PDA

View Full Version : Kavan D Viii

K CLOSE
02-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi all,
I love D VIII's and grabbed a Kavan off Ebay. I searched the forum and did not see any postings about this kit. Anybody flying this kit? Any bad habits to be aware of? Just curious. I'm gonna stay pretty close to a stock build on this one I think, just hog out the battery box for a lipo and I can't abide a flying razor without a flat wing...
Cheers

WWI Ace
02-10-2007, 08:40 PM
I had the Kavan DR1 and it was a good plane once I put it on lipolys, got rid of the weak motor and gearbox. Don't get me wrong, it was a good plane just underpowered. Once I put an outrunner on it I had a great plane. Steve.

K CLOSE
02-11-2007, 06:07 AM
WWI Ace,
I never even thought of going brushless, just assumed it was too much of a "slow flyer" for that. What did you use, a BP21 or something else? Did it tuck under the cowl OK? Hmmm, an external rotor with a dummy radial attached spinnin' away:rolleyes: , I'm likeing this more and more. Damm and blast, why can't I seem to just build anything "out of the box" and leave it alone.

degreen60
02-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I build this about 2 months ago. Flew it with the motor and gear box that came with it. Not too many flights and the motor quit. I opened the motor and the comutator was shot. I put a 2410-09 in it on 6 cells and have tested it once, too cold to flight. I cut the firewall and installed the brushless motor back far enough that the spinner and cowl still fit. When I built mine I closed the top where the battery box opens. I installed battery on the bottom of the fuselage. I didn't put enough dihedral in the wings and it was hard to control so I installed flying and landing wires. I use the landing wires to pull dihedral into the wings. Also I made the landing gear legs with CF rod. I did not use push rods for the controls but use a pull pull system. The removable cockpit is held on with a manget.

degreen60
02-11-2007, 10:00 AM

Here are some pictures. One of the pictures shows the piece of foam I used to close the opening for the battery. The motor top is a tight fit on the foam. Another one shows the inside, batteries are on the bottom forward.

degreen60
02-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Temp this morning is 18F wind 3mph so I took the Albatross out for a flight. Flights fine with brushless setup. Now my fingers are so cold I can hardly type and the pilot hates me. HAHA

WWI Ace
02-11-2007, 09:09 PM
KCLOSE a bp21 would probably work. I had a Ultrafly outrunner on mine. I really think you'd like the plane better with a more powerful motor. You actually have more room than you think to put a outrunner in it. I had to build a little box out of liteply to get the motor out far enough!! I made the opening under the firewall a little bigger to use a bigger lipoly and have more cooling air flowing inside. You can always throttle back to fly scale and yes there is something about a outrunner in one of these planes that makes them feel more realistic!! Maybe it's all that rotating torque. Steve.

K CLOSE
03-28-2007, 03:52 PM
UPDATE- Started on the Dviii kit the other day and decided on a course of action. I pulled the plastic firewall off and modded the 'fuse ( enlarged battery box for 2s1p 1800 Lipos and cooling for same, also prepped for future BP12 outrunner) For now I re-installed the plastic firewall and will use the provided Kavan gearbox, only with a clocked 300 instead of a 280 (for the simple reason that I can not toss out brand new stuff-slightly used however:rolleyes: ) I took all of the dihedral out of the wing joint, however there is some molded into the wing I can't get out. I installed ailerons, with control rods entering the 'fuse via the cockpit. Now with pic goodness. This will also be my first attempt at inkjet printer water slide decals, any tips?:confused:

K CLOSE
04-05-2007, 03:28 AM
Sorry about last pic, it's kinda fuzzy and way too big. :mad: I was just trying to capture the flatness of the wing joint.
Cheers

K CLOSE
04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Just a few pic's of the project so far. I took these to post in the build thread under ink jet decals, but thought I'd put them here too:p So far so good. It's looking like it should be a nice little bird-heres hopeing.

degreen60
04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
UPDATE- Started on the Dviii kit the other day and decided on a course of action. I pulled the plastic firewall off and modded the 'fuse ( enlarged battery box for 2s1p 1800 Lipos and cooling for same, also prepped for future BP12 outrunner) For now I re-installed the plastic firewall and will use the provided Kavan gearbox, only with a clocked 300 instead of a 280 (for the simple reason that I can not toss out brand new stuff-slightly used however:rolleyes: ) I took all of the dihedral out of the wing joint, however there is some molded into the wing I can't get out. I installed ailerons, with control rods entering the 'fuse via the cockpit. Now with pic goodness. This will also be my first attempt at inkjet printer water slide decals, any tips?:confused:
Make sure you have a good coat of clear on the decals and let them dry over night before you place them in water. I have lots of files of WW1 unit Markings if you are interested.

degreen60
04-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Just a few pic's of the project so far. I took these to post in the build thread under ink jet decals, but thought I'd put them here too:p So far so good. It's looking like it should be a nice little bird-heres hopeing.
Where is the thread "ink jet decals" ?

