PDA

View Full Version : safety power switch

pl365322
10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi guys.:)
Does anyone have any idea how to insert a safety switch to avoid the motor to start whenever?:o
Thanks.

flyranger
10-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Not needed with Castle Creations ESCs. Requires 4 seconds of minimum throttle before arming.

pl365322
10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
thanks Flyranger. I use a BMI Spitz combo kit (motor + ESC). Seen that I already damage my canopy by the prop ,when open to change battery or move them slightly to move CG, I would like to have such a switch as some ESC have.I am working on brushless outrunner / lipo 3S2P.Is that really impossible.
I have a small electric helicopter who have such a push button switch.
Thanks.

Matt Kirsch
10-04-2005, 04:41 PM
If the ESC was not designed with an arming switch, or a power switch for the receiver and servos, you can't install one. There is no place to connect it on the circuit board.

Most ESC nowadays come with a software arming sequence, meaning you have to meet some requirements with the throttle stick position before the ESC will arm.

The only way to completely eliminate the possibility of accidental motor startup is to disconnect the main battery from the ESC. Any time that battery is connected, there is the possibility that the motor could accidentally start up.

If you must work on the airplane with the battery connected, protect the transmitter so the throttle stick can't be accidentally moved. Place the transmitter somewhere where you are 100% sure it can't be bumped. Do not work within the prop's reach. Do not work in front of the plane. Remove the propeller if you will be working around the armed motor for long periods of time.

rcers
10-04-2005, 04:43 PM
The only way to completely eliminate the possibility of accidental motor startup is to disconnect the main battery from the ESC. Any time that battery is connected, there is the possibility that the motor could accidentally start up.

Yep what Matt said. Switch is just a crutch, anytime the battery is connected it should be considered ready to start.

Mike

Duster52
10-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Yep what Matt said. Switch is just a crutch, anytime the battery is connected it should be considered ready to start.

Mike

I don't consider a switch as a crutch. It bugs me that there is not a switch on most of these ESC's. I hate carrying my plane to where I am going to take off from and then having to lay my tx down, stand on my head, using both hands to plug in the battery so I can fly! I would rather have everything setup, ready to go, and then set the plane down and flip a switch and take off. The only one I can do that with is my Jeti 18. It is so much more convient.

If I power everything up, hot, before I go out onto the field, I am wasting tx and plane battery power. Also, many times, with the thing powered up and the tx on, when I am holding the tx and pick up the plane, the motor glitches on and off and the servos go nuts!

All I ask for is a switch. There should be a way to do this if I had the schematic that would show a circuit I could break and add a small switch.

rcers
10-07-2005, 02:13 PM
If I power everything up, hot, before I go out onto the field, I am wasting tx and plane battery power. Also, many times, with the thing powered up and the tx on, when I am holding the tx and pick up the plane, the motor glitches on and off and the servos go nuts!
You have some serious issues if you do this. First you never hook everything up unless you are ready to fly, at the field and everything is "safe".

Here is the correct proceedure. Drive to field with everything off and batteries disconnected from everything. Assemble planes, get pin on frequency tag (controlled fields obviously), turn TX on, connect airborne battery pack, turn on switch, check RX controls for proper suface movement (to verify proper controls and model is selected), check motor power up, fly. Land turn switch off, disconnect airborne battery, then TX off.

That is the only safe way. If you have glitches when you touch the plane, you have serious issues you must resolve.

Mike

Duster52
10-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey, you don't have to tell me how to setup at the field. I know what I am doing. I said that I would prefer to be able to put the battery in the plane, hook it up, close the hatch, walk out to the take off point and flip a switch. That is what I would prefer. Not have to take the plane out to the take off point, put the battery in, hook it up, put the hatch back on and then take off. Very simple concept. I do NOT have everything on while carrying it to the field. I simply said what would happen if I tried to do it that way. No, I don't have serious issues with the plane because it glitches when I am holding the tx with it on and my hand goes around the antenna and esc. It is a single conversion rx and I have seen it happen many of times on many planes. Thankyou.

