PDA

View Full Version : Charger???? Which one?

tailskid
07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Red, the following is a question poised by a club member on our club web page....could you give your suggestion(s)?

"
Also, does anyone have any knowledge of or any experience using the "Multiplex LN 5014" charger. It is show in Tower Hobbies and given positive comments by Red Schoffield on RC Universe. I would appreciate any comments you would have on this charger also.

As I recall in Tower Hobbies the Triton runs about $129.00 and the Multiplex runs about $82.00. Any comments would be helpful."

Jerry

Red Scholefield
07-31-2005, 07:59 PM
I suggest they look at the technical description given for the charger. I have tested one and find it a very good buy for under $85. I will do just about everything the Triton can do except for the battery memory and some other rather trivial functions.

atlav8r
08-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I have used this charger here in our shop and just love it. Up to 5 cells! and other types of packs too. Nice value in an all in one charger.
Good Winds

dcfreefall
08-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Hello,

I am new to flying, within the last year or so and I am looking into getting more involved. I hope to be purchasing a combat wing shortly. Because I love to fly and want to be able to fly for long periods from the field I am searching for a good fairly inexpensive charger. I saw the triton but it looks like it requires many other pieces of equipment to charge my batters. The only reason I was considering the Triton is because it handles Lipo's. I am looking at doing some indoor flying this winter and know that those are lighter and better for indoor planes.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

rcers
08-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Hello,

I am new to flying, within the last year or so and I am looking into getting more involved. I hope to be purchasing a combat wing shortly. Because I love to fly and want to be able to fly for long periods from the field I am searching for a good fairly inexpensive charger. I saw the triton but it looks like it requires many other pieces of equipment to charge my batters. The only reason I was considering the Triton is because it handles Lipo's. I am looking at doing some indoor flying this winter and know that those are lighter and better for indoor planes.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

Are you only going to be charging LiPoly cells, or do you need a charger for LiPoly and Nicad/NiMh?

The Multiplex Red recommends above looks great. It will only require a 12v power sorce (as will 95% of all chargers) and a charge lead.

If you are only doing LiPoly I would recommend the new GP LiPoly charge, it does 4 batteries at a time!...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAU0&P=ML

Mike

debhicks
08-10-2005, 10:38 AM
We just started using the multiplex and it's cute and does the job. It is now in our field box. The only thing is don't leave this one in the sun too long. It is an all alluminum case and you'll let go of it fast. It gets quite warm. From the sun shine not from use.

Learned that last Saturday at an expo we were invited to. Left it in the back of the trailer. When we got ready to go and put everything up I picked up the cute little thing and just about dropped it. LCD's don't like heat in the first place and we were not thinking, but we won't make that mistake again. :) We are trainable afterall.

You can also see it at http://willstech.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=547&osCsid=0c5875f341f49124b422df518bf57eaf

dcfreefall
08-10-2005, 01:34 PM
RCERS,

I will be charging all types of batteries including Nimh and Nicad. I am looking for something that will work at home as well as at the field easily.

debhicks
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
You can easily charge using DC equipment by getting a power supply for the house. Pyramid has a nice 6 amp 8 amp surge power supply that is just right for your chargers.

An all battery charge that we have just received is the multiplex multi charger. It does them all.

We have jump batteries that we carry in our field trailer. We charge all our batteries at the field. The jump batteries work well and I believe, if we don't go camping or to a show and use the computer, the battery we use lasts all flying season before it needs to be charged. I can go through 6 NiMH packs an hour. Or use the lipo and go through one of them an hour or more. Or you could simply hook up a quick disconnect system to your car battery and use that.

Quick disconnects are wires you would put on your battery with good wire that when disconnected you could secure under the hood and would not draw anything until you plug in your charger.

Just suggestions. I'll get a picture up of the quick disconnect on the website in a few minutes. It should be there anyway. Link is in the signature.

rcers
08-10-2005, 02:11 PM
RCERS,

I will be charging all types of batteries including Nimh and Nicad. I am looking for something that will work at home as well as at the field easily.

