PDA

View Full Version : EPS-350C Timing & running in ?

ZL3VML
10-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Hi,
I know this has come up in many threads but sometimes tooo much info is a bad thing to try and make sense of. http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

I just bought a new EPS-350C (with gearbox) for sport flying a ŻA model Buzzard Bombshell and wonder if:

1) Do I need to set the timing on it at all? If so by how much as there is mention in a few threads that they are neutraly timed.

2) Should I run it in, and if so, should I remove the gearbox first? (its a ball bearing one)
What is the best way to run in these motors?

Thanks - Mark

Matt Kirsch
10-07-2005, 04:52 AM
Setting the timing on cheap can motors is a lot of work for very little gain, and the distinct possibility that the motor won't last more than a few flights anyway (always a possibility with cheap can motors)...

Running them in... I've perceived some improvement in performance and smoother running when I've broken in motors. There's more than one "best" way to run in a motor, but the principle is the same regardless: You want to slowly wear "cups" in the brushes so they make maximum contact with the commutator before you put the spurs to it. That way you minimize arcing/sparking, and burned brush surfaces...

Remove the motor from the gearbox, connect it to one or two D alkaline cells, and let it run for a while. You should hear the motor pick up in speed after a while. When you do, it's broken in. Dunking the motor in water helps speed the process along by washing away brush dust.

ZL3VML
10-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks Matt,

I will give it a run in water anyway. I guess anything that could improve performance and extend the life of the motor is a worthwhile exercise.

As this is my first "can" motor (have only ever built my own BL motors) I am not sure what is considered "cheap" It certainly cost a few $$ but that is with gearbox.......but yeah, I suppose it does fall into the "cheap can motor" range at that compared to the more expensive ones I have seen out there.

What sort of average life can I expect out of these motors assuming they will never be thrashed at max power and given a regular cleanout and
lube ?

Mark