PDA

View Full Version : Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as my 1st plane?

Jeremy Z
10-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post here. It looks like a great place where I can get some good advice.

I haven't even bought a plane yet, nor have I ever flown one. So this is going to be my first plane. I've been doing hours & hours of reading on the internet, and I'd like to start with a durable foamy with rear pusher prop.

Between these two planes, which do you think is a better choice?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htmMultiplex
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tipsy.htm

Easystar

+ Big. Might be better in breezy conditions?
+ Two-piece wing, easier to transport
+ 400 class motor may be have more thrust than the 280 on the Tipsy. Not sure though, as this is a bigger plane too...
+ Bigger fuselage may be better for battery and/or motor upgrades later?

Tipsy

+ 30 minute flight times are common. (from what the reviewers say)
+ Doubles as a glider, with power-assist when necessary/desired
+ One-piece wing. Easier alignment likely?
+ Since this doubles as a glider, would I be less likely to be bored with it down the road?
? Would the smaller glider-type design mean it's going to be more problematic in a breeze?

I'm concerned about the breeze-worthiness because it is often gusty in my neck of the woods. (north suburban Chicago area)

I'm attracted to the long flight times and glider abilities of the Tipsy. But maybe the EasyStar is more stable in a breeze or sudden gust of wind?

From your collective experience, what do you think would be the better starter?

I'm going to be starting alone, without an instructor, and with only about $300 max, for what it's worth.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Edit: After reading other posts, I should probably consider the T-Hawk too, though it seems to have much shorter flight times. (6-15 min. vs. 10-30 on the other two)

aeropal
10-10-2005, 10:04 PM
The EasyStar foam is much more resilient (higher bounce factor) . . Tipsy is more fragile "ice chest" type foam. Battery mah capacity and personal flying style are two of several factors that determine flight duration. 1200 mah (http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp?sid=411656&pgid=loosecells) 2/3A cells are currently available, and 7 or 8 cell EasyStar packs are popular. The ready-to-fly (RTF) version is another option . . NorthStar (http://www.northstarrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_62_107&products_id=628) . . Hobby People (http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240025.asp).

Twmaster
10-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Having experience with both I'd suggest the Easy Star hands down. The Tipsy is very fragile and will not handle wind well at all. I also had problems with ballance with small and lightweight (eg lipo) batteries.

Tom Moody
10-11-2005, 12:56 AM
That's easy, get the Easy Star. I have had both and believe me the Tipsy is extremly fragile. The Easy Star will take a lot of abuse and bounce right back for more.

Tom Moody

turnwaldw
10-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Easy Star is the one to get I love it its about the easiest plane to fly and at half throttle it will fly what seams like forever. I have had it thremal along time and with a lite breeze it will stand still in the air with a little throttle.

qban_flyer
10-11-2005, 01:34 AM
The Easy Star wins hands down over the Tipsy in every aspect. I've owned both and found the Easy Star the better of the two flyers by a wide margin.

You can't go wrong with the Easy Star, it takes all the abuse you can dish out and will keep coming back for more.

The Tipsy won't take any abuse at all and when it breaks it does so in many, many pieces. So much so, that you'll need a vacum cleaner to scoop it all up! Been there, done that.

Get the Easy Star and you'll be very pleased.

Twmaster
10-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Hey Q! Stop stealing my quotes! :D

qban_flyer
10-11-2005, 03:05 AM
Hey Q! Stop stealing my quotes! :D

Borrowed it since I first got it! I usually rotate the cute ones I get. Time for another one.

Take two aspirins and call me in the morning, plz.

L8R

Jeremy Z
10-11-2005, 03:43 AM
I just bought a T-Hawk!!! I was too anxious, or I would've surely bought the EasyStar after all that glowing praise. :(

After reading about a lot of cra$he$, I decided the plastic fuselage of the T-Hawk would take a lickin' better than the EasyStar's foam.

I figured that since there's no way I'm going to actually do it properly, (join the AMA, hire an instructor) I should get a plane that's really going to take a beating. (T-Hawk) It helped that it is about $100 cheaper, similarly equipped, and includes spares. I paid $213, which included everything: Beefed-up landing gear and three Ni-MH packs.