TeslaWinger
04-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Nice D VIII, K! I always think of Bruno Stachel in the Blue Max movie wringing one out till the wing failed! I agree the worst thing for a "wayoff scale' plane is a load of dihedral where a flat wing should be!

Anthony Fokker was a genius! Good luck w 'er!

K CLOSE
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Tesla,
The Blue Max was one of the greatest movies ever! Inking up that death stamp before the cowd even gasps- classic stuff. This is a very early kit I think, as my Dad has the same kit and it's diffrent. Dads kit's wing sections are flat and will look much better, as well as many other diffrences. Fokker really was a genius, but judging from the courtmarshal over the D-VIII bit of an unscrupulious buisnessman :eek: .
Degreen60,
Absolutely I'm intrested in those files!!! Hit me on a PM, or better yet toss them up on the Build link. Which brings me to part 2, the link I'm talking about in here http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18028
Any tips and tricks will be very welcome.

degreen60
04-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Degreen60,
Absolutely I'm intrested in those files!!! Hit me on a PM, or better yet toss them up on the Build link. Which brings me to part 2, the link I'm talking about in here http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18028
Any tips and tricks will be very welcome.[/quote]

I started a new thread called WW1 decals and posted my unit files there.
Don

K CLOSE
05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Well,
I'm a TOOL. I've been so spoiled lately with my mod's going well I impetuously attempted a maiden BEFORE taking pictures of the finshed model. She was beautiful, but I got something very,very wrong. She would not fly, turning hard left dispite full right ailer. in an attempt to cancel. Three flight attempts rendered it near distroyed. I am going to re-assess the control surfaces, as I must have missed something.
DRAT.:{

degreen60
05-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Well,
I'm a TOOL. I've been so spoiled lately with my mod's going well I impetuously attempted a maiden BEFORE taking pictures of the finshed model. She was beautiful, but I got something very,very wrong. She would not fly, turning hard left dispite full right ailer. in an attempt to cancel. Three flight attempts rendered it near distroyed. I am going to re-assess the control surfaces, as I must have missed something.

Nice thing about foam, it breaks into large pieces. My Albatros has broken the fuselage and wing in two several times til I learned to fly better, even nose smashed 2 or 3 times. I just wet the edges with water and use Gorrila glue to repair. On the nose where it was folded I just pushed back into place and coated with Gorrila glue on the inside. Made the foam stronger.

degreen60
01-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Well,

Did you get the plane fixed and flying?

WWI Ace
01-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I hope he didn't give up!! Sounds like a very interesting plane! Steve

degreen60
01-05-2008, 05:28 PM
I hope he didn't give up!! Sounds like a very interesting plane! Steve

If he give up I would like to have the parts and pieces to see if I can put it back together and get it to fly.

K CLOSE
03-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Nah, I can't give up on this one, she really was very pretty when she was first done. I just kinda abandoned this thread, sorry guys. Shes still apart awaiting repairs. BUT- I did figure out my mistake---- I think????. Remember I said it was an older kit off ebay, well the wing jig was deformed and off. All the crashes tore off the landing gear, and when I started really looking carefully I realized the wing is off (left tip lower then right if I remember right) relative to the 'fuse. Once shes back on the build board I'll report here.
Thanks Guys

dbcisco
03-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Nah, I can't give up on this one, she really was very pretty when she was first done. I just kinda abandoned this thread, sorry guys. Shes still apart awaiting repairs. BUT- I did figure out my mistake---- I think????. Remember I said it was an older kit off ebay, well the wing jig was deformed and off. All the crashes tore off the landing gear, and when I started really looking carefully I realized the wing is off (left tip lower then right if I remember right) relative to the 'fuse. Once shes back on the build board I'll report here.
Thanks Guys

Glad you outbid me on that one then :D

Good luck with the repairs, hope you get it flying as nice as they look.

7car7
03-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I could be way off here, but it sure sounds like a classic case of no dihedral with a rudder only plane.

Even if the wing is lower on one side than the other (relative to the fuse), the wing will fly where it wants to, and the fuse will just have to follow. The way it flew, just sounds like my Jenny before I put on ailerons - it had almost no dihedral. It would start to bank, and not want to recover.

Ryan Flyer
06-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi 7car7, I saw this plane at K Close's house and it has ailerons.
Ryan
P.S. I do not think he has worked on it any.