PDA

View Full Version : engine running backwards

Faspro
10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
I finally get my conversion all set and now the engine runs backwards. All the colors of the wires match up. I have a Jeti Advanced plus ESC running to an Axi 2212/26 external rotor. Any suggestions?

ForestCam
10-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Switch any two wires between the motor and ESC and it'll run the right way.

Faspro
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
I and thank you my good man.:D

To all the new guys out there (like myself). Be sure to brace the front and back of the plane when your testing your setup. I was ready for forward but not backward. I did manage to catch it in time before anything bad could happen. Imagine that, your first crash was going backwards with no wing.

Duster52
10-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Here is what can happen!:mad:

Eight staples!

Plane was not tied down and I accidentally hit the throttle trying to remove the battery!

Duster52
10-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Here are a few more photos and the plane involved. Electric!

PhilipShum
10-04-2005, 11:37 AM
The other item of worry is the Throttle control on the transmitter. The 'Normal' or 'Reverse' on the throttle channel if not set correctly, the Motor will run at full speed even when you have put the throttle stick at the idle postion!:mad: :eek:

I have had this happen before.:eek:

Philip Shum

flyranger
10-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I have the Castle Creations ESCs on both my planes. I've gotten in the habit of setting the throttle to mid-position before turning on the transmitter. CCs require 4 seconds of off throttle before they will "arm". Just my two cents.

GeraldRosebery
10-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Here is what can happen!:mad:

Eight staples!

Plane was not tied down and I accidentally hit the throttle trying to remove the battery!

Note: If you use a Castle Creations Phoenix (probably most other brands - check the manuals) the ESC disarms the motor on loss of signal. SO -switch off the transmitter before removing the flight battery. If you are using a separate flight battery pack instead of the BEC, switch off the airplane first.

debhicks
10-04-2005, 03:45 PM
How could a harmless electric airplane do that kind of damage. :) Good (sorry at your expense) pics for why you should be with people when flying. Or at least have someone in yelling distance in case something worse happens.

Hope your hand is better.

Faspro
10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
The other item of worry is the Throttle control on the transmitter. The 'Normal' or 'Reverse' on the throttle channel if not set correctly, the Motor will run at full speed even when you have put the throttle stick at the idle postion!:mad: :eek:

I have had this happen before.:eek:

Philip Shum

That's what started it. Down was up and up was down. Then the plane went backwards.

Faspro
10-04-2005, 05:43 PM
I have the Castle Creations ESCs on both my planes. I've gotten in the habit of setting the throttle to mid-position before turning on the transmitter. CCs require 4 seconds of off throttle before they will "arm". Just my two cents.

My Jeti gives a couple warning beeps before it is engaged.

Azarr
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Note: If you use a Castle Creations Phoenix (probably most other brands - check the manuals) the ESC disarms the motor on loss of signal. SO -switch off the transmitter before removing the flight battery. If you are using a separate flight battery pack instead of the BEC, switch off the airplane first.

I wouldn't recommend ever turning your transmitter off before removing the battery, there's just too much opportunity for interference with your transmitter switched off. Just like your servos can jitter all over the place with your transmitter turned off, the motor could start also.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com (http://www.ecubedrc.com)

rcers
10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
SO -switch off the transmitter before removing the flight battery

Yep as Azarr points out - you NEVER do this. Always disconnect the battery first, then off with the TX.

Mike

Duster52
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Yep as Azarr points out - you NEVER do this. Always disconnect the battery first, then off with the TX.

Mike

That was what I was trying to do. I do not have a switch on the ESC that I am using and, with this one, the motor will actually start if you turn off the tx first! I have had it happen a couple times when I forgot and turned the tx off first. I always teach to disable the ESC first. I was stupidly in a tight spot testing the servos. The motor had been run once, so it was armed. It takes two hands to pull the deans connectors apart and I bumped the throttle, that was sitting too close. There were several NO NO'S that I did at that time. It was 4 a.m. :D My wife is an RN so I got very good help!:) We both are EMT's.

rcers
10-04-2005, 08:12 PM
There were several NO NO'S that I did at that time. It was 4 a.m. :D My wife is an RN so I got very good help!:) We both are EMT's.

Did you make her stitch you up? :D

Duster52
10-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Did you make her stitch you up? :D

No. She was a little shook up on this one! The prop cut two separate side by side slices, like it was trying to fillet my hand, and nicked a tiny superficial artery! I had blood all over the house! Holding my hand tightly over it would not stop the bleeding until I put a paper towel over it hand held it tight. She wanted to see how bad I screwed up, so I removed the towel and blood shot across the sink! All she said was "lets go! cover it back up!!!":D

She's the best!:D

ForestCam
10-05-2005, 12:58 AM
What did you run out of CA or something?:p

PhilipShum
10-05-2005, 07:17 AM
My wife is an RN so I got very good help!

Dear Duster52,

I am afraid "Prevention is better than cure".

I label my aircraft with suitable wordings to remind me the 'Tx' on-off sequence. These labels are placed near the ESC switch, battery connector, etc.

Philip Shum

flypaper 2
10-06-2005, 02:50 AM
I learned the hard way to take the prop off while playing with the programming.:confused:

PhilipShum
10-06-2005, 04:46 PM
I learned the hard way to take the prop off while playing with the programming.

Even better!:)

Philip Shum

Duster52
10-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Dear Duster52,

I am afraid "Prevention is better than cure".

I label my aircraft with suitable wordings to remind me the 'Tx' on-off sequence. These labels are placed near the ESC switch, battery connector, etc.

Philip Shum

You miss understood me. I was doing it the CORRECT way. I was attempting to unplug the battery (the only way to turn off the receiver) before turning off the tx. (while in testing, I have had the motor come on when turning off the tx momentairly) In unpluging the battery, I accidently brushed the throttle while both hands were on the deans connectors! It jumped at me and I tried to catch it to prevent destroying the plane! I have a very powerful motor and battery in that cub! My SCREWUP was working in such a tight spot where I could hit the throttle!:) That was my "no-no" for the night.:D

falingtrea
10-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Faspro:

One thing I have noticed is that some gear systems require you to hook the motor up backwards (Battery plus to motor minus and visa versa) from normal. Does your setup use gearing or is it direct drive? If it is geared, that may explain why the motor is running backwards.

Duster52
You might want to consider putting an external power switch on your RX. I certainly will be after reading about your mishap.

Duster52
10-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Faspro:

Duster52
You might want to consider putting an external power switch on your RX. I certainly will be after reading about your mishap.

Hey, I am in a big argument on that one on a different thread here!:)