PDA

View Full Version : motor recomendations

woodman1445
01-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi to all

Years ago I built a plane that was to have a gas motor .29 to .35. But as things go I never finished it and now have the time to go on. Its been 15 years since I built it and now see that gas is not the way I want to go. I would like if someone would please give me some help in finding the right electric motor and batt comb for this plane which I will be building a new one . I have a few pic to add that might help. Thank you

Sky Sharkster
01-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Hello Woodman, Welcome to Wattflyer! From the specs on the box, I'd say you're looking at about 500 watts of power.
Here's a couple of good motors in that power range;
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4025A This is a .25 glow equivalent, it would be for normal "sport" flying, nothing extreme. For a lot more power, the next size up, the E-Flite 46 would be an option.
The AXI motors started the "Outrunner" revolution and are still, in my opinion, the best value going. Here's a size that will suit your plane;
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2820.htm
For batteries, you'll need either 3s or 4s (cells) LiPolys of about 3000-4000mAh. In conventional batteries, this would be a 10-12 cell pack of about 3000mAh.
Speed controllers would be in the 40a-50a range.
Prop size will depend on the input voltage and Kv, the motors listed will have more info on this.
I'll bet you will get some other recommendations, we all have our favorites!
Good Luck!
Ron

Matt Kirsch
01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Either the Eflite Power 25 or Power 32 will work very well in this plane. In fact, it'll probably be overpowered with a 3S (3 cells in series, or 11.1V nominal) LiPoly pack like Ron recommends. An Eflite 40A brushless ESC will be a plug-in affair.

What Eflite is doing here is great for general sport flying, in that all you have to do is buy the motor with the right glow designation, and follow the instructions to pick the right battery and prop to get your glow "equivalency."

woodman1445
02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Thank you Sky Sharkster and Matt Kirsch for you imput. I will use it.