PDA

View Full Version : Best Charger?

Mr.Burns
10-10-2005, 04:08 PM
What is the best all around charger out there? I'm looking at a Vision peak Ultra since I now need to charge Li Po's , Damn the technology!:D

rcers
10-10-2005, 04:18 PM
If I were buying a new LiPoly charger today I would get the 4 port PolyCharge from Great planes....
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAU0&P=ML

Mr.Burns
10-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking for the best all around to charge all kinds of batteries but I dont know if it exists. As I said I'm looking at a Vision Peak Ultra, nice $ and charges every thing. Does anybody know better, please let me know. Keep the good post coming, thanks.

rcers
10-10-2005, 04:40 PM
I use the Triton, and am very happy with it....It charges all types.

Mike

RC-Tester
10-10-2005, 05:32 PM
..... all of these are also good:

Graupner LiPo 4 for 4S up to 3A (low cost)
Schulze ISL4-330 for up to 5.5A and 10S
Hyperion EOS7i for up to 5S and 7A (good value)

++ many other good ones out there as well - but I have experience with the ones above.

Rod

Bob_CO
10-10-2005, 05:54 PM
I have an really like he Triton charger. But for Lipos I agree with rcers' recommendation.

RD Blakeslee
10-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Rod,

I've been counting on using an Apache in a special LiPo application, but recent reports have the latest individuals overcharging, which would be fatal for my application where manual monitoring and charge termination won't work.

The Hyperion won't work either; the charger must be 100% manual. Autodetect of any kind would also defeat the application.

Do you know of a good, manually-settable LiPo charger which holds voltage accurately at or a little under 4.2 volts/cell in series?

Thanks -

- RD

RC-Tester
10-10-2005, 07:37 PM
The Hyperion won't work either; the charger must be 100% manual. Autodetect of any kind would also defeat the application.

Do you know of a good, manually-settable LiPo charger which holds voltage accurately at or a little under 4.2 volts/cell in series?
RD,

The Hyperion *is* a manual charger (set cells, capacity and current). There is a graph of the charge characteristics in IA-Flyers thread here (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333198&page=2) that I posted. The charge termination is also what you want. Of course it does warn on reverse polarity or if charge is started without pack connection.

Have another look at the Hyperion (http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_datasheets/hp/eos7i/eos7idoc.htm) - I don't think you will be disapointed. (it surprised me for the price)

Rod

Tweet
10-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Which charger you want depends a bit on what size batteries you are trying to charge. There do seem to be a number of good choices out there.

Gauge
10-12-2005, 01:57 AM
I am in need of a new charger. I was debating between the Hyperion and the Triton. I am not flying Lipos yet, but will start soon (next year). What would be the best bet for functionality and quality? Triton or Hyperion.

RC-Tester
10-12-2005, 07:05 AM
What would be the best bet for functionality and quality? Triton or Hyperion.
They are *both* quality chargers.
In terms of functionality they are similar, but I believe the Hyperion (at 7A Maximum) allows larger packs to be charged at 1C. Take my comments on the Triton with a pinch of salt as I don't have one myself - just reports from others.

Then it all comes down to the best price you can get one for ....

Rod

Poweredge
10-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Guys..... I have been testing this charger for the past 2 weeks and I have been very impressed.

www.bantam301.20m.com (http://www.bantam301.20m.com)

http://www.bantam301.20m.com/301-front%20(2).gif

I have owned the Super Nova, Super Turbo, Alpha 4, Triton, and Shulz 6-330D. This is the easiest to use and so far has worked very well and inexpensive.

Evan

flyranger
10-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I waited to get into LiPo's until the technology had matured somewhat. I just purchased the ThunderPower TP-425 Charger, the ThunderPower Safety Smart Auto Balancer 205 and a ThunderPower #s 2000mA ProLite LiPo. I read everything I could before purchase and wanted things that I would not "grow out of" and a setup that would maximize my investment. Yeah, if you don't want to crash 'em, don't fly em (my motto), but investing in reusuable items was the way that I went. Will let you know what happens when the stuff arrives.;)

Unbalanced prop
10-12-2005, 01:08 PM
The ICE charger from Duratrax is a nice "do it all" charger with a large display screen and lots of cool features. It has a really nice 40% charge you can use on lipols for storing them.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML

Doug

ragbag
10-12-2005, 05:58 PM
The E Station looks just like my new Multiplex LN5014. Almost the same specs too. Mine was $85.00 plus shipping. Didn't get thte price on the E Station?

