PDA

View Full Version : What Airplane to build from scratch for first plane

SchnuppeR
10-08-2005, 10:30 PM
What airplane should i build for my first flight? I want to do foam cause its forgiving. I just would like some suggestions on which plane to print plans out for. Which foam also

Pyrock
10-09-2005, 04:10 AM
What airplane should i build for my first flight? I want to do foam cause its forgiving. I just would like some suggestions on which plane to print plans out for. Which foam also

This is what I built from scratch. Now it's my favorite plane. Simple and it screams yet it's pretty agile. Pretty unlimited vert. Also, I've gotten so good at making them that I can make a complete plane ready to fly in about 1.5 hours starting from a 19" x 27" sheet of depron.

SchnuppeR
10-09-2005, 07:00 AM
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237
Would that be a good first plane?

Twmaster
10-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Oh yea. That would be a nice bird to build. Good flying according to the folks that have built her. I have the plans downloaded to my hard disk and will be building one.

Get thee to Lowe's man! Don't forget to get a sharp knife too! :D

Bob_CO
10-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Looks a little heavy on the wing loading for a good trainer. (Meaning it looks like it has too much weight for the wing area which makes it fly faster.) I prefer the "floaters" that have a very light wing loading for trainers.

By no means does that mean you couldn't learn on it however.

Twmaster
10-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Might be good that it has a little bit more wing loading than a floater. I know I had a devil of a time getting good stick time when I was trying to learn on a Lite Stick. The Slow stick being a bit heavier was what I needed so perhaps this will do for him.

SchnuppeR
10-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Wow guys i appreciate all the help in such a short amount of time. And i believe that i will buy some Fan Fold Foam and begin building that Cessna looking plane.

Up&Away
10-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I honestly would not advise to scratchbuild as a first introduction to RC flight. Go for a stable foamy (the GWS Beaver, Multiplex Easystar come to mind, but there are many, many more), learn to fly, and then build yourself something.

Bob_CO
10-10-2005, 05:14 PM
I honestly would not advise to scratchbuild as a first introduction to RC flight.

Yeah... It could be bad but it could be ok too. Just judging by all of the really nice but crashed planes and also the really ugly ones that are still flying I would have to say that building skills and flying skills are not releated. I however suck equally at both. :D

Pyrock
10-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Here's the latest version of my Pocket F22....

Jeremy Z
10-15-2005, 03:00 PM
What airplane should i build for my first flight?

I think you're talking about a flat foamy, right? But that is maybe not the best thing to learn on. I don't know how hard they are to fly, but I get the impression they're pretty fast.

I just bought my T-Hawk, which required an hour of assembly, if you're very careful. Then, you go out to try to teach yourself to fly, and crash the hell out of it. It will hurt all the more if you've got time AND money invested in it.

Get an EasyStar or T-Hawk (maybe without radio option and get a proper 72 MHz radio) and someone who can teach you.

Just my $0.02 after my first three (very short) maiden flights. ;)

Jeremy

Steve
10-23-2005, 02:23 AM
This might be a dead thread, but try this out. I built 2 and they're excellent.

http://www.3dfoamy.com/Citabria.htm

Steve
10-23-2005, 02:28 AM
I didn't see that post.....Yes. This is very close to the Citabria. Built 2 of these also...one of them co-built by a 12 yr old friend. His first 3 ch plane. It's still flying, so that's a HUGE testimonial to it's durability. We even flew combat with them (both of us first-timers) and the little bastard won! His stock 350 brushed motor and NIMH KAN650 batteries was about 2x faster than my Himax outrunner on a 2C 1200lipo. So much for expensive brushless setups.:o

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237
Would that be a good first plane?

Tow Man
10-23-2005, 02:43 AM
o

Tow Man
10-23-2005, 02:45 AM
o

Pyrock
10-23-2005, 02:57 AM
Gee that one also looks like one of Hawker's design's..............Hmm have you built the third yet???

TM

It may be because I copied (and improved) the plane from a friend who got it on ebay. I say that I "improved" the design because my friends F22 was pretty homemade looking with non-straight edges and the motor mounted above the fuse while mine is recessed into the fuse. Other changes and improvements included tapered edges, slightly different shaped parts (mainly by accident) and I also found that it was more stable when I changed the angle of the stabs. Also I made it out of Depron instead of BlueCore. Then there's the brushless setup. Also, I made the tailerons slightly larger because I wanted more control surface area. Overall though, it's not my design just a variation of someone elses design. I can't take the credit for the design. Then again, most 3D planes have the same designs just slightly different varients.

Oh, and yes, I've built many fuselages during the testing process and when I get bored, I make more just for when I crash mine or when a friend wants to buy one from me. I just made one out of BlueCore and it's fine just not as clean looking as Depron but it's exactly the same weight.