The way I do it with the Jeti 18 works just fine. I have many hours on these electrics and it's all that I fly. You can't taxi these out to the take off point, you have to carry them out there. I was never talking about carrying them in a vehicle hooked up. I hate standing out on the field hooking everything up.

rcers
10-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Sticks - let me just ask one question, do you plug the battery in to your ESC before you turn on the TX?

We had a guy that used to do that, and used the switch (Jeti esc's). One time, one day the plane with airborne battery attached and TX off went to full throttle. Your first reaction is to catch the plane, would you like to guess how many surgeries he got?

We have no idea how it happened. But a full throttle 40 amp system is nothing to mess with, 10amps for that matter isn't.

By the way, when flying at the club field, I always hook everything up under the shed, and then it is treated as live. I walk to the taxi area expecting or acting like the prop could start at any time. I too don't like to do that on the runway...but the second I land, I switch off, and disconnect the battery. Switch alone is not enough.

Didn't mean to upset you, but I was confused by your post.

Mike

falingtrea
10-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Don't most good ESCs have some sort of loss of signal shutdown mode? So a power switch between the BEC or RX batt and the RX should be a good safeguard, right? The only problem with putting a switch on the Main Battery is finding one with a low resistance. When pulling 30+ amps every milliohm counts.

Duster52
10-07-2005, 04:51 PM
No problem:)

No, I turn the tx on first, as always. Then I plug in the battery. I close everything up, take it to the field, turn the switch on and take off. This is with the Jeti 18.

Believe me, I know about motors coming on. I have posted considerable material on RCU about my stupidity in working on my cub, early in the morning, in a tight space on the dinning room table. I was testing the servos, making adjustments. I had run up the motor a couple times, which armed the throttle. Since there was no switch for me to turn off the rx (remember, I said stupidity in working in close space, I knew better) I reached for the deans connectors to pull them apart, which were tight. My hand jerked sideways, hitting the throttle wide open. This is an MPJet AC 26/45-20 geared with a TP 11.1v 2100mAh battery and a Master Airscrew 1170 prop. I instantly grabbed the plane to keep from destroying everything and it got the back of my hand twice! Fillet time, literally! Hitting a tiny, superficial artery and putting blood all over the plane and house!

I posted all of this as a warning to those who think "little electrics" are not dangerous.

I am not blaming this on not having a switch (the blame is all mine), but, I wish I had had one. If you accidentally turn the tx off on this one, the motor WILL start.

Duster52
10-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Don't most good ESCs have some sort of loss of signal shutdown mode? So a power switch between the BEC or RX batt and the RX should be a good safeguard, right? The only problem with putting a switch on the Main Battery is finding one with a low resistance. When pulling 30+ amps every milliohm counts.

The problem there is the weight of a switch that could handle the amps. I didn't want that. Just be able to disable the esc on a low current circuit. Like some do. Mine doesn't have that loss of signal feature. Wish they could to save the LiPo when in a tree!:D Another reason for buying quality esc's.:)

rcers
10-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Don't most good ESCs have some sort of loss of signal shutdown mode? So a power switch between the BEC or RX batt and the RX should be a good safeguard, right?

Yes and Yes. Switches are great, I prefer them, but it is a loaded gun on or off. We are all on the same page here!

Mike

Duster52
10-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Yes and Yes. Switches are great, I prefer them, but it is a loaded gun on or off. We are all on the same page here!

Mike

I know when it is on or off. If the servos are setting still, it's off. When I turn it on, the control surfaces jump to attention.:)

If anyone is interested, log onto RCU where I am "agcatsbest" and go to my profile. I have the whole sad story in my blogs there.:)

ndfrank
10-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I have just read all the articles and nobody used a safety switch. I WANT/NEED a switch to disconnect the battery because I have to DISASSEMBLY the airplane to disconnect the battery. Does ANYONE know of a switch capable of handling 28 volts DC and 35-40 amps I can safetly use.