By George

Poweredge
10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
The Multiplex has the output jacks on the top, the e-Station has them on the side. Also the e-Station 301 is a 4 amp charger not a 5 amp. The software is slightly different in function as the e-Station has the ability to set the cycling cut off voltage, not sure if the Multiplex has that feature.Bantam makes chargers under many names. I do not know if they make the Multiplex one, but it would not surprise me.

ragbag
10-14-2005, 02:54 AM
E Statiion, $99.95 and it doesn't do BP or gel cells as some call them.
By George

Poweredge
10-14-2005, 10:42 AM
The e-Station 301 is $89.95, not $99.95.

The 301 does not do gell cells. Most people do not use this kind of charger for that purpose. While it maybe a feature of other chargers, I do not think it is very important.

skyvolt12
10-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Red,
The other day when fliping thru various questions I happen to see one where the guy said he had a "chip" that he could convert an AF 110D to a effective Lipo charger. Have you ever heard of that? I wish I could remember who it was. Somehow that sounds to easy
Skyvolt

everydayflyer
10-15-2005, 03:04 AM
http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/0001Y6qZrxDcrzs8Wo1E9l4/store/store-Accessories.html?link=/store/store-type-tem.html&item=products:af-550

Charles

N3CLI
10-15-2005, 05:02 AM
Yes the chip is about $10.00 from astro but you must have the 110D that does discharge. Only the most recent 110D production runs do that.

Check first to be smart.

Fred:) AMA68196

skyvolt12
10-15-2005, 05:34 AM
HI N3CLI,
I did not know that they produced a second charger with the same handle 110D. To bad I can't take advantage of it, mine is the earlier version. I thank you for the Info.
Skyvolt

Rhondas
10-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Guys..... I have been testing this charger for the past 2 weeks and I have been very impressed.

www.bantam301.20m.com (http://www.bantam301.20m.com)

I have owned the Super Nova, Super Turbo, Alpha 4, Triton, and Shulz 6-330D. This is the easiest to use and so far has worked very well and inexpensive.

Evan
WHERE AND HOW MUCH IS THIS BABY:cool:

Rhondas
10-16-2005, 04:23 PM
THE NEW Futaba FBC19B4 Dual Charger, I have an older FCB-8B[4] QUESTION
ALL THE NEWER BATTERIES ARE NIMH, WILL THIS CHARGER WORK WITH NICKEL
METAL TYPE BATTERIES?? WITH A 1100MAH -2300MAH RATING EMAIL ME OR POST ASAP THANKS RONPLANES@OPTONLINE.NET (RONPLANES@OPTONLINE.NET)

:p

Poweredge
10-16-2005, 04:44 PM
The e-Station 301 is $89.95 and you can see all the details at www.bantam301.20m.com (http://www.bantam301.20m.com)

For the Futaba wall chargers, you need a C/10 charge rate. Capacity/10. So if the pack is a 1100, the charger needs to outout 110mah. That would take 14-16 hours to charge.

soarr
10-16-2005, 09:02 PM
What is the best all around charger out there? I'm looking at a Vision peak Ultra since I now need to charge Li Po's , Damn the technology!:D

I really like my Hobbico Accu-Cycle. It charges Li-Po, NiMh, and NiCd cells and has 10 memories settings. You can customize each setting with the # of cells in your pack, capacity (mAh), charge rate, discharge rate, peak voltage sensitivity, minimum volts/cell. The DC input is through a set of banana plugs that plug into the included AC/DC power adapter.

It will charge two battery packs (same or different types) at a time.

Cost is around $140 but it does include the AC/DC Power adapter.

http://www.hobbico.com/cyclers/hcap0280.html

Mike

I_Love_My_ABC
10-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I think this is by far the best value for money digital charger on the market. It was less than $100.00AU as well so for NiCads, NiMh and LiPo's you'll be doing very well if you can find a better one for the price...

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_chargers/swallow_battery_charger.htm

...enjoy!!:D :D

elec3d
10-27-2005, 12:45 PM
im very happy with the swallow mine is the early version i have had for about a year, they are very popular in our local flying club.

i use the swallow for lithium and super nova 250s for nicad nimh
as im not sure if the swallow has a pulsed charge for the nicads.

I_Love_My_ABC
10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
im very happy with the swallow mine is the early version i have had for about a year, they are very popular in our local flying club.

i use the swallow for lithium and super nova 250s for nicad nimh
as im not sure if the swallow has a pulsed charge for the nicads.

