PDA

View Full Version : New build - scale Airwolf

leapfrog
03-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Okie doke... I've been gathering data (like you wouldn't believe) on Airwolf... and I am starting a new project - a .50 scale Airwolf with Rex 600 mechanics.

This is my first "scale" project, so I am going about it a bit slowly... I've already received my donor mechanics heli, and I upgraded it already with the torque tube mod. It's a basic aluminum frame version... that I will use for fit mock up... and convert it to CF frames for the final build up. The birdie on the left (http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/file.php?n=1307&w=o) is the donor machine... next to my rather stock 600 that I've been playing with for a while. I'm gonna switch to a set of TT black CF blades for the final build, I think... they fly well enough... we'll see. Here is a pic of the forward torque tube (http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/file.php?n=1308&w=o) installation, and this is the rear - and tail case (http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/file.php?n=1309&w=o) (kinda hoping it is not too wide - it's wider than the stock tailcase - for the Century fuselage).

Anyway... I'll keep this thread going as I progress with the build... I'm going to be flying the donor machine for a while with the torque tube in stock dress... to compare to the belt-driven tail. Stay tuned...

Brutal E
03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I love the idea of a big sized Airwolf. I want to do a Cobra on my HDX300 or my aluminum frame Blade CP. Lots of people do the Airwolf I want to see the other heli. The second prototype from the one story line it had a red bottom which I liked. Also working weapon hatches would be cool. Retracts are interesting I want to give those a try so debating Cobra or Daulphin. The aluminum frame Blade CP has new ducted fan on tail so perfect for the Daulphin.

Picture this, a 600 sized apache with working camera in the pod on the front with pan and tilt. Corresponding chain gun points at what the camera points at. Onboard Mp3 and speaker blasts Charge of the Valkery or in your case the theme to Airwolf.

leapfrog
03-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Hehe... me *bows*... "Ah, I love the smell of napalm in the morning..."

Yeah, I rather hesitated at Airwolf... but then again, it's my first scale build... and I foresee more in the future... so I decided go with what I know... I have all three seasons on DVD (I never really knew how bad the acting really was - I watched it as a kid - until I reviewed it again), and loads of documentation from the production company... so it'll be a fun build anyway.

Brutal E
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
What was the other heli called? The only aircraft to give Airwolf a challenge. Flown by Stringfellow Hawk's arch enemy who had supposedly had involvement in his brothers disappearence. Or some other crazy storyline LOL.

leapfrog
03-05-2007, 10:32 AM
In episode "Airwolf II", Airwolf had an evil twin, the Airwolf II, also known as Redwolf. The Redwolf was built by The Firm to replace Airwolf, but was stolen and flown by an egotistical test-pilot rival of Stringfellow Hawke’s called Harlan Jenkins. Redwolf differed from Airwolf in that its underbelly was painted red (where Airwolf' was painted pearl-grey). It was also equipped with a powerful laser weapon. By the end of the episode, Redwolf was destroyed by Airwolf. In later episodes and throughout the 4th season, Airwolf had a similar laser, suggesting that it was salvaged from the wreckage of the Redwolf. Season 4 also featured a similar copter to the Redwolf, known as the Scorpion. This copter was also destroyed by Airwolf (though the footage of the dogfighting was recycled from the "Airwolf II" episode).

leapfrog
03-06-2007, 02:54 AM
Okie doke... Let's kick this off... here's how the fuse came in the mail (basically... I did play with the upper hatch)

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/images/9011/medium/1_Airwolf_Boxed_Img.jpg

And here it is unboxed for parts inventory... Ready to build!

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/images/9011/medium/1_Airwolf_Unboxed_Img.jpg
(http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/file.php?n=1325&w=o)
Step one... Read through the instructions, and formulate a plan of attack...