Thanks,

I Love Flying Electic Powered Airplanes

hoppy
10-08-2005, 02:29 PM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13492&postcount=9

simibill
10-08-2005, 06:55 PM
http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p18700112?sourceid=3

ndfrank
10-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Duster52
10-09-2005, 06:45 AM
I have just read all the articles and nobody used a safety switch. I WANT/NEED a switch to disconnect the battery because I have to DISASSEMBLY the airplane to disconnect the battery. Does ANYONE know of a switch capable of handling 28 volts DC and 35-40 amps I can safetly use.

Thanks,

I Love Flying Electic Powered Airplanes
http://www.coolesc.com/prod_a35.php?CC=4348accfbafc6

Here is a new company with low priced ESC's that HAVE A SAFETY, COMPLETE SHUTOFF, switch built in!

I am going to order one when they are in stock to try it out.

simibill
10-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Here's one way to insure no power is on until you want it on.

1. Cut the negative power lead on your pack.
2. Install two Powerpole connectors sized according to your packs amperage.
3. Make two leads with Powerpole connectors at each end - length to suit.
4. Connect one end of each lead to battery pack.
5. Make opening in fuse to hold other end connector pair & epoxy in place.
6. Make circuit completion jumper using two Powerpole connectors.

You can now connect your battery pack to the ESC - secure the battery, close the hatch,etc and proceed to the takeoff position. Plug in the circuit completion jumper, check for proper motor and servo operation & go fly. When finished just remove the circuit completion jumper to safe the power.

Powerpole connectors, wire, tools available from West Mountain Radio,
http://www.westmountainradio.com

Duster52
10-09-2005, 02:11 PM
That is what I do now. With my stryker, I have the battery deans connector and the esc deans connector sticking up out of the hatch thru an opening. I plug them together when I am ready to take off. It is a little not aerodynamic. On my cub, I have them sticking out of the side window and do the same thing. Just looks messy.

Those new esc's I posted about have a shutoff switch that complete disables the esc for safety. I hope they are good, I want them.:)

simibill
10-09-2005, 02:18 PM
The last time I checked with cool ESC they indicated early 2006 for availability of their higher power ESC's.

Duster52
10-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Their website is saying Fall 2005.

KenS
10-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Well I ordered a CoolRunnings 12a so I will let ya know in a week how it does;)
The only thing I will miss, is the programing ease of the CC software...I hate having to wait for beeps etc...

Bob_CO
10-09-2005, 04:02 PM
If you want a switch, go with the Cool ESC http://www.coolesc.com/

simibill
10-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't see how an ESC can provide motor cutoff at say 3.7v to allow power to receiver and servos and also completely cutoff battery power.

Duster52
10-09-2005, 08:08 PM
If you want a switch, go with the Cool ESC http://www.coolesc.com/

We're one step ahead of you, Bob_Co:)

Duster52
10-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't see how an ESC can provide motor cutoff at say 3.7v to allow power to receiver and servos and also completely cutoff battery power.

It's all in the electronic circuits in the ESC. The power being fed to the motor is controlled separate from the power being sent to the receiver and servos by the built in BEC. Depending on how you have it programed, it either shuts the motor off or drops the power level some, to give you time to land.

simibill
10-09-2005, 08:18 PM
That's what all ESCs do. What is being claimed for the coolrunning ESCs is the ability to completely switch off battery power.

Duster52
10-09-2005, 08:22 PM
That's what all ESCs do. What is being claimed for the coolrunning ESCs is the ability to completely switch off battery power.

I don't understand your confusion, then. This ESC is just set up to cut the power completely for safety reasons when you need it to. Not in flight. There is no mystery to it.

simibill
10-09-2005, 08:49 PM
I don't understand your confusion, then. This ESC is just set up to cut the power completely for safety reasons when you need it to. Not in flight. There is no mystery to it.

