PDA

View Full Version : Electrifly battery caution!

d_wheel
10-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Just destroyed an Electrifly 11.1v 640mah battery pack. The way they are constructed led to the "accident". These cells use two sets of leads. One is used for charging and goes through a safe charging circuit. The other goes directly to the battery and is used for discharging. The positive lead of the discharge battery is male, the negative lead is female. This leaves the positive lead exposed. On the charge lead, both leads are exposed through the tab which holds them into the plastic connector. Though it isn't likely to happen, it did in my case destroying one of my packs. On my remaining packs, I will be insulating the connectors in some way to prevent another occurrence.

Later;

D.W.

timocharis
10-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Ow!

You know, I don't like that lead sticking out on the charge plug.

Dave

falingtrea
10-10-2005, 05:15 AM
That's just plain electronics bad practice. Power sources should always be shielded. I would have put the negative lead on the exposed pin, not the positive. Thats why I like the Power Pole connectors. All contacts are shielded.

supi7
10-10-2005, 08:40 AM
I would have put the negative lead on the exposed pin, not the positive.

That does not solve anything. The negative lead can come in contact with positive.

From what I saw in the feld I would be scared to install a Micro connector. I have seen guys plug in battery into battery, thinking its a charge lead :eek:

Dan

Greg Covey
10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
The larger ElectriFly packs use a Deans Ultra connector so they are not prone to this problem. It does appear that the smaller packs using the Dean's 2-pin polarized connectors have a potential for disaster.

I would take a mating JST connector, cut the wires short, and tape them so that it can be placed over the charge connector on the ElectricFly pack for safety and conveniently removed to recharge the pack.

ragbag
10-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the picture!! Read the thread and ran out to the garage, well not realy but I did go look at the two 1500 packs that I have been using and couldn't remember seeing what you were talking about.
Mine have the deans, so no problem.

I agree, that is very poor engineering on their part. I would make an effort to contact them with the same picture and give them some feed back. If they do not know it already, we need to point it out and protect them and us from the naysayers in the world.

Thats all we need, another burning Suburban to be bantered around the threads.

I mention the burning Suburban in our group, we have converted a few to E-power, and the biggest nayser got all over me about the Fords that were burning, not the GMC's.

Gave me great pleasure to email the picture to him, still didn't shut him up.

I knew better than to try.:rolleyes:

By George

falingtrea
10-12-2005, 08:08 PM
That does not solve anything. The negative lead can come in contact with positive.

Ah, but I bet if you contacted the negative power lead and the positive charge lead, it would be going through the protection circuit and may not cause any problems. The power negative and the charge negative are probably directly connected together in the pack. That is one reason why I would have the "Hot" lead shielded.