It really broke my heart that I already paid for the T-Hawk after that one post where it said how long one can glide with the EasyStar. C'est la Vie.

My plan was to learn (crash) with something cheap, then buy a beautiful Sig or Piper Cub. Build it from balsa, get an aileron model, and put a fast engine on it, the whole 9 yards. (after I'm done crashing) Who knows though. Maybe I will want something insanely fast and stunt-worthy after the T-Hawk...

I don't know. Maybe I made the right choice. I want to learn to fly, then decide if I really like it. Maybe the $213 T-Hawk was the perfect way to do that.

Thanks for all the great advice, and wish me luck!

Jeremy

Jeremy Z
10-11-2005, 03:48 AM
The Tipsy won't take any abuse at all and when it breaks it does so in many, many pieces. So much so, that you'll need a vacum cleaner to scoop it all up! Been there, done that.

You know, once I read the Fly RC review on the Tipsy, I was sold. The reviewer said how indestructible it would be, yadda yadda yadda. But for some reason, it never occurred to me that he was already a pro & wasn't going to crash it. So how the hell would HE know? Damn. I guess he assumed everyone was going to learn on a buddy box.

The icing on the cake is that I really like the looks of the EasyStar better than the T-Hawk, on top of everything else.

<sigh> Time to make another Long Island Iced Tea.

Jeremy

qban_flyer
10-11-2005, 04:06 AM
You know, once I read the Fly RC review on the Tipsy, I was sold. The reviewer said how indestructible it would be, yadda yadda yadda. But for some reason, it never occurred to me that he was already a pro & wasn't going to crash it. So how the hell would HE know? Damn. I guess he assumed everyone was going to learn on a buddy box.

The icing on the cake is that I really like the looks of the EasyStar better than the T-Hawk, on top of everything else.

<sigh> Time to make another Long Island Iced Tea.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I've been flying R/C since 1968 and U Control since 1957. Yup! I'm "olde farte" @ 60, but I would have appreciated the use of a vacum cleaner when I hard landed (not crashed) the Tipsy at DC-RC last year. The 47 years flying model airplanes did me no good when it came to flying the Tipsy. Not enough power and a rather unstable little thing for anyone to fly. I would not recommend it to anyone under any circumstances, much less a rank beginner.

At times I wonder about the reviews, reviewers and, well, I hope you get my drift. I used to believe everything I read on reviews. Everything from toaster ovens to High End audio equipment. NOT that gullible anymore, and yes, I am sure he must have had an inkling as to how fragile that thing could be once he opened the box. Did he mention in his "review" how many times he "crash tested" it? I realized the mistake I had made once all the Tipsy parts were out of the box.

BTW, can you pour me one of those L.I. Iced Teas? I sure can use one just about now!

Deereret
10-11-2005, 04:35 AM
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240025.asp
Too late but if the T-Hawk gets destroyed you can get the Easy Star RTF her for $160 + shipping. I really like my EZ.
Gene

willyb
10-11-2005, 05:19 AM
Jeremy,

I, too, have been in R/C for many years. and consider myself an intermediate fun flyer. I have owned two Tipsys and they both have broken fuselages plus other damage due to improper launching, too much wind, radio failure, etc. The Tipsys are very fragile and certainly not a beginner airplane. The foam is ordinary beaded foam with mininal strength on hitting terra firma. It does repair easily if it doesn't shatter into too many pieces, (which it generally does ), but EPP foam is the way to go. I would not hesitate to go with the Easy Star. It is better to hit the ground with EPP foam than with ordinary beaded inexpensive "cooler type foam". I cannot understand where the reviewers are coming from, telling us that that the Tipsy is a great beginner's airplane. It is a real fun plane until you have one of those unavoidable crashes; then you have a lot of repair work to do with little foam pieces like a jig saw puzzle, if you can find them all. Go with the Easy Star.