How does the ESC know when I need it to cut the power completely?

Bob_CO
10-09-2005, 09:25 PM
How does the ESC know when I need it to cut the power completely?

There is a swich much like on the standard flightpacks that come with radio systems. When you turn off the switch the ESC kills power to the RX and the motor.

falingtrea
10-09-2005, 10:28 PM
My guess is a switch on the gate of the power FET. This connection is low current and could be easily switched out. Since the FET is the connection between the motor and battery, if you disable the gate, you basically shut the FET off. If you were feeling brave, you could add this modification to most ESCs.

simibill
10-09-2005, 10:32 PM
There is a swich much like on the standard flightpacks that come with radio systems. When you turn off the switch the ESC kills power to the RX and the motor.
This is a Q&A from CoolRunning

Q. Can I leave my battery connected indefinitely if the switch is turned OFF?

A. Putting the switch in the OFF position does not completely disconnect the battery from the ESC. It will continue to discharge at a low rate. Care should be taken to unplug the battery from the ESC when not in use so that it does not continue to discharge. Failure to do so can cause batteries to completely drain and may prevent LiPo batteries from being recharged.

Bob_CO
10-09-2005, 10:47 PM
This is a Q&A from CoolRunning

Q. Can I leave my battery connected indefinitely if the switch is turned OFF?

A. Putting the switch in the OFF position does not completely disconnect the battery from the ESC. It will continue to discharge at a low rate. Care should be taken to unplug the battery from the ESC when not in use so that it does not continue to discharge. Failure to do so can cause batteries to completely drain and may prevent LiPo batteries from being recharged.

Exactly however the RX and motor are powered down when the switch is off. The switch is a nice-to-have in your power up/power down procedures. Tx on, plug in batt, switch on. Switch off, unplug batt, tx off.

So what does it buy you? It lets you disconnect your battery without worrying about bumping the throttle and slicing yourself up.

Duster52
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
The only reason I want it is so I can package everything up ready to fly, walk out to the field and turn it on. I don't want to carry it with it activated and I don't want to have to hook up battery and screw down hatch after getting out there ready to fly.

It is very simple. All this does is cut the power to the motor with a switch when I want to cut the power to the motor. With a switch.

I have one like this already and I love it. It is a Jeti 18.

This is a personal choice for me and how my planes hook up.

jonnyjetprop
10-10-2005, 12:10 AM
What he said:D

Here's one way to insure no power is on until you want it on.

1. Cut the negative power lead on your pack.
2. Install two Powerpole connectors sized according to your packs amperage.
3. Make two leads with Powerpole connectors at each end - length to suit.
4. Connect one end of each lead to battery pack.
5. Make opening in fuse to hold other end connector pair & epoxy in place.
6. Make circuit completion jumper using two Powerpole connectors.

You can now connect your battery pack to the ESC - secure the battery, close the hatch,etc and proceed to the takeoff position. Plug in the circuit completion jumper, check for proper motor and servo operation & go fly. When finished just remove the circuit completion jumper to safe the power.

Powerpole connectors, wire, tools available from West Mountain Radio,
http://www.westmountainradio.com

ndfrank
10-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Thanks Everyone. You have come up with some great ideas that are both simple and will work great. It is funny that I couldn't think of something so simple as just put a disconnect in one wire. Will look at Cool ESC, too.

Jessum Dumguy
10-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I do something like what Simibill was talking about,
" 6. Make circuit completion jumper using two Powerpole connectors. "

Only difference is that I put a single BLADE FUSE holder placed
inline between bat and ESC. When I'm ready to power up I insert
a fuse and close small weather cap. All thats showing on outside of
fuselage is a little rubber booti. Found the fuse holders at
a Car Audio sale but I've seen them on Ebay often.
Got the Bright IDEA from an RC Soaring site, I can't remember
which one, It was European I seem to remeber. Acts like a
switch and FUSES the power system at the same time. BONUS.