Brutal E
03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
I always see the holes where the retracts go back. Does anyone ever do the hatch covers so when the wheels retract the hatches cover the hole just like the real thing. That is a scale detail that gets overlooked all the time.

leapfrog
03-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Sure... it's done all the time... Click on the vid links to see the sequenced gear doors/gear (http://www.wingspanmodels.com/Products/Electronics/LG.html) from this page... basically, it's a trade off and a decision on how detailed one wants to get with this stuff...

leapfrog
03-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Okie doke... quick update... I maidened the donor mechanics tonight... and to catch those of you up (I started this thread elsewhere) it's not really a stock 600... I upgraded it with the torque tube upgrade (http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_72_81&products_id=1538) and the LTG-6100T/LTS-6100G combo (http://www.logictech.co.kr/home_goods.php?code=1115866036)...

All I can say is "very nice!"...

The torque tube is very interesting... but I need to take it outside to really see how it does... the indoor flights tonight were really smooth and all the tail control I would ever think to need... and there was no "belt slap" on spin down... interesting... more to come on this later.

I love the gyro... it's a "geek's" toy with the LCD interface and the parameter options to the software... I started out with a rather "3D" config... but detuned it a bit with the "flight Mode", "Performance", and "Features of Control" menu settings... and then adjusted the pirouette rate down with the travel rate on the TX... it's rather nice now (although still totally locked) for a scale installation... other features include a separate limit rate for left and right rudder, a nifty user interface via the single piece sensor/interface (it's *really* small), the LTS-6100G servo is *very* fast and very accurate, and dang... it has a "braking" feature to the control algorithm that all but eliminates the pirouette-stop bobble... this thing is really rock solid...

Enough of that... this is more about Airwolf... but the mechanics are coming along for the bird... let's say that. I started to sand the seams of the fuse tonight in preparation of filler application... but gave up rather quickly... I just didn't have the energy. I'm running on about four hours sleep in the last two days... so I decided to just go to bed.

More to come...

CGFlyer
03-11-2007, 10:50 PM
May I enquire as to where you got the Airwolf kit?

20Q
03-12-2007, 05:02 AM
I have a feeling this going to be a very cool build. I found a link to madmike43613's video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3pc...related&search=) from another forum. He did the build on BCX2. I thought the way the retracts functioned was very cool, and the heli just looks impressive.

Good luck on your build. Try to post your progress and videos.

leapfrog
03-12-2007, 08:05 AM
What a hoot! madmike43613 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3pcxk76vZw) has quite a little bird there... Yeah, I plan on updating this thread as the build progresses... stay tuned!

As a matter of fact, I'm researching the retracts now... Century has some for this bird... but they use spring steel (don't look like the full scale oleo strutted, trailing arm set that the real bird uses). Graupner has some... and are interesting... we'll see. I'm also looking into the lighting for this bird (yep, it's gonna have rotating beacons and clearance lights). I'm playing with the rivets now... (learning on scrap)... and studying the "real" panels to plan the rivet layout. I have a feeling this is going to take a while (there are a *lot* of rivets on the real bird). I've sanded all of the joins in preparation of body filler... but that is something I want to do in one or two sittings... so I have to complete the body first (bond the pieces together).

This is really fun... and rather interesting trying to pull all of the information together... and a trade off... just how much I want to make detailed to follow the "real" thing <- rather subjective, seeing as there really wasn't a "real" bird outside of the TV show... anyway... stay tuned... I'll post pics at the next stage.

Oops... sorry CGFlyer... I bought the unpainted fuse kit from Century (http://www.centuryheli.com/products/fuselages/funkey/CN4040A/index.html?currentid=172)...

and here is a bigger pic (http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/file.php?n=1321&w=o) of the fuse from my gallery... in fact, if you watch that you may see stuff I don't post (I change it all the time)

Lawn Dart
03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Pretty danged awesome! Is your helicopter project going to feature working chain guns? Er, you know, to get rid of those annoying cats in your backyard.

leapfrog
03-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Hehe... spinning it up itself does that, rather nicely... *big grin*

Still practicing on making rivets... I'm getting close... and I need to get started on the upper hatch alignment pins and slots pretty soon.

