PDA

View Full Version : Easy Models 57" Beaver

jupiter1
02-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Anyone built or flown one of these ? Looks interesting,of course the GWS version is well known but I have not seen many of these in balsa . I like the larger size.

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/erc01.htm

BradT
02-22-2007, 05:49 AM
That looks "sorta" like a Beaver. For a much more scale model of similar size, look for the Airsail Models 60" kit, made in N.Z. It's designed for glow, so builds heavier than the Easy Models, but could be lightened during construction for E power. Unionville Hobbies, in Canada, make an electric kit at 72" , complete with flaps (I flew one for 5 years), and larger glow kits at 8' and 12'.
Brad.

jupiter1
02-22-2007, 11:27 PM
The Unionville planes do look nicer plus they have ailerons and flaps . Found a place in the States that sells them and they have the 72" electric version in stock . Thanks -Dave.

BradT
02-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Dave, if you do go for the Unionville E-Beaver, feel free to pick my brain (what little is left!) as you build it. The instructions are printed right on the HUGE plan sheet, and they are easy to follow. There are a lot of parts in this model, and quite a bit of stick structure, but if you follow the step-by-step on the plans, you cant go wrong. The kit was designed back in the Stone Age, when Astro Cobalt motors were state-of-the-art, and 1700 Mah nicads were the latest, greatest thing, so going with a nice mid size outrunner and lipos should save at least a pound or 2 off the weight of my old model, which flew very nicely at 88 oz., using a MEC Turbo 10+ brushed 550 motor, geared 6:1, 10 2000 mah nicad cells, and a 12x8 MAS wood electric prop. I built the optional flaps, and loved them, they really add an extra scale flying touch to the plane, and I also carved some foam floats for it, and flew off water as often as I got the chance - great fun!

BradT
02-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Here are some scans of 10 year old pics of my Beaver, to give you an idea of how the Unionville kit goes together, and what the finished plane looks like:

jupiter1
02-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Nice pictures , I thinking about a military theme also .This one

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1133052&WxsIERv=Qr%20Univyynaq%20Pnanqn%20H-6N%20Ornire%20%28QUP-2%29&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=HFN%20-%20Anil&QtODMg=Ivetvavn%20Ornpu%20-%20Bprnan%20ANF%20%2F%20Ncbyyb%20Fbhprx%20Svryq%20 %28AGH%20%2F%20XAGH%29&ERDLTkt=HFN%20-%20Ivetvavn&ktODMp=Frcgrzore%207%2C%202006&BP=0&WNEb25u=Fghneg%20serre&xsIERvdWdsY=164525&MgTUQtODMgKE=Pnhtug%20neevivat%20sbe%20guvf%20lrne f%20fubj%20gur%20irel%20havdhr%20H-6%20Ornire%20orybatvat%20gb%20gur%20HF%20Aniny%20G rfg%20Cvybgf%20Fpubby&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=1675&NEb25uZWxs=2006-11-02&ODJ9dvCE=35&O89Dcjdg=492&static=yes&width=1200&height=812&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20%3D%20%27Qr%2 0Univyynaq%20Pnanqn%20QUP-2%20Ornire%20%28Y-20%2FH-6%29%27%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=2&prev_id=1151745&next_id=1128864&tbl=MILITARY

Its been a while since I have done a "pin the sticks to the plan" build ,The "new" kits are more like 3d jigsaw puzzles . I am looking forward to it.

jupiter1
02-24-2007, 02:05 AM
Ok kit is ordered from .............Ordered a load of building supplies , you need "stuff " for stick build's , from Tower . Ah yes , yellow glue , wax paper and T pins . Back to basics .BradT thanks for offering to help . Going to take my time with this one so don't be alarmed if you don't hear from me for a while .LOL .

BradT
02-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Very nice choice of scheme, simple, with enough colour to give good visibility. That's why I chose the Alaska S.A.R. scheme for my model, taken from the artwork of a plastic kit. I'm glad that you look forward to the build, I enjoyed it, and it was only my third kit, after building a Goldberg 550 and a PuddleMaster, both of which were much simpler than the Beaver.

Very true about the "stuff" needed for this kind of build. I found a small miter cutter, and a miter sander, to be essential in getting the mating angles correct on all those sticks.