I know the later (Plastic cased) version does, not 100% sure if the older one can, I'd assume that it would be able to charge NiCads as it can charge LiPo's though...

elec3d
10-28-2005, 11:04 AM
I know the later (Plastic cased) version does, not 100% sure if the older one can, I'd assume that it would be able to charge NiCads as it can charge LiPo's though...

it charges nicad-nimh ok, but i think its a constant charge not pulsed
im not sure about the new version.

hoppy
10-28-2005, 02:17 PM
RD, the Triton holds 4.2V solid during charge with manually set voltage (for 1-4s) and current. The computer will not let the user set incorrect parameters as to cell voltage (in all cases I've tested at least). It is limited to 4s and 5A. If you want me to test something to see if it meets your needs, let me know.

Bil2
11-02-2005, 08:09 PM
On the recommendation of Backyard Flyers charger comparo, I bought a Wattage Charge-it-all, because it is the easiest one to use.And had everything I want - ac/dc, li-po, nimh, nicad, all connectors, including tamiyo, JST/BEC, internal fanetc., etc. $69.95. (Currently less) And it is easy. BUT....the first one; after plugging it into the wall & connecting a nimh it charged it well. I unplugged it from the wall - and a motor (fan?) inside continued to run...until I disconnected the batt pack. Sent it back, recently received a new one. Same problem. I heard something about how it will run on if the charger needs to cool, but I can't talk to them on the phone & they'll only email me. I love this charger, but I'm worried about my house! Anybody know anything about this? Thanks, Bil2

Rhondas
11-02-2005, 11:55 PM
On the recommendation of Backyard Flyers charger comparo, I bought a Wattage Charge-it-all, because it is the easiest one to use.And had everything I want - ac/dc, li-po, nimh, nicad, all connectors, including tamiyo, JST/BEC, internal fanetc., etc. $69.95. (Currently less) And it is easy. BUT....the first one; after plugging it into the wall & connecting a nimh it charged it well. I unplugged it from the wall - and a motor (fan?) inside continued to run...until I disconnected the batt pack. Sent it back, recently received a new one. Same problem. I heard something about how it will run on if the charger needs to cool, but I can't talk to them on the phone & they'll only email me. I love this charger, but I'm worried about my house! Anybody know anything about this? Thanks, Bil2 I just bought the brain 959 by mrc, Im very happy with it its plug and play or manual, but your problem , check to see if the unit is hot , next if so let it cool and plug the same battery pack back into it and see if it still turns on the fan:cool:

Bil2
11-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Yeah, thanks, The first thing I did today when I got home is get the charger out of its box, where it had been all night and day, and hook up the previously charged battery. Not plugged into the wall or anything, just hooked it up like I was getting ready to charge it. And, I could hear the motor start up inside. Its a shame, i really love this thing - its comes w/all the connectors you'd ever need, ac/dc, programmable as to charge rate, etc., etc., etc. I cannot believe I got the only two bad ones in the US, tho. I have emailed the guy back & asked him to take a new out, charge a batt pack, unplug it, listen in a quiet room, and see if he hears a motor running. If he doesn't, send it to me, and I'll try again. Thanks, folks.

Bil2
11-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Well, the guy said he'd do it, pay the postage and all, so we're going to try a third time. I have only heard from 1 person that all batt chrgrs will run on if the batt pack is not disconnected. Anybody else heard that? Thanks, Bil

Rhondas
11-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Well, the guy said he'd do it, pay the postage and all, so we're going to try a third time. I have only heard from 1 person that all batt chrgrs will run on if the batt pack is not disconnected. Anybody else heard that? Thanks, Bil:cool:

Say whay dont you email the tech information on other chargers with fans like the astro110 ,the trident ,ICE and others ;)

yak
11-07-2005, 03:24 AM
hey,,ragbag.
I

yak
11-07-2005, 03:37 AM
SORRY RAGBAG,,NOT SURE HOW I SENT THAT BEFORE I WAS FINISHED.

i too just got a multiplex ln-5014,and have been very impressed with all it's uses and ease of use,,until now.
on (i'm quessing)about the 10th charge attempt,my charger displayed "chager output problem" and i can't get this to stop happening.
i have'nt hooked up anything wrong or backwards,nor have i spilt anything on it,or dropped it.
in the four page manual that comes with it,there is mention of this "display" but does'nt go on to say what to do about it.