"chain guns"... hehe... that actually got the Airwolf crew into a bit of hot water... From the Airwolf wikipedia: Although Airwolf carries 30-mm Chain Guns and 40-mm Cannons, in the beginning of the Pilot, Airwolf's "wingtip" pod is described as carrying "30mm Cannons." The Universal construction blueprints, shots of which we see in Airwolf's opening credits, describes the "Chain Guns" as 2x .50 caliber and a 30mm cannon; these specifications are also listed in the 'File A56-7W' briefings in the first season. These are the sizes of Airwolf's original guns; however, the prop guns mounted on the helicopter were too small to be seen properly and were enlarged at the request of Don Bellisario. The term 'Chain Guns' was used until it was determined to be a trademarked term, after which it was simply replaced by String calling for 'combat mode'.

I'm trying to find a source for "Phantom Gray Metallic (DuPont Imron 5031X)", and a custom pearl-gray (almost white)... that's gonna hafta be mixed... but I have a lot of time... like I said, still practicing at making rivets.

I've decided to go with LumiCorp (http://www.maxxlights.com/index.html) for a custom light harness... and I still can't make my mind up on the landing gear... and whether or not to make nose gear doors (I'm actually thinking of copying the ones on my Mooney - but don't tell anyone).

CGFlyer
03-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know if there is a kit with tail rotor on the opposite side, like the real Airwolf was?

20Q
03-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Leapfrog,

I think madmike used a servo to control the retract and hooked it to the spare channel of the receiver in order to control it with the TX.

Lawn Dart
03-15-2007, 02:50 AM
Hey leapfrog, for your working landing gear doors you should be able to tie it all together mechanically... Spring-load the doors shut, and when the landing gear drops, the doors open. Make something that pushes the doors open when the wheels start to push downward. Don't make the tire push the door open, because then it would get all hung up when the wheels retract. But rather, make a piece of frame that pushes the doors open smoothly when the wheels drop. It shouldn't be that hard to fabricate. :)

leapfrog
03-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Hehe... Yeah, I've already taken shots of my Mooney's doors... (they're mechanical, too). They use an over center attachment to the nose gear strut... and they actually are widest prior to gear down lock. Still thinking about it. There are pros and cons... we'll see.

I've also decided on the Century gear (because they're easier to work with), and the fuse is set up for them already... but they are *ugly* springs... no fear, I'm going to build little oleo struts and trailing arms to hide them. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Hummm... why is it "cats" seem to continue to creep into the conversation?

Anyway... worked on the gear assemblies tonight... and have the servo trays made up and mounted. I think I am going to build a servo speed controller to slow them down a bit... and hey - since this build uses three separate servos (one for each gear), I can build in some "realistic" out of sequence cycling... I think that'll be fun!

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/images/9011/medium/1_Servo_Trays.jpg

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/images/9011/medium/1_Gear_Fitting.jpg

leapfrog
03-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Weeeeeeeee!

Next update: I started the fabrication of the oleo struts and trailing links for the landing gear... I actually think they're going to turn out better than I originally thought... not totally scale, but considering the springs I'm dealing with... it'll look a *lot* better.

The lighting is on order, as well as the Basic Stamp I intend on using to create a servo controller for the gear. I've done some playing with my dev environment, and a couple of extra servos I have laying around... and I think I can create a rather realistic set of "random" cycling scenarios for the gear (using lookup tables and the LOOKUP directive). I've played a bit with a "differential acceleration" for the servos too, to simulate a "freefall" event... but don't know if I'll incorporate that or not... we'll see.