I would go with the Multiplex. You will need a power supply for AC use, as 98% of all chargers are 12v DC in.

No biggie, lots of PS (including PC power supplies) that are fairly cheap and do the job well.

Mike

rahtware
08-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Debbie

You call those little hills mountains...:D

OK, on to more serious stuff. I have a Triton that I hook up to a converted 'puter power supply for in-the-house use. A friend of mine is getting ready to bite-the-bullet and buy a "good" charger and I have been pushing the "T", but is seems that you prefer the MPx. Have you used both? Should I be steering him towards the Multiplex?

Slent thndr
08-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Hello,

Any suggestions.

Thanks

I am glad to see someone else who like combat wings. I have an XE2 and love it. My advice on the charger is to just get the triton. It is by far the Best charger for your money i think. Look around... everyone has it.

debhicks
08-13-2005, 01:12 PM
I haven't used the Triton but The multiplex is really a good charger. We like it because it is a multi-charger and is at a good price. I can tell you that the price we show on the website for the multiplex is the MAP. Manufactures Advertised Price requirement. ;)

We just started using the multi-plex as we have an alpha 4 for the nicads, ni-mh and the astro flight 109 for lipo's. I have used the pinacle charger and that is a really good charger. I like the ease of use. The multiplex will allow us to significantly reduce our flight box requirements.

A good power supply for hooking up your 12 V stuff at the house is a pyramid 6 amp 8 amp surge. They run about 39.99 with a two year warranty. So don't let the 12 volt stuff scare you off. You can sometimes find them factory refurbished and still have the two year warranty. We have personally used and sold them for years with no problems. They have a 26amp one too. We usually keep a factory refurbished one in stock primarily for my cb customers who like to bring their power in from the truck. Those are less than $100.00. But they are heavy. :eek:

So those are what we have used/sold. We try to use everything we sell so we know how to operate the equipment. :rolleyes:

:p My husband likes to monitor everything so chargers that give lots of data are cool for him. The multiplex gives data (will charge all), the pinnacle gives data, the Astroflights give data. Again, I don't know about the triton.

I can say that with the astoflight nicd and nimh battery maintenance we have been running the same packs for 5 years with no significant loss of performance. :D We did pay a lot for the matched packs but 5 years of use, seems well worth the investment. Lipo's. He has been flying the same pack on his shock flyer for almost 2 years. Those are our experiences.

debhicks
08-13-2005, 01:22 PM
[quote=rahtware]Debbie

You call those little hills mountains...:D

quote]

MMMM. Mountains. Well considering I grew up in Colorado, no not really. One of the funniest things I hear constantly here on the CB Radio is the truck drivers complaining about the curves and grades here.

I'd hate to see them on the Rocky Mountain Continental Divide. I suppose by the time they got to the bottom they would have aged about 20 years.

But it's pretty and green. Unfortunatly the housing market here is gotten so out of control that a working stiff can't afford to live here anymore. So it's pretty tough. But for what they are, they are pretty.

If you live in California you may get some of the benifits of watching the season change and the color.

There is something cool about flying your quiet electric slow flying plane down a line of multi colors in the fall. It's a peaceful time. Love it.

Slent thndr
08-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Isn't it annoying that the new chargers need a power supply for charging at home? They do that so that they dont have to go through all the ul certification. But you dont need to buy a $100 power supply. Any old PC Power Supply will do the trick.

butaye
08-18-2005, 05:41 AM
I think i might have a bad Multiplex LN-5014! I have used Parkzone peak chargers on NiCD (7.2v) & NiMH (8.4v) batteries. The NiCD read 8.3v (digital VOM) after PZ peak charge, however, after 2hrs. @1.8A the same batt only read 8.0v today. Am i missing something? Thanx for any info. - puzzled

Red Scholefield
08-18-2005, 11:01 AM
I think i might have a bad Multiplex LN-5014! I have used Parkzone peak chargers on NiCD (7.2v) & NiMH (8.4v) batteries. The NiCD read 8.3v (digital VOM) after PZ peak charge, however, after 2hrs. @1.8A the same batt only read 8.0v today. Am i missing something? Thanx for any info. - puzzled

Was this the voltage while still on charge or what it peaked at? If so it is low in both cases. Let the packs cool down to room temperature and see what you get. You may have a cell going that is pulling down the over all voltagel. Probe each cell with a pin through the sleeve to see if all the cells read the same.

