PDA

View Full Version : how long to recharge batteries (undrained)

pace_likethesalsa
10-04-2005, 07:57 PM
I have some nimh packs that I was going to use on friday, but could not due to circumstances out of my control. Thus they were charged Fri. evening, and havent been used. How long should I keep them plugged in to just top them off for today?

Usual charge is 2.5 hours, book says if I dont use within 12 hours, give a 1/2 hour long charge to refill, but it has been several days...

rcers
10-04-2005, 08:14 PM
I take it you do not have a peak detect charger?

Self discharge in NiMh is fairly high, I would plug it in for 30 minutes and you will be good.

I would highly recommend a good peak detection charger then you don't have to guess. It will fill them up and stop charging. nice.

Mike

pace_likethesalsa
10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks! I need to first invest in a real plane and 4ch radio before getting the convenience stuff, but I will definitly look into it :)

Warden
10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
If you have a mutimeter, just put it on DC volts and monitor the voltage of the pack. When the pack voltage stops going up and starts going down, the pack is fully charged.

GeraldRosebery
10-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Generally, the rate of self discharge is limited during the first few days as long at temperatures are reasonable. I wouldn't worry during the first 3-4 days and really the first week. After a week, recharge before using.

hoppy
10-07-2005, 11:05 PM
I have some nimh packs that I was going to use on friday, but could not due to circumstances out of my control. Thus they were charged Fri. evening, and havent been used. How long should I keep them plugged in to just top them off for today?

Under normal conditions, NiMH cells lose 1/64 (+/-) of their capacity per day. In a week, about 10%. 30 min sounds reasonable if 10% makes a difference to you..