I actually took tonight off on the build... it was totally wonderful outside... (for Kansas, anyway)... mid 70's and very little wind. I took *both* 600's out (the stock bird and the donor heli) and exhausted all my bats too quickly... so I threw the Hoss x4 (belt-driven main gear birdie - 450 sized) in the air for a bat, then my T-Rex 450SE, then my HDX450SE... and starting over with the Hoss. I expended all 12 bats for those rather quickly... pooh. Now I'm in the middle of a "charge fest"... but I have all three chargers going and am about finished... (well with 15 of them anyway... gonna take another hour to finish, but I keep reminding myself how nice it was tonight.) I hate charging.

Stay tuned.

leapfrog
03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Okay, I'm still playing with my servo controller.... my code currently follows this logic:

1. initialize variables (operating parameters)
2. check RX input
.....a. if no signal, activate *fast* beeper, loop looking for signal
.....b. if Gear switch is in "up" position, activate *slow* beeper - wait in loop until gear switch is placed "down"
.....c. if Gear switch is "down" continue
3. initiialize servo "gear down" signal down (this part looks up the endpoints stored, and just sends that signal to each servo... rather holds the gear down position).
4. enter state 0 (slow gear-down pulses, looking for RX change of state)
.....a. if RX input = UP, go to state 1 (call step 6)
.....b. if RX input = DOWN, loop
5. enter state 1 (slow gear-up pulses, looking for RX change of state)
.....a. if RX input = DOWN, go to state 0 (call step 6)
.....b. if RX input = UP, loop
6. transition state
.....a. double check RX input for change of state
.....b. lookup operating parameters (<- this is where I get creative, and make certain servos operate faster/slower than others)
.....c. cycle servos to "new" state using new parameters
.....d. enter new state (either 4 or 5, depending on RX input)

So... anything missing in this logic? It seems to work in my development environment...

I've done some stuff with differential acceleration on the servos to make the gear "jerk about" rather like a freefall event.. and I'm currently playing with the nose gear starting first, and finishing last compared to the mains... (but I am only playing with two servos - I'd appreciate any ideas to make them more "realistic")

leapfrog
03-22-2007, 08:52 AM
No other ideas?

leapfrog
03-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I noticed that *no one* has addressed the in-flight refueling port (heck, it was a big deal, even in the first episode)... I've started playing with a piece of 4mm CF tubing, and the layout. The *real* bird also had a pitot tube just below that... I'm trying to decide if I want to include that also...

Brutal E
03-24-2007, 12:30 AM
I never noticed that. Refueling was part of the show I must have missed. Though going the extra mile on a scale ship is well worth it. Anyone see that scale police heli in RC Heli magazine? That thing is amazing in its detail.

leapfrog
03-24-2007, 01:10 AM
The refueling port was Airwolf's "one" weakness... I think the line was "one shot there, and the whole thing goes..." (which is rather dumb, but I didn't write it).

Brutal E
03-24-2007, 05:25 AM
That is funny. A bottle rocket up the fuel port would take out the most advanced heli on the planet. According to the show anyway.

PilotDane
03-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Leapfrog: After working on Airwolf I bet the engine compartment of your Mooney will seem spacious. I'm sure that's never happened before.

leapfrog
03-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Hehe... actually, it's not that bad inside the fuse... and compared to my Mooney (not just the cowling, but just about *anywhere* on the bird), it's really pretty easy... well, so far.

Quick update... still working on the gear... I tossed out the stock links (they kinda sucked), and sized some new ones (T-Rex 600 servo links and 450 stainless balls)... I have the geometery set up, and they are actuating really nicely (connected to my Basic Stamp development board). I'm playing with the code some more to make it realistic... complete with some random movements... and I started working on the fueling port. I fired up the lathe, and turned some oleo struts, and the "end" of the fueling port out of some dowel stock I had laying around.