Plane_freak
09-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Buy the Great Planes Triton. It will even charge a lead-acid (car Battery) as long as you have a power supply or more batteries. It is fairly easy to program with a ten battery memory.:D

N3CLI
09-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Larry

Being a Pharmacist I had to take Latin in college and have used that same expression many times. Have not seen it in print for some time.

I have a triton and it seems to do everything well once you get past the instruction set.

Fred:)

rahtware
09-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Fred

I live by it.

As for the Triton, I'm about to buy #2. My only complaints are:

1. I still haven't figured out the memory function, and

2. It is very sensitive to lead lengths. I couldn't get it to charge a couple of batteries until I shortened the leads from 3' down to 6".

butaye
09-01-2005, 09:03 PM
The problem was NOT the Muitiplex LN-5014 charger...Just my failure to follow the instructions. Don't you just love it when the equipment smarter than the user! Having reread the procedure (before shipping it back) I have spend many hours in the field using this charger, works great. Happy Happy Joy Joy TTFN

Gliderbill
09-04-2005, 01:41 AM
I give up!
What does it mean????????????Larry

Being a Pharmacist I had to take Latin in college and have used that same expression many times. Have not seen it in print for some time.

I have a triton and it seems to do everything well once you get past the instruction set.

N3CLI
09-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Gliderbill

It translates to DON't LET THE B'S ( b word ) WEAR YOU DOWN.

Good advice, life is to short. Spend your time flying and enjoy.

mwhitman
09-06-2005, 06:24 PM
I like the Hobbico Accu-cycle Elite battery cycler. It has banana plugs for the power input so you can plug it into the included DC power supply or the included alligator clips if you want to charge right off a car battery. You can also get a 12V cigarette lighter adapter (Hangar 9 makes one that I purchased from wholesaletrains.com) which has banana jacks so you don't have to open your hood of you want to charge from your car.

debhicks
09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
I like the Hobbico Accu-cycle Elite battery cycler. It has banana plugs for the power input so you can plug it into the included DC power supply or the included alligator clips if you want to charge right off a car battery. You can also get a 12V cigarette lighter adapter (Hangar 9 makes one that I purchased from wholesaletrains.com) which has banana jacks so you don't have to open your hood of you want to charge from your car.

If you go get a jump battery from Walmart, K-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Auto Zone, etc...... you won't have to use your cig lighter plug or open the hood of your vehicle.

:confused: Some of these cigarette lighter plugs are rated max at 10 amp. That may be plenty of amperage for your chargers, on that issue I am not sure. Like the independant charging system that way you have a back up. And if you run your vehicle battery down charging all day at the field, you'll have a jump battery to start. They are very handy. :)

N3CLI
09-07-2005, 02:33 PM
You are right, I bought a 12 volt sealed 17 amp. battery that I take to the field in the new Du-Bro electro Caddy bag. Everythink fits in one small bag, battery, charger, spare battery, some light tools and my transmitter.

I am flying park flyers at this time that are NiMh.

I have a very large battery in my MB 500 S that could charge the world, but the hood is so long and heavy I keep it closed. ( wish the gas milage was better)

In one of your threads you mentioned that you and your husband use an Astro 110 D for NiMh packs. What are your feelings about that charger?

Thanks Debby:)

Fred Copeland RPh
AMA 68196

Unbalanced prop
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
In one of your threads you mentioned that you and your husband use an Astro 110 D for NiMh packs. What are your feelings about that charger?

