PDA

View Full Version : AAArrrrggghhh, trying to get Parkzone Decathlon to fly...

bugjam1999
10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi all,

Bought a job lot of three parkzone planes from ebay :) and the decathlon is the most trainer like so thats the one i'm trying to learn to fly first... Problem is, it doesn't seem to want to! it seems very underpowered, I can only get it about 20m away at most before it tipstalls and hits the ground, i can't get it to climb at all :(

I have bought a 9X4.7 and an 8X6 prop for it after reading the various discussions about it on the net, unfortunately no-one here in the UK seems to stock a replacement motor the right size so i can't buy that venom motor everyone is raving about :(

In retrospect i think maybe i'm using the control surfaces too much before it gets to flying speed which is what is bleeding off airspeed and making it stall so easily. Sound likely?

As the guy i bought it from obviously thought he was going to crash a lot I have 4 sets of wings with it... and so have bought some plastic sheet with the idea of adding a 1" set of flaps to one set of wings to increase the wing area and reduce the wing loading somewhat. The 2 channel glider i used to have was a doddle to fly comared to this! Flaps sound like a good idea?

I've also bought a prop saver with the new props since i broke the gearbox and don't fancy replacing that part too often!

All suggestions welcome... from the sounds of things this plane should just about fly itself... wish mine would!

suggestions welcome, comments invited...

Oh as a newbie, i'm drinking Caffreys, what'll ya have?

Bug.

hoppy
10-06-2005, 05:06 PM
I've seen a guy trying to fly one of those and he was having a problem. His wings were warped and it kept rolling left and into the ground. What surprised me was how tough the plane is.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "In retrospect i think maybe I'm using the control surfaces too much before it gets to flying speed which is what is bleeding off airspeed and making it stall so easily. Sound likely?" Try correcting that...... remember, altitude is your friend.

flypaper 2
10-06-2005, 07:02 PM
On a low powered plane it's a fine balance between power and attitude. The lower the power the lower the climb angle. In fact you may be able to get it to climb better just with up trim and let it climb on its own. Also don't try to do any sharp, high bank turns. That loses altitude quickly. Nice big wide turns with just a bit of up el. to keep from losing altitude. You might try a batt. with one more cell for a bit more poop. Hope this helps.

Don Sims
10-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Also, please be sure your prop is not on backwards. That can cause problems for a new pilot and old ones.

Glacier Girl
10-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Also make sure your packs are fully charged. An undercharged pack will not have the power to get you aloft.

lomcevak
10-18-2005, 03:19 AM
if you like the park zone planes, try the pipercub. it is vrtually the same as the decathlon, same controls, but 2 oz. lighter a better flyer in my book. tried the decathlon and experienced the same trouble. as said before, check the wings for warps. both mine were warped out of the box. careful application with a heat gun while twistin will get it out. keep the gun a good distance away and keep it moving. dont get closer then 6 inches, i ruined one wing already. that decathlon likes speed and judicious application of control. not a good one to crank around. i put a 9x5 prop on the cub and it climbs much better
good luck