PDA

View Full Version : What foam?

SchnuppeR
10-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey guys and gales
I was wondering what types of foam are used. If you guys could list all the foam you have tried id be great!!! Also tell where you got it and how it flys. Maybe some pics?;)

Don Sims
10-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Bluecor= cheap and easy to use.
Depron= harder for me to get but seems a bit more durable.
EPP= My favorite stuff because it's so bouncable.
Foam Board from Wal-Mart stationary dept= a lot like depron but a challenge to strip the paper off of.

Pyrock
10-09-2005, 02:49 AM
I use Depron for my Pocket F22's but I'd like to try BlueCor. However, I cant seem to find BlueCor anywhere. I've tried Lowes and Home Depot but they dont carry them and have huge minimums for ordering. I may stick to Depron via internet. Here's what I've got so far on prices:

DepronUSA= ~$5.50 /whitesheet (19" x 27")
RCfoam = ~$3.50 /grey sheet (15" x 39") 10 sheet min.
~$3.05/white sheet (13"x 39") 10 sheet min.

I've always got mine from from Depron USA due to the 19" dimension but I may try RCFoam due to the price. I've found that glueing pieces together to form larger parts of the fuse causes no adverse affects. (learned by crashing the noses off and epoxying them back together... they end up flying better than when they were one whole piece :confused: Go figure!)

SchnuppeR
10-09-2005, 04:38 AM
sorry for my ignorance but what is epp?
Is FFF fan foal foam? is that any good cause thats all my homedepot sells and i cannot fins anywhere to buy Depron from. I asked at homedepot and menards and they just looked at me and were confused. LOL
There isnt a lowes around my area. They are currently building one across from the homedepot. Thats gonna be great to see which one goes out of business first. Im calling Homedepot will be out of business by next winter. But for the Bluecor i cant find that either..
So all i can get ahold of is actuall that FFF
I might just order off line if i have to.

Thanks for the info guys and gals

Bob_CO
10-09-2005, 04:47 AM
sorry for my ignorance but what is epp?

EPP is great for a starter ship. It is Expanded Polypropylene Particle foam and bouces very well. It takes a lot to break this stuff!

Is FFF fan foal foam? is that any good cause thats all my homedepot sells and i cannot fins anywhere to buy Depron from. I asked at homedepot and menards and they just looked at me and were confused. LOL
There isnt a lowes around my area. They are currently building one across from the homedepot. Thats gonna be great to see which one goes out of business first. Im calling Homedepot will be out of business by next winter. But for the Bluecor i cant find that either..
So all i can get ahold of is actuall that FFF
I might just order off line if i have to.

Thanks for the info guys and gals

FFF is Fan Folded Foam and is made by Dow as BlueCor and High Performance Underlayment and by Corning. (Sorry i don't know the product name for the Corning version.) The stuff we are interested in is 1/4" (~6mm). If you can get the 1/4" FFF easily I would grab that and some plans and start cutting. :) For EPP you can order from deprontexas.com or slofly.com

Pyrock
10-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Owens Corning makes pink Foamular and it's not as firm as BlueCor.

SchnuppeR
10-09-2005, 05:59 AM
sweet thanks. Ill have to pickup up some fff tomorrow

nakelp86
11-13-2005, 11:36 PM
I use Depron for my Pocket F22's but I'd like to try BlueCor. However, I cant seem to find BlueCor anywhere. I've tried Lowes and Home Depot but they dont carry them and have huge minimums for ordering. I may stick to Depron via internet. Here's what I've got so far on prices:

DepronUSA= ~$5.50 /whitesheet (19" x 27")
RCfoam = ~$3.50 /grey sheet (15" x 39") 10 sheet min.
~$3.05/white sheet (13"x 39") 10 sheet min.

I've always got mine from from Depron USA due to the 19" dimension but I may try RCFoam due to the price. I've found that glueing pieces together to form larger parts of the fuse causes no adverse affects. (learned by crashing the noses off and epoxying them back together... they end up flying better than when they were one whole piece :confused: Go figure!)
Lowes has Blue foam 8"x4" for about $37.00
have to get few sheets in case they sell it out.
Did you ever see blue foam wings?? All beauty :-))

Pyrock
11-14-2005, 12:46 AM
I ended up getting bluecore foam from Kansas. It cost more but it still added to a bit under $2.50/sheet...much cheaper than Depron. After having flown a Bluecore F22 (and crashing a few times), I've found that the Bluecore foam is much more forgiving. It may not look as nice and as clean but BlueCore is more flexible and will not snap under load like Depron. Btw, I peel the film off the BlueCore.

timocharis
11-14-2005, 06:59 AM
EPP is extremely durable, and with practice you can make as nice a plane as you might like. It can be painted with just about anything, and any glue works (including elmer's).

Best source:
http://slofly.com/cart/index.php?cPath=84&osCsid=ab060fcd93deaa2df43c08da9eb8d2cc

Dave North

timocharis
11-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Not too many people get how durable EPP is, and how much fun it can be. For example, here's the infamous "Dance With Trees:"

http://home.znet.com/north/28snip.wmv

(That's a 28" Mini 3D from slofly.com)

Dave North