PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Black Sheep when you really need them?

Twmaster
10-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Flew my GWS Zero today. Damn squirrelly and under powered.

http://www.twmaster.com/Zero/DSCN9888.JPG

http://www.twmaster.com/Zero/DSCN9889.JPG

Vyceroy
10-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Flew my GWS Zero today. Damn squirrelly and under powered.

Sounds like a Typical GWS Zero to me :D

WWI Ace
10-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Go brushless!!!!!!!

Twmaster
10-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I also have an ME-109 that is going to get a TowerPro Outrunner for comparison.

EpoweredRc
10-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Go brushless!!!!!!!

You can do it !!!!!!:D
You know what they say
"Once you go brushless,you wont go back"

Twmaster
10-10-2005, 09:19 PM
You can do it !!!!!!:D
You know what they say
"Once you go brushless,you wont go back"

But my wallet is scared! :D

EpoweredRc
10-10-2005, 09:34 PM
But my wallet is scared! :D

It wont be to bad, just tell your wife its a early Christmas for you this year :D

watt_the?!
10-10-2005, 09:42 PM
a couple of sheep for ya...

watt_the?!
10-10-2005, 09:49 PM
video here

http://www.relexaustralia.com/CORSAIR.wmv

6.8mb.

geared speed 300 with 1550lipo 2s.

tim.

EpoweredRc
10-10-2005, 10:02 PM
video here

http://www.relexaustralia.com/CORSAIR.wmv

6.8mb.

geared speed 300 with 1550lipo 2s.

tim.

Nice video,I guess those went ment to go fast? I have never flown one like that But if I owned one I think I would like it to be fast, I just love speed.

Sky Sharkster
10-14-2005, 12:29 PM
To Twmaster, I've been flying a GWS "Zero" a few weeks now and can recommend the following set-up: Himax HA2025-4200 geared motor with Castle Pixie 20 ESC, 3S 2100 TP LiPo, 9 X 6 APC. Motor/Gearbox is about $ 80.00, ESC about $ 30.00-$ 35.00. It's WAY too much power, "cruise" is 1/3 throttle, fast aerobatics are 1/2 throttle and the first time I tried full power it nearly disappeared off the field!
Have you reduced the wing incidence? After following the thread on "E-Zone" I cut the rear bolt mount back (up) 3/32" to raise the trailing edge, helped the stalling and "squirrely" performance many flyers experienced. I did this during the build so was able to match the fuselage fit, but it can be done after the build. It will leave a "lip" or step in the fuse/wing rear joint but helps a lot.
Now it flies like a mini-pattern plane, easy to rip around the sky. For a low-wing plane with little dihedral it's fairly stable but won't fly hands-off, takes a little more attention than a "Park" job. A bit of aileron differential helps too, 2:1 works for me. The C.G. needs to be further forward of spot shown on plans, up in front of the bamboo doubler.
Don't give up on the "Zero", a few adjustments and it's a great warbird! Good Luck, Ron

Twmaster
10-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks Ron. I'll consider your suggestions. I also have an ME109 which does not seem to have the bad tendencies of the Zeke.

You mentioned a Himax motor. Are you -sure- you meant the Castle Pixie as the Pixie is for brushed motoren.

Sky Sharkster
10-15-2005, 02:03 AM
To Twmaster, you're right, it's a C.C. BL "Pegasus" 25 amp I believe, think they're about $ 50.00. I had a "Pixie" 20 sitting on the bench and just had a brain glitch. Sorry about that.
One flyer in our club has the GWS ME 109, he really likes it. The most popular model is (believe it or not) NOT the P-51 but the "Corsair"! Everyone that has one loves it. One of the reasons I got the "Zero" is so we could do some mock dogfights. First time we tried it, last weekend, the "Corsair's" motor came completely out of the plane! Fell right off. I am claiming that as a "Kill". Good Flying, Ron

Twmaster
10-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Hahaha! Ok, I guess that is a fair claim for a kill!!

As for the Himaxx, I think I'll go with my original plan and try the TowerPro in the ME109 since I already have it.

Depending on how my skills progress (and my tastes in planes) the Corsair will be in the house sometime. (I would always choose a Corsair over a Mustang. Any day :))

Also, something I should mention. I was not on the sticks with the Zeke. Qban_Flyer was the man! I'm still too worried about the poor handling of the thing to give it a go myself.

flypaper 2
10-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Mike:
If you do the mods that Mike mentioned it flies like a pattern plane on rails. Flew one for two yrs. till an el. servo crapped out and did a kamikazi from about a hundred ft. at full throttle. Servo shorted out, shut off CC esc to protect itself so had no control over anything. Anyway, same motor and esc. 2100 ma TP batt. Building another one. Buddy has the Corsair. We had a midair. Saw something floating down and thought it was my canopy. Did a low, slow flypast. Canopy still on. Buddy did the same. Right side stab, elevator was missing :p He said the el. was a little sluggish. I made one for him from pink foam. It's still flying. Zero just had a nick in the LE of the wing. To launch, hold at about a 45 degree angle, a little past half throttle and just let it go, no need to even push it. By the way, used a GWS HD 10-8 prop.