Bill

Jeremy Z
10-11-2005, 06:24 AM
You guys are killing me! Any happy T-Hawk owners out there?

turnwaldw
10-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I,m kinda a self taught flyer myself I did all the reading and was about to get the tipsy when I saw the Easy Star and thought it would be a nice plane to keep in the car for thous speer of the moument flight wims. It is pretty indestructable my first flight ended up in a tree when the tape that holds the elevator on let go. Alls tha happened was some small scrapes so if you get one glue the elevator and tail on get rid of the tape. There is a Easy Star fan page site which has modes on it which do work like the magnets to hold the wings on better and rudder modes. Just my two cents its a great plane and fun to fly.
Dave

N3CLI
10-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Where can I find the EasyStarr fans site?

Thanks for your info.

Fred:) AMA68196

qban_flyer
10-11-2005, 03:21 PM
It is better to hit the ground with EPP foam than with ordinary beaded inexpensive "cooler type foam". I cannot understand where the reviewers are coming from, telling us that that the Tipsy is a great beginner's airplane. It is a real fun plane until you have one of those unavoidable crashes; then you have a lot of repair work to do with little foam pieces like a jig saw puzzle, if you can find them all. Go with the Easy Star.

Bill

Bill,

I think you have hit on something with your "cooler type foam" comment. A cooler and a Tipsy, hmmm! Perhaps it's not the flyers fault after all. Could it be that this plane has been 'indulging' and it's a bit on the "tipsy" side? HE, HE, HE.
And yes, the foam used to put that thing together is absolutely unfit for any model, much less a beginner's.

Coming in for a landing on grass under normal circumstances (for those of us who are able to handle such a feat after destroying one or two of them) will wear its foam down over time. Give it less than a handful of hard landings, (as many beginners will invariably do) and it won't survive its first outing to the field. Fixing it with epoxy will put some of them back together, but will also make it heavier and more un-flyable than before.

Regarding reviews, reviewers and mags I'll say this much. Is it possible for a magazine that advertises in order to increase revenues to write a bad review about a bad product they may be advertising within their own pages? Think it over.

I've been burned a few times by 'reviews, reviewers and magazines' in the past 30+ years to believe a word they say about anything anymore. When I bought the Tipsy last year I did so based solely on what its vendor had printed on their web page. Big mistake on my part to have done so. I don't believe a word they print anymore, especially when it comes to some of the 'road kill' planes they peddle and that some in the hobby refer to as 'profile' models. The same applies to the other 'biggie' vendor in the R/C field.

The Easy Star is still the better of the two models, and when you consider the price between it and the Tipsy it's a bargain. The Tipsy, after adding the motor and propeller will set the buyer back $62.70 ($39.90 for the plane, plus $8.90 for the motor, and $13.90 for the folding propeller). The Easy Star through the same vendor is $59.90, or $2.80 cheaper and comes with the motor and propeller in the box! It isn't even a contest between the two, the Easy Star wins hands down in every respect.

qban_flyer
10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
You guys are killing me! Any happy T-Hawk owners out there?

Hello again Jeremy,

I've flown a few of them on their maiden flights. I don't own one but I will say that it is a great flying machine, one that will take off from a smooth solid surface. The only problem I see is that the T-Hawk doesn't like to 'accidentally" run into solid surfaces. It squishes its nose badly and may damage the wing.

For a beginner I would recommend the Easy Star, though. Run it into a brick wall (I've seen a few flyers do that) and it will bounce back to keep flying the rest of the day.

qban_flyer
10-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Where can I find the EasyStarr fans site?

Thanks for your info.

Morning Fred,

Easy Star Fan Club web page's URL:

http://www.tyber.com/easystar/

N3CLI
10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Good Morning and thanks.

The site is great!

turnwaldw
10-11-2005, 04:01 PM
There is also this one which has threads on I believe to up to 23 pages. http://www.mpx-easystar.de/

qban_flyer
10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Good Morning and thanks.

The site is great!