Okay, so I'm slow... but I'm having a blast with this stuff... My PCB should arrive this week to complete the servo controller for the gear... and I should have the final version of the code wrapped up by then... I'll finish the gear (complete with trailing links) and then move on to the fuse stuff like nozzles, and mesh... and stuff... stay tuned.

leapfrog
03-27-2007, 08:52 AM
I did a really funny thing... with all three gear, they go up and down with differing speeds between the nose and mains... and I've been playing with a random action... and one of my attempts resulted in a "noticable" pause at the down cycle... then lock into position. I think I like it... and I'll keep it. I'm documenting the circuit, and code... (and I'll post when it's done so others can do the same if they want). It's pretty stinking funny how much time I've spent with the code to play with this... but, oh well... I giggle, and that's all I care about really.

PilotDane
03-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes, but those little details make it look real.
---
When my dad was having trouble with the gear on his Arrow I'd fly up tight underneath watching him cycle the gear. Each gear leg always seems to start/stop moving at a different time and sometimes one will transit faster than the others. It reminds me of the WWII movies with the fighters lifting their gear. One leg is half way up before the other one moves.

leapfrog
03-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Hehe... yeah, but it depends on the "system"... most hydraulic gear has that "out of sequence" effect... but it mostly depends on whether the actuators share the "pressure" side or are individually actuated (goes to the electrically actuated stuff too - because of the difference in the actuators). The best example is *my* Mooney's gear... It's perfectly synchronized, and there is zero difference between any individual leg... but you'll ocasionally see the "system" bobble a bit (and that is because of me). I've got a C Model, with "manual" gear... I'm the "motor" in the system. I love that gear.

Anyway... back to the build. I've pretty much completed the "production" controller... (I'll post pics on the next round)... but you can see the layout of the board I did last night... with the attached. I cut off the part above the line on the PCB, and the connections are (in clockwise motion) Nose servo, Right Main servo, Left Main servo, and RX input. The little round thingy is the piezo speaker I use to beep stuff (see the code above).

Brutal E
03-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Leapfrog the Mooney you refer to is it RC or full sized. Growing up I spent lots of time in a Mooney. It was our family car on long trips. My father owned several planes. We did lots of family trips in that plane. Oh the memories......the awful memories.

leapfrog
03-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Full scale... she's been my distance buster for almost 10 years. Her nick is "punkin'"... and if you saw her before her makeover, you'd understand.

leapfrog
03-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Okie doke... I took some pics of the final controller while I was downstairs... I'm moving on to the gear legs... gotta finish those, because I want to get them painted and move on to the refuel port...

leapfrog
03-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Okay, so I said I would post my final code for the gear controller - but I decided that I would post my "generic" version (actually the second version) that just synchronized the gear operation (don't want to give away *all* my secrets, hehe)... creative coders can take it from there. I haven't completed the schematic of the controller yet because I'm too busy building... but I will, eventually (and I'll help anyone that wants to build one now without waiting by answering questions).

It's in the attached file... (the extension was changed to txt from "bs2")

And I've done some more on the fake gear by working on the oleo struts, and the shocks... I attached a pic of what I'm doing on the fake gear... you get the idea. I should be able to finish tomorrow night and move on to the refueling port. This stuff is just plain fun... *big grin*

leapfrog
04-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Quick update: still working on the bird... and had an interesting discussion with a fellow at work regarding my gear controller (he's following the thread). He asked me if I had a "squat switch"... (for those that are unaware, it's a lockout to keep gear from folding up while the bird is still on the ground). Hummm... I thought of the checks for the gear switch on startup (it beeps if the switch is in the wrong position)... but I didn't think of keeping the gear from folding up if it is moved before liftoff... hummm. Is there a way to know if the model is still on the ground? Yep... and it's not a "switch"... How about SONAR!

Hehe... I have enough computing power in the stamp, and enough left over I/O (only need one pin)... I can install an ultrasonic sensor (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28015), and measure the model's distance to the ground. Here's the *beauty* of the concept... I only have to change one line of code.

Hehe... man, I guess one could go crazy with this stuff.

