PDA

View Full Version : GP Electrifly Dr1

Mongo40
03-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I saw an add where they will be offering the Dr 1 to go with the Se5 and DVII, priced at $99, of course its red but I'm sure someone can come up with some way to fix that. I believe the add was on HobbyTown, with a release date of the end of April. I was hoping they would do one of these, now they just need to do a Spad and Camel.

rcers
03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Yep it should be great!

MIke

WWI Ace
03-10-2007, 01:44 AM
I guess we have two choices. 1) We can recover it or, 2) we can paint it. I saw these too!!!!

Flyer 1
03-10-2007, 05:18 AM
I just pre-ordered mine from Tower Hobbies. (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPZT9&P=0) This way I don't have to worry about saving extra $$ for the motor, ESC, etc., when it finally gets here.
I downloaded the manual and looked it over - looks great! VERY similiar to the D-V11 in design/function. Uses the same motor, battery, etc.
It's a pretty neat, super-high-quality WW1 fleet Great Planes is building, here. Maybe some other manufacturers will catch on and catch UP.
I mean - I've got nothing against foamies (I've got quite a few myself), but there's nothing like a built-up balsa plane for sheer flying pleasure and pride of ownership. Styro warbirds, in general, just don't do it for me if there's a nice wood one instead.
Flyer

thomer
04-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Flyer 1,

I agree. Foamy WWI don't do it for me. Balsa all the way! I hope GP comes out with some more WWI birds!

scalercflyer
05-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Also back ordered mine from Tower Hobbies. They pushed the delivery date back to the end of June! Hope the flying season isn't over when I get it! :mad: Martin

scalercflyer
06-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Fellas, I got my DRI about 3 weeks ago which was on backorder from TH. Haven't had enough time to assemble it. I plan to repaint it ala Waldo Pepper. HOWEVER, I will not put that GIANT sized kit rudder on it! The thing is WAY oversized. I am going to scratch build another to the proper sized scale one. My Buddy, WWI Ace, tells me it will make no difference at all in the flight performance. He should know since he has several. Also if you look at the DARE videos of the DRI, it flies good with the scale rudder. I'm not sure what I'll use for a motor. Maybe use a Brushless motor from Gorrilla Bob's. http://www.gorillabobsshack.com/catalog/ He has great stuff that is reasonable and stands behind it. Comments please Gents! marty

Flyer 1
06-04-2007, 04:17 AM
I'd wait before deciding to use a scale rudder until you've flown it.
Mine flies perfectly with the stock rudder, something you might really need since ailerons are used almost CONTINUOUSLY while flying this little bird. With absolutely no dihedral (both the D-V11 and SE-5A have some), the DR-1 needs rudder to handle sharp turns.
Flyer

gwong
07-24-2007, 09:35 PM
I just bought the last DR1 from the LHS...thinking of getting the recommended bl motor but just curious as to what you are using for motor and prop.

Battery will be TP1320 3S

Thanks,

Gord.

MaxHeadspeed
08-16-2007, 01:45 AM
I just picked up my new DR-1 kit along with the recommended motor and esc. It's too shinny. I've got to determine if I want to change its color scheme and select one that would be easy to see during flight.
My friend and fellow RC plane driver Flying Guy has been driving his Se 5a and loves it. I've been flying the plane on the G3 flight sim at the LHS and did well.
We both use the FutbaCAP. I'll be hooked to the B1-RD using the 7CAP. I KNOW THERE'S NO RED RESET BUTTON ON THE FUTABA TXs. That's what makes RC flying exciting! This plane looks like it will be a blast to fly.
I'll post more as the project progresses toward the MAIDEN FLIGHT.

Biplane Murphy
08-16-2007, 03:27 AM
I'm recovering mine....in a harder to see scheme.:<

Check here for progress:)

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22469

FlyingMonkey
08-16-2007, 03:39 AM
We both use the FutbaCAP. I'll be hooked to the B1-RD using the 7CAP. I KNOW THERE'S NO RED RESET BUTTON ON THE FUTABA TXs. That's what makes RC flying exciting! This plane looks like it will be a blast to fly.
I'll post more as the project progresses toward the MAIDEN FLIGHT.

The one that I have on my G3.5 is the foamy, so it might not fly the same.

I heard that people will scuff the coating with a brillo pad. Or they will use a clear coat that cuts the luster.