Glad to have been of some assistance. Happy flying!:D

aeropal
10-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Any happy T-Hawk owners out there?
The T-Hawk (http://www.readytoflyfun.com/thawk3chrtf.html) has a good reputation for a first airplane. One downside is the 27mhz T-Hawk radio, as compared to the 72mhz EasyStar RTF radio. Since 27mhz is an "open" frequency band, in some areas there may be so many radio "glitches" that the plane cannot be reliably controlled. Might be best to not install the landing gear initially . . just hand launch level, cut thrust at altitude to practice gliding, and land on a park or school yard lawn. One tree recovery technique (http://www.rcflying.net/forums/showpost.php?p=42616&postcount=4). FMS sim (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4357&postcount=11) . . T-Hawk file (http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm).

qban_flyer
10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
There is also this one which has threads on I believe to up to 23 pages. http://www.mpx-easystar.de/

Superb site. Some absolutely marvelous aerial photos of the German countryside taken with a camera onboard the Easy Star.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

turnwaldw
10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks I really like the site and the mods they really make the easy star much better when added.

Doppelganger
10-11-2005, 06:31 PM
I,m kinda a self taught flyer myself I did all the reading and was about to get the tipsy when I saw the Easy Star and thought it would be a nice plane to keep in the car for thous speer of the moument flight wims. It is pretty indestructable my first flight ended up in a tree when the tape that holds the elevator on let go. Alls tha happened was some small scrapes so if you get one glue the elevator and tail on get rid of the tape. There is a Easy Star fan page site which has modes on it which do work like the magnets to hold the wings on better and rudder modes. Just my two cents its a great plane and fun to fly.
Dave

The elevator is pre-hinged. Did you cut it off and tape it?

N3CLI
10-11-2005, 06:57 PM
What mods did you add?

How does it fly with the stock motor.

Thanks

turnwaldw
10-11-2005, 07:34 PM
I left the elevator hinged and havent had any problems mine was a ready to fly kit just charge install wings check cg and launch. The stock motor for were I am flying is ok by me I did the rudder mod which made a big difference in turning also I install the magnets for the wings. The next thing I might try is rehinging the elevator and replacing the control rods with something alittle better.
Dave

ForestCam
10-11-2005, 07:51 PM
If you're looking for a 3 ch RTF pusher set up for around $100 get yourself a Wing Dragon off ebay.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/19/36/6a_1_b.JPG

I've got well over a hundred flights (and replaced three wings :o ) on mine since I got it over a year ago and even though I've graduated to a 4 ch plane I still love flying my Wing Dragon.

It has a 400 motor and comes with a 1000 mah Nimh pack. The newer versions actually come with a decent 4 ch radio that can be used in other things. Extra battery packs (1100 mah) can be picked up on ebay as well for around $20 shipped per pair.

Solcat
10-12-2005, 12:49 AM
I started with an Aerobird. It is alot like a T-hawk. Both are pretty durable. The Easy Star is better, but the T-Hawk is probably at least second.

Slent thndr
10-12-2005, 02:41 AM
I agree with the glowing posts about easy stars in this thread. I personally learned on a Combat Wing (probably wouldn't reccomend it). However, just recently a friend asked me what he should buy to learn to fly on. I did some research on it and the answer was clear. Easy Star all the way. I am currenly putting one together, impressed with it so far!

kloudking
10-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Hey: If you really want to have some fun, put an eskay 400 brushless motor on a 3c lipoly, and enlarge the rudder to 100% more than the way it comes..Cut down a gws 10x4.3 prop to about 5.5 inches, and you will have a very good, very long (on 530 3 cell pack) flight.. We get about 35-45 min..If This thing was any more fun, it would be illegal, and this is coming from a 40 year flyer!! The first electric I ever flew weighed 42 oz. on an old brushed 05 geared motor, andybody remember them??? Jack

qban_flyer
10-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Hey: If you really want to have some fun, put an eskay 400 brushless motor on a 3c lipoly, and enlarge the rudder to 100% more than the way it comes..Cut down a gws 10x4.3 prop to about 5.5 inches, and you will have a very good, very long (on 530 3 cell pack) flight.. We get about 35-45 min..If This thing was any more fun, it would be illegal, and this is coming from a 40 year flyer!! The first electric I ever flew weighed 42 oz. on an old brushed 05 geared motor, andybody remember them??? Jack

I most certainly remember those days. My original Red Zephyr had a total weight of 56 ounces and flew like a dream!