PDA

View Full Version : Clancy Lazy E-Bee Brushless Suggestions

poobear
10-10-2005, 11:46 PM
My dad was visiting this weekend and we stopped by the LHS to pick up some parts for my planes and he couldn't resist picking up the Clancy Lazy E-Bee RTF kit. Here is a review (http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4680). I flew it with the supplied battery as well as with a 2 cell 700 Li-poly pack and it flew well with both. It's a great little flyer and a pretty good deal for $99. My Dad has never flown before and the wind was pretty stiff so needless to say it didn't take him long to dive it into the ground which broke the plastic gears on the motor mount and snapped the vertical stabilizer. While he is waiting for the new parts to arrive I thought I would look into upgrade options for him.

I would like to put a small brushless setup on this for him. Does anyone have suggestions on what to use, motor, esc gearbox and prop? I suppose I could always go a bigger brushed... I don't want anything crazy, just more zip etc. I would also like to keep using the 2 cell 700 Li-poly pack.

Thanks for your help.

Matt Kirsch
10-11-2005, 01:37 PM
A bigger motor won't necessarily give you more power, and usually doesn't. This is because a bigger motor is designed to turn at a lower RPM, because it's designed to run on a higher voltage. If you just slap a bigger motor in place of the stocker, you'll almost certainly end up taking a performance hit.

Nope, better to make more efficient use of the power you have, unless you really want to overhaul the entire system... A brushless motor on the same Volts and Amps is at least 75% efficient, versus the "IPS" motor that's only about 50% efficient. That means less power wasted as heat, and more put to the prop.

With that 7-cell NiMH or 2S LiPoly, the Great Planes Rimfire motor with SS8 ESC and a 9x3.8 prop is going to give you such a boost, you won't know whether to soil yourself or go blind :D. Plus, it's not that expensive; $60 for the motor and $30 for the ESC. Plus, if go to a 3S LiPoly and you've got unlimited 3D power for a ShockFlyer or Flatout when your Dad gets bored of the 'bee.

Other options include the AXi 2208/34, the Himaxx 2808-950 outrunner, and the Eflite Park 370 outrunner. They are very similar in specifications to the Rimfire motor, and will offer similar performance.

If future expandability is not an issue, you could also go with the tiny AXi 2204/54. It's a direct upgrade for the 12mm "IPS" drive you're running now, and will give you a heck of a performance shot in its own right.