Tow Man
10-23-2005, 03:13 AM
o

Bob_CO
10-24-2005, 08:48 PM
So then it isn't a scratch build it's a copy, with adjustments. There are a lot of us that have planes on other sites that keep showing up here with peole saying that it is there design or not even metioning that they got it from someplace else. They know who they are and we are aware of it. Just be clear when you post a new plane. Some people want the thunder without doing the hard work it takes designing and testing .

Nuff said

TM

So Hawker makes a plane based on a Northrop design and suddenly ownes it in the RC world? The guy made HIS design based on a friends plane. It isn't like he printed Hakwer's plans and is calling it his design.

Vyceroy
10-27-2005, 07:26 PM
The foamfly frog is good for a beginner to buld and fly .. check it out at www.foamfly.com (http://www.foamfly.com) .. comes as a kit or plans

dave650
12-19-2005, 04:11 AM
This is what I built from scratch. Now it's my favorite plane. Simple and it screams yet it's pretty agile. Pretty unlimited vert. Also, I've gotten so good at making them that I can make a complete plane ready to fly in about 1.5 hours starting from a 19" x 27" sheet of depron.
Pyrock,
I like the pics of your plane and the fact that the build time is so short. But i'm not sure where you got the plans and what set up your running (batteries, motor, ect.) Could you give me more details -plans, materials -that sort of thing?
Thanks

Pyrock
01-03-2006, 04:37 AM
Pyrock,
I like the pics of your plane and the fact that the build time is so short. But i'm not sure where you got the plans and what set up your running (batteries, motor, ect.) Could you give me more details -plans, materials -that sort of thing?
Thanks

I copied a friends plane that he got off ebay. I've since made some modifications and totally abandoned the original setup because I couldn't get it to fly. I use the following setup:

E-Flite Park 370 (4100 kv) taped on
GWS 3x2 prop (or 3x3) glued on
3 cell Kokam 910, Polyquest 1100, GWS 1300, or TP 1320 (a bit heavy but flies fine).
Castle Creations Pheonix 10 ESC
GWS Micro Rx (4ch)
2-HS55 or HS50 servos
Ikarus shock flier control horns
CF rods
AUW 7-8 oz.

PM me if you want more details because I have a PPT presentation with pictures and details that I included when I sold them. Sorry, I dont have plans though.

pezzer2003
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
G'day,
I have bought several arf trainers and all failed to inpress me. I built this as me first scratch build and it's been the best trainer ever. I am doing more in this plane than i could have ever imagined...
www.electricorange.com.au (http://www.electricorange.com.au) and look at the Park Flyers or the Download section for the J3 Cub "Park Trainer".

Deereret
02-01-2006, 06:10 AM
G'day,
I have bought several arf trainers and all failed to inpress me. I built this as me first scratch build and it's been the best trainer ever. I am doing more in this plane than i could have ever imagined...
www.electricorange.com.au (http://www.electricorange.com.au) and look at the Park Flyers or the Download section for the J3 Cub "Park Trainer".
I downloaded the PDF file and it looks like the plan drawings are too large to print on the usual printer using 8 1/2 X 11 paper. Is there a different download avaiable or how do you use the PDF drawings?
Gene

pezzer2003
02-02-2006, 01:48 AM
G'day
I had some problems printing them out too, But if you do them one at a time going into your printer property's each time and making shaw that you are printing at 100% or No print scaling you should be OK, and some of the pages will cut off the egde that you will require to cut. To get around this, rotate that page before printing it, and you will find that the printer will cut off the edge scale insted of the drawing.
Then i use a steel rule, a razor blade and a cutting board and cut the top edge and left edge off each page then align each page with the next page and just glue them together with paper glue..
PEZ

SchnuppeR
02-16-2006, 05:41 AM
Sweeet thanks Pezzer!!!!
Now i just need radio stuff. Any suggestions? and also motor and esc

pezzer2003
02-16-2006, 05:53 AM
I'm using all GWS gear, and my setup is as per the plans.
1280 prop, 350 5:1 geared motor off a gws 300 esc Powered by a
8 cell 9.6V AAA Ni-Mh battery pack. And it's the best trainer i have ever flown, i get goose bumps everytime i think of having a fly...
PEZ

SchnuppeR
02-16-2006, 09:29 PM
How much did the electronice cost?

pezzer2003
02-16-2006, 11:02 PM
All the gear cost me $120 AUST and the plane cost me $15 AUST. But the gear is going to be moved out soon into my Balsa Cessna

Voyager2lcats
10-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Check out my thread at "Scratch-build Piper Cub for 1st plane" in the "Foamies" section. My endorsement is: it's easy to build, fly, and repair. I have been flying it for the first time this summer and I highly recommend it.