just thought i'd let ya know how i'm making out with mine.
also hoping for suggestions on how to fix this thing (@#$%!)......roy

Rhondas
11-07-2005, 10:11 AM

i too just got a multiplex ln-5014,and have been very impressed with all it's uses and ease of use,,until now.
on (i'm quessing)about the 10th charge attempt,my charger displayed "chager output problem" and i can't get this to stop happening.
i have'nt hooked up anything wrong or backwards,nor have i spilt anything on it,or dropped it.
in the four page manual that comes with it,there is mention of this "display" but does'nt go on to say what to do about it.

also hoping for suggestions on how to fix this thing (@#$%!)......roy:rolleyes:

Thats suppose to be one of the best rated chargers in Model Airplane magizine , page 152, thats the one from AMA that they send you every month November issue ,check it out,you will deffinatley get a replacement from where you bought it or Multiplex may send you another, I know if you buy from tower hobbies, they will always replace there products. let us know how ya made out ????:rolleyes:

ragbag
11-07-2005, 10:50 AM

also hoping for suggestions on how to fix this thing (@#$%!)......roy

YAK,
Sorry I didn't get back quicker.
Went through the "book" as we call it and couldn't find the specific message that you stated. The nearest thing I could find was "OUTPUT CIRCUIT PROBLEM" and the fault was "INTERNAL ERROR IN CHARGER".

My thoughts on that would be something wrong in the charger and would make an effort to have it replaced. I would think you could be asking for trouble big time if you are doing lipo's. We don't need that, for sure.

Anything I would do to try to recreate your problem might damage mine, so I haven't tried. Multiplex makes a good product and they stand behind it, I'm surer they will do the same for you.

I have been using mine almost daily and have not have a problem, some of my friends have gotten them also after seeing mine and how well it works.
Maybe you got the one I usualy get.

By George

yak
11-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Ragbag,
thanks for correcting me on that,as "OUTPUT CIRCUIT PROBLEM" is exactly what the charger displays.
still no luck on finding a fix,so,,,ya,,,,i quess i'll try having it replaced.
thanks for the reply Ragbag.

Roy

debhicks
11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I use the multiplex and it's a $82.99. We can put away our bulky chargers because it charges all the batteries we are using.

http://willstech.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=547&osCsid=4d150204ca671091739d6edab19920a3

JimClark
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Can someone comment on how the multiplex charger does on higher NIMH cell counts like 12 sub c cells? Does it get real warm?

Jim Clark

I use the multiplex and it's a $82.99. We can put away our bulky chargers because it charges all the batteries we are using.

http://willstech.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=547&osCsid=4d150204ca671091739d6edab19920a3

yak
11-21-2005, 06:47 PM
:) hi guys
well,it turned out there was no "fix" for the problem i was having (output circuit problem) with my charger,so i took it back to my L.H.S.(Norburn model aircraft) and Dean replaced it on the spot with a new one.
the only question he asked me was...
"what is it doing".......so he could tell his supplier what it's doing or not doing.
gotta like that kind of service..........................thanks Dean

time to wring it out:cool: .....................................Roy

Rugar
11-21-2005, 07:03 PM
I just bought the brain 959 by mrc, Im very happy with it its plug and play or manual

I hope you don't plan on charging Lipo's with that charger :eek:.

ibman
11-27-2005, 04:33 PM
hello i'm french and i'm trying to have information in order to buy a chargeur for my helico.

i would like to know if http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3001 is a goog chargeur. i'm not a professional and my charger must be easy to use.

is this charger simple, and "fiable".

thank for information

JB

RC-Tester
11-27-2005, 09:39 PM
i would like to know if http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3001 is a goog chargeur. i'm not a professional and my charger must be easy to use.
... much simpler than the Schulze and relatively safe and simple to use!

Rod

Rhondas
11-28-2005, 03:59 AM
this is a good one the trident sold by towers hobbies

qban_flyer
11-28-2005, 09:35 AM
To charge my NiCads and NIMH battery packs I use the FMA Supernova 250 and my old trusty Robbe chargers.

For Li-Po packs I use the Triton exclusively in order to minimize the human error factor when getting the charger ready to be used.Before I depress the charge button on all three chargers, I check my charger settings against to that of the pack's requirements to be charged three times.

So far all three chargers have served me well.

Poweredge
12-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I have been using the new e-Station 301 charger for about 2-3 months and it has worked flawlessly. 1-14 Nicad/Nimh cells, 1-5S lipo's, 1-4 Amp charge rate.

www.bantam301.20m.com (http://www.bantam301.20m.com) for more information on it.