I eventually replaced the rather flimsy plastic cowl of the e-kit with a much sturdier f.g. version from the same company's glow kit of this plane. The least scale feature of the model is the windshield molding; if I did this kit again, I'd scrap that piece and scratch build the area forward of the wing,at the windshield top, and the windscreen itself, matching to good 3-views.

I look forward to following your progress with this build. Good luck.

Brad.

jupiter1
03-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Having doubts that this project is going to happen . Been 7 days since I placed my order and I have not received a word from the company I placed it with . Sent an e-mail , hope they reply .

jupiter1
03-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Hopefully this well work out .

peterpont
03-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Having doubts that this project is going to happen . Been 7 days since I placed my order and I have not received a word from the company I placed it with . Sent an e-mail , hope they reply .

Who did you order from-?
peterpont

jupiter1
03-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Who did you order from-?
peterpont

I ordered from SCALERCMODELS . A phone call cleared everything up. The vendor had a virus in his computer and was advised not to send any emails. I got my kit , it was shipped direct from the manufactuer,Unionville hobbys . Its missing the manual and 2 of the plan sheets . Can not get thru to Unionville , their in Canada ,to correct this . I think their on vacation . As it stands kit is worhtless without the plans . This not the fault of Scalercmodels tough .

jupiter1
03-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Got thru to Unionville . Their sending the missing plans . Project is slowly moving forward :D

AmpAce
04-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Glad to hear the Beaver is under construction. Hope you can give us some feedback as to how it goes together and what you think of it. Pic's too??

Happy Building!!

AmpAce

jupiter1
04-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Glad to hear the Beaver is under construction. Hope you can give us some feedback as to how it goes together and what you think of it. Pic's too??

Happy Building!!

AmpAce

I would be more than happy to do a build thread , with pics , on this one but because of the difficulties getting this kit a couple of projects have moved ahead of it . Might be a couple of months before I start .

Dave

Bill G
04-13-2007, 06:17 AM
That looks "sorta" like a Beaver. For a much more scale model of similar size, look for the Airsail Models 60" kit, made in N.Z. It's designed for glow, so builds heavier than the Easy Models, but could be lightened during construction for E power. Unionville Hobbies, in Canada, make an electric kit at 72" , complete with flaps (I flew one for 5 years), and larger glow kits at 8' and 12'.
Brad.
If I did one, I would do something different for the cowl, as it does not look scale up front. I thought about the EB Beaver, since I may give my GWS float Beaver to the kids next door, and I'd still like to have and easy float flyer. The Airsail looks good. I like heavier builds anyways, and these planes can carry weight with ease.

Bill

jupiter1
04-13-2007, 11:31 PM
If I did one, I would do something different for the cowl, as it does not look scale up front. I thought about the EB Beaver, since I may give my GWS float Beaver to the kids next door, and I'd still like to have and easy float flyer. The Airsail looks good. I like heavier builds anyways, and these planes can carry weight with ease.

Bill

Due to number of requests Unionville now includes the fiberglass cowl in the electric version of this kit . Can't say how it differs from the plastic one as I have not seen it in person.

Rob Schaffer
05-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I have the Easy Built models Beaver, and I have a blast with it.
For the past two years I've been flying it on a Magnetic Mayhem, geared 3.8:1, turning an APC-E 14x10 Prop on 10x1950 FAUP..... what,.. brushed setup? Most people don't even seem to use those anymore,... so, since most of my stuff is also moving in the brushless and Lipo arena, I just did with this as well. This weekend I finished putting in a new mount for the EFlite Power 25 and a 12x6 prop. I have yet to fly it this way, but should work out great. I'll let you know more after this weekend.

Here's some photos of mine from the brushed setup. I tow a club banner that is about 8 foot long with it for our special fun flies and events.

Builds nice, handles well. If I build another one, I'd lower the dihedral and build it with Ailerons to make it more sporty.

constantCrash
05-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I totaly thought that was a full size plane in the first picture. took me a good 2 minutes to realize the guy was a doll. HA

Bill G
05-19-2007, 06:46 AM
I totaly thought that was a full size plane in the first picture. took me a good 2 minutes to realize the guy was a doll. HA
I just saw it in the random photos. Thought it was a full size, until I blew it up.

Bill