Jessum Dumguy

simibill
10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Great idea. Just what is a BLADE FUSE holder? i.e. what does it look like?

Jessum Dumguy
10-10-2005, 06:21 PM
It's a car fuse type ( Newer Style), Not the round
cylender but the... Well... Blade type.
Check it out Here,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Quantity-of-Six-30A-ATO-Fuse-Holders_W0QQitemZ7188092735QQcategoryZ75210QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem
Thats sort of the same ones I'm using but the ones I have are
rated to 60 amp. Heres a better example,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-GAUGE-16-GAUGE-WATERPROOF-ATC-IN-LINE-FUSE-HOLDERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38636QQitemZ800 5074940QQrdZ1

Jessum Dumguy

jrb
10-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Here’ how I prefer to do it on my lots of watts planes; several can be found in my gallery: http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=497 .

Use either a fuse or shorting plug; I fly a 40amp fuse with 40Amp ESC using its BEC for a 33amp set-up.

The loop of 14ga wire is used as a shunt that allows amps to be measured w/o breaking into wiring; i.e. after swapping a prop at the field.

Jessum Dumguy
10-10-2005, 06:40 PM
jrb,
Can't tell for sure but is the fuse accessable without
opening up the hatch? Also is the BEC fused aswell?
DOH!! Saw the wire diagram two seconds after posting.

Jessum

jrb
10-10-2005, 06:50 PM
A close-up:

Jessum Dumguy
10-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Ya... Thats the ticket. Nice bird BTW.

Jessum Dumguy

EpoweredRc
10-10-2005, 07:27 PM
No problem:)

No, I turn the tx on first, as always. Then I plug in the battery. I close everything up, take it to the field, turn the switch on and take off. This is with the Jeti 18.

Believe me, I know about motors coming on. I have posted considerable material on RCU about my stupidity in working on my cub, early in the morning, in a tight space on the dinning room table. I was testing the servos, making adjustments. I had run up the motor a couple times, which armed the throttle. Since there was no switch for me to turn off the rx (remember, I said stupidity in working in close space, I knew better) I reached for the deans connectors to pull them apart, which were tight. My hand jerked sideways, hitting the throttle wide open. This is an MPJet AC 26/45-20 geared with a TP 11.1v 2100mAh battery and a Master Airscrew 1170 prop. I instantly grabbed the plane to keep from destroying everything and it got the back of my hand twice! Fillet time, literally! Hitting a tiny, superficial artery and putting blood all over the plane and house!

I posted all of this as a warning to those who think "little electrics" are not dangerous.

I am not blaming this on not having a switch (the blame is all mine), but, I wish I had had one. If you accidentally turn the tx off on this one, the motor WILL start.

I simple placed a sumo's(sp?) connecter behind the main plug so that I can go ahead and plug in the main plug since sometimes it is hard to do and then when I get ready to fly I just turn on my TX walk out and with one hand holding the plane use the other to plug in the sumo's conector its really easy,works really good, You are not supposed to be standing on a runway at a club feild fooling with your plane. At least not at my clubs.

simibill
10-11-2005, 02:29 AM
jrb,

That's a real sweet lookin Mustang.

jrb
10-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks, simibill.

Jim

falingtrea
10-11-2005, 05:49 PM
You can get blade fuse holders at most auto parts stores too. I got a Bussman ATM fuse holder for $1.79. And, of course, they have the fuses too. :)

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
10-12-2005, 06:30 PM
I use an Astro 20 System that has a switch. Love it! However, I forgot to disconnect the battery before I took it home and drained the lipo dead (2 volts)!! Don't have to worry about accidental motor starts on that battery...

simibill
10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I use an Astro 20 System that has a switch. Love it! However, I forgot to disconnect the battery before I took it home and drained the lipo dead (2 volts)!! Don't have to worry about accidental motor starts on that battery...

