PDA

View Full Version : Help! - New Trex 450 order specs

Pony Pirate
02-13-2007, 10:27 PM
After all the marvelous help from you fellows I've drafted the following
TREX order..Any comments on it ??? (and where is the best place to order it from (I'm in NJ USA)

Trex 450 se vs for CCPM
Bump Resistant gear
All metal tail and head
Futaba GY401 Gyro
Motor:
Neu 1105/3Y on 8 T pinion(Brushless???)
OR
Medusa MR-028-32-2800 Brushless 2800 KV
Esc:
Castle Creations Phoenix 35 amp with batt elim Circuit 3A
Batt Pack:
EVO 020-2000 or 2200
OR
Thunderpower 3S1P 2100 mah Prolite LIPO
OR
4SIP LIPO??
Rotor:
Pro 335 Main Blades
OR
Wood ????
Xmtr:
Spektrum DX6
Servos:
Futaba 9250 or 9254
AND
Futaba 3110
OR
Hitec 65 HB ( x 3) + JR DS281 micro digital
OR
HDS-877 digital servo

Aluminum Case
Ball joint plyers
Helimax Blade Balancer

PilotDane
02-14-2007, 03:36 AM
I have a couple comments. Feel free to click "delete".

I seems that you are puting a lot of bling into the heli and going cheap on the radio. I would step up to the DX7.

Get some opinions on the current load if you decide to go to digital servos all around to make sure your 3 amp BEC is big enough.

I would not go to a 4s battery setup unless you are psycho and can whip the heli like a red headed step child...

If you are a basic learner on a budget. I would go cheaper on the heli (like an SA with Align ESC & motor) until you are good enough to notice the difference of upgraded componants. If you bet/gamble with black chips then get the bling. A plastic heli may fly OK but it will not impress your friends like metal.

Get an extra bottle of thread locker and a good work light.

Pony Pirate
02-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply...I was not aware that the 7 ch spektrum was that much better other than range and 1 more channel.

Jack

PilotDane
02-14-2007, 04:21 PM
The 6ch park flyer will work well and many are using it with great success. It just seems that you are going high end on the heli and low end on the radio.

The big reason I like the DX7 over the 6 is for the extra programmability. You get 5 point throttle and pitch curves where the DX6 only has 3 point curves. I also like the graphing in the DX7's display. It makes it very easy to see & visualize your throttle, pitch and exponential curves. It almost makes it idiot proof.

The DX7 is more expensive especially since you cannot use the receiver battery and servos that come packaged with it. I got the hobby shop where I bought mine to pull out the batt and servos which helped reduce the cost of the DX7.

Oh, double check the kv, shaft and pinion sizes of the motors you are considering. Make sure you can get a pinion gear to fit the motor to get the headspeed that you want. When you get smaller than 11 tooth you may need a motor with a small diameter shaft to allow you to run smaller pinions. (I'm running a 3550kv Align motor with an 11 tooth which gives a 2'600-2'800 rpm headspeed)

Pony Pirate
02-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Ok on all of that....I didn't know about the better programmability of th 7...I went for the "high end" machine, instead of upgrading, because it saves me $ in the end....I fly a blade cx machine now...I have a fuelie Schluter Magic (never flown) and a Futaba PCM Heli Xmtr and flight pack but the servos are too large for the trex. You mentioned that the flight pack for 7 is not compatible...you fly a trex ?? *confusedlook*... Your motor sounds good...I think I will go with that ...the head speed seems pretty good according to what I have been reading...I've been flying RC since 1968 but only fixed wing (The magic never flew)..I prefer to build the machine from scratch so if/when it breaks I can fix it more easily...the trex seems to come 80% completed...I hope I can get one that is not precompleted..

Jack

PilotDane
02-15-2007, 02:46 AM
No need for the confused look. The DX7 is packaged with full size servos that are physically too large for the TRex 450, and the receiver battery pack is not needed on an electric heli where everything is powered from the main flight battery. There is no problem with the receiver. It fits and works great in the 450.

The SA model is mostly assembled and looks like a helicopter right out of the box. The SE version is WAY COOL and comes disassembled so it needs all your help to become a flying monster. So it sounds like your machine.

My Align 430 motor and 35 amp controller have been working well. I also have three of the Align batteries and they are working fine. I don't have a temperature gun but they seem to get hot after a flight of just hovering. I'm not sure how they would do if you push them really hard. Everyone seems to love their Thunder Powers, but they are about 50% more expensive.

Pony Pirate
02-15-2007, 03:37 AM
thanks for the reply....I'm not sure what the reason is for the multiple points in the throttle curve...We have an outfit called Harbor Freight which sells an inexpensive heat measuring device for $25....

Jack

PilotDane
02-17-2007, 12:35 AM
The additional points in the curve allow you more control. With two points you get a straight line. Three points allow you to draw either a stright line or an exponential curve. Five points allow you to create all of the above and a curve that is not symetrical.

If you are just learning to hover you can set your curve so it comes up to power quickly (steep curve), then around hover (mid-stick) you make the curve really flat. You can do a similar thing with the three point curve but not as well.

The big difference comes when you try to fly 3D. You can set point #3 as your middle point and have two points on either side to create a curve for normal and inverted flight. Again you can do it with a 3 point curve but it is more crude.

The TRex will fly fine with the DX6 and it's 3 point curves. The DX7 will allow you more options and more control but it's more exensive.

Pony Pirate
02-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Pilot Dane
Thanks for the Curve explanation...It seems that the curve causes the power to respond in a non linear fashion as the stick travels from idle to full but I'm not clear on the 3d part of it...
trying to find a shop/distributer that will sell the xmtr and recvr separately would be a real help also...

Jack

FLYBYNIGHT
02-28-2008, 02:46 AM
You might want to consider going with the 450SE-V2 it's a sweet kit,comes with everything you'll need except the radio and electronics.
I agree with going with the DX-7, you might want to think about 3-HS 65MG's and possibly a 401 w/ a 9650. Back to the heli itself it's already "blinged" out. I purchased mine from ReadyHeli for $350.00 shipped.

Sentertainment
02-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Or just get the HDX450 kit from HeliDirect.com, I don't know why not that many people rave about it when talking budget...many say alot of the aftermarket helis fly a bit more solid then the actual T-Rex.

I got a 3DX450 (the overseas version of HDX450, from eBay) and even though I haven't flown it much, it seems amazing.