PDA

View Full Version : Bird attacks plane, surely I'm not alone in this

K CLOSE
03-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Both of these incidents are about two years old, but Xrossbows post got me thinking-- how often do bird incidents happen ? My first incident was with my old winter camo'd GWS ME-109. A flock of canidan geese were overhead when one decided I got too close to them I guess. It dove out of formation and basicly landed on my plane. Ripped out half the right aileron and scratched the heck out of both wings. I got the 109 down, and the goose just flew back up to the flock.
My second "bird attack" was my trusty old GWS Beaver. Painted cream and maroon, with a "w" scallop on the wing-the center of said w extending to the rudder top. I, being a rather foolhardy and optomistic chap, elected to learn to fly with floats at a local pondish/lakeish spot sans rowboat. Bad call, met with a resounding failure about 30 seconds into my first take off attempt. Of course it was right in the middle of the pond. I then tryed to get some of the guys fishing to cast out far enough to get my plane ( all of whom were either too drunk or laughing too hard-often both- to succeed ) Once the motor started shorting, makeing the plane "bob" up and down occasionally, I gave up and drove home and got my rowboat. Yes, I own one. Did not bring it, see eariler foolhardy comment. Upon my return I find my Beaver in the middle of the pond, getting the ever loving c#$p kicked out of it by a HUGE white swan. The swan was squared off with the tail section, wings spread wide like some cheesey paddle boat. Every time my plane would short and bob, the swan would attack it. After I launched the boat and aproached my plane I became thankful for two things. First, that the frikin' HUGE swan was afraid of me and thankfully left as I approached. And second, I was very thankful that I don't speak spanish, as the drunkin fishermen were in hysterics and yelling at me, in spanish, from the shoreline. My broken plane and pride then made for home. Frikin birds.
Cheers:D

crash_out
03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I like chasing the buzzards around here with my flying wings. Never had one turn on me, though...

We have a type of swallow around here that is very territorial. I've had them dive at some planes, but they've never actually hit one.

I've heard of hawks attaking smaller planes. Then again I've heard of hawks attacking people...

Twmaster
03-10-2007, 05:52 AM
There was a post sometime last year about a Red Tailed Hawk attacking a Slow Stick. :D

I once had a hawk express interest in my SS. It turned tail and boogied when I poured on full throttle, pulled inverted and started after the hawk!

Although I will say that hawk was a beautiful bird.

WaldoXerxes
03-10-2007, 10:32 AM
I've had a seagull follow my plane for about five minutes. No interest in attacking it and at the start I couldn't even tell if it was following the plane or not until it had done for about 30 seconds and was still behind it.

Carjacker
03-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Two birds protecting their nest attacked my Dominator two years back, time after time they dived at it.
I got revenge though. :D

vax6335
03-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Little sparrows or swallows or some small birds chase planes sometimes out at the field I fly at. I don't know if they chase them for fun or if they're mad at them.

TeslaWinger
03-11-2007, 03:35 AM
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2007-02-02T171233Z_01_L0298057_RTRUKOC_0_US-AUSTRALIA-EAGLES.xml&src=rss

It's not just our models either!

Grasshopper
03-11-2007, 03:38 AM
I've had a flock of Chimney Swallows attack my Aero Ace. They snapped the tail off and sent it spiralling to a roof top. Got it fixed and went back up for the chase again.

Crash Test Dummy
03-11-2007, 03:53 AM
I have had some small Sparrows or something chase us at our field from time to time. However one day I was flying my BL Stryker and a Hawk started to chase after me. The BL Stryker is capable of about 80 MPH so I sped up and so did the Hawk!! I pulled up into a verticle and did a loop and I was on his 6!! I think he was surprised because he turned his head around to look at my Stryker and then he peeled off to the right and bugged out, LOL!! It was really funny. I was glad he flew away. He could have destroyed my foamy if he really wanted to.:D

CTD

Laggard
03-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Great stories, guys!