Which is what this thread is all about - a safety switch doesn't protect the battery pack from draining, but does offer some protection from accidental motor starts.

Tucson Don
06-20-2006, 06:35 PM

Mike

Okay switch is not to be trusted. so what do we poor error prone
humans do to avoid meat grinder giving nasty surprise? Help needed.

Don

rcers
06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Don - you walk you plane to the flight line without the battery connected. Set it down. connect battery, fly, land disconnect battery.

The only time you get the arc of the prop is when you have the battery disconnected, no other time.

Mike

jrb
06-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Here’s a collage from my Mustang’s maiden of several years back.

It uses the set-up I posted above and here once again.

As you can see I’m well away from the prop when “arming” the plane before flight!

Also, you can see that the charging jack helps quite a bit to peak the pack prior to flight; the maiden was with NiMhs – peaked twice to get them warmed up – IIRC it was about 23F.

And, no problems adding mah’s back to its LiPo pack – while installed!

Choose or use a charger that can choose the wrong cell count and it doesn’t matter what you have the LiPos in; its going to be ugly.

All fire reports I’ve read clearly indicate too many volts puff and then blow up a pack.

Best to be safe with the prop; I like my shorting plug!

adhoc
06-20-2006, 10:38 PM
The only reason I want it is so I can package everything up ready to fly, walk out to the field and turn it on. I don't want to carry it with it activated and I don't want to have to hook up battery and screw down hatch after getting out there ready to fly.

It is very simple. All this does is cut the power to the motor with a switch when I want to cut the power to the motor. With a switch.

I have one like this already and I love it. It is a Jeti 18.

This is a personal choice for me and how my planes hook up. I'm with you on this. I have a Great Planes ElectriFly C-35 ESC (https://www.redrockethobbies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GPMM2035) in my Twin Star II, and it has a little momentary pushbutton with two tiny LEDs; you can mount this anywhere you want (within six inches of the ESC, that is). You have to push and hold the button for a second or two to turn the system on. A red LED shows that power is on; a blue LED doesn't come on until you've armed by motor by going full throttle (you hear 4 beeps), then throttle off (you hear 2 beeps).

Compared to this, my other two planes feel awkward, being "live" as soon as I plug the battery in. (Sure, their ESCs have an arming sequence, too, but like the extra step of a switch.)

redgiki
06-20-2006, 11:19 PM
I, too, like the Electrifly system. Arming by "shutting off the throttle" has resulted in a prop bite for me before when I accidentally bumped the throttle, and one wrecked plane when, due to a radio hit, my plane took off without me!

Much better to have the full down/full up/full down system, IMHO.

rclark
06-21-2006, 12:21 AM
I prefer the KISS principle. No switches. Battery is the switch! In fact, I cut the bulky one off the one Jeti 18 ESC I own (the rest are CCs and a couple of GPs). Really dislike them switches.... I always arm the motor back in the pit area -- even my big CAP232 40E. Just treat the prop as 'live' (just like a gun, or just like the glow guys who 'start' thier motors on the bench and even pick up thier plane with a spinning prop and walk to the taxiway with it!!!!) . Everything is ready to go. Of course it is only a couple of steps from the bench to setting the plane down too! The advantage of glow is when the motor is stopped ... it isn't going to auto restart -- no matter how fast the dive :p !!

By the way, I am not holding the Tx while I am setting the plane on the ground. I leave it on the bench in its stand while I walk out to the flight line with the plane. Then walk back for the Tx, hook up the neck strap, and walk to an available flight station and do the final flight check and taxi out. If I really feel the need to be careful I hit the throttle hold button on Tx, so bumping the throttle stick doesn't start anything. Know what? That throttle hold button got me once! Tossed a fast ACE P-51 out at full throttle and ... that's where it stayed for the whole flight until the ESC cut! I was sweating bullets that flight! Turns out I hit the button on my bulky winter coat when I tossed.... Of course I figured that out after the fact! Anyway no switchs for me....