Bil2
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I've got a new Vision Peak Ultra, nicad, nimh, li-po, ac/dc, and best of all, adjustable charge rates from .5 amp to 5.0 amps. The LCD screen shows time of charge, charge rate, volts, and peak votage reached. Good info as I learned that my 8.4V nimh batt packs actually reach around 11 V peak, and final fully charged are well over 10 volts. Really made me understand 'topping off' the batteries is a VERY good thing to do! Seen it for $83 - $90. Bil

Rhondas
12-02-2005, 02:38 AM
I've got a new Vision Peak Ultra, nicad, nimh, li-po, ac/dc, and best of all, adjustable charge rates from .5 amp to 5.0 amps. The LCD screen shows time of charge, charge rate, volts, and peak votage reached. Good info as I learned that my 8.4V nimh batt packs actually reach around 11 V peak, and final fully charged are well over 10 volts. Really made me understand 'topping off' the batteries is a VERY good thing to do! Seen it for $83 - $90. Bil

I think the charger you mentioned is dc only but good quailities:p

Bil2
12-02-2005, 02:45 AM
Its definitely ac/dc. I've got the wires with plugs and clamps to prove it!! Wish those wires had banana plugs, instead of being hard-wired. Be easier to leave 'em in the box, but there it is...Bil

Rhondas
12-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Its definitely ac/dc. I've got the wires with plugs and clamps to prove it!! Wish those wires had banana plugs, instead of being hard-wired. Be easier to leave 'em in the box, but there it is...Bil
sorry B I didnt see any in the picture because of the banana set up,any way you got a good charger.:p

waynezz
12-26-2005, 04:25 AM
I am new to all this charger stuff and I have been looking at buying a Hyperion EOS 5i and wonder if I should pay the extra to get the EOS 7i instead? I read somewhere that the 5i is a copy of the Swallow, is that correct?

rcers
12-26-2005, 05:39 PM
I am new to all this charger stuff and I have been looking at buying a Hyperion EOS 5i and wonder if I should pay the extra to get the EOS 7i instead? I read somewhere that the 5i is a copy of the Swallow, is that correct?

I always say buy the best charger you can afford.

With that said if I were repacing my charger today the 5i would be it. I don't use the memories and can't see paying the price differnce.

Mike

Poweredge
12-29-2005, 07:07 PM
The e-station 301 has now been updated!

Now charges up to 5 amps, adjustable charge rate on lithium (not stuck at C1, you could charge at a lower rate), and PB charging added.

Bone
12-30-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't see Orbit listed anywhere.I like my Orbit.

Rhondas
12-31-2005, 05:02 AM
please post a picture of your Orbit

kudzoo
01-01-2006, 12:12 AM
the graupner lipo 4......less than $30.00...how good does this charger work ??...also is it safe ??...w/o a lcd ??.....thanks kudzoo

RD Blakeslee
01-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Because LiPo marketing has gravitated to series-charged packs, there is relatively little attention paid to a good alternative, even though series-charging has provoked failures, sometimes fires.
The series-charging "fix" has been increasingly complex cell-counting and pack balancing apparatus.

Here’s the good alternative:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388233 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388233)

A CC/CV power supply can be used for charging, e.g.:
http://www.radios4you.com/powersupplies.html (http://www.radios4you.com/powersupplies.html)

The exact voltage (e.g., 4.15 or 4.20) and the exact current required, is set by the user.

- RD

PS: Rod, Hoppy et al, My earlier questions re an "automatic" LiPo charger have been obviated by adaptation of the application to a CC/CV power supply - thanks.

DIALED/CHUCK
01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
I like the Astro 109...but then I need a charger that can do up to 8 cells...

Whats 'better' or 'best' is pretty relative to your app. A friend of mine that I fly with only uses lipos that are up to 1300mAh for his helis...so a 40 dollar Hobbico that can only charge to 1amp max is perfect for 'em.

I will say that my old Vision Peak seemed to have problems when using a car battery at the field and charging anything over 2000mAhs. I thought there was something wrong with my SUV battery....nope...just the charger. The Astro remedied the issue.

Anyway...have fun choosing. Shopping is the most fun part of any new endeavor.