I used a 110 D to charge 10 cell packs (GP 3300), smaller 6, 7 and 8 cell packs and transmitter packs. It worked flawlessly for about a year and a half. I then switched to lithium batteries and converted the 110 D to a 109 lithium charger. All you have to do is replace a $10 chip on the board and it becomes a lipo charger.:cool:

Doug

debhicks
09-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Love our astro chargers both of them. Been using them for years. Have to say however that we are primarily using the Multiplex charger now for everything. I just mentioned to Will this weekend we could downsize a case of chargers as the Multiplex will fit nicely in the flight box. Now we have a case for batteries, case for transmitters and a case for chargers. Could probably put the multiplex in the same case as the batteries too. For the flight box, the only reason we carry that anymore is for others at the field. We rarely use it ourselves unless we are looking for a rubber band. :)

Since our glow fleet is grounded at this moment. :(.

The Astro chargers are great reliable chargers. Been around for a long time doing chargers. Something to be said for consistancy.

We have been running some battery packs going on 6 years now. Been looking at how long we have been back in the hobby. Some of our NiMi packs have a lot of age to them but they are working fine. My husband has taken a lot of time and studying and likes that technical stuff and it has paid off in battery packs. He has been known to squeeze new life into nicad's that have been poorly treated.

Hey good to know about that chip. Which one is it and where can you get it?

That is actually a new one, however once it is done you can't use it for NiMi and Nicad? Just curious. Sorry I am replying to two post in one.

debhicks
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I used a 110 D to charge 10 cell packs (GP 3300), smaller 6, 7 and 8 cell packs and transmitter packs. It worked flawlessly for about a year and a half. I then switched to lithium batteries and converted the 110 D to a 109 lithium charger. All you have to do is replace a $10 chip on the board and it becomes a lipo charger.:cool:

Doug

Doug,

Guess I'll ask this separately since we cross posted:) Do tell and share the chip. I'll assume then you can no longer use it for NiMh and Nicad after the conversion?

Just curious. :D

Unbalanced prop
09-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Doug,

Guess I'll ask this separately since we cross posted:) Do tell and share the chip. I'll assume then you can no longer use it for NiMh and Nicad after the conversion?

Just curious. :D

You are correct. Once it is converted, it basically becomes an AF 109 charger. No more NiMH or Nicad. Simply get an upgrade chip for a Lithium 109 charger and replace the one in the 110 D charger. I think this only works for the 110 D charger. Here is a link to the chip.

http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/0001iR3TInTZVfgVBk3p5r1/store/store-Accessories.html?link=/store/store-type-tem.html&item=products:af-550

Doug

inconel710
09-21-2005, 07:18 PM
How old was your 110D? I bought mine in '98 and was told by Astro that it could not be upgraded.

Unbalanced prop
09-21-2005, 07:40 PM
How old was your 110D? I bought mine in '98 and was told by Astro that it could not be upgraded.

Mine is about 2 1/2 years old. I really didn't "upgrade" it, I changed it to a 109 charger.:cool: I can't tell you if it would work on yours or not, but for $10 bucks, why not give it a shot.

Doug

N3CLI
09-21-2005, 07:46 PM
The 110 d must be able to discharge to be converted with the chip.

Only the newer 110 d's have the discharge feature.

inconel710
09-22-2005, 01:14 AM
That would not be mine. :-(

Thanks for the info.

Mac8
09-23-2005, 04:49 PM
I use the Astro 109 and Orbit pocklader for mostly home charging and recently purchased a Joycharger to charge lipos, NIHM, NICD for my portable battery/tool box. I wanted something small, lightweight, and nothing expensive just incase and this charger was perfect. Cost is $38 and available at http://www.vampowerpro.com/access.htm I was very surprised at the price because it does all the most popular batteries and other chargers in the same category cost twice. I fly only lipos and the charger came handy when my Tx battery/NIMH got low and almost ruined a whole day of flying.

Hope this helps,
Chuck