PDA

View Full Version : Wing Warping

barmonkey
01-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Hello, I have been working on a not so scale project...trying to turn a GWS Pico-Sick-F into an Eindecker. I want more control than just rudder and elevator, and originally wanted to add ailerons. While messing around with the wings I noticed that they could warp quite easily! The Eindecker used wing warping...so this must be destiny!

I think that the Eindecker used some sort of cable pulley system, but I can't find any detailed info on how it worked. Looking at photos and three views I can only assume that the cables ran through the vertical tubes just ahead of the pilot. I am considering just using some kind of torque rod set-up instead.

If anyone has any experience, knowledge, photos or sugestions please feel free to chime in.

yorcram
02-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi,
There is a build article and free plans in the Flying Scale Modeller Dec 2006 and Jan 2007 issues for a wing warping plane (the ponnier). It was designed by Peter Rake and uses pull cables. The artilce deals with ways to connect the cables so it would be worth while picking up those issues.

Cheers,
Marc

barmonkey
02-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the tip...picked up the Dec issue today. Haven't had a chance to read much, but I did read the article on the sopwith pup with working scale radial engine. That is amazing!!!

degreen60
02-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Keep us up today on the changes you make to the SS-F. I have one of these I though about making into an Eindecker.
How close do you live to Evansville? I live 100 miles north.

FlyingMonkey
03-11-2008, 11:56 AM
how's the progress coming?

barmonkey
03-11-2008, 02:00 PM
This project got shelved shortly after I had the crazy idea. The place that I ordered the kit from back-orderd the Pico Stick F. I was a little peaved, because it was in stock when I ordered. I did actually have one but the wings were warped, and I was unable to correct it.
If you are considering modifying that plane you just acquired, It may not be the best choice to convert it. The wings are probably too stiff to allow the flexibility required to allow mechanical warping. I have also heard it's not a very effective or responsive type of control.

FlyingMonkey
03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I know, I am contemplating adding in ailerons.

Just curious how you were making out on the flexible foam wing.

Well, maybe someone else will give it a try.

barmonkey
03-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I did have some good info showing the routing for the wires. But another set-back was a hard drive failure...lost all of my downloaded material. I think some more info may be on my thread at RCG in the Scale Electric Planes area.

Although I did figure the wiring pulley thing out...about drove me nuts...I never figured out which way the warping would make it turn! A pretty important detail.

With spring at hand, I may resurrect this project...after I get the Camel and SE5A maidened.

WWI Ace
03-11-2008, 11:27 PM
But I thought we didn't want our wings to warp!! Ha ha!! Steve