Brutal E
04-04-2007, 03:52 AM
What do you think of turning the headspeed down to get more of a real helicopter flight. This months RC Heli suggested it. The agressive 3D set up is not needed for scale and you can conserve power. Just a thought as you are putting so much detail into the look of the aircraft. Some thought to how it should fly is probably warranted. Better start working on those afterburners LOL.

leapfrog
04-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah, that was an interesting article... and, here's the deal. You are totally correct in saying that there should be some thought into the flight characteristics. I am planning on flying this bird just as much as my others. I'm spendiing a *lot* of time on the build (more than any other - ever - and just wait till you see the panel layout for the rivets... we're talking hours of "dots" here)... but it's gonna get in the air as much as possible... not a "hangar queen" if you get my drift. I had a slower headspeed on my 600#1, and it was "less than satisfying". It flew, but there was a "delay" in all input that just made me go "hummmm". I've already been playing with the curves on the donor mechanics to make it as "realistic" as possible (in pod and boom dress) without sacrificing the "fun" factor. I'm even researching tossing the flybar... when the day is done, this heli is gonna have to be "fun" to fly... and fly it's gonna... why else would I put in this kind of effort? She's not gonna go on a shelf somewhere...

Afterburners... hehe... I saw an Airwolf build that had high intensity LEDs on the lower nozzles... looked kinda hokey... (seems to me there should be some ignition flicker, etc... hummm...)

*big grin*

Brutal E
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Think butane torch. Activated by servos. Sounds safe LOL. I like the level of detail you are going for. That is what scale is all about. This project rocks hard. Got me thinking scale. Some kind of project on a smaller scale. Maybe a police copter with working spotlight and detailed cockpit. I will be following your progress closely.

leapfrog
04-06-2007, 02:46 AM
*blush* Thanks guys... I hope I can keep you entertained as I rather have a blast myself building this thing... I have to warn you, I'm a bit slow... but I'll do what I can to keep the thread going with new stuff.

I've been working off of pictures of the full scale to place the refueling tube... and I think I have it nailed. Now I need to just get the backing glued in and the mounting hole drilled... next up, more fuselage stuff...

leapfrog
04-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Quick update... I realized I never showed the final gear in paint... so here it is... I also have a vid (shot with my camera - but it uploads as a quicktime ".mov" and I want to upload as windows media... I'll do that as soon as I process it) of the gear operating with my controller, complete with the failsafe "beeps"... hehe...

I'm working on the fuse more now, and making the appropriate mods to support the lighting...

Oh... and Happy Easter everyone! (even though it's late) I also put a few more flights on the donor mechanics (I have to keep thinking of it that way... because it's really fun to fly in the stock dress)... I put several bats through it yesterday (on the left) - we had unusually calm winds and I took both 600's for test drives... and I realized that I need more bats. I went through the 4600's and 4900's like they were candy... ended up with a charging party, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the wolf and it's refueling - yet...

stay tuned...

leapfrog
04-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Hummm... I've got the lighting done (except for the tail fin clearance light - that's gonna take some "creative" drilling and routing of the wiring... but I'll get it)

Next up... mesh and horizontal/vertical stabs...

stay tuned.

leapfrog
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Hummm... I took the day off (other than some light-ply work for the mechanics installation) to play with some helis... it was a great day... burned through all the bats for my two 600's... and I am getting more time (all else equal) on the torque tube setup than I am on my belted 600... interesting. Same bats, same flying... just more time on the torque tube. Interesting.

I also had the first successful emergency auto-to-landing on another bird (my belt-driven main Hoss x4)... I obviously over drove the BEC on the ESC (that sucker was hot when it got on the ground)... and will definitely be installing an external BEC... fly and learn... hehe.

PilotDane
04-18-2007, 02:11 AM
What is the torque tube setup you mention on your 600?

leapfrog
04-18-2007, 04:21 AM
It's a CF tube/bearing assembly, tailcase, and tailboom mount upgrade that replaces the belt to drive the tail rotor.... see: torque tube upgrade (http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_72_81&products_id=1538)

I chose it mainly to keep from having to tension the belt when I install the mechanics in the fuselage... but it's turning out to be a pretty nice upgrade all around.