--C

Bone
01-02-2006, 03:33 AM

rcflyer7
01-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Hi guys,
I have been following this thread for a while now and I have a question for you guys.
I am going to use a 3s2p in my Gary Wright E3D and it seem that most of these chargers that have been discussed here only do 5 cells max on li-po's.
I have had my mind made up on the astro Flight 109 charger. Can any one put me on to any other chargers that I can look at before I make the jump and buy one?
Thanks
Rich
Ps I do have the triton but I don't think that it will go as high in the amp department as I need for the 3s2p....am I right in my thinking or am I wrong?

DIALED/CHUCK
01-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Rich,

Each charger is different. My old Vision Peak had problems charging anything above 2600mAhs...could have just been that charger...but a 3100 was taking almost three hours to charge and sometimes not completing the charge at all on higher mAh cells. However, while on my friends little Hobbico 1 amper, it charged a 3100 in about two hours.

I am certain there are others who would know about other chargers...but the Astro109 was the best hundred bucks I spent on a charger...and I am in love with it...it is not healthy, I am sure...but I love it! I got it up at NEAT FAIR this past Sept...and actually needing a second one now so I can get a few going at once at the field.

Whatever charger you choose...call before you buy...I have found that many retailers will sell things to you cheaper than the advertised price as they cannot post a lower price due to 'competition guidelines'...but if you call, they might knock some dollars off the top end...

Hey, we all could use an extra couple of greenbacks in our pocket...right?

--C

rcflyer7
01-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks Chuck,
The 109 seems to be the best one out there for the bigger Millamp packs.
I was just wondering if there were any alternatives out there before I make the leap into the wallet and kick out all of the mothes that are living in there.:)

DIALED/CHUCK
01-03-2006, 08:05 PM
No prob...

My only "bigger charger" experience is with the 109 so I am afraid my resource ends there...

Let us know how you make out...

--C

rcflyer7
01-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Will do.

Kepler
01-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I have a Schulze ISL6 - 636+ which is about 7 years old now. I am just getting back into E-Helis and are also looking at charger options for LiPos.

It looks like I can upgrade the Eprom in my charger to version 8.06 but the Eprom costs as much as most of the mid range chargers on the the market.

Keeping in mind I have a couple of larger E Helis (3.5kg) so I will need to handle large packs, am I better off upgrading the Eprom or should I look at a new lower cost charger for around the same price?

rcflyer7
01-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Kepler,
The astro flight can handle up to 8 amps and I see it for about $117.00 at mec., so depending on how much it would cost you to upgrade the one that you have now , it would be your choice.
Rich

everydayflyer
01-04-2006, 12:08 AM
The Thunder Power TP-1010C is a 210 watt charger.
Up to 10A for 5S and under.
Up to 5 A with 10S.
Multi charge to and discharge to levels.
Street price approx. $180 ,limited quantities and currently on back order.
Companion TP-205V and 210V Smart Balancers add several features and together take most of the work out of managing LiPolys,especially the larger ones.

Charles

Unbalanced prop
01-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Ps I do have the triton but I don't think that it will go as high in the amp department as I need for the 3s2p....am I right in my thinking or am I wrong?

The Triton will only charge to 2.5 amps on that 3S pack. You didn't mention what capacity of pack you are using, but it is probably a lot more then 2500mah, so the Triton will not charge at 1C. It will charge the pack, but might take a couple hours. I like the AF 109 for that size pack, but there are other good chargers out there.

Doug

Elfi Flyer
01-06-2006, 02:20 AM
I work with two Astro 109's, an FMA Versapulse, a Hitec CG330, and a Tekin BC112c. The Astro's are for LiPolys, the others for NiCad and NiMH. Been happy with all of the equipment so far.

Jeremy Z
01-06-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm coming into this thread rather late in the game, but my vote for best charger goes to the Multiplex LN-5014:
http://www.multiplexusa.com/RC-comp/Chargers/MPX-LN-5014.jpg

It is small, about the size of a typical open hand (those are your typical size alligator clips) and does quite a bit. It is also only $85. Here's Multiplex's link: http://www.multiplexusa.com/product_fs.htm

One thing I really like about it over the Triton is that it doesn't waste space or make noise with a fan. It uses the aluminum case as a heatsink. As long as you realize that this is by design and don't panic when it gets hot, you will love it. If you fly large planes that require more than 3 LiPos or 14 NiCd or NiMH, it is not the one, but for most planes designed for electric, it is just the thing to have.

The LCD display gives you so much useful information, such as how many mAhs it has put into the battery, charge time, etc.

It seems to be the red-headed stepchild of multichargers.

Jeremy