PDA

View Full Version : Let's say you had $1000 to spend towards RC...

mteeb
02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey, Everybody, I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd take the plunge and start a thread. I'm new to the whole RC thing but I'm afraid I've got it bad. I spend hours upon hours reading forum posts, checking out new equipment and videos. Well Heliproz just called to say my Blade CX2 is on its way and my RC fever went up a notch.

Anyway, if you had $1000 (or your country's equivalant) to spend excusively on RC related things what would you get right now.

I'm estimating pricing.

DX7 Transmitter ($350)
F-27B Stryker (~$170)
Traxxas E-Maxx RC Truck (~$350)
The rest would go towards a Trex 450SE (or more likely saved for repairs)

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 06:06 PM
I'd have to take that $1000 and use it to pay off the credit cards I ran up buying R/C stuff in the first place! :rolleyes:

By the way, Welcome to the site and welcome to the addiction! :D

mteeb
02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
I guess I haven't gotten the fever that bad :) and I do have a loving wife...and I'd like to keep it that way.

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I do have a loving wife...and I'd like to keep it that way.

Fortunately, so do I! :)

oracle_9
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Either 250 servos, or 83 brushless 20A controllers, or 45 brushless motors :)

mteeb
02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
welcome to the addiction! :D

I've had alot of interests (guitar, reading, writing, computers, I even taught karate for a few years), but I've never been obsessed with anything until now.

At least once a day I have to start a sentence to my wife with "I know you don't care but..." or "This will be the last time I mention helis" or "I know I said I wouldn't mention them again, but..."

And of course I'd become addicted when the weather is horrible. I'm just going to have to hope I get enough back from my tax return to start doing something RC related.

Thanks for the welcome, Gary. I lurk on a few different forums, but this one has a nice homey feel.

aviatordave
02-01-2007, 06:25 PM
$300 bucks for a new digital camera
$300 bucks for a digital downlink from Blackwidow
$150 bucks for GPS
$150 bucks for a used pdc-10 autopilot

all goes on a rc plane!

$100 for dinner & flowers to let my wife forget about the other $900 bucks :D

Its not hard at all to spend that much nowadays :rolleyes:

Dave

Rugar
02-01-2007, 06:31 PM
A $1000 isn't to hard to spend in this hobby. That's how much the plane in my avatar cost me to put together. Rest its sole :eek:.

mteeb
02-01-2007, 06:32 PM
A $1000 isn't to hard to spend in this hobby.

I'm starting to realize that.

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 06:39 PM

Now why don't I ever think about that!

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 06:45 PM
A $1000 isn't to hard to spend in this hobby. That's how much the plane in my avatar cost me to put together. Rest its sole :eek:.

"Rest its sole"

That's the part of this hobby I have the most trouble with. Spend hours (and lots of money) putting a plane together and it can get totally destroyed in a matter of seconds. I guess I've been lucky so far. I've only crashed one plane (seriously) and it was only an RTF cheapie. I have some much more expensive ones in the works. I dread to think about the possibilities that one or more of them may become a pile of broken balsa. :(

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 06:47 PM
I lurk on a few different forums, but this one has a nice homey feel.

Yeah, there is a really good bunch of people here. This is one of the nicer forums I've ever been on. :)

Hey if these people can tolerate me.....
(especially after a couple of "Old Hens" :D )

Grasshopper
02-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Oh Gary, it WILL happen to you too. I went years without a single crash and then in a matter of a few weeks, I crashed my Spitfire (it's back to new again) and demolished my Extra 260. The old saying goes that you have a good laugh, pick up the pieces and move on. Gotta love this hobby.

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh Gary, it WILL happen to you too. I went years without a single crash and then in a matter of a few weeks, I crashed my Spitfire (it's back to new again) and demolished my Extra 260. The old saying goes that you have a good laugh, pick up the pieces and move on. Gotta love this hobby.

Oh, I know it will! With my luck it will be the nicest most expensive plane I have at the time. Really I think the only reason I haven't had a "real" crash so far is I've been flying in the field out back. Having 2 foot high grass to drop planes in will do wonders for cushioning any "bad landing". I've slammed a few in and had no damage at all.

EpoweredRc
02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the site mteeb, where glad to have you here, a lot of great folks and time on this site.
If i had $1,000 Right this sec I would have to say
$200 would go for a brushless system for my blade CP Pro heli. (motor ,esc and gyro)
$250.00 Would be for a brushless system for my RC Truck
$250 For a new radio ( for my planes and heli)
$150 for me a Lipo charger
$150 left would be to buy me a dewalt battery pack to make a pack for my RC truck with and whatever was left would be for parts for my helis,trucks and planes.

WOW that $1,000 went super fast didn't it....
Yes I fly planes, helis, and run RC trucks... having 3 hobbies at once is expensive. OH wait, $50 of that would go for me a new Microphone for my CB radio Thats another hobbie of mine and my Cobra 148 needs a new Mic. so I guess I wouldnt have anything left.
Again welcome to the site and this Great hobbie.

frvrngn
02-01-2007, 07:06 PM
$1000 doesnt get far at all anymore! I remember when I first started this hobby about a year and a half ago. Wife bought me a Slo-V for my b-day. "Look honey, you can get into RC Flying cheap now!" Ahem... cough... cough... ya riiiiight. It starts cheap. Then you start adding batteries so you can fly more often. Then you need spare parts like servos, props, building supplies, etc etc etc. Then its "Hey" that new computer radio would make my life easier. Then its "Hey" check out that new model that just came out! And it just keeps spiraling out of countrol :eek:

Just recently I started to add up what I had spent in the last year and its really scary to say the least. You dont really realize it when its a lipo pack here, a brushless motor there, a pack of servos, etc... My cheap little hobby that started with the Slo-V is not so cheap now! Now I have several planes, a pile of spares, a box of lipos, two chargers, even a few radios hanging around since I started with the ubiquitous 3CH Hitec Neon before getting the computer radio I should have (along with the Parkzone radios).

I sure love this hobby though! :D

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Really, I could go through that $1000 pretty quick once I figure out what I need for a plane I'm planning to build. I just ordered the Adrian Page 80" Super Cub kit for $159. I want to use the Robart 1/5 scale landing gear for cubs. That's another $130. Then there's the lighting system (hey, gotta have clearance, strobe and landing lights for something like this). Probably another $100 or so for lights. I'm sure there are lots of little pieces I'll need along the way. Figure in at least another $100 for misc hardware. I've never covered a plane before so I have no idea what that's going to cost. Probably another $200 or so. The Brushless motor, ESC and especially the big LiPos ($250 each?) for this are going to pretty much eat up the rest, if there is anything left and I doubt there will be. I haven't added it up but already I'm starting to see lots of red ink here.

Hmmm, maybe I'd better not think about it. :eek:

mteeb
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, maybe I'd better not think about it. :eek:

That's my philosophy. If I don't think about it then it's not that bad.

Kind of lke sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling "I can't hear you." when you get to the register at your LHS. (Or since I don't have a LHS I put my finger over the price on my computer when clicking NEXT.)

Rugar
02-01-2007, 07:26 PM
"Rest its sole"

That's the part of this hobby I have the most trouble with. Spend hours (and lots of money) putting a plane together and it can get totally destroyed in a matter of seconds. I guess I've been lucky so far. I've only crashed one plane (seriously) and it was only an RTF cheapie. I have some much more expensive ones in the works. I dread to think about the possibilities that one or more of them may become a pile of broken balsa. :(

The plane was destroyed but all my equipment came out without a scratch, including the $300.00 Lipo pack. I have a fresh kit sitting here (the cheap part) to build another one. Just haven't got around to it yet.

rea59
02-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Parts for my Corsair

One AXI 5330 Double $750
Two 10S2P Lipo's $800
Two 90W ESC's $400

Whoops! Ran out of money already.:rolleyes: And I still need the scale landing gear. :eek:

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 08:38 PM
The plane was destroyed but all my equipment came out without a scratch, including the $300.00 Lipo pack. I have a fresh kit sitting here (the cheap part) to build another one. Just haven't got around to it yet.

It's strange but I said above how I'd only had one real crash. Actually there were two. I tend to put the ill fated MUS maiden out of my head and try to forget it ever happened but your mention of the $300 Lipo coming out without damage reminded me. Oh well. :rolleyes:

NYCstevo
02-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Welcome - I'm new here also (as you can see) and love this forum... a lot of great help here! It's an awesome source of information on everything electric rc!

In the beginning I did basically the same thing you are thinking about - I got an E-maxx, Blade CP, and I flew my brother-in-laws J3 cub... I decided about $700 later that I liked planes best so I have been dropping my money into that... and WOW do things add up! =)

It's a really awesome hobby though.I do like to fly my Blade cp though... fun heli... =) Good luck!

mteeb
02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I decided about $700 later that I liked planes best so I have been dropping my money into that... and WOW do things add up!

I guess I'd consider myself a Heli man right now, but I got a cheap little mini flyer (not even up to the AHAA) and I have to say I love flying it around. It's alot less stressful.:D

rea59
02-01-2007, 11:23 PM
mteeb,

Your about 120 miles from me (not counting going up and down hills):)

I like your saying "What does this button do?" I tell all the new operators of the machinery I work with "I don't know, Let's push it and find out":D

Welcome to the sport.

Ray

Airhead
02-02-2007, 12:39 AM
I guess I haven't gotten the fever that bad :) and I do have a loving wife...and I'd like to keep it that way.
Welcome aboard Mteeb,

I also am fortunate enough to have a Loving Wife, but I also have this model plane addiction........So, where do I have to go to get that thousand dollars??;)

airmail wf
02-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Welcome aboard Mteeb,

I also am fortunate enough to have a Loving Wife, but I also have this model plane addiction........So, where do I have to go to get that thousand dollars??;)

Hey Airhead, Don't ask anybody here. We all spent it before we even got it. One thing about RC people........we know how to spend money;) :D.

"NO honey that's not a new plane. I've had that for a long time":rolleyes: :D

mteeb
02-02-2007, 01:55 AM
mteeb,

Your about 120 miles from me (not counting going up and down hills):)

I like your saying "What does this button do?" I tell all the new operators of the machinery I work with "I don't know, Let's push it and find out":D

Welcome to the sport.

Ray

I've got a BS in computer science from Richmond, KY. If it's the midway I'm thinking I use to drive a girl to a college there (all girl college I think).

mteeb
02-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Welcome aboard Mteeb,

Do you think I would tell you that? That's the kind of knowledge an addict is likely to keep to himself.:D

But if you hook me up with some of your leftovers I may give you a clue.;)

rea59
02-02-2007, 02:43 AM
I've got a BS in computer science from Richmond, KY. If it's the midway I'm thinking I use to drive a girl to a college there (all girl college I think).

I live right on the corner of the property. And yes it is an all girl college; Why do you think I live here.:D

redneckflyer
02-02-2007, 03:10 AM
I wish I had friggin $1000 to spend!:mad: Me and my dad would find plans and build one out of "fan fold insulation foam" equaling about $10. Then go ape crap on all the electronics! Equaling around $990!;) That may sound stupid, but the best plane I have is a diablo that my dad built out of "fan fold" going on free plans we found at 3D batix.com.:cool: That cost all of $7 of materials to build, and then put about $200 of electronics on it.;)

I will probably never have a better 3D plane in my life. That is no exaggeration! Come to think about it, nearly all my better planes is "fan fold" planes that my dad built!

And he is in the process of building a big 3D airplane called the twist!
I LOVE MY DAD!!:D

EpoweredRc
02-02-2007, 03:27 AM
homemade planes are great, I love my delta.

aviatordave
02-02-2007, 04:28 AM
I live right on the corner of the property. And yes it is an all girl college; Why do you think I live here.:D

I spent some time in Helena Montana a long time ago. They had a all girl college there.......oh the memories :)

mteeb
02-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Very good point, but I would think it'd be easy to be distracted while flying. A fiery crash doesn't really impress the ladies...or does it?

On a side note, one time when I was there that girl and I saw a man slam on his breaks, jump out of his vehicle, open the hood and proceed to throw water on his flaming carburetor.

Tinman
02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
$300 bucks for a new digital camera
$300 bucks for a digital downlink from Blackwidow
$150 bucks for GPS
$150 bucks for a used pdc-10 autopilot

all goes on a rc plane!

Its not hard at all to spend that much nowadays :rolleyes:

Dave

Your a smart guy Dave, good thinking about spending a hundred bucks on your wife! :D