How've you been, PD?

Murdock1
04-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Hiya Leapfrog!

I can't beleive I missed this thread before. Just got up to speed with it and man is it cool! Can't wait for more progress.

Edit....

This is horrible...now I've got the 'Airwolf' screensaver with musical theme running on my work PC...

leapfrog
04-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Hehe... Hey Murdock1!

Yeah, I can't wait to fly it!... I'll get there.

leapfrog
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Okie doke.. another quick update... I've been working on the fuse... and have both the intakes and exhaust installed (CA'd it in first, followed up with epoxy). I started to install the mesh before that... but then (after the first piece was installed) realized that it would be better to leave that for later since I need to do some body work (mainly filler and smoothing on the seams)... next in line is the frame mount - I purchased some aluminum extrusion... I'm going to build a subframe - complete with tray for the bats/electrics. I also still need to figure out how to drill out the vertical fin for the wiring of the rear clearance light (I know, just a long bit and prolly a forstner bit for the join... but still - it's the "first" time for this stuff with no do-overs).

And I am still thinking about the fuel... I could put a bat in there and just charge in place - as others - but I rather like to fly, and charging at the site is a bore (and there is the safety issue - what if I need to get the bat out fast?)... uh, oh... I just realized that it is getting close to the time for me to tear the donor heli apart... *sigh*

leapfrog
04-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Check this out... Airwolf/Bell 222 Retracts (http://www.scalerchelis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=75920&sid=4100a725b5a74f72f88824e1c2b955bb#75920) This chap removes the existing gear formers, and replaces them with his own creation, including very nice gear sets. It includes nose gear doors... Very nice!

I really don't care for the single servo operation, though... because that is a departure from "reality"... and I used the fact that there were separate servos with my gear controller to provide the "out-of-sequence" operation to provide realism.

It's great to see what others have done. I like his gear way better... but I like my operation better. I may have to revisit later.

leapfrog
05-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Quick update... I've been playing too much with the donor in pod and boom... but the weather took a bad turn, so I started working on more of the fuse... and I started rethinking the gear (yet again). I've got tons of unused I/O on the gear controller... so I started playing with sequencing yet another servo for the nose gear doors... (I was really looking for a mechanical solution... but a dedicated servo will actually be easier to implement), and I can put in failsafes for gear servo actuation depending on the gear door position (simple microswitches)... we're talking true closed-loop control here... rather scale, if you ask me. So I'm starting to look back on the gear setup, and I have a rather funny little test setup built using my dev environment (yet again). Sorry to put you through this, folks... but it is rather cool... and is working rather well.

I've also been watching (with interest) another builder that is working on a flybarless head setup for the 600 mechanics... and I am starting to think that is the way I want to go for this build... I mean, heck... if I'm in for a penny... might as well be a pound... (and that saying is more appropriate than you can imagine... but that is another story).

Murdock1
05-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Can't wait to see more pics, especially after you get the gear working the way you want it to.

brettlw
05-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Very Very Cool Leapfrog.

leapfrog
05-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Hehe... thanks buddy. (glad to see you popped in here - FYI, Brett is a wolfer too)...

stay tuned.

leapfrog
05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Now for the *new* portion of the build... I've been delayed because I'm playing with my pod and boom 600's (the WX is on and off... we recently lost an entire town to an F5 tornado just north of here... but unusual calm surrounded that event)....

I have built a "positive" mold for the nose gear doors out of foam... and am making up a negative mold in which I will be laying up the final fiberglass doors (something I have never done before, but want to give it a try). I've also played with my dev environment (way earlier posts) to modify my gear controller to sequence the gear doors with the gear... it works well there, so far. I'm going to have to create a "surround" on the body around the nose gear opening to stiffen it up to support the hinges... and I'm still trying to work out the geometry for the door servo...(a micro I'm planning on mounting to the back gear support ply). I'm snapping pics... but as usual, will post the final stuff as I get things worked out.