Bigfoot21075
10-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Twmaster

I am putting together a Alfa Corsair now - I am hoping that the brushl;ess motor I have "left over" is not too much over kill for this plane. After reading the other post about easy cruising at 1/3 power - I am strating to understand why I was having super squirly handling at 3/4 throttle launches :D

I am in Elkridge - Where do you fly?

Twmaster
10-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Twmaster

I am putting together a Alfa Corsair now - I am hoping that the brushl;ess motor I have "left over" is not too much over kill for this plane. After reading the other post about easy cruising at 1/3 power - I am strating to understand why I was having super squirly handling at 3/4 throttle launches :D

I am in Elkridge - Where do you fly?

That Alfa Corasir is sweet. One of our flyers has one and it looks fabulous in the air. We fly near Burtonsville (south of Columbia).

E-Challenged
11-05-2005, 03:36 PM
My GWS Zero with MiniAC1215/16 in GWS 300C (B) gearbox 9x6 prop and 1100 3S Lipo has great all around performance. Battery pack must extend through firewall and go to the front of the cowl . Be sure to lower wing incidence including modification of wing attachment and add some more down and right thrust to counter nose up tendency and torque effects.
Use velcro canopy attachement and make sure it is secure. I used tiny magnets and lost canopy, lucky somebody found it.

I watched a GWS Spitfire with Himax 2025-5300 and a 2200 mah 3s Lipo pack rip up the sky in a violent and somwhat scary manner. Had a full span carbon fiber rod spar no other mods. I would have put a carbon fiber spar in the stab, and reinforced fuselage with CF around wing hole in fuselage.

LuckyArmpit
12-03-2005, 02:01 AM
I'd think the himax 2025-4200 would be a bit much for the gws warbirds. I'm running one in a mini funtana that weighs 22 oz. and I can cruise around with it at 1/2 throttle. I do have a park 400 outrunner in a gws corsair though. Had to do a bit of mount engineering to get it to work. The motor does stick out a bit past the cowl and the thrust line is a bit lower. If flies great in no wind. However, get a 10 mph breeze and it can be a bit of a handful.

Dave...

Fighterpilot
01-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I've been flying the Alpha Corsair and the Alpha Nakajima for about a year now, both with the MP Jet Blue Outrunner motor spinning an APC 9x6sf prop. I'm using 3 cell 1320mah lipos. The performance is fantastic, with straight verticle climbs to altitudes where you can barely see the airplane. Most flying is done around 1/2 throttle (still plenty fast) and things really get cranked up when you power up to full throttle. At full power, stay alert, because things happen very quickly. I think these little airplanes are great to keep your skill levels up with because after flying these and then going to my big 93" Corsair, it seems like you have to wait for things to happen after you input a control command. They certainly are the best bang for the buck I've gotten in a long time.

qban_flyer
01-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Twmaster's GWS Zero is now mine. I bought it from him a several weeks ago when we ran into each other at the Fulton R/C E-Aerodrome where we meet to fly and chew the fat every Saturday afternoon and also on some Sundays.

The original power plant has been replaced by that of a now defunct G/P Flat Out Cap 580. It's spinning a 9X3.8SF APC propeller, G/P C12 ESC, while1320 mil 11.1V Thunder Power Li-Pos provide the e-juice.

While the model has improved its flight "manners" and is quite a bit lighter, it still "needs" to come at a rather substantial rate of speed when landing. Definitely not Park Flyer like in flight and or landings. In the air it is an incredible flying machine.

Next step will be to replace the prop with a 10X3.8 SF APC and go to 7.4V Thunder Power 2100s.

I love that GWS Zero!:)

Bigfoot21075
01-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi QBan_Flyer!

That gWS zero you fly is really nice - it changed my mind about GWS low wing warbids all together.

BTW -is the Fulton R/C E-Aerodrome you talk about in Fulton, MD by any chance?

qban_flyer
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi QBan_Flyer!

That gWS zero you fly is really nice - it changed my mind about GWS low wing warbids all together.

BTW -is the Fulton R/C E-Aerodrome you talk about in Fulton, MD by any chance?

It is a very informal group that gets there together to fly e-models on weekends when the weather is nice, and yes, it is in Fulton, MD.:)

Although a nice site, most of my e-flying gets done at CASA as I'd rather use the vast openness of CASA's field to my advantage, especially during weekdays. It is nicer to have a wide open area like CASA's in case the model(s) is(are) a bit wild.:o

I have flown my Zero at Fulton several times and find that area a bit restrictive for it. I have also maidened other fellows there planes. There is Bill's magnificently built and finished Stinson Voyager and Mike's (Twmaster) GWS ME-109. I acquired the Zero from Mike after I maidened it in October. At that time it was flown with the stock power plant and it flew as if on the verge of a constant stall. Photos of it on post #1 are of it on its maiden back in October with the original factory provided motor and propeller.:eek:

The Stinson (kitted by DARE) is as magnificent a flying machine as it's full sized conterpart.:)
The GWS ME-109 (as well as my Zero) can be best described as a guided R/C missile! Neither is definitely very well suited for Fulton's restricted size site.:o

Photos of Bill's Stinson included below as well as one of my Zero before power plant conversion. The second photo of the Stinson was on final and taken rather late in the day against heavily overcast skies. Were it not for the RX aerial, one would swear it is a full sized Voyager coming in for a landing.:)