Jrb's idea of a shorting plug looks like a good one if switches are your thing... Tis a nice P-51 too. This winter I'll have to pull down the HOB .20 P-51 kit and start that project to get a P-51 flying...

adhoc
06-21-2006, 12:31 AM
. . . Just treat the prop as 'live' (just like a gun . . .Well, don't most guns have safety switches? {smile}

Sounds like maybe a bit of a culture difference... you talk about the "pit area", the "bench", and the "flight line"... Those of us flying in parks just walk out to the middle of a big grassy field and fly... At best, the closest thing we have to a work area is the back of our car/truck... {smile} Or sometimes, if we're lucky, a picnic table...

rclark
06-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, firearms have safety switches (well most do)... but you still treat the gun as 'loaded' :) . Never point the gun at anything you don't wish to shoot....period....

middle of a big grassy field and fly
If you are in the middle of a big grassy field, then it's you, the plane, and the TX. Put the battery in ... stand up (or sit in your easy chair) ... flight check .... and fly.... No need to move the plane (or yourself) anywhere :) . Should be even safer!! However you still 'should' establish a 'flight line' so you are always flying in front of you with no people in the flight area :) . Hey, I fly a bit in parks too :) . My bigger planes though go to the club field.

FYI, one of the biggest errors I've found with glow/gas guys new to EP, is the order in which they do things. In EP, we say "TX ON First, OFF Last". The glow guys tend to load the battery ... flip rx switch if there is one ... and then power up Tx. Tis a hard habit to break I guess when you are used to flipping Rx switch on plane, power up Tx, and then start the engine. When the motor cuts, turn off radio, walk out and turn the Rx switch off and carry plane back to the pits.

Old Fart
06-21-2006, 05:20 PM
I've noticed this when my glow buddies come to the field - they're appalled that I leave my throttle stick all the way up when I put the TX back in the flight box (all my ESC's are Castle).

Only plane with a switch on it is the GP Corsair, and that only because I have to pull the wing to install the batteries. Maxx Products builds a small switch that plugs in between the ESC and receiver, so far my prop hasn't moved at all with it off (but I still stay clear of that 12x8!)

Saint Maurice
07-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Maxx Products International, Inc.
http://www.maxxprod.com (http://www.maxxprod.com/)

Arming Switch

A must for large scale electric airplanes. Simply plug into the fuselage side. Plug or unplug the connector key to turn the power on and off. Compatible with Ultra Dean's connector. 6970

$8.95 :eek: To Order Go To:

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html#Miracle%20Switch (http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html#Miracle%20Switch)

pilotpete2
07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
St. Maurice,
Looks very nice, good tip;)
I prefer not to use an arming switch, the planes I am currently flying have great battery access, and like Old Fart I use CC controllers;) and I hope eventually to have a Tx with throttle lock, great for electrics and greasers:cool:, but I can see the need in some large scale setups where the battery is not easily accessed.
Pete

FlyBri
08-14-2006, 06:20 AM
I have had a few problems with accedently bumping the throtle while getting ready to fly. Last night I was going to fly my Stryker. I turned on the TX pluged in the battery, as I was closing the hatch when my TX, that was hanging around my neck brushed up against my belly and opened full throtle.... The plane jumped foward and the prop got 2 fingers. I couldnt get to the TX cause the plane was pushing at my chest and the TX was under it. So I pushed the plane away from me and then was able to pull the throtle back.
I now have a rubberband looped around the the handle, wrapped under the TX and up over the throtle to hold it down untill I and ready to launch the plane. Now if I bump it, It will not stay opend up and the rubberband will pull the throtle back.

No damage what so ever to the plane :) However I had to go and get 4 stitches:(
Yea the plane won .. My friends now call it the Slicer f-27