Man, this stuff is fun.

brettlw
05-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Cool. Let me know how the fiberglass works out. On my LJ Airwolf I used multiple layers of plywood for the doors and spring loaded them. I used a servo for each door and custom cams that mounted in place of the servo wheel. The shape if the cams determined the timing on the doors. On the Funkey wolf I'm using an electronic controller. If you have good luck with the fiberglass I might give that a try for the doors.

leapfrog
05-10-2007, 07:38 AM
okie doke. will do.

Murdock1
06-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Thought I'd go ahead and post an update request on this one too. Know you've been busy with the tandem but am sure anxious to see this one also.

leapfrog
06-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Hey Murdock! (again)... hehe... I'm still playing with the nose gear doors... I've modified my gear controller to include two more ports for two more servos (to manage the gear doors), and a power port for the lighting.

I'm currently settling on the true scale three-door configuration...

As you have mentioned... work on this bird has slowed down with introduction of the tandem project... but it is still inching along... I'll have to post update pics. I do have the refueling port done, and besides the nose gear doors... I'm working on designing a frame to hold the windscreen - and make it removable (but retaining the scale look) so that I can change the bats in the field.

brettlw
06-20-2007, 04:38 AM
You don't need to do anything except make your own servo wheels. A cam shape for each servo will open the doors and they will close if you spring load them. I spent about 30 days back in 89 making everything work with no electronic gear handlers. I'll be glad to show you how it works.

leapfrog
06-20-2007, 05:48 AM
I'd love to see it brettlw... post a pic?

Crash9
07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Bump, How's the wolf coming out...

leapfrog
07-29-2007, 12:00 AM
It's been progressing... but *very* slowly... I've been playing with the "Twinny (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19538)" too much, lately. There have been some other things that have also been taking up my time, but they're more important so that is simply where it is.

I did the refueling port, and the mechanics tray... and have been trying to decide on doing my own pitot tubes or just buying OTS (and getting the wipers along with them)... I'm still trying to figure out the windscreen frame... but I did make progress with the nose gear doors... as you know there is quite a bit of space available behind the nose gear extended... and on the scale bird there is a third little door that folds up against the body whilst the two front doors close behind the gear extension... well... I'm working on that. I modified my gear controller... and added two more ports. I've got the front two doors working off a single micro servo with a dual control rod setup... and I have been playing with a "special" little rear door number... spring-actuated... and an insert to fill the remaining space behind the gear (actually makes it easier to install/service as a unit).

Crash9
07-30-2007, 12:53 AM
It's been progressing... but *very* slowly... I've been playing with the "Twinny (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19538)" too much, lately. There have been some other things that have also been taking up my time, but they're more important so that is simply where it is.I totally uderstand, I just started building the Trex 600 I got back in Feb. Life sometimes gets in the way of my hobbies and I wouldn't have it any other way (kids, work, little womans needs, etc..http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif).

Murdock1
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Cool to hear Leap....I've no doubts it'll all be a sweet set-up when done. Hope all else you've been dealing with is going well and getting better. Sometimes 'Real Life' pops up and that's that, no more stick time for who knows how long. Hang in there Leap.

leapfrog
08-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Yeah, Murdock1... it's the "trip" and not the "destination"... I actually got to spend a couple of hours on the lady tonight... rather catching up and regrouping a new game plan. I also tried a couple of new springs on the "third" nose gear door... I'm trying to find the right torsion spring to make things work smoothly... I have to laugh at spending so much time on one little piece... but it works for me, and that is the important thing.

And yeah, on the personal front... things are a bit better. I see progress there too... the end result is inevitable (for all of us)... but as I said before, it's the trip... not the destination. That is for certain. *big grin*