful! Loos just like its larger counterpart!

You should enter that little plane is some contests. Very nicely done!