PDA

View Full Version : New To R/C Airplanes...

SchnuppeR
10-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Hey as the title says im new to r/c airplanes, i am NOT new to r/c though. I run 1/10 nitro stadium trucks and i have experience with boats.
Now its time for me to ask some questions and recive some oppinions on a begginers airplane.
1. What would be a good starter plane? (Foam..Duh its under the Foamies Forum) I was thinking about building the NASTY http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390003 but i wasnt sure if that would be a good starter plane
2. Could you also reccomend a power setup? (motor, ESC, batt.)

Elfwreck
10-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Hey now,
Prolly not the best model to start with. Are you doing this alone or with experienced pilots?
If you're alone you'd be better off with a GWS Slow Stick.
Ugly nasty little thing but it's very easy to fly, and it'll fly well with the supplied motor.
They also make a cabin job, the e-starter, I think. "full house" meaning ailerons, elevator, rudder, and throttle so you start learning ailerons right away (I personally think this is better), but it's a bit harder to fly.
If you go with the estarter go with an Eflite 400 motor (the "inrunner") mounted in the GWS gear box, good batteries (liPos if you have the bread), and a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC. This way you'll already have the set up for a GWS war bird or Formosa (all good second planes).
After those the same motor etc will be great on many of the park sized 3d models, from the Eflite Ultimate bipe to their Edge 540 and pretty much any other model under thirty ounces depending on how you play with the gear ratios. Now I'm sure I've totaly confused you so ask more questions and I'll try to clear this up.
RobII

SchnuppeR
10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
nope you havent confused me at all.
I know what im doing im extreamly good with electronics and like i said before i have experience with r/c so go ahead and use whatever terms you want. I will be building myself but there are experienced pilots every weekend that can help me to fly with that buddy cable.
So i might just go with that slow stick if its really durrable (everyones reviews seem to be indicating it is a supurb airplane that is durrable)
So i